Forums > Wing Foiling General

Armstrong HA1325 v HS1550v2 for light wind and downwind

Created by dapara2004 1 month ago, 11 May 2022
dapara2004
59 posts
11 May 2022 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

Would anyone have updated comparisons and contrasts between the foil wings for light wind performance. I am also interested in learning downwind techniques to see if it might be possible on a bay with a 12 km fetch in high winds. Is a large HA front foil like the 1325 or even the 1525 going to be enough without also getting a 6+m wing for a 68kg rider? My light wind setup is currently a 85cm mast, 60/70cm fuselage, hs1550v2, choice of 232/195/fv200/cf300, 95L board and a 5m wing . Any suggestions on how to eek out more in the low end?

foilthegreats
357 posts
12 May 2022 12:42AM
Thumbs Up

1 thing I've noticed is the 50cm fuse is easier to get up and stay up in light conditions then longer in my opinion.

CH3MTR4IL5
WA, 561 posts
13 May 2022 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

I am a few kg's heavier than you and with an HA1125 and a 4m and 95L board can get going in almost nothing, and can glide for a long time on a little bit of swell. With my smaller board which is neutral/slight sinker it is a lot harder but doable.

ArthurAlston
NSW, 39 posts
14 May 2022 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

He went with the HA.

paulweller2
27 posts
14 May 2022 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CH3MTR4IL5 said..
I am a few kg's heavier than you and with an HA1125 and a 4m and 95L board can get going in almost nothing, and can glide for a long time on a little bit of swell. With my smaller board which is neutral/slight sinker it is a lot harder but doable.

Good to know. I'm 82kg and currently using a HS1550V2; I'd like to progress to a HA foil for lighter wind days. I can get going with that and an Armstrong 3.5m V2 (which I believe is is more like a 4m) with decent pumping. The HS1550V2 is great but I find myself keep wanting more glide in the lulls.

dapara2004
59 posts
14 May 2022 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CH3MTR4IL5 said..

Curious which 4m wing and 95L board you are using. I want to work on technique so I can also get going in light wind but want to do it with the right wing that I know works for others. Thank you for the information

CH3MTR4IL5
WA, 561 posts
15 May 2022 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dapara2004 said..

CH3MTR4IL5 said..

Curious which 4m wing and 95L board you are using. I want to work on technique so I can also get going in light wind but want to do it with the right wing that I know works for others. Thank you for the information

My setup is a 4m Duotone Slick, HA1125, 5'4 Fanatic Sky Wing.

I have a smaller board now but was out in glassy conditions on this setup while travelling. This particular day was zero wind and then 5-10kt gusts (dropped out completely at the time I went out). I could pump the hell out of the slick (mini-boom) and then once the foil is on the wave it will go forever with a few leg pumps.

I don't love the combo of the Fanatic sky wing with an armstrong foil because the foil connection point is not flat, but the newer models may be better, mine is the 2020 or so.

I have HA 1125, 925, 725, and I am not contemplating a bigger foil in my quiver - if I got another i'd keep going smaller. I do have a 1550CF that I learnt on, but the HA1125 I can pretty much use in the same conditions, and it glides better.

I never rode the HS's but the HA's are pretty mind blowing, the 1125 feels big enough though.

MidAtlanticFoil
337 posts
9 Jun 2022 4:10AM
Thumbs Up

Just had a stellar session on the 1325 with 50 fuse, 195 tail with a .5 shim. Wind was very light (lightest I've been in with this wing). Flying a 5M OR Glide. Wind was 7-9.5 knts is my best guess, with light surface texture and small swell lines. 65kgs 60L FG.

Reason for this post is that I'm starting to dial in this wing and get to know it better. I want to try and describe this turn/flight pattern I was doing that felt amazing. I've been really enjoying powered up S turns with the 725 and 925 lately (especially on waves and bumps) and tried them with the 1325 in the flat water. It truly feels like a glider. With barely any wind to 'power' the S-turns, I relied more on altitude trimming through the linked turns, with slight power, drive, balance coming from the rigid 5M.

Starting high on foil before diving down into my toeside turn, I would then bank back onto my heel rail and gain altitude to the top of that turn arc in a repeatedly flowing glider flight pattern. Think of it as a pumping motion, but slower cadence with a banked turn at the top and bottom. I was imagining what it would be like to fly a glider and pull this maneuver (much more fun than just up and down roller coaster).
Initially I was allowing too much knee bend through this, similar to pumping, with my bent knees starting the diving turn. Then I thought of KDMaui's more powerful straighter leg stance, which I find relies more on ankle pressure/precision. The added force/acceleration of the turns at top and bottom makes it possible for the foil to drive the majority of my mass, as opposed to the aided 'suck up the knees' standard pump.

Flying the same pattern with different techniques was just a zen moment, flying in the sunset lighting. Cheers.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Armstrong HA1325 v HS1550v2 for light wind and downwind" started by dapara2004