Ozone After Burner - a race parawing?

5 months ago
Reply
Register to post, see what you've read, and subscribe to topics.
zarb
zarb
NSW
714 posts
NSW, 714 posts
18 Aug 2026 6:26am
FrozenGamer said..
these will be showing up tomorrow and i still cant find a decent review, or really any content on them..


The PRv1 basically splintered off in two different directions. The PRv2 went more in the direction of "ease of use", shorter lines, closer to the PowerPack etc. The Afterburner went in the opposite direction.

So if you tried the PRv1 and didn't like the line length or where it sat in the window, you're going to absolutely hate the Afterburner.
If you tried the PRv1 and wanted more of that upwind sauce & speed, and didn't mind the lines, then you'll likely want the Afterburner.

Sorry if that didn't really help much. I've only tried it for a short while.
MeonAsh
MeonAsh
133 posts
133 posts
18 Aug 2026 9:41am
FrozenGamer said..
these will be showing up tomorrow and i still cant find a decent review, or really any content on them..


Ozone haven't released the media blackout on those of us with demo wings. I have video, footage, a whole review done. Can't release it, not sure what the hold up is but what's happening instead is that people are talking about it via text posts on facebook instead of releasing their videos. Once Ozone allow the release of media I imagine you are going to see a load of video reviews appear all at once. I can't imagine it will be much longer but currently the Afterburner wings and their info is not on the main Ozone website, whilst that remains the case we are all just waiting.
AnyBoard
AnyBoard
NSW
499 posts
NSW, 499 posts
18 Aug 2026 1:21pm
MeonAsh said..

FrozenGamer said..
these will be showing up tomorrow and i still cant find a decent review, or really any content on them..



Ozone haven't released the media blackout on those of us with demo wings. I have video, footage, a whole review done. Can't release it, not sure what the hold up is but what's happening instead is that people are talking about it via text posts on facebook instead of releasing their videos. Once Ozone allow the release of media I imagine you are going to see a load of video reviews appear all at once. I can't imagine it will be much longer but currently the Afterburner wings and their info is not on the main Ozone website, whilst that remains the case we are all just waiting.

I think most of us are waiting on independent reviews and the specific marketing details from ozone.

Would it be fair to say that most that have already got the afterburner are ambassadors or sponsored riders or have a retail relationship with Ozone?


WindyBear
WindyBear
83 posts
83 posts
18 Aug 2026 2:02pm
Retina said..
With long lines you don't have the best stashability. Seems like refined v1


Lines is one thing, but how does it ‘concertina’? 😅 that’s the most annoying part of stashing a parawing in my opinion - gathering all those delicate battens together


MeonAsh
MeonAsh
133 posts
133 posts
18 Aug 2026 5:52pm
AnyBoard said..

MeonAsh said..


FrozenGamer said..
these will be showing up tomorrow and i still cant find a decent review, or really any content on them..




Ozone haven't released the media blackout on those of us with demo wings. I have video, footage, a whole review done. Can't release it, not sure what the hold up is but what's happening instead is that people are talking about it via text posts on facebook instead of releasing their videos. Once Ozone allow the release of media I imagine you are going to see a load of video reviews appear all at once. I can't imagine it will be much longer but currently the Afterburner wings and their info is not on the main Ozone website, whilst that remains the case we are all just waiting.


I think most of us are waiting on independent reviews and the specific marketing details from ozone.

Would it be fair to say that most that have already got the afterburner are ambassadors or sponsored riders or have a retail relationship with Ozone?




Probably not fair to say that, I certainly don't have any of the things you mention. Have been lent the wing for a week of riding, it goes back in a couple of days.
foiler9
foiler9
3 posts
3 posts
18 Aug 2026 6:21pm
I’ve used the 5.7 AB for past two days
its super fast flys upwind.It needs to be fully cranked over to get the most out of it.
super stable as long as the lines stay tight.
packing down is harder but not by much.
for me wouldn’t like to take the 5.7 in breaking surf. But light wind blasting and
wrapping it up but not packing it’s just so much fun and full on session.
MeonAsh
MeonAsh
133 posts
133 posts
18 Aug 2026 8:16pm
The lines staying tight is key and it does mean I find myself pulling on the back hand constantly. Going to try adjusting the single point harness back a bit as it is tiring to be sheeting the back hand constantly.
Retina
Retina
130 posts
130 posts
19 Aug 2026 2:04am
foiler9 said..
I’ve used the 5.7 AB for past two days
its super fast flys upwind.It needs to be fully cranked over to get the most out of it.
super stable as long as the lines stay tight.
packing down is harder but not by much.
for me wouldn’t like to take the 5.7 in breaking surf. But light wind blasting and
wrapping it up but not packing it’s just so much fun and full on session.

How long are the lines? For light wind I need to get rid of the parawing fast and armlenght lines are needed in my conditions where we don't have good waves but wind chops. And when there are wind I don't get why I should use afterburner instead of hybrid/semi hybrid with short lines. Surely double skin/hybrid/semi should go upwind better/faster.
foiler9
foiler9
3 posts
3 posts
19 Aug 2026 3:19am
5.7. Middle A line are 180
Mikedubs
Mikedubs
WA
313 posts
WA, 313 posts
19 Aug 2026 4:03am
For light wind if you have shorter lines youll need a bigger size equalling more canopy material, or longer lines and a smaller size. Cant have it both ways. Personally, in light winds I dont have much in the way of waves anyway, my waves come with wind
Sheps
Sheps
WA
154 posts
WA, 154 posts
19 Aug 2026 5:46am
For very light wind boat wake chasing on the river I’ve found the PRV2 5m extremely good. The ability to pump this wing is exeptional and the line length and canopy make packing on the wake easy. I certainly could pack longer lines but I’m skeptical the AB would add anything to these sessions and likely take something away.No way do I need to spend crazy money when the tools already do the job. When the wind picks up to 15 knots iI swap over to hybrid 4.3 which I can ride well into the mid 20s. The AB could be a contender for sure but again the hybrid is doing the job so well already. Good to see the development but the price seems hard to justify. My money better spent elsewhere, namely foils and mast where incremental performance gains matter more.
FrozenGamer
FrozenGamer
8 posts
8 posts
22 Aug 2026 4:35am
Really looking forward to more reviews on this one. If there's some kind of NDA period, I haven't been made aware of it, so I'll go ahead and post a few thoughts.
For context: our conditions here are pretty gusty, with big occasional drops in wind. I'm in my first year of parawinging with maybe 25 sessions under my belt, most of them in less-than-easy learning conditions. I've got a few stashes down and some variety of gybes, and I can tack. Depending on the day and my energy level, I'll hit most of them — or miss over half. So take all of this with the grain of salt that my experience level deserves.
Low end: Good to great. But like pretty much every parawing I've used, if the wind gets too low it tends to collapse on one side and drop toward the water — or at least threaten to.
Pumping: As good as, and probably better than, the other three wings I've tried (Pocket Rocket v1, v2, and the Naish Morph — stay away from that one, unless you want to buy mine cheap... lol). You can sometimes get two or more reasonable pumps out of it, versus the single pump I could manage on the others.
Gust handling: Handles gusts really well. I haven't posted any amazing speeds on it yet, but you can stay out on the same wing well past the point where you'd normally be switching down.
Upwind: Honestly not sure I was going upwind any better than on the v1 or v2 Pocket Rocket. I feel like I still have to figure that out.
Tacks/gybes: Tacks and gybes very well — noticeably better in feel than the Pocket Rocket v2.
Stashing: I was surprised how easily the 4.3 dropped into a concertina without really trying. The 5m wasn't as good — though a lot of that is probably me.
Price: I do wonder if Ozone is going to price themselves out of a lot of sales. That said, it's a pretty solid product for those who can afford it and don't mind the cost.

Question: which of the entire quiver should i keep.. i feel like here in Alaska i will be using my 5 the most and have need for the larger for ship wake thieving on lower wind days. I think i could do 90% of my time in la ventana mexico on the 4.3 and nothing else (because of the gust tolerance) Gonna need something to get on a wave in the biggest nastiest days that most sane people don't go winging on. - Has anybody else bought a quiver and if so which sizes did you choose? Cheers.
FrozenGamer
FrozenGamer
8 posts
8 posts
22 Aug 2026 4:36am
MeonAsh said..

FrozenGamer said..
these will be showing up tomorrow and i still cant find a decent review, or really any content on them..



Ozone haven't released the media blackout on those of us with demo wings. I have video, footage, a whole review done. Can't release it, not sure what the hold up is but what's happening instead is that people are talking about it via text posts on facebook instead of releasing their videos. Once Ozone allow the release of media I imagine you are going to see a load of video reviews appear all at once. I can't imagine it will be much longer but currently the Afterburner wings and their info is not on the main Ozone website, whilst that remains the case we are all just waiting.


Looking forward to your review, please post here.
meoweth
meoweth
17 posts
17 posts
22 Aug 2026 8:23pm
Had a session on the 6.5 afterburner today. I usually use the 777 pt skin 7.3 and i have also the 777 hybrids. The 6.5 felt almost exactly like the hybrids. I'm no expert on parawing, having around 7 months of expeirence, maybe total 20 sessions. I am not able to tack, I am getting my jibe rate up recently to like 75% on the 777 7.3m, but i am still not good at jibing in very light wind. I can stash it with one hand and ride waves, my redeploy rate is like almost 50%. I am getting alot better and starting to have more fun. Overall, Ive found myself using the pt skin more than the hybrids recently, because I dont need the extra upwind right now and I prefer having a higher success rate of jibe and overall better ease of use. I found that the hybrids are even harder to jibe and also they tend to stick to the water when they touch down and you lose it. So put simply, my skill level isnt at the point where I should be riding the hybrids. I absolutely love the 7.3 skin and i am making lots of progress. The 6.5 after burner felt exactly like the hybrids. I went from having like a 90% success rate of jibe on the pt skin yesterday, to less than 10% jibe rate today on the afterburner, the only 2 jibes i did was the behind the back jibe which is easier than the normal jibe i think sometimes. No matter what I did, I coldnt do a normal jibe with it, my normal jibe isnt very tehcnical, I just do it based on feeling, but with the skin, it just kinda works , especially if the wind is strong, and i feel like ive never learned the correct technique b/c i just wing it and it works most the time. The one jibe that I almost never miss is the toeside back to heelside jibe, it is so easy that it's almost impossible to mess up. Yep, the afterburner I was missing those jibes like crazy, i almost couldnt do one. As for the low end, it was what you'd expect for a 6.5, perhaps it woud be like a 6.0-6.2 if you counted it as a pt skin, but nothing to talk about there. The upwind was definitely better than the skin, im not sure if its the same as the hybrid or slightly worse. The high end was probably also similar to the hybrid, maybe a bit worse since its a single skin. But my impression overall is that the afterburner really feels like a hybrid more than a single skin, and it requires you to be really good and technical. For me it was just too advanced, but i'm sure if i was much better, than it could suit me. I just need more user firendliness and dont need the extra upwind or extra high-end compared to ease of use that I want.
MeonAsh
MeonAsh
133 posts
133 posts
25 Aug 2026 8:47pm
This is my take on the Afterburner.

My view is slightly different to some other reviews as I don't see that a higher performance parawing should be not recommended to beginners if it is stable, has decent low end and a wider wind range - which the Afterburner ticks all the boxes. I didn't feel it was as hard as a starter wing than the Pocket Rocket V1 that many of us learned with.
I read the post above this with some interest on gybes but that is for a huge 6.5m wing and I think the struggle there is high aspect size more than anything as I didn't find the smaller 5m hard or technical to gybe at all.


CFL Foiler
CFL Foiler
169 posts
169 posts
25 Aug 2026 9:36pm
I have yet to find footage of an AB doing a normal dw jibe 🤔
BWalnut
BWalnut
WA
1330 posts
WA, 1330 posts
25 Aug 2026 9:59pm
From Ozone:


MeonAsh
MeonAsh
133 posts
133 posts
26 Aug 2026 2:42am
Sure, ozone want to sell you a pocket rocket v2 first and then later an afterburner. I'm just saying it's not any harder than a pocket rocket v1 ....which most of us learnt on.
AnyBoard
AnyBoard
NSW
499 posts
NSW, 499 posts
26 Aug 2026 5:33pm
I learnt on the PRv1 and although i think the V2 was pretty good there are some attributes of the V2, when pushed hard , that make me look forward to a wing like the afterburner that maybe can be pushed a lot harder.
I started teaching my wife on the V1's and quickly moved her to the V2. I have been forced to really appreciate just how good it is at making the journey easier and except that my criticisms are features for most who are early in their journey.

I think its easy to say the afterburner is easy to fly when you have lots of experience and that is who the designers might be targeting. I think most people will be much better off on the V2 for a long time.


Microsurfer
Microsurfer
231 posts
231 posts
27 Aug 2026 3:47am
Gav on his review stated it was the most anticipated PW release of the year. Did everyone else know about it & I was the only one who missed the memo?
BWalnut
BWalnut
WA
1330 posts
WA, 1330 posts
27 Aug 2026 3:55am
Microsurfer said..
Gav on his review stated it was the most anticipated PW release of the year. Did everyone else know about it & I was the only one who missed the memo?


Nah you’re good. PRv2 was the most anticipated by far. Afterburner has very minimal excitement surrounding it from what I can tell.
maxpwr
maxpwr
QLD
82 posts
QLD, 82 posts
27 Aug 2026 8:09am
I enjoy Gav's videos but I'm starting to take them more as interesting foiling content, rather than as gear reviews.
MeonAsh
MeonAsh
133 posts
133 posts
27 Aug 2026 6:42pm
BWalnut said..

Microsurfer said..
Gav on his review stated it was the most anticipated PW release of the year. Did everyone else know about it & I was the only one who missed the memo?



Nah you’re good. PRv2 was the most anticipated by far. Afterburner has very minimal excitement surrounding it from what I can tell.


I think this is because the AB was seen as being a race orientated product - so most people ignored it as racing focussed products usually mean - not for the masses, niche, all focus on speed and no focus on ease of use, experts only.
It's also why Ozone are now very keen to keep saying it is not a race wing, because everybody associates those negative attributes with race products.
Sheps
Sheps
WA
154 posts
WA, 154 posts
28 Aug 2026 6:25am
MeonAsh said..

BWalnut said..


Microsurfer said..
Gav on his review stated it was the most anticipated PW release of the year. Did everyone else know about it & I was the only one who missed the memo?




Nah you’re good. PRv2 was the most anticipated by far. Afterburner has very minimal excitement surrounding it from what I can tell.



I think this is because the AB was seen as being a race orientated product - so most people ignored it as racing focussed products usually mean - not for the masses, niche, all focus on speed and no focus on ease of use, experts only.
It's also why Ozone are now very keen to keep saying it is not a race wing, because everybody associates those negative attributes with race products.


It clearly is a race specialist wind that does e

MeonAsh said..

BWalnut said..


Microsurfer said..
Gav on his review stated it was the most anticipated PW release of the year. Did everyone else know about it & I was the only one who missed the memo?




Nah you’re good. PRv2 was the most anticipated by far. Afterburner has very minimal excitement surrounding it from what I can tell.



I think this is because the AB was seen as being a race orientated product - so most people ignored it as racing focussed products usually mean - not for the masses, niche, all focus on speed and no focus on ease of use, experts only.
It's also why Ozone are now very keen to keep saying it is not a race wing, because everybody associates those negative attributes with race products.


From what I’d read and heard so far it really does sound like a race specialist wing to me. Certainly not a wave specialist wing nor upwind specialist for those in big conditions wanting comfort. No doubt really shines in calmer conditions where vmg is your obsession. Pack down on hybrid I’m fairly sure will be easier and I really enjoy the packing these down. So much hype on the AB so soon after the hype of the PRV2 which is now classified by some wrongly perhaps as a beginner wing . Have to read between the lines and work out what type of riding you do and consider the opportunity cost for what your getting with so much green. Wind range makes this a more attractive option financially but so does the hybrid which is considerably cheaper and easy to pack down, Bottom end on AB sounds good so this attracts me a little.
AnyBoard
AnyBoard
NSW
499 posts
NSW, 499 posts
28 Aug 2026 12:57pm
This is how i see the market as I wrote on another forum.
Firstly we got the Maliko and its poor behavior convinced most that this wasn’t even going to be a sport and in fact stalled the sport for a brief moment.

Along came the PR V1 and although its performance has stood the test of time so many complained. The lines are too long, its too high aspect to get going off the water with power or pumping my legs, i can’t pack it up because i don’t want to practice on the beach. Others were ripping upwind in relative comfort and accepting that a packdown required some technique but loved how amazing it sailed including jibes. hahaha

In response to the above the manufacturers delivered what an upwinder might call under preforming, but easy to pack and fly at least and had people thinking that shuttles are still the go. PP ,quest, Kanaha, 777 UWDW just to name a few.
Now we have PRv2 that should make most people very very happy including all the V1 complainers. If that is you and you want to be pulled off the water without pumping your legs, with packup and deploy success without too much planning, easy to learn on with market leading single skin upwind then ozone listened. My wife is currently learning on these V2’s.
For those of us that immediately sold our DW boards and have pushed and experienced the limits of the V2’s, when powered up, going hard upwind, then we look forward to possible solutions like the after burner. It needs to provide great VMG with comfort and as long as it packs only as good as a V1 PR or better we will be happy.

PP = waves and shuttles.
PRV2 = great all round access to all the disiplines of parawinging with great upwind and learning characteristics.
Afterburner = Advanced riders pushing very hard upwind and those looking for sailing performance at speed.
Its pretty clear and simple.

flowstate
flowstate
190 posts
190 posts
28 Aug 2026 11:35am
AnyBoard said..
….with market leading single skin upwind….



been for a spin on a BRM S3 in 20+ knots?
AnyBoard
AnyBoard
NSW
499 posts
NSW, 499 posts
28 Aug 2026 7:22pm
flowstate said..

AnyBoard said..
….with market leading single skin upwind….




been for a spin on a BRM S3 in 20+ knots?

No.


I read the same stuff as you probably. I have heard it’s a good wing but a little uncompromising on the bottom and top end.

i will be able to report on the ab in 20 knots very soon.
Youngbreezy
Youngbreezy
WA
1298 posts
WA, 1298 posts
28 Aug 2026 6:31pm
Goddamn that is one expensive parawing! From what I’ve seen Ozone hasn’t really given any explanation as to why it costs so much more? It’s about $1000 more than a PRv2 and even significantly more than a full double skin from PPC. Not just trying to be a hater but why there is such a massive price increase.? Surely materials are construction can’t be so different to the other wings in their lineup?





Mikedubs
Mikedubs
WA
313 posts
WA, 313 posts
28 Aug 2026 7:52pm
More ribs, more cells, more complexity, more Labour, kevlar lines etc
slashdotdash
slashdotdash
22 posts
22 posts
28 Aug 2026 8:34pm
Youngbreezy said..
From what I’ve seen Ozone hasn’t really given any explanation as to why it costs so much more? It’s about $1000 more than a PRv2 and even significantly more than a full double skin from PPC. Not just trying to be a hater but why there is such a massive price increase.?

Ozone believe there are enough people who are willing to spend that much money on more performance. We may have to wait and see what happens. It’s not good news for us consumers if these incredibly expensive prices become the baseline for high performance parawings.
Please Register, or first...
Topics Subscribe Reply