Would You Eat Mouldy Shellfish?

You probably wouldn't eat mouldy bread, let alone an oyster which is well past its use-by date. So at this time of year, perhaps you should think twice about picking up shellfish from the beach, which have been covered in Algae!

As the weather heats up, the air and water temp combo are reaching prime breeding conditions for Algae blooms. Up on the Hawksbury River, around Eden in NSW, levels of algae are already reaching high levels.

The particular species the NSW DPI have detected, is known to produce Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning Toxins, which in severe cases can lead to breathing difficulties and even paralysis. Cooking the shellfish doesn't kill the toxins, so if you crack one open and slurp it down, you might be in for a nasty shock!

For more details visit the NSW Food Authority Website.