Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2010 Ozone C4

Created by daPole > 9 months ago, 29 Sep 2009
koma
VIC, 760 posts
15 Nov 2009 1:52AM
Thumbs Up

Nice little review there DaPole.
Can you comment on it's turning style and unhooked performance?
I assume the depower is SLE like given it's bridling, but really interested in how it flies when pushed.

PS. I'm rather interested as i'm about to jump onto the Torch bandwagon and am interested in my options.

daPole
WA, 87 posts
15 Nov 2009 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Koma,

Unhooked performance - I love Power, I love my F16's just as much as I love a nice, decent, Bertrand Fleury style kiteloops.
As soon as I started to go unhook yesterday the firs word that came to my mind was Smooth. Smooth Power Delivery and nothing like a sudden I-will-slap-you-in-the-arse, the old C shape like X4 or high aspect ratio kites style had.
Even the gust absorbing when I was unhooked was surprising! winds on my home spot are never not-gusty BTW.

"its turning style" - as I mentioned that kite is fast. That 11m didn't feel like any C, 11m kite I know. It felt like I was handling a smaller kite. It is fast Koma. It turns smooth and quick. I will repeat my self but - there was no sudden power increases, the power was smoothly progressive during, for example, a downturn.

I hope that helps mate :) This kite is nothing like have ever tried before (and I am kiting since 2001 heh). Have a test ride and enjoy :)))

regisurf
2 posts
17 Nov 2009 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hi daPole,

I've tried the Edges RX 9&11 and liked the bar pressure, the depower and more but found that the feeling in the bar was kind of "automatic gearbox", i mean, there is always a delay between the time the gust hits the kite and the moment you feel it in the bar, a delay between the bar input and the turn of the kite and i didin't like this, bit too soft, too smooth (I have SS Revs 2).

On the paper,the C4 is what i'm looking for: C-shape (with depower / compact bridle), plastic tube round depower rope, no pullies.
You say that the power delivery is smooth...
Can you tel me if, compaired to the edge, it is more directly reacting to bar input and wind force changes?
I mean, can you add a comparaison with the Edge to your post of 15/11/09 7:36am?

PS: DO you know if there the 50cm bar fits all sizes?

Thanks.

Kites arrived today, if Eole agrees, testing is planned this w-e...

Regisurf

daPole
WA, 87 posts
18 Nov 2009 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Hoi, Salut or Hallo Regisurf (depending on which of the main, Belgian languages is yours J

To be honest I have tested Edge RX only for a few tacks and it was almost year ago hence I don’t remember it’s performance or bar pressure specifically. I only remember the feeling. I didn’t like Edge RX and I swapped it for Sport +. So, sorry, I can’t compare it to the Edge RX.
With regards to the kite reaction or “delay” – The kite was reactive. I remember a few kites with quite slow response (lazy) but this one wasn’t like that. I didn’t notice any delay or anything unusual to how the kite was responding to a bar pressure.

50cm bar fits all I reckon. I had it on 9, 11, and 13 but there are few more sizes available hence I would ask your distributor if a 50cm bar will fit say a 5 m kite #61514;

Sound to me like the only thing that will “correctly” respond to your questions will be a test ride (something tells me that you will enjoy it #61514; have a go and let us know what you think.

Veel Succes!, Bonne Chance!, Viel Glück!

Cheers,
dapole

21 Nov 2009 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Rider Weight: 76kg's
Level: intermediately advanced
Style: Freeride, Surf on TT's
Weather: 12 - 35+ knots
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: You know who I am!

Comes in sizes - 5m 7m, 9m, 10m, 11m, 12m, 13m, 15m
Sizes tested and on demo at KP Sydney - 9m, 11m, 13m

This past week I have several hours on the 3 kites above, I've ridden the 11M the most. I've relaunched the 9M and 11M, have not crashed the 13M, bit have ridden it for approx 3-4 hrs, the 11M for approx 6-7hrs and the 9M for approx 90 mins.

Key points are that that kite is a C kite with depower on demand, it turns like a C kite, tight and pivotal, with plenty of power on tap in the turn and no tendency to stall or spill too much air and lose power mid turn, IF you hold the bar in, but if you want some depower when you are landing, its there. Pushing the bar out depowers the kite 60-70%, but the kite does not immediately flutter and start falling when the bar is released, unless the wind is below optimal for that size.

I like this feature and think its what most intermediate to advanced riders want in kites now. This allows the rider to screw up a trick and probably grab the bar again after the crash/burn and get ready to go again manouver.
Begginers with good kite skills could easily learn to kite on this kite (after lessons).
The kite unhooks perfectly straight out of the bag.
Bar pressure and turn speed can be adjusted with different tabs on the rear line connections. I prefer the medium setting on all the kites, I like a bit of bar pressure.

There are no pulleys on these kites and feel from the kite is very direct and smooth, I found I hardly ever needed to look at the kite and could tell where it was easily, even when under water from a crash/plonked landing.

I rode the 11M yesterday in winds up to 33+ knots at Kurnell, this was not the ideal wind range for me but it was doable and I stayed out for approx 1hr plus. There was another rider out who weighs in around 100kg's he was on the 13M, we both had massive boosts, upwards of 12M, with feather soft landings, because the kite is so easy to redirect and you can leave the redirect to quite late on the way down. The kite can also be swung back for booting from lower in the window than bows, and thats part of the technique to boosting large on them.

The kites are extremely stable and although I have not tested them in waves yet I think they will be a very nice wave kite. Hopefully an experienced wave rider will test one and review it soon.

The one word that all riders that fly the kites express is "smooth". They do not have the same low end as some bow.hybrid.sle kites, but once they are in their range they are excellent and exciting kites to fly.

The new bar is excllent, it has finger grips, with a perforated eva foam cover, bigger centre hole to allow the kite to be depowered while turning, and to stop any binding with the through the bar front line flag out system

Wind range for me
9M - 25/35+ knots
11M - 17/30 knots
13M - 14/25 knots

Here are some pics on no particular order.

koma
VIC, 760 posts
21 Nov 2009 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

It seems that 'smooth' description keeps coming up. I'll be very keen to nab it for a ride when i see one out on the water in Melbourne.

Nice photo's Steve - except the photo's of the green one make it look like a really low AR kite. Almost definitely just the camera angle though... as the red one looks spot on.

23 Nov 2009 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

Kp Geelong will have some demos this week, and SHQ in Sandringham are an Ozone dealer too. I'm sure they both will have kites available for testing in Melbourne.

Here's some more pics of the bar and lines, repair kit, and the bag.
There's one pic that did not get uploaded, it shows the 3 pieces of cloth that come in the repair kit that match each kites LE and canopy.

23 Nov 2009 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Since I could not edit my post above and I forgot to post this graph, here it is, the wind records from last Friday, you can see the gusts and wind myself and the BFC were out in between 4ish and 5 ish.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Kitehard
WA, 2775 posts
Site Sponsor
23 Nov 2009 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Haha!

Our C4's finally arrived, YAY! immediately after the weekend where we had epic wind of course

I look forward to testing the kites on Wednesday with some nice strong winds. Demo's available from Wednesday onwards!

Cheers,

KH

dutchy1985
213 posts
23 Nov 2009 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hi kitehard, can you please crash one out behind the surf and let me know how the relaunch goes?
I need to know how it goes 'off piste' and not just on the 'groomed runs' if you know what I mean.
It seems to me that there are a lot of boogeyboarders turned wakestylers who trial things in flat water and then claim the relaunch is amazing.

Kitehard
WA, 2775 posts
Site Sponsor
23 Nov 2009 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dutchy,

No worries mate. Fair dinkum, no BS review to follow shortly.

I just unrolled the 12m on the front lawn in the dieing light and am embarrassed to say I felt as nervous and excited as a teenage virgin about to get laid. LOL! It took me back to 2003 when I first unrolled the Airush 11.5 Lift Pro [}:)]

God I hope they live up to expectation, I hate writing bad reviews on new gear.

I'll test relaunch in 25knot 'Pinnachop', thats about as bad as it gets

Cheers y'all,

KH

axis
VIC, 399 posts
23 Nov 2009 11:55PM
Thumbs Up

Red on right of bar?? Deviation from standard convention.

Is it easy for non monkey arms to reach the depower. Bar looks nice and clean.

Is this a new chicken loop release?

tobes
NSW, 1000 posts
24 Nov 2009 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

axis said...

Red on right of bar??

I was going to point that out, I'm pretty sure that those photos all have the bar backwards, but it's worth checking eh?

The Chickenloop looks the same as the 09 megatron.

Fingers crossed that i can take one for a spin at Mambo.

24 Nov 2009 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

dutchy1985 said...

Hi kitehard, can you please crash one out behind the surf and let me know how the relaunch goes?
I need to know how it goes 'off piste' and not just on the 'groomed runs' if you know what I mean.
It seems to me that there are a lot of boogeyboarders turned wakestylers who trial things in flat water and then claim the relaunch is amazing.

They are a cinch to relaunch, pull one rear line, no swimming unless you put it in, right out at the edge, then either pull one line to get it more downwind of you and then pull the other or swim to one side a bit.
They like to relaunch more downwind or hotter than some modern high depower kites, but they relaunch easy, not like old style C kites at all in that way.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

24 Nov 2009 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

tobes said...

axis said...

Red on right of bar??

I was going to point that out, I'm pretty sure that those photos all have the bar backwards, but it's worth checking eh?

I never even noticed that I took 3 pics all with the bar wrong way round LOL's.

Guys imagine the bar spun 180, can you stretch your minds that far??

Red is on the left, same as all other kites.

There will be several on demo at mambo and one lucky punter will win a 9M C4 complete, as part of the Ozone sponsorship of the event.
Kitepower will be giving away another Ozone kite too, so thats 2 Ozone kites up for grabs, just for paying your entry fee and having fun.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

axis
VIC, 399 posts
24 Nov 2009 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower Australia said...

tobes said...

axis said...

Red on right of bar??

I never even noticed that I took 3 pics all with the bar wrong way round LOL's.

Guys imagine the bar spun 180, can you stretch your minds that far??

Red is on the left, same as all other kites.

There will be several on demo at mambo and one lucky punter will win a 9M C4 complete, as part of the Ozone sponsorship of the event.
Kitepower will be giving away another Ozone kite too, so thats 2 Ozone kites up for grabs, just for paying your entry fee and having fun.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Waddya mean bar spun 180 degrees. Huh? Can you post a pic?

kitesurfbali
WA, 531 posts
25 Nov 2009 3:56AM
Thumbs Up

Kite is amazing...
by spring every kite brand will start to make C kite with bridle!!!
I don't even know what to ask for from a kite, simply perfect...
Tomorrow hopefully wind will be better and I should be able to get few hours under it.
Bye Jankie

regisurf
2 posts
25 Nov 2009 3:57AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

C4 tested sunday 22 with my mate kitayatollah...

www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2360068&p=627294

Cheers.

Regisurf

Bohdi
3 posts
25 Nov 2009 4:22AM
Thumbs Up

Down under, do you guys pronounce the brand Oz 1?

Kitehard
WA, 2775 posts
Site Sponsor
25 Nov 2009 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

I had the opportunity to ride the new 12m C4 today in winds varying from 17 knots up to 25 knots. I even used it in the course racing this afternoon in 25 knots on the course race board. Fkn scary fast and not much depower at that speed on the course board!

I'll do a more in depth review later when I have a couple more hours on the kite but preliminary feelings are these.

The kite is really beautiful to look at and the construction is in a class of it's own. I self launched without any incident in the same manner I would with an SLE/Hybrid. Easy!

The thing you forget about true "C" kites is the lesser power in comparison to Deltas and hybrids. I launched the 12 in 17-20 knots and was powered but only just comfortably powered. I was still able to boost respectable jumps but there was so much more in the tank.

The kite is really easy to fly and feels so familiar that it takes nothing to get the best from the kite. It doesn't really feel terrifying like the old "C" kites because it has depower, plenty of it. I reckon around 70% depower. If you moved the stopper ball down to about half way on the depower, it'd still be easy to notice it's a modern "C" by the smooth flight, but in all other ways, it's a "C".

It moves quick and is very fast in the turns for a 12m, more like a 9m. The smoothness of the kite is obvious and the relaunch is exactly as stated, simple and hybrid like. Just pull a back line leader.

More review when I've had a bit more time on it. Bloody fantastic kite so far and certainly worth a demo.

Cheers,

KH

Kitehard
WA, 2775 posts
Site Sponsor
30 Nov 2009 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

I've ridden the C4 for quite a fair amount of time now (5 days) and reckon I've sussed it out enough to be able to write a decent and honest review.

If you want to read the full review, click on the below link or I'll just give you the summary here

www.aksonline.com.au/index.php/kite-reviews/ozone-kites.html

Summary

"The kite is very predictable, totally reliable, and so easy to manage that there is no need to get used to this kite, it just does everything so perfectly that there is very little challenge in mastering it which allows you to fully focus on your riding and the tricks you want to nail. My own thoughts are the kite will impress and be perfect for learners all the way through to advanced or people wanting to experience a real no brainer "C" with good performance and no bad habits, but if you are an expert rider looking for an edgy, twitchy and aggresive kite with raw performance that is ready to take a bite out of your ass if you screw up, then you need to keep looking coz you won't find it in the C4. It's totally easy, smooth, dependable, quick, reliable and high quality and will suit most riders who want to experience a good "C" kite that will allow you to improve and further your freeriding and freestyling reportoir. A demo is a must!"

There you go, see you on the beach!

KH

Bohdi
3 posts
30 Nov 2009 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Great summary kitehard and having demoed the 9m for 3 sessions (6 hours+ in total) I would add that only riders thinking about competition (at the regional level) will find this kite too gentle for a true C.

tobes
NSW, 1000 posts
4 Dec 2009 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

I had a chance to demo the 11m and 9m last weekend, the only sensible thing I can add to the above reviews is-
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
4 Dec 2009 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

Second that :) SIIIICK Kite

Kitehard
WA, 2775 posts
Site Sponsor
4 Dec 2009 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

I had a chance to demo the 10m C4 this week in good breeze and want one more session on it before I review this little gem.

Summary: It aint like the 12m. This one is a weapon to behold

More to follow as I get time....

KH

stoff
WA, 181 posts
4 Dec 2009 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

I got a chance to ride the 12m last week. Currently i'm on '06 9 & 13m Fuels.

To be honest i was a bit disappointed with the 12m. Compared to the 13m fuel it
didn't jump as well or go upwind as well and felt a little gutless (even tho the wind was over 20kts) Turning speed was about the same. But it was super smooth.

On the other hand, i saw darren out on the 10m a couple of days ago and that kite looked great, huge jumps, fast easy loops and flying upwind. Look forward to trying it.

rusty7
QLD, 504 posts
6 Dec 2009 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

after nearly 6 months on the sidelines recovering from a nasty knee injury.... i had my first day back on the water on Saturday....A 20 knot seabrez, sunny day and my new C4 11m. my knee collasped a few times and ridin upwind with my damaged leg as my back foot was pretty hard.but it was enough to decide i really like this kite. the kite was powerful and fast, very good up wind and boosted extremely well with a heap of hang time (at 95 kilos i really test this feature out on kites).. i bailed out on the landings a few times as i didn't want to push the leg to much but mostly managed to get some nice soft landings. I stayed away from looping the kite. But i know this kite is gonna be fun to loop. All round good kite.I normally ride the Ozone Edge and will stick with it for my light wind gear but i am very happy with my choice to change to the C4 for my higher wind gear.

Kitehard
WA, 2775 posts
Site Sponsor
15 Dec 2009 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

I've had a couple of weeks on the Ozone C4 10m now and am happy enough to give it a review.

The 12m was a fantastic kite in just about every respect as mentioned in my previous review and I wasn't sure what to expect from the 10m. We eventually got it out on a 25 knot day and took it for a spin.

The kite is an exact replica of the 12m, clean structor devoid of bits and pieces of stuff that doesn'yt need to be there and the simple Ozone graphic looks great on this kite. I won't go into all of the finer points about the construction and the quality of fittings etc etc as it has been said before by others with more cred than myself.

What I will talk about though, is it's flying characteristics coz, at the end of the day, it's why I buy kites. The 10 is immediately different from the 12 in that it is super nimble and very quick. Straight away I was grinning just bringing it to 12 o'clock, you can feel the power and performance without having to dive or loop it. It just feels crisp and exciting.

Jumping on the board I did a couple of runs to get a feel for the kite before doing anything crazy and I usually ease myself into a few big jumps, some rolls and some unhooked raleys and stuff. It was great fun and boosted huge straight away with perfect feedback and a real sense of exactly where it is without the heavy bar pressure. I later moved the back lines to fast turn/lightest bar setting and it was even better.

The fun is in the fury of it's performance, speed and smoothness of its flight. The C4 just eats up gusts and makes tragic wind fun again. Come barreling in at speed send it,boost to the moon and loop the kite at the apex. Words will never be enough to describe the nervous anticipation as you crank the bar and time stands still for a non second before the kite cuts away into the turn and drives hard in a wide arc producing a smooth but tremendous power throughout the loop, exhillaration as the downwind speed radically goes through the roof , fear as you look down from 30 feet and see the water rushing up to meet you, and the feeling of relief as the kite returns to 12 o'clock bringing with it a smooth decelleration for a very fast but controlled landing. These feelings are so exciting and create an intoxicating blend of emotions that strike fear and ecstasy into every move.

The Ozone C4 has finally done it, it has knocked off the old Airush 11.5 Lift Pro of 2003 as the most exciting kite I have ever flown. Unbelievable performance in a "real" feeling kite that is easy enough to use for early stage intermediate all the way up to pro level.

I can't talk highly enough of the C4 10m. Just awesome! See for yourself, grab a demo on one.

Cheers,

KH

benjury
WA, 3 posts
19 Dec 2009 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

This kite is incredible. I test drove one a couple of weeks back, the thing is amazing. it is super stable, huge hangtime, constant power when performing downlooped transitions, and so predictable for a C!
what got me the most tho was the effortless riding, the static power on demand was incredible - just pull the bar in and you were sent, no need to work it.
if i had to have a winge about anything, it would be that if you didnt get your jump launch right and you ended up swinging under the kite, it had no tendency to drift back, just fell out of the sky and you were into a water relaunch (easy to achieve by the way). also, the depower system on the bar uses a cleat system which is not my fav as can wear and become useless (happened with my LF Havoc). These are small prices to pay however.

One more thing that was surprising, in 22knots i felt underpowered on the 10m. I own a cab switchblade and would have been easily overpowered on this (due to kite shape of the bow having a larger effective wind area).
So.... I am buying an 11m!!

21 Dec 2009 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

benjury said...

This kite is incredible. I test drove one a couple of weeks back, the thing is amazing. it is super stable, huge hangtime, constant power when performing downlooped transitions, and so predictable for a C!
what got me the most tho was the effortless riding, the static power on demand was incredible - just pull the bar in and you were sent, no need to work it.
if i had to have a winge about anything, it would be that if you didnt get your jump launch right and you ended up swinging under the kite, it had no tendency to drift back, just fell out of the sky and you were into a water relaunch (easy to achieve by the way). also, the depower system on the bar uses a cleat system which is not my fav as can wear and become useless (happened with my LF Havoc). These are small prices to pay however.

One more thing that was surprising, in 22knots i felt underpowered on the 10m. I own a cab switchblade and would have been easily overpowered on this (due to kite shape of the bow having a larger effective wind area).
So.... I am buying an 11m!!

You won't have wear issues/slipping issues with the Ozone cleat system.
Plastic buckles and webbing are not really up to the job and they all wear/break/slip eventually, puzzles me how the plastic buckle is still being used on kites?

The Ozone cleat is designed for the job and the rope is too. The rope is called beal line and does not get chewed up by the cleat and generally lasts a very, very long time.

Timing with jumps is quite different and I see people make the smae error as you when they first use the kite because they are not used to the turn speed and how low and late you can send and redirect the kite. Give it a few more sessions and I bet you are landing all your jumps.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2010 Ozone C4" started by daPole