Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2011 Ozone Reo Wave Kite

Created by AKSonline > 9 months ago, 21 Apr 2011
lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
10 Jul 2011 1:33AM
Thumbs Up

I mainly wave ride,well thats what I call my lame ass riding as,but
like to boost on the way out and jumping transitions etc.
How is the lift on the reo compared to the catalyst???????

Love the wave riding of the 10m catalyst,drifts so good being so light,, but, the lift is a bit lacking,,IMO.
Am chasing the best of both worlds.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
10 Jul 2011 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

kiter63 said...

I'm shopping for a couple kites (still doing demo's) and hoping to get a ride on the Reo's. Would like to hear more feedback on these kites as to their all-around performance ... how are they in flat water, boosting etc. I'm wanting to push my surf riding a lot more but still ride the slicks. It doesn't need to boost me to the moon but still be fun. Also unhooked and loops.
Some of the reviews seem to say different things in this area.
So far have demo'd BWS Noise, Switch Nitro/Method, North Rebel, Switchblade.
Still want to demo the Reo, Fuse, RPM and Wainman before deciding.
Thanks
Tony

Sounds like the C4s should be on your demo list if you want unhooked and looping performance as well as good boosting. They won't drift as well as the 3 strut lower aspect kites but as all rounders they are awesome. I was concerned about relaunch when I first got my C4s but they're really quick and easy.

inside grunt
WA, 72 posts
10 Jul 2011 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hey DM off topic slightly, when are the 2012 rebels due in the shops?

Slack
WA, 685 posts
10 Jul 2011 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

inside grunt said...

Slightly off topic! are you joking? Why dont you just call or pm DM

inside grunt
WA, 72 posts
10 Jul 2011 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Take it easy mate, the guy owns a kiteshop. I was just asking a question about a kite!

toddws
WA, 468 posts
10 Jul 2011 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ Order has been placed early/mid September I think, and on the boosting question if seabreeze comes to the table with the forecast we'll see tomorrow at Point Walter.

edhead
NSW, 54 posts
10 Jul 2011 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a 3 strut C4.

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
10 Jul 2011 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^^ nah, lower aspect and wingtips are swept back more than c4

I think we've got enough info on the kite now. Let's hear about the new bar!!!!!!!

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
10 Jul 2011 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

inside grunt said...

Hey there inside grunt,

No stress mate. LOL at the red thumbs from the Ozone crew. The Rebels and Vegas are due in early September most of the twinnies and surfies too I think.

Watch our FB page or our Blog and you'll be one of the first to know. ;-)

DM

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
10 Jul 2011 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

edhead said...

Looks like a 3 strut C4.

I think It looks like a hybrid of the catalyst and the c4. Maybe the best of both?

kiter63
45 posts
11 Jul 2011 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

djdojo said...

kiter63 said...

I'm shopping for a couple kites (still doing demo's) and hoping to get a ride on the Reo's. Would like to hear more feedback on these kites as to their all-around performance ... how are they in flat water, boosting etc. I'm wanting to push my surf riding a lot more but still ride the slicks. It doesn't need to boost me to the moon but still be fun. Also unhooked and loops.
Some of the reviews seem to say different things in this area.
So far have demo'd BWS Noise, Switch Nitro/Method, North Rebel, Switchblade.
Still want to demo the Reo, Fuse, RPM and Wainman before deciding.
Thanks
Tony

Sounds like the C4s should be on your demo list if you want unhooked and looping performance as well as good boosting. They won't drift as well as the 3 strut lower aspect kites but as all rounders they are awesome. I was concerned about relaunch when I first got my C4s but they're really quick and easy.

I probably am over-complicating things. I want to focus on improving my strapless riding in the waves but still want to use that kite elsewhere. I realize that I'll be making a compromise somewhere. Just wondering if the Reo could be an all-around kite or is it more of a wave-only kite. The BWS Noise is advertised as a wave-only kite but I feel it could be a good all-around kite.

Just looking for some feedback on the Reo as an all-around kite.

Thanks
Tony

simonp
209 posts
11 Jul 2011 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Most of the Ozone guys here have gone out and bought Reos, there were 3 flying around at my local this weekend. They are pretty low aspect, less than a C4, Catalyst, or RPM. They still seem to jump really well though. Once thing I noticed that the canopy flaps a bit on kite loops and big pop transitions. Doesn't seem to affect handing though. One of our local guys that they felt really good but handled quite differently to a C4.

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
11 Jul 2011 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

wow...
Got them this arvo and raced down town beach and hit the wind slop.
Now town beach here is just wind slop and is nothing like surfing with a down the line wind on proper swell but after the wind we had yesterday and last night there was some gutless head high chop to pretend to surf. I just wish I had the kites yesterday as the wind was honking (the rigs off here got a 100kn gust and a few hours worth of 80kn gusts, thats cyclone material and they were expecting possible 40 to 50kn gusts but thats another story I am just glad nothing ended up on the Ningaloo Reef).
First impressions were the bag is simple like the catalyst but have somewhere for your pump and bar with mesh on the sides so they can breeth. Then what no inner bag? No probs never used them anyway.
Pumped the kite up and the kite felt very light but was hoping for less graphics.
Launched it and zipped it round a bit then had to check I got the 10 and not the 8, This thing is fast but doesn't grab a lot of power.
So jumped on the sb and sure enough it had enough power but it flew around like an 8 and nice direct feeling with no lag on the up stroke.
Then out to the waves and in onshore slop it moved around like an 8 and even turned when going straight at it. There was no yank when sending the kite or looping it and it didn't seem to shoot across the window like most kites.
One thing that ozones have always had is very light bar pressure but on the middle setting the reo was heavy with great feel.
For those that want an allround kite I don't know how it will go but for waves it can make even the most average surf fun.
So yes I sell them but I will sell anything and if your on a surfboard I bet it will put a smile on your face that you didn't know you had.

toddws
WA, 468 posts
12 Jul 2011 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: Weight 90
Level: (intermediatte)
Style: Surf
Weather: 13-15kts flat water
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: I work for AKS and sell this brand

Ok so we had a little wind yesterday at Point Walter so we tried the Reo on the flats.
As has been mentioned by the other testers the kite is super light and responsive so this helped make up for the low wind we flew the 10m in 13-15kts

Does the Reo boost, yep in a similar to the catalyst, let's be honest it's not the C4.

Does it loop, yep similar again to the way the catalyst and most other hybrids loop, power at first, then nothing, then a little power as it comes back up, nothing like the smooth constant power of a 'C' kite looping.

Where it excels is speed ( the 10m had the same speed as a 8m catalyst, and was almost as quick as a 6m) and precision . There were a couple of time I nearly put the kite in the water because I was sine-ing it so low to the water (but rather than the catalyst where there is a slight delay and I'd have probably rinsed it off) a slight tug on the back of the bar and the kite was out of the danger zone and on its way back up. But if you want to park it 4 inches above the water the kite will happily sit there.

If you wave kite 80% of the time love the precision of a surf kite, and occasionally free ride with a twin tip, then the Reo is a kite you should demo.

If you freeride 60%, and the other 40% of the time head out in the waves, the Catalyst would be more suited to your riding style.

If you want to out and out boost, freeride and want to maybe get into racing the Edge has your name on it.

If boosting, looping and freestyle is your bag, then the C4 should tick your boxes.

But hey, I ride North Fuses so what do I know.

Bog
WA, 43 posts
12 Jul 2011 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

toddws said...

But hey, I ride North Fuses so what do I know.

Haaaaaaa haaaaa LOL

Jedibrad
NSW, 526 posts
14 Jul 2011 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

^^^ nice reviewing ^^^

SUPtheblog
WA, 55 posts
15 Jul 2011 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

So with the Reo's are peolpe compareing an 8m Reo is similar to a 9mt kite power wise or does the 8mtr Reo feel like an 8mtr kite, or maybe 7mtr kite.
Similar does the 10mtr Reo feel like a 10mtr kite or is it like a 9mtr kite or 11mtr kite. Same goes for the 6mtr kite is it like a 5,6 or 7 meter kite.
What opinions have Leighton or Scarb kiters got for the size kite they will use in a Freo doctor seabreeze in summer, Say about 16-22knots what would you use in 22knots to 28knots
I weigh 84 kg ride a North Wam 5'10"
Not affiliated with any company
Can I use the 2010 Core GT bar with this kite, it rubbs skin off from between your fingers when rining one handed but I love the swivel system.
I am not close to kite shops so just cant get the answers testing one out myself for a while unless some ones heading to Albany with one! to Demo

omg
278 posts
15 Jul 2011 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

CoLD, exactly my thoughts! I would like to know what's the power like? Comparing C4 11m2 2011 to Vegas 12m2 2010, the Vegas has handsdown more power and the turning speed of the C4 was less than Vegas. There are few kites with high turning speed but less power (like Religion etc.) to similarly sized kites so effectively you are just riding a smaller kite.

15 Jul 2011 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Some words from Ozone's news feed.

The REO is our latest creation designed purely for waves and surf board riders, this is a dedicated wave riders kite.

What is the criteria for a wave kite I hear you say.. Well, we and our riders think it needs to have fast handling, float down the line, good relaunch, megga de power and plenty of power to get you back up to the lineup. The REO is the result of more than a year's development.

We wanted to create a kite that was versatile in all aspects of wave riding.so if you wanna park & surf or loop it down the line, hooked or unhooked, the REO is designed to deliver in all these circumstances.

MORE INFO HERE ozonekites.com/products/water-kites

REO - The Story

The Reo has been a blast to develop. It has involved all of here us here in the Ozone HQ, Hugh, Torrin, Matt and myself but also our close friends, Pagie, Armie and Dave Edwards.
Together we have chased waves all round the North Island of New Zealand, all in the name of "testing". It was a labour of love. Love of the ocean, love of being out there and of course a love of the waves.

Between us we have a range of different styles and experience and this has helped define the Reo. Torrin is a force to be reckoned with in the waves, flat out pro rider that has no fear and pushes the limits strapped or unstrapped. Dave Edwards is a strapless monster no matter how big and gnarly the conditions, very impressive to watch. Pagie is a ripping surfer turned kiter and rides accordingly! Armie has been on the wave charge since the beginning, he is a fearless strong rider no matter what is thrown at him. Matt, Hugh and myself are what I would describe as "Having it" but with less experience than the others however we are still pushing ourselves hard.

The Reo is not my baby, it is a piece of all of us and I think that is why we all love it. We have come off the water so many times just buzzing and raving about the kite and our sessions. It has fuelled our passion for wave riding and helped us push our abilities to new levels.

So what is so good. Well, I would describe it as an extension of your body, this kite can be flown so many ways but it delivers outstanding performance no matter what your style. Hooked in it can float down the line effortlessly, it's quick precise handling means you can put in the right spot and just ride the wave as hard as you can. If you slack line it, it still floats rather than falling out of the sky, it just drifts back and you have time to compensate and get the lines tight again.

If you like to move the kite a lot then it responds just perfectly, fast and direct. Unhooked it leaves you with nothing to do, the drift is perfect so all you got to do is concentrate on the next lip or section you are going to bosh.

I could go on but it's better you read the reviews
( www.flyozone.com/kitesurf/en/products/kites/reo-wave-kite/reviews/ ) otherwise it is going to sound like a sales pitch and I would hate to sound like that. As with all Ozone products we like you to decide for yourself rather than believing us.

Rob Whittall - Ozone Kites Designer

Link to article
www.flyozone.com/kitesurf/en/news/headlines/18866?source=rssfeed

Demos available now right around Australia, including SHQ in Melbourne.

SUPtheblog
WA, 55 posts
15 Jul 2011 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Kite Power Nsw. Yeh I went to the links which had Nathans & Darrens review but this did not answer my questions in any way! We know from all the media what the Rio is supposed to do! I am just after a bit of local WA conditions info on kite sizes for wind speeds and not just in a chart form. Just more opinions from owner riders..............And this was my questions!..............
So with the Reo's are peolpe compareing an 8m Reo is similar to a 9mt kite power wise or does the 8mtr Reo feel like an 8mtr kite, or maybe 7mtr kite.
Similar does the 10mtr Reo feel like a 10mtr kite or is it like a 9mtr kite or 11mtr kite. Same goes for the 6mtr kite is it like a 5,6 or 7 meter kite.
What opinions have Leighton or Scarb kiters got for the size kite they will use in a Freo doctor seabreeze in summer, Say about 16-22knots what would you use in 22knots to 28knots
Can I use the 2010 Core GT bar with this kite, it rubbs skin off from between your fingers when rining one handed but I love the swivel system.
I am not close to kite shops so just cant get the answers testing one out myself for a while unless some ones heading to Albany with one! to Demo

Slack
WA, 685 posts
15 Jul 2011 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hey ColD,

Reo demo kites have been in Perth for about 2 weeks now but the weather has been s#!t so that is probably the reason no one has posted an answer to your specific questions.

So you'll just have to wait like the rest of us.

Cheers
Slack

SUPtheblog
WA, 55 posts
15 Jul 2011 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers thanks Slack i will wait a while then

15 Jul 2011 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

ColD said...

Thanks Kite Power Nsw. Yeh I went to the links which had Nathans & Darrens review but this did not answer my questions in any way! We know from all the media what the Rio is supposed to do! I am just after a bit of local WA conditions info on kite sizes for wind speeds and not just in a chart form. Just more opinions from owner riders..............And this was my questions!..............

Marty Littlewood has some demo's at Margs, and also Simon Peterson has some as well as a dealer down Augusta way (contact AKS for details of the Southern WA dealer).
I've only flown the 8M in strong and gusty conditions, to me it felt like an 8M. Everything Robbie says above is true, he is not a person to overstate anything and he is an amazingly passionate kite designer.
And yeah, we are all waiting for decent conditions to try them for sure!

toddws
WA, 468 posts
15 Jul 2011 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

ColD
We had an 8 and a 10 at mullaoo today in 15 to18 knots
Me on a 10, at 90kg and NickT on an 8 at 80kg both on surfboards. Not ideal conditions as quite westerly with lots of shore break, but i ride a 10 fuse and as steve said a 10 is like a 10, no BS about 10 means a 6 and 12 means a 14.
I was undercooked at 15 but fine at 17, but the forecasted 20 would have been awsome. As other have said, new kites to demo + no wind = major Ball ache.

From the first batch of kites we recieved, two were ordered for a customer in either albany or esperance (i'll check at work tomorrow) and i'll try hook you up with him to demo.

Nath
WA, 113 posts
16 Jul 2011 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

This might be useful to some riders - based on WA seabreeze conditions.

On a 5'8' Wam (and weighing 70kgs) I'm finding the best choice for kite sizes for me are:
·         15knts = 10m REO
·         20knts = 8m REO
·         25knts = 6m REO

Shan and I compared a 10m Reo and a 11m C4 on freestyle boards and thought the Reo had a touch more grunt than the C4. As others have said, jumps seemed longer/floatier compared to the C4s punchy vertical boost.

Other things that I have found include:
·         If you are using an older set of lines, ensure the lengths are perfect
·         I'm liking the smooth power stroke and light, direct steering with rear lines attached closest to wing tips (lightest setting)
·         Lock the valves on each strut to get best performance and easiest relaunch if pounded by waves
·         Clean any sand off the large inflate valve when inflating kites
-  Make sure you've got the right pump fitting when leaving for a downwinder with mates

Nath

SUPtheblog
WA, 55 posts
16 Jul 2011 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys thanks for your inputs Esperance is 460kms away Margs is 380kms away Perth 400kms any way winters here with crap winds!!!! keep up the reports iam keen to try one. Hope they live up to expectations!!!!

GoVertical
1 posts
8 Aug 2011 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone tried the 4m Reo? I read that some of the R&D was done in NewZealand where they have plenty of 30+ knot wave days, so hopefully they got it dialed. I already have a quiver of Catalysts and like them in the waves and was thinking that the slower turning of the Catalyst might be a good thing with a kite as small as 4m. Basically, I want a usable, stable, 4 or 5m wave kite that is not a bumble bee on crack. Several teenie weenie kites I have tried years past were very on - off: They would shoot through the window like lightning, then the power would go to nothing when they reached the edge. Very hard to modulate power. Any comments on teenie weenie kites of any brand would be appreciated.

On the other end of the range, I'm getting a 10m Reo for sure as my light wind kite and am hoping the faster turning will be an improvement over the Catalyst.

6m Catalyst is awesome in the waves and I'm wondering how the Reo could even improve on it.

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
8 Aug 2011 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Hey GoVertical,

We sold a 4m to a good customer here in Perth. I don't know if he's had much water time on it but I'm certain if he sees your post he will give you some feedback..

All feedback on the 6m's and others have been very positive.

DM

8 Aug 2011 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

GoVertical said...

Anyone tried the 4m Reo? I read that some of the R&D was done in NewZealand where they have plenty of 30+ knot wave days, so hopefully they got it dialed. I already have a quiver of Catalysts and like them in the waves and was thinking that the slower turning of the Catalyst might be a good thing with a kite as small as 4m. Basically, I want a usable, stable, 4 or 5m wave kite that is not a bumble bee on crack. Several teenie weenie kites I have tried years past were very on - off: They would shoot through the window like lightning, then the power would go to nothing when they reached the edge. Very hard to modulate power. Any comments on teenie weenie kites of any brand would be appreciated.

On the other end of the range, I'm getting a 10m Reo for sure as my light wind kite and am hoping the faster turning will be an improvement over the Catalyst.

6m Catalyst is awesome in the waves and I'm wondering how the Reo could even improve on it.

The Reo's were developed in and around Raglan NZ, and the final tweaking of the 4 and 6M was done down south in NZ somewhere, I just can't remember where it was, but I do know its a windy area, and cold. I remember hearing that Torrin thought it was cold, and he is well used to windy and cold conditions.

I've had nothing but extremely positive feedback about all Reo's, including the 6M, have not sold a 4M on the east side of the pool yet. Everyone the rides them, even die hard loyalists of other brands say they are the best wave kite on the market, and I've even have some say they are ok to fool around on flat water too.

Plummet
4862 posts
9 Aug 2011 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

Here is where they will have tested it. Amongst other Naki wave spots. It is indeed a location of big waves and big wind.

Now I have a question. I'm currently running an 8m light as my high wind kite. using it 25-40 knots. I'm looking at a 6m reo as a replacement. Conditions will look like this photo in 25+ in my location its waves, waves and more waves. then some more waves for good measure.

Given that the 8m light isn't a very powerful 8m will the 6m reo be similar but slightly less powered? I'm grinning on my 8m until 35 knots then its hold on for grim death. I kinda want something to do 25-45.

PS i'm on a wave TT not a surf board.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 Ozone Reo Wave Kite" started by AKSonline