Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2013 Ozone C4

Created by Big eeeZeee > 9 months ago, 27 Jul 2012
1 Feb 2013 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Plummet said...

But I have to say for me the deal breaker is the bar pressure. Too much bar pressure screws my elbows and since I ride one handed about 60% of the time the high bar pressure is just annoying. I've been flying with superlight bar pressure since 2008.

I flew the 9M and 12m C4 again recently, no way I could describe the bar pressure as heavy, or even that difficult to ride one handed.
Maybe this issue for you is just more to do with your powered to overpowered freeride style and riding in waves a lot?

We have sold quite a lot of C4's now and no-one is giving me that feedback. Same say the bar pressure is perfect for wakestyle. Others say its heavier than the 2012 and I would agree, but its not like a truck or an old Crossbow, nothing like it. Feels very direct and powerful, the pressure is only there in the turns actually, to ride along on flat water one handed and do small corrections, the kite feels like the Cat 2013, which I also ride a lot.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
1 Feb 2013 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh I must admit I didn't find the 15m that heavy...I really want to get on it again and observe carefully some of the things Plummett has said as we seem to have a similar style and I trust what he has to say on certain things. Then again I was on dead flat water at the pond so next time it will be in the normal ocean spot I go. Will see I suppose.

But then again, the extra low end, I suppose something has to change.

Been on the 15m Steve? Seeing as though thats your light wind kite of choice and one thats at the top of my list until I get on the new zephyr?

Plummet
4862 posts
1 Feb 2013 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower Australia said...
the pressure is only there in the turns actually, to ride along on flat water one handed and do small corrections, the kite feels like the Cat 2013, which I also ride a lot.

ok well i guess its unfair to say super heavy bar press.

i've only flown it in gusty 20-26 knots and 18-25 knots. but thats the gravy for my 2011 10. i also have done a session on my 2011 since then as well and grinned the whole time. I certainly prefer the 2011 by a factor of 10 to 1.

ps. i do very little parked flying. I fly the shiit out of the kite and quite usually tack back and fowards in the break going no more than 100m out. so i'm signing to get it up to speed, jumping , directing, looping onto the wave, working it to crank upwind then another transition and to it all over again. my turnaround is about 1min per wave.
so that probably explains it i'm constantly turning the kite so to me its constantly heavy (well heavy compared to all my other kites)

1 Feb 2013 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Fair enough, your description of how you ride, makes me think you should just get Reo's or Cats.

Plummet
4862 posts
1 Feb 2013 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

i have 2012 cat 8m and 6m reo. both nice kites. but lacking zing in the jump department until real powered. thats what i liked about the c4. snappy jumps and fast turning.

WA, 1255 posts
1 Feb 2013 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

fark me, this whole plummet and his new C4 thing is going on for eeeeeveer!

Plummet
4862 posts
1 Feb 2013 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

hehe your right. lets move on

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
1 Feb 2013 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower Australia said...
Fair enough, your description of how you ride, makes me think you should just get Reo's or Cats.

Yeh speaking for plummet and myself I might be wrong, but I'm just not convinced YET that ozone have moved the new cat along the spectrum enough towards the C kite ish zone.

A guy I have been speaking to flies edges as well and highly rates this years cats as opposed to earlier seasons, and yet another I have spoken to thinks they haven't changed much really, unless once again in their mid to upper range. So I'm bloody confused so gonna hit Westoz up again I hope for another ride on the 10m cat this week coming to sort this sh1t out once and for all. Doing my head in I can tell you.

And default...fair enough but I would say quite of few C4s were sold on the back of guys like plummet promoting the freeride aspect of the C4. You have to give some understanding to a bloke whose just lost his fav kite design in the sweet range for kites, 18 to 25. It would be like if they dramatically changed the edge! I'd be devo' big time.

But the wake stylers it seems re loving them and that was ozones intention, so good on them it seems they are achieving what they set out to do. For me I'd like to see (from my three rides on the new cat, they breed in even more spank), but I'm a power hungry mofo.

Gonna ring Jason RIGHT now!

Plummet
4862 posts
1 Feb 2013 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

heres a question. Is there really that much wake styling going on in the world?
I honestly dont know!

round here im in a wave location populated by gnarly old dudes shredding monster waves. the only time i see boots is when a tourist calls in.

Is the wake movement bigger than freeriding? i would have thought freeriders would out number wake stylers 10 to 1.

dafunk
QLD, 559 posts
1 Feb 2013 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

tried my 2011 10m on the new bar and it felt no heavier imho
was overpowered at times 20kn and was a bit choppy
should of rigged the 8m doh !

wakestyle is heaps harder imho thats why theres less wakestylers

WA, 1255 posts
2 Feb 2013 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Haha, sorry plummet and eppo.. Just ignore my tanti

Still haven't used my 13, yesterday looked perfect for it but after the last 17 days had to sip wines on the beach with the missus instead. So still no comparisons against my 2012's.. Albeit can only compare to my 11m

Where's rowdy anyways?.. Would be interested to hear his opinion. Plus it looks like he's using non ozone bar with his C4's.. ?

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
2 Feb 2013 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, demo the Cats with the line lengths tuned and in their appropriate wind ranges and you'll be stoked. Send those puppies with just the right amount of sheeting and you can choose whatever combo of glide and height you like.

On my 8m in crazy gusts yesterday and the range and stability continue to impress me. Also the medium aspect made me confident to jump high even in the gusts as the kite would catch me adequately even if I jumped into/through a hole. The C4s would tend to "plummet" a bit more if you found yourself up there with less wind than when you took off.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
2 Feb 2013 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

Nice play on words you word sleuth you. Hopefully will find out this week. Will report back.

benchy
QLD, 60 posts
9 Feb 2013 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Big eeeZeee said...
Anyone else notice wing tips flapping and vibration through the lines. Especially notice this on my 12m near the top end. Didn't get this on the 2011

I have only noticed a bit of vibration through the bar when near top end and have a lot of depower trim pulled. With no or a small amount of trim pulled I can't notice any.

Plummet
4862 posts
10 Feb 2013 2:31AM
Thumbs Up

Rode my 2011 c4 yesterday in a kitebuggy, on my landboard and in the water.
Such a fun kite. I'm so bummed they've changed the design past what I enjoy.

but looks like i might be doing a deal to swap for a only used twice 2012 c4. So ill get to a couple more years of glorious c4 action before i have to consider a change.

PS i'm assuming 2012 and 2011 c4 are very similar.

dafunk
QLD, 559 posts
10 Feb 2013 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

did my 1st unhooked sbend the other day !
you can imagine how happy i am ;-]
c4 unhooked makes it easy ish .

WA, 1255 posts
10 Feb 2013 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

First sesh on the 2013 13m yesterday.

Freestyle/wakestyle bridle setting, 50cm bar/25m lines. Rear lines at shortest knot and lightest bar setting on wing tips.

Noticed the heavier bar pressure straight up, considerably more than my 2012 c4 (11m) but as the sesh grew longer kinda got used to it.. And it is a big kite after all. I see plummets point of view, not sure I would want to be sending and sining the kite everywhere, especially one handed. More of a park it at 45 and do some tricks kinda kite.. For which it was designed for I spose..

Apart from the higher bar pressure I really liked the kite. Looking at freestyle/wakestyle alone I think it did everything better than the 2012 and doing tricks seemed easier and brewed confidence. Unhooking especially easy and controllable. On sending the kite, it boosted awesome and probably did the highest boost I've done to date (serious nose bleed stuff, actually had to tone down sent stuff) but first impression maybe not as much glide after boost as the 2012.

Overall my satisfaction level was high and really enjoyed the session. Looking forward to the next one on it

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
10 Feb 2013 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Oh you have a 13m C4. Hence I get your focus in a bigger edge. Okay.

WA, 1255 posts
10 Feb 2013 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Plummet said...
Rode my 2011 c4 yesterday in a kitebuggy, on my landboard and in the water.
Such a fun kite. I'm so bummed they've changed the design past what I enjoy.

but looks like i might be doing a deal to swap for a only used twice 2012 c4. So ill get to a couple more years of glorious c4 action before i have to consider a change.

PS i'm assuming 2012 and 2011 c4 are very similar.

Yeah I think you'll love the 2012.. Very similar to the 2011, but a touch more bottom end. I've been told the 2012 was like a '10 and '11 mixed together

Drewm
VIC, 159 posts
12 Feb 2013 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

opened this thread, realised it was on page 9....

conclusion: ozone riders spend too much time on seabreeze, while everyone else is out enjoying their thousands of $$'s worth of kite gear

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
12 Feb 2013 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

Your conclusion may be only one possibility...

You are not very good at logical proofs are you?

Drewm
VIC, 159 posts
12 Feb 2013 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

who uses logic these days?

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
12 Feb 2013 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

Drewm said...
who uses logic these days?

True...true...

thesmelliott
2 posts
12 Feb 2013 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

I have had a 2013 C4 9m now for about a month now and just bought a 2013 12m as well after falling in love with my 9. I have only had one session on the 12 but prob about 12 on the 9m. Im just new to ozone as these kites are the first ive owned so im no expert but thought id share my thoughts.
The first few flies on the 9m i wasnt quite convinced i had even bought the right kite at all, it had no bottom end and popong was just no what it should of been, after changing the knots under the floats it was a bit better and i was told to just stick at it, ozone take a slightly different style.........well i tell you what im glad i did because after about 4 sessions on it im hooked, this is the best behaving kite i have ever flown, ive got the timing all soughted out now so airs are even better than ever with the softest of landings, looping (just learning) is easy on the kite because i can feel what the kite is doing without even looking at it. ive seen people have said the bar pressure is high but to me its one of the lightest ive owned, maybe a tad up there when its turning under power. I also had a mate spend a few minuts on my 9M as is now the proud owner of one himself.
Unhooked is so well behaived im progressing in leaps and bounds and having a blast doing so
Thanks for the great kite ozone, you just got yourself a big new fan

TsC4
13 posts
14 Feb 2013 4:12AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

Riding for and with the Ozone C4 from the beginning so i can tell the differences on all C4's.

For the first time this years C4 is more freestyle/wakestyle'ish than ever, sits further back but also has much more hangtime and gives you a soft landing.

The steering seems a little slower on freestyle setting (only tried this setting since i have only had 2 sessions on the 9m), maybe because of the smaller bar and i used to ride the 9m with a 50cm bar.

Can't tell you much more now but i like to do kiteloops and they are definately much more extreme

Dragonpig
NSW, 45 posts
16 Feb 2013 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

Was thinking about selling my 12s for the upgrade but sounds like i should just stick to them ;-)

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
16 Feb 2013 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Just experienced the same issue with the 2013 c4 as I have with the 2011's. When crashing from an unhooked trick somehow one of the steering lines gets caught somewhere around the wingtip of the kite (hard to pinpoint the exact location when it's in the air). This causes one of the steering lines to be shortened significantly (perhaps 20 to 30cm). The kite can still be flown but it pulls to one side and makes it a hell of a mission to try and get it back to the beach.

I've had it happen to me about 4 times now in about 2 years and it's a ****ing prick. One of the times it ended up in me having to completely release the kite in order to get back into shore. I'm still uncertain as to where exactly the back line is catching but the only way i've found to fix it is landing the kite on the beach and walking the lines back downwind of the kite.

Now this has never happened to me hooked in as the lines probably don't get enough slack to get caught around the kite. I'm sure other freestyle/wakestyle riders have encountered this issue. Just want to know if there is a fix for it when out on the water? perhaps even releasing to safety and then feeding the line back through and relaunching the kite on the water?

dkeating
VIC, 253 posts
16 Feb 2013 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Just bought a 13m 2011 c4 and wondering for my smaller kite should i look for a 9m or 10m.
the kites i am replacing are rev2 9 and 13's.
sounds like the low end might be lower than the revs,.
Im 80kg in vic. and normally don't like wind much more than 30kn and would normally wind surf above about 25kn any way.
What wind ranges would i expect to use the 9m or 10m at 80 kgs
Thanks
Dale

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
16 Feb 2013 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Ozone C4 are they any good for boosting what at they like in the surf ???

Plummet
4862 posts
17 Feb 2013 12:40AM
Thumbs Up

well did the swap to down grade to the 2012 c4 from the 2013 which i didn't like. To replace my trustee 2011....

And the 2012 doesn't feel as good as the 2011!... but still way better than the 2013 for my style.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2013 Ozone C4" started by Big eeeZeee