4919 posts
5 Mar 2021 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Here a picture of my carbon rails

SunnyBouy
473 posts
17 Mar 2021 4:08AM
Thumbs Up

Well, well. Thats a sweet looking board. I haven't been on here for a while and I didn't have to search too far for this thread to bring a smile to my face.
Looks like you are having fun learning the board, thats what we all like isn't it. Something new to dial in and grow with.

Have to say again, I'm kinda jealous of your location and now a new board too.

Have fun man, have loads of fun.

Tardy
4919 posts
17 Mar 2021 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks sunnybouy ,not only does it look good ,but it goes good too ...

i like the new changes ..it still feels similar to the 8'7 flow ...but the new rails make it turn even faster ..

loving it so far ...hope your getting waves in the UK ..starting to cool off here ,so the sun is heading north for you

SunnyBouy
473 posts
18 Mar 2021 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hey thanks Tardy.
We've had some nice shoulder high winter swells roll through here at my local spot, I bought a Placid 8.3 which has become my go-to board for the last few months. Still have the Flow & small Shroom so keeping it Sunovatasitc.

Love your black Flowv2.

I should, next time around, go custom too..

Whoop!

Haddock
48 posts
19 Mar 2021 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Tardy,
your board is just amaaaaaazing, and like everyone else I want to live where you do (but on the other side of the bay as I'm regular foot!)

Sunny,
I'm another UK paddler (Pembrokeshire), and really interested in your thoughts on the Placid, thinking about pulling the pin on an 8'7.

Tardy
4919 posts
20 Mar 2021 6:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Haddock said..
Tardy,
your board is just amaaaaaazing, and like everyone else I want to live where you do (but on the other side of the bay as I'm regular foot!)

Sunny,
I'm another UK paddler (Pembrokeshire), and really interested in your thoughts on the Placid, thinking about pulling the pin on an 8'7.

yes ,the right-hander works just as good ....

good timing for your question ..here's my take on the two ...as I have been riding them both back to back .sunny might back me up

two very different boards indeed ...but both high performers ...rather than give a one is better then the other opinion ,i will give what I Like
about them .because ..you might like different things about them as well ..

what I like about the placid ,I like the width because it is stable in wild weather days ,it feels short ,very easy to ride ,
you can change the ride and feel by changing fins ,twin with small trailer fin ,or my favourite Quad set up .It can turn on a nothing wave .
It's a cruzy board to ride ...it will handle steep drops ,rails don't feel boxie like some ,quite rounded and easy turning .Its just a user friendly board ,not super fast ..so likes more milk in waves ..

flow 2 ,a very exciting board to ride ,takes more focus to ride than the placid ,,,great climber of wave faces with the stepped rails .but don't let the waves hit you side on when paddling ,it will cover the board and throw you off ..but unbelievable on the wave ,so worth the sacrifice ..
A very fast board ,and as a thruster it is very loose and snappy ...it is a fast board and feels way smaller than the placid to ride even though similar lengths and volume ..I'm 96kgs ,so i had to lift my game to ride it compared to the placid ,I have a vid on here ..on the 8'7 placid ..you can still go crazy on it ...

hope that helped

LostSkill
NSW, 12 posts
20 Mar 2021 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Great video before and the carbon rails look slick. I have a 8'0 coming next week from W.A (Freo) as all 3 8'0 sold here in 2 months (WSS). We have a guy with a 8'4 here at Long Reef and looks like a fast flowing board but his cutbacks dont look as good as yours ??

Tardy
4919 posts
20 Mar 2021 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LostSkill said..
Great video before and the carbon rails look slick. I have a 8'0 coming next week from W.A (Freo) as all 3 8'0 sold here in 2 months (WSS). We have a guy with a 8'4 here at Long Reef and looks like a fast flowing board but his cutbacks dont look as good as yours ??

LOL maybe he likes doing floaters ? well done on your purchase ..you will love the new shape ,at 96 kgs and 56 yrs ,8'8 is the size for me
I loved my 120 litre 8'7 flow ..but it needed 6 more litres and 31 wide ..it feels way smaller ..but thats a good thing .IT Really is a shred machine I'm still unlocking its ability ,

SunnyBouy
473 posts
23 Mar 2021 5:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Haddock said..
Tardy,

Sunny,

Hey, not too far from me.. well a few hours drive!

Tardy sums up what I was going to say. And TBH he probably knows more about them than I do because he surfs more than me. I think I'm a little lighter than him, I'm 78kg ATM and the 8'3 is probably the right size for me. Two things I found different to the Flow 8'7 I have.. (the Mk1, not the Mk2) is the tail on the Placid is really "thin" and it's balanced around the mid section, meaning if you want to turn I just back foot back a little and flex my toes and it turns, the Flow is a bit of a stomp/lean as mine has the slightly wider tail section than the newer style Flows. But I've lived with my Flow and its a keeper forever.. I just think its so versatile.. The Placid has been out in shoulder high biggest waves so far and they were a bit sucky, it took a a couple of sessions to get the feel for the tight turn, it kept spinning me off at first.. then I stopped rushing my foot placement and it sort of clicked. I guess thats because I'm used to my Flow. I haven't yet tried the Placid with smaller fins, I might do that in warmer water when I can hop in/out in one session and test them back-to-back.. ATM it's pretty shilly here in the UK and the waters about 10C which is probably 20C cooler than Tardys waves!!

Theres some seriously good surfers on here, just search for a thread on whatever board you are looking for and someone will pop along and help. Tardy helped me out no end early on..

HTH's.. Enjoy choosing your board.

Haddock
48 posts
23 Mar 2021 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Tardy and Sunny for the responses. I guess it's not too rough a position to be in, both boards will probably do the job admirably and its just a case of the type of board I want. I suspect that anything is going to feel pretty good coming from the 10'5 Starboard Drive, which definitely feels it's limits at about head high.

I'm leaning towards a placid 8'7, which will probably be a good step down from the Starboard, the alternative would be an 8'4 flow v2, which I think is a tiny bit small for me - at the moment (84kg).

Sunny, I guess you're somewhere on the south coast - my son is at uni in Plymouth and I'm planning on doing an extended visit/surf trip if travel restrictions allow.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
27 Mar 2021 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Haddock said..
Thanks Tardy and Sunny for the responses. I guess it's not too rough a position to be in, both boards will probably do the job admirably and its just a case of the type of board I want. I suspect that anything is going to feel pretty good coming from the 10'5 Starboard Drive, which definitely feels it's limits at about head high.

I'm leaning towards a placid 8'7, which will probably be a good step down from the Starboard, the alternative would be an 8'4 flow v2, which I think is a tiny bit small for me - at the moment (84kg).

Sunny, I guess you're somewhere on the south coast - my son is at uni in Plymouth and I'm planning on doing an extended visit/surf trip if travel restrictions allow.

I have not yet properly surfed my 8'8 Flow v2 (just paddled around hoping for a wave), but it is far less stable than the 8'7 Placid (which I have surfed many times), so the 8'4 Flow v2 would be waaaay less stable. (I am 96 kg, but I have been sup surfing for a while.)

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"BLACK Custom 8'8x31 x126 litres sunova flow ," started by Tardy