Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Naish 2020 Race Program

Created by WINDSURFnSNOW > 9 months ago, 7 Jun 2019
WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
7 Jun 2019 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Can't believe I'm beating JB to the punch on this. 2020 Maliko and new Javelin looking very nice and out of Cobra again to boot.
Both on demo this weekend at Narrabeen lake for SUP 5.0 if peeps are keen to paddle.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17438 posts
7 Jun 2019 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Show us the new tail on the Maliko.. and the deck on the new Jav.. Please.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17438 posts
7 Jun 2019 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Round pin tail on the Maliko..

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
7 Jun 2019 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

I paddled the Javelin 14'x22" this afternoon quickly to get a feel before 5.0 on Sunday.

Absolutely blown away I could even stand on it. I only did a short run, but here's some stats. I haven't done any "racing" or TT's for months, so I was a little rusty.

Super keen to see what someone fast can do on her.

Thanks for the pic Sam. Rocking.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17438 posts
7 Jun 2019 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

I've never been a dugout fan but that looks great..

LucBenac
432 posts
7 Jun 2019 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

Curious about the nose of the new Maliko. Difficult to see but the board overall seems to have more volume. Hope that it has not lost its great stability with the round tail (looks ugly in that picture). Well at first look no incontrolable impulse to sell my 2018 Maliko nor my 2014 javelin LE.

robon
114 posts
8 Jun 2019 2:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LucBenac said..
Curious about the nose of the new Maliko. Difficult to see but the board overall seems to have more volume. Hope that it has not lost its great stability with the round tail (looks ugly in that picture). Well at first look no incontrolable impulse to sell my 2018 Maliko nor my 2014 javelin LE.

I much prefer the low volume aesthetic of the previous version, and the old paint job is so much nicer. Your Maliko is a keeper.

DaveSandan
VIC, 1367 posts
8 Jun 2019 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

I agree the old paint job looked better than last years model but I do like the look of this new shape and the paint job suits it much better, looks similar to the One, JL, Starboard shapes?

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
8 Jun 2019 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Here is a quick clip from my paddle today across Pittwater. The wind was light from the west, but the water was super bumpy (doesn't look it in the video), boat wake coming from every angle and bumps on bumps. I did fall three times, mainly from boat wake, but think I am getting more and more comfortable on the canoe. Stay watching for the blooder/stack real at the end if you want

Enjoy,

Her is a few of the stats from the ride including the falls, starts and finishes (cruising).

Ride safe,

JB

Tardy
4991 posts
8 Jun 2019 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

hooray the JAV is back ,and it looks mean .

I need a up grade my 2015 has been a great flat water board ,but i believe the dugout takes the boxie feel out of the board .

lowers you closer to water surface allowing you to ride narrower boards ,am i right JB . 22 ,thats narrow .great vid .and can see its tippy .

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
8 Jun 2019 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
hooray the JAV is back ,and it looks mean .

I need a up grade my 2015 has been a great flat water board ,but i believe the dugout takes the boxie feel out of the board .

lowers you closer to water surface allowing you to ride narrower boards ,am i right JB . 22 ,thats narrow .great vid .and can see its tippy .

I am so surprised I'm able to ride 22". There's no way I could stay upright on a 24" flat deck in those conditions.

The new construction is solid (I actually dropped the board on the rail getting it out of the (shat myself), but no damage at all, not even a scratch (few)).

i look forward to getting more comfy on her as I think speeds will be very impressive once I loose the wobble and fall.

I'll try extract the falls and starts from my stats to get a better average on messed up water.

JB

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
9 Jun 2019 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

DaveSandan
VIC, 1367 posts
9 Jun 2019 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Really are a very very nice looking board if I had not bought a new JL last year I would have probably gotten one of these. What range of widths are you bringing into Aus and is there a GTW version?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17438 posts
10 Jun 2019 3:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DaveSandan said..
Really are a very very nice looking board if I had not bought a new JL last year I would have probably gotten one of these. What range of widths are you bringing into Aus and is there a GTW version?

I'm guessing 22" and 24" widths and no GTW.

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
10 Jun 2019 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

DaveSandan said..

I'm guessing 22" and 24" widths and no GTW.

Correct DJ

14'x22" and 14'x24" both in full Carbon Sandwich only. Awesome price of $3,300. from your local Naish Dealer.

Limited numbers available now, next orders due very soon. So speak with your dealer ASAP.
Ride safe,

JB

LucBenac
432 posts
11 Jun 2019 1:08AM
Thumbs Up

The Javelin looks actually like a pretty nice shape and like a real world board for flat and light chop.
If the shapes are as innovative and effective than previous than good for Naish.
Curious about the Maliko new tail and nose in downwind conditions.

Would there be a light 27" wide Glide shape for fast touring in this year line-up?

Area10
1508 posts
11 Jun 2019 1:14AM
Thumbs Up

Looks interesting. Is the new Maliko nose more like the 14x29 Glide nose from a few years ago? (Which might be a good thing perhaps?)

And how much carbon is there in the "carbon sandwich?" Is it full PVC sandwich?

Windgenuity
NSW, 632 posts
Site Sponsor
12 Jun 2019 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LucBenac said..
The Javelin looks actually like a pretty nice shape and like a real world board for flat and light chop.
If the shapes are as innovative and effective than previous than good for Naish.

Would there be a light 27" wide Glide shape for fast touring in this year line-up?

There is only one Glide this year at 30' wide. It is in GTW. But the Maliko 14' x 28" may be a good choice. Light, fast and durable.

JB

LucBenac
432 posts
12 Jun 2019 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windgenuity said..

LucBenac said..

There is only one Glide this year at 30' wide. It is in GTW. But the Maliko 14' x 28" may be a good choice. Light, fast and durable.

JB

Depending the new nose of the Maliko maybe. But the shape of the "old" Maliko does not really set itself for what i would look in a touring board for distance. But my 14x26 is great for everything else :-)
For a light weight like me, the closest would be a 2015 Javelin X28 possibly.

AUS4
NSW, 1251 posts
12 Jun 2019 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

What are the volumes?

Area10
1508 posts
12 Jun 2019 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Luc - the 2015 28 wide Javelin was a BOAT. Avoid it. The 28" wide Maliko would be a much nicer tourer for you: It's a great all-round board, and deserves to be more popular IMO. Much more user-friendly in general than the 26 wide and much better for touring, for most people. Good downwind too. Those extra 2 inches really make a big difference.

LucBenac
432 posts
13 Jun 2019 1:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
Luc - the 2015 28 wide Javelin was a BOAT. Avoid it. The 28" wide Maliko would be a much nicer tourer for you: It's a great all-round board, and deserves to be more popular IMO. Much more user-friendly in general than the 26 wide and much better for touring, for most people. Good downwind too. Those extra 2 inches really make a big difference.

Thanks. Good to know. I have been considering replacing my Ace-GT with something 14' and easier to shuttle. Mostly because of the issue of carrying the board on cars. Don't like to have to choose between the board or the friends.... But it might not happen at all in the end.
If I do I would be looking for a fast light touring board rather than a true heavy duty touring. Something that is fast enough on flat/light chop with good glide so I can go lower cadence but that can be relied upon if something go wrong with the weather. Rather 27' or top 28' but not a barge as I am a light weight myself...

Area10
1508 posts
13 Jun 2019 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

I demoed the 14x28 2015 Jav expecting to love it. On paper it looked exactly what I was looking for at the time. But what I found was a really corky big-volume board that was awkward to manoeuvre and didn't seem to do anything particularly well. It felt sluggish and was surprisingly heavy. The fit and finish weren't great either. A bunch of my friends tried it as well, and no-one liked it, least of all the lighter guys.

I think that that that is one of the Jav designs that will go into the "unloved for good reason" filing drawer of SUP history. I think that after Harold Iggy died, Naish lost their way a bit for a couple of seasons.

Windgenuity
NSW, 632 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Jun 2019 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
Looks interesting. Is the new Maliko nose more like the 14x29 Glide nose from a few years ago? (Which might be a good thing perhaps?)

The new (for 2020) Naish Raceboard construction is now Core Moulded and Pressure Moulded. This creates a higher density of foam towards the outside and also makes a hard shell. This forms a complete sandwich that is not laminated but chemically connected to the core during the moulding process. This combined with a wood layer in the stance area creates a superior strength to weight sandwich with excellent skin tension. The board is layed up with full UD Carbon Deck, Bottom and Rails. Finished off with a light weight putty finish, the boards come in at very competitive weights with excellent strength and durability.

This construction is really nice and feels super tight and strong.

Ride safe,

JB

LucBenac
432 posts
14 Jun 2019 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
I demoed the 14x28 2015 Jav expecting to love it. On paper it looked exactly what I was looking for at the time. But what I found was a really corky big-volume board that was awkward to manoeuvre and didn't seem to do anything particularly well. It felt sluggish and was surprisingly heavy. The fit and finish weren't great either. A bunch of my friends tried it as well, and no-one liked it, least of all the lighter guys.

I think that that that is one of the Jav designs that will go into the "unloved for good reason" filing drawer of SUP history. I think that after Harold Iggy died, Naish lost their way a bit for a couple of seasons.

That is exactly what i needed to know. Likewise on paper, I was thinking of a good fit for me but what you described is quite the contrary of what i would like. I am good with my maliko x26 for almost everything but flat water distance paddling. It is a board that requires constant effort and reasonnably fast cadence to be in its zone and get on its very own as soon as there is "movement" on the water and in teh wind. I will take delivery of my new 2014 Javelin X26 LE next week and will see how it goes. In any case I am not even sure that my Ace-GT will sell and that might be for the best. I do feel very secure on it when going for 20km paddle on my own without anybody else on the water around. It would be even better if I was twenty lbs heavier and stronger to take full advantage of it.

LucBenac
432 posts
14 Jun 2019 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windgenuity said..

Area10 said..

The new (for 2020) Naish Raceboard construction is now Core Moulded and Pressure Moulded. This creates a higher density of foam towards the outside and also makes a hard shell. This forms a complete sandwich that is not laminated but chemically connected to the core during the moulding process. This combined with a wood layer in the stance area creates a superior strength to weight sandwich with excellent skin tension. The board is layed up with full UD Carbon Deck, Bottom and Rails. Finished off with a light weight putty finish, the boards come in at very competitive weights with excellent strength and durability.

This construction is really nice and feels super tight and strong.

Ride safe,

JB

Thanks for all the info. With the new nose and if the construction is a bit ligther than 2018/2019, then the 2020 Maliko x28 might be an interesting board for distance paddling/light touring for a 77kg / 170 lbs. paddler. I do not know if anybody is going to carry it in Vancouver, Canada.

clever27
2 posts
26 Jun 2019 3:46AM
Thumbs Up

new jav/malikos look sick! do you have specs on them - available widths/volume/etc thx!

clever27
2 posts
26 Jun 2019 3:46AM
Thumbs Up

new jav/malikos look sick! do you have specs on them - available widths/volume/etc thx!

TJR
155 posts
2 Jul 2019 4:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Theres nothing about the Javelin

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Naish 2020 Race Program" started by WINDSURFnSNOW