Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Lightwind test of 2020 slingshot infinity 99 wing

Created by CoreAS A week ago, 5 Oct 2019
CoreAS
81 posts
5 Oct 2019 6:55AM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic test in super light wind conditions of the 2020 slingshot infinity 99 wing this week, footage was 2 evenings back to back. Its a monster at 2371 cm2 surface area.

I was short on time, and was using the 42 rear wing in position B on the fuselage, so still more tweaking to be done with using the 48 rear wing in position C for maximum light wind lift.

To foil in 5-10 mph* with a 125 liter board, 5.8 RAF sail, and I weigh 205 lbs is next level.

*does require full body pumping technique and gust timing, its not a static start

CAN17
273 posts
5 Oct 2019 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

Nice flights. It didn't look too bad for back pressure considering you/most people like C on the 84 . I know Wyatt Miller says it needs a bit too much back foot for wizard boards but that did not look like the case for you. Looking forward to your reveiw with position C on the 99

CoreAS
81 posts
5 Oct 2019 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CAN17 said..
Nice flights. It didn't look too bad for back pressure considering you/most people like C on the 84 . I know Wyatt Miller says it needs a bit too much back foot for wizard boards but that did not look like the case for you. Looking forward to your reveiw with position C on the 99

Think I might have bit more of a lead foot than Wyatt! He's classic surfer physique, I'm more of classic Dad bod ;)

our forecast looks dismal this weekend, Monday might be the soonest before I can try C and the 48 rear.

sl55
49 posts
5 Oct 2019 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting that Wyatt insisted that I-99 would work only on Levitator or Freestyle with tracks. Looks like you proved him wrong. I just got mine and comparing it to I-84 it is hard to say that the center of lift is that much different.

I-84 has a chord of 304 mm vs. I-99,s 296 mm

I drilled an extra hole in the fuse to move the wing/fuse forward 50 mm more from position "C". I have not tested it yet because I had surgery on my face yesterday, and the wind was over 20 kn anyway.
Just tempted to set my record in lightwindedness

CoreAS
81 posts
5 Oct 2019 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sl55 said..
Interesting that Wyatt insisted that I-99 would work only on Levitator or Freestyle with tracks. Looks like you proved him wrong. I just got mine and comparing it to I-84 it is hard to say that the center of lift is that much different.

I drilled an extra hole in the fuse to move the wing/fuse forward 50 mm more from position "C". I have not tested it yet because I had surgery on my face yesterday, and the wind was over 20 kn anyway.

It is a bit strange why we have all heard different "why it won't work scenarios"?

The first day I was on the 84/42 B set up and flying, as the sun went down, I bolted on the 99 and took off immediately in 10/11mph. It just kept chugging along with a bit of pumping.

Second day, I would've rigged a 7.8 but decided to test it again on a 5.8 again in around 10mph or less and had 2 hours of foiling.

Easy as!

CoreAS
81 posts
5 Oct 2019 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sl55 said..

SL55

Did you use a hand drill, or a proper drill press to make position "D" hole, that's a clean piece of engineering.

sl55
49 posts
5 Oct 2019 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

I used a drill press with 8 mm drill bit and 16 mm countersink bit. Easier and cheaper than to buy a Levitator or install a track system.

dejavu
6 posts
Wednesday , 9 Oct 2019 4:24AM
Thumbs Up

I have a Wizard 125 and am tempted to purchase the 99 and use it in the "B" or "C " position. I'll bet it will work with most boards in the "C" position. I'm 45 pounds lighter than CorAS so if "B" position works for him it shouldn't be a problem for me. The question will be -- in just how low a wind speed will I be able to foil?

excav8ter
184 posts
Wednesday , 9 Oct 2019 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

I used the i99 on my Fanatic Falcon LW a few weeks back. "C" position.... 8.0 Ezzy Cheetah for power. Wind was 8-12mph max. I thought it worked quite well, but I'm new at this.
I was able to get some long flights in the light breeze. I was more amazed at how well it stayed on foil in the lulls.

CoreAS
81 posts
Wednesday , 9 Oct 2019 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dejavu said..
I have a Wizard 125 and am tempted to purchase the 99 and use it in the "B" or "C " position. I'll bet it will work with most boards in the "C" position. I'm 45 pounds lighter than CorAS so if "B" position works for him it shouldn't be a problem for me. The question will be -- in just how low a wind speed will I be able to foil?

Monday I tested their 99 in C with the 48 rear and it was incredible. Wind was a different direction so we had a small swell to pump up on but either B or C will work. at my weight, I do have to put a lot of energy into the pumping but I'm confident with something like a 6.4 or 7.0 with the 99 wing I could foil up in 8-9mph and glide in 6-7mph (depending on wind direction and water conditions)
the 99 wing allows you to pump the board pretty aggressively as well.

SALKAN
45 posts
Thursday , 10 Oct 2019 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

CoreAS said..

Monday I tested their 99 in C with the 48 rear and it was incredible. Wind was a different direction so we had a small swell to pump up on but either B or C will work. at my weight, I do have to put a lot of energy into the pumping but I'm confident with something like a 6.4 or 7.0 with the 99 wing I could foil up in 8-9mph and glide in 6-7mph (depending on wind direction and water conditions)

When do you feel i99 is too much to handle in terms of wind conditions?

lakeeffect
9 posts
Friday , 10 Oct 2019 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

CoreAs and sl55,

Thank you for your responses in the comment sections of your Youtube videos. I am using the I84 foil in the C position, the 48cm stabilizer and the long 78cm fuse per your recommendations, on a Wizard 150. I have had a great deal of success in my first six sessions. Thank you again, Brant

PS: And in the spring I might try the I99 foil.

CoreAS
81 posts
Friday , 10 Oct 2019 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SALKAN said..

CoreAS said..

When do you feel i99 is too much to handle in terms of wind conditions?

Much like the i84 wing, you can foil the i99 in pretty strong winds, they both will "limit out" at their top speed.

My foiling mate was out in 20+ on his last night and he was doing pretty good but found gybing a bit difficult, think we both concur that the 99 sweet spot is 6-15mph.

I have been wing surfing and use the i99 wing for that also. Wing surfing is pretty slow speeds anyways, I just need the bigger wing to pump up, then cruise from there

thedoor
60 posts
Friday , 11 Oct 2019 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lakeeffect said..
CoreAs and sl55,

Thank you for your responses in the comment sections of your Youtube videos. I am using the I84 foil in the C position, the 48cm stabilizer and the long 78cm fuse per your recommendations, on a Wizard 150. I have had a great deal of success in my first six sessions. Thank you again, Brant

Its funny I could not make the 48cm stabilizer work with the long fuselage. (48 stabilizer positioned underneath the fuselage). Maybe I need to give it another go, it was quite a while ago.

lakeeffect
9 posts
Friday , 11 Oct 2019 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedoor said..

lakeeffect said..
CoreAs and sl55,

Its funny I could not make the 48cm stabilizer work with the long fuselage. (48 stabilizer positioned underneath the fuselage). Maybe I need to give it another go, it was quite a while ago.

What the 48cm stabilizer with the I84 foil and the 78cm long fuse brought to me was a noticeable increase in pitch stability versus the 42cm stabilizer. With increased pitch stability there was more time up on the foil. With more time up on the foil, the learning curve is accelerated. And an accelerated learning curve gives greater satisfaction. Hope this helps!

thedoor
60 posts
Saturday , 12 Oct 2019 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lakeeffect said..

thedoor said..

lakeeffect said..
CoreAs and sl55,

What the 48cm stabilizer with the I84 foil and the 78cm long fuse brought to me was a noticeable increase in pitch stability versus the 42cm stabilizer. With increased pitch stability there was more time up on the foil. With more time up on the foil, the learning curve is accelerated. And an accelerated learning curve gives greater satisfaction. Hope this helps!

Yeah the pitch stability with the short fuse made gybing near impossible, so I ditched that and went back to long fuse small stabilizer. Maybe I will try the 48cm stabilizer on the long fuse with 84 again.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Lightwind test of 2020 slingshot infinity 99 wing" started by CoreAS