Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Windsurfing Foiling 2018

Created by TASSIEROCKS > 9 months ago, 30 Apr 2017
IndecentExposur
297 posts
4 Mar 2019 4:47AM
Thumbs Up

You can lean the flat wings over as well. However, no where near as efficient and create much more drag.

Flat wings won't be as efficient. The wing-tips help generate appropriate pressure where needed to reduce inefficiency. The front wing has downward tips to keep pressure on the lifting body, thus providing a better lifting force. They also provide additional resistance to keep the foil from falling, especially when at a high angle of attack. The stabilizer (Rear wing) is the opposite with wingtips. They go up, allowing a less resistive ability to push down the rear by the rider to get that lift. It also provide some lateral stability to keep from 'slipping'.

WhiteofHeart
762 posts
5 Mar 2019 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Aah I know the spinout thing afterall, tbh I have only had it with my older foil (maybe because I was still learning too..), when going too deep downwind! The board looses its speed but keeps flying and the mast spins out.

ZYX
94 posts
8 Mar 2019 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

In the beginning I have had spinouts on frp y-foil but not as much as on F4. Two fins on fly-y provide better side support. Tilting the board on wind is something that takes time to learn for a beginner. But with 60cm short fly-y leg you cannot tilt 120cm span wing because the downwind wing tip starts getting air. Frp solved the spinout problem completely with V-shape stabilizer. Now it does not spinout even if I fly flat with front wing nearly on the surface. BTW, on fly-y the only rear leg used to spin out, never the front leg. Tilting the boar on wind is a good technique. But you need a wider board, deep foil leg and short span wings. With V-stab I can ride shallow waters with large span wings on a narrow (easy to handle) small board.
Note, that V-stab works for 2-leg fly-y only to fix spinout issue. it is because fly-y has the front leg very much at the front. The traditional foil design would have to shift the leg area to the front in order to use the same fix and some designs have it.
Wingtips bent down may increase efficiency. But better efficiency is achieved by simply increasing the wind span. Flat wing is easier to make so it is lower cost. Compare the price: Made in the USA frp wings are 1/2 price of Made in China Starboard wings.
Re: Starboard foil flight at 2m/s wind with 6m sail reported on Starboard promotional video. frp makes the largest span foils wings. Starboard is known to buy from frp. The only way for SB to save its good reputation is to show the foil the Tiesda was talking about.

elmo
WA, 8659 posts
8 Mar 2019 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Never had one spin out with a foil, cavitation from breaching yes, but never a spin out.

Paducah
2451 posts
9 Mar 2019 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ZYX said..
Starboard is known to buy from frp. The only way for SB to save its good reputation is to show the foil the Tiesda was talking about.

The delusions continue...

ratz
WA, 469 posts
9 Mar 2019 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

yep
I don't know what he is on
but I think I need to stay clear of it
at no stage did tiesda mention frp gear.

BSN101
WA, 2244 posts
11 Mar 2019 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ratz said..
yep
I don't know what he is on
but I think I need to stay clear of it
at no stage did tiesda mention frp gear.

Next time hes here in SW ill ask him. SB do a photo shoot quite often in Dunno Yals area. Even with outrjuniors out with them. So cool!

ZYX
94 posts
17 Mar 2019 4:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..

ratz said..
...at no stage did tiesda mention frp gear.

Next time hes here in SW ill ask him. ...

Better ask Tiesda to demonstrate his finial statement on this video:

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Windsurfing Foiling 2018" started by TASSIEROCKS