Forums > Windsurfing General

105L board at 30knots gusts

Created by mssp > 9 months ago, 15 Nov 2018
petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
7 Apr 2019 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

Aus 1111 has a 2016 66cm wide 106 Manta.

He uses a 80 litre slalom board in the strong stuff but I'm sure he's had the 106 out in 25-30 knots before.

With a lot of experience sailing and around 80kg it would be nice to hear his take.

Ive had a 100 litre Patrik out in 25-30 knots and with a small Flexi fin and it was easy to handle.

My 97 2014 carbon Sonic with a Flexi 34 cm Techtronic Falcon was also easy to use in strong winds.

Anything more than 65-66cm wide unless you are heavy is too big for the stronger stuff. A 107 Sonic at 70 wide is too big!

Trouble with small boards it that you use them so rarely and if you don't have a van they become a hassle.

albers
NSW, 1737 posts
7 Apr 2019 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mssp said..
Hello! I'm choosing new equipments to buy and I'm wondering if a 105L freewave board with a 4.7 sail would handle gusts of 30-32 knots. in the ocean.
I know that 105L is quite big, but I am looking for a board that I could also use at 14-15 knots.
Is 105L too much for 30-32knots?
I am 70kg.
Thank you

I suppose it ultimately depends on your windsurfing skill level.

I've always been a single board/3 sails sailor, and over the years I've been able to progressively reduce the board volume (improved design has helped as well).

I'm around your weight, and currently use a 77L board with 4.2/5/5.7m2 sails that allow me to sail in the 15-35 knot range.
Before that it was an 84L board which replaced an 88L board.

Hope this may help.

PS: At your weight, a 105L board with a 4.7 sail in 30-32 knots is probably a bit too much

sailquik
VIC, 6066 posts
7 Apr 2019 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
choco said..
Mate don't listen to the above, it's doable just like using one sail and board you learn how to use it and a big set of these goes along way as well

How would a big set set of pigs help?

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
7 Apr 2019 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

choco said..
Mate don't listen to the above, it's doable just like using one sail and board you learn how to use it and a big set of these goes along way as well

I think it's like fins, depending on wind strength you'd either load the board up with one, two or three pigs for extra ballast. :)

im a pussy then cause I put the smallest fin on my FSW 78 L (I'm 85kg) for for 30 knots+ Ocean sailing. I like to have fun and not just survive the session.

AUS3333
31 posts
8 Apr 2019 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

westozwind said.. In the ocean?

Agreed - totally different. Pete, try that at Leighton on a small 1.5 m swell and let us know.

I also agree its way too big, at 100kg I'd struggle with a 105L FSW in the ocean in more than 30kn.

70 - wow. Now way mate.

No problem , 30 knot in Mortonbay is as tough as open ocean 30kn with 7 mtr is my go-to rig on 104isonic, so free ride even easier.??

Siroco
11 posts
8 Apr 2019 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

If you weigh 70 kg it makes no sense that volume. You're lucky at this weight as you can go with just one board (85l) in weather from 15-17 knots to 35-40 knots (6.0 to 4.2). If you weighed 92kg as I it is not that simple. I do need a 102-105

And answering your question, yes, you can cope perfectly 30 knots weather with a 105 and a 4.7 (I do with a FSW 102). The main issue is the sea state not the wind, obviously, but today's shapes have evolved a lot extending the board's range. We're talking about been able or not, if you usually sail in 30 knots weather 105 is not the ideal choice

choco
SA, 3994 posts
8 Apr 2019 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

choco said..

Talking about bacon and egg breakie, what were you thinking? lol

Tardy
QLD, 4916 posts
8 Apr 2019 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

the one on the left is older ...his nuts are getting saggy ...

heres a story ....that may help ,may not

when i go to west oz ,I'm 97 kgs ..i usually have a 105 litre ,because i can use a 7,0 on it
and also quite comfortably using my 5,0 .
we drove down from north to cervantes ,and our van was side ways all the way down the coastal road ...it was blowing it's pig nuts off
so when we got there after using heaps more petrol ...it was 28 -33 knots
to find all sailers had retired for the day at 4pm and drinking beer behind their vans ....i looked at their gear
and the biggest was a 87 litre board ...i take note of these things ...
so i set out on my 105 and 5,0 ...i lasted 1 hour before i realised this is crazy ...my gear is too big ..because the sea was up by then
i borrowed a mates 4,7...a lot better ,but my board was still drifting ..
so my theory is to go for a high wind board for these 3o knots days ...and it will be bliss ..
i talked to the guys behind the vans after a hell un controlled session ...and they said what a ripper day they had ...
i wish i had a smaller board that day .but for me at 97 kg it would be a 90-95 litre .

Tardy .

gavnwend
WA, 1364 posts
8 Apr 2019 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

A sub 90 litre narrow board with vee would be my choice in 25 knots plus lower the boom & make sure your fin is between 26 & 28 cm.l find using anything bigger in big chop can be scary,sailing on the edge is not fun.flat water you can get away with it. The name of the game is stay in control & have fun. K.P. once said.(Kevin Prichard)

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"105L board at 30knots gusts" started by mssp