Forums > Windsurfing General

2024 Olympics

Created by cammd > 9 months ago, 13 May 2019
KA360
NSW, 801 posts
25 Jun 2019 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Very interesting PWA foiling event covered nicely by Ben Proffitt. With the trialing of foil slalom the wind limit has been lowered to near 5 knots .Other races held in 40. A big thumbs up from the RSXers who all agreed it should be the direction the olympics should go.It does look very exciting. Should it be selected for the olympics I would find it spectacular viewing, bit of bad luck to all those who like their olympics sports slow and dumbed down.
I think Foil and the Glide are the real contenders for selection.......

Chris249
357 posts
26 Jun 2019 5:42AM
Thumbs Up

There is no such thing as a "dumbed down" Olympic sport. They all require the utmost from the top competitors. The Laser class is the slowest Olympic class and it is not "dumbed down" at all, as the record of the sailors who come out of it proves.

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
26 Jun 2019 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Yep down wind slalom not dumbed down , for the intelligent tactical racer . LOL

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
26 Jun 2019 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

I think foiling will be great in the Olympics the problem is if they follow the PWA foiling rules the costs will be enormous and not accessible to many countries. There is no one design foil class yet suitable for Olympics. I expect the Glide will be much cheaper and the LT also, compared to foiling. I would prefer the Glide on the basis of cost and given that foiling in 5 knots is not necessarily working at least in my experience. The Glide appears to be growing in China and that is an important consideration. I love the LT but it will not be an issue if the LT remains outside the Olympics as the LT will be the fun class capable of growing at Club level without Olympics. I expect the Glide and/or LT will also be taken up in clubs too across Asia and Australia filling in gaps between dinghy sailors who need to continue sailing after they grow out of Flying Ants and similar. The Glide at 276 litres may be a great alternative as it has more volume than many raceboards and will accomodate heavier sailors, or so it appears.

fjdoug
ACT, 540 posts
26 Jun 2019 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

looks like breakdancing could be in for Paris 2024

www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-26/the-changing-face-of-the-olympic-games-breakdancing-paris-2024/11247244

Chris249
357 posts
26 Jun 2019 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsufering said..

It's not an Olympic event. Actually, it would be great to have slalom as part of a three or four discipline windsurfing event IMHO.

But if slalom DID become Olympic, the level of competition would ensure that it wasn't "dumbed down".

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
26 Jun 2019 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris249 said..

windsufering said..

It's not an Olympic event. Actually, it would be great to have slalom as part of a three or four discipline windsurfing event IMHO.

But if slalom DID become Olympic, the level of competition would ensure that it wasn't "dumbed down".

Down wind slalom really , in 5 knots of wind
like kite boarding what's that saying
what's the difference between a pro kiter and a beginner
two weeks

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
26 Jun 2019 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

The only proposal to include slalom was the windsurfer Lt
and I can tell you it's not a down wind slalom course !

Chris249
357 posts
27 Jun 2019 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

I didn't say anything about any actual proposal incorporating slalom. What I was saying is that IF slalom was in the Games then the 1000 or so Olympic aspirants would train so hard over four years or more, and be coached to such a high level, that the level of tactics would rise. Therefore there would be no "dumbed down" sailing at Olympic level.

It could be a bit like top-level bike sprinting, for example, which tests the ability to weave your way through the bunch at incredibly high speed and with people blocking you and crashing around you, like this.\

?t=2

It wouldn't be conventional tactics, but it wouldn't be "dumbed down" and nor would RBs, FW, slalom or LT.

The people I know who say that any form of sailing is "dumbed down" are normally the ones who have never done that form of sailing much or at a significant level, and have never won much in any form of sailing.

KA360
NSW, 801 posts
27 Jun 2019 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Could they include a second pole dance discipline to the olympics?.

lotofwind
NSW, 6450 posts
27 Jun 2019 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^Now that would get air time and support in the games.
Had to laugh when the vid host said " When people think of poledancing they think of a dark room filled with dirty old men " ....seabreeze poledance forumers ????????

cammd
QLD, 3469 posts
28 Jun 2019 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris249 said..
I didn't say anything about any actual proposal incorporating slalom. What I was saying is that IF slalom was in the Games then the 1000 or so Olympic aspirants would train so hard over four years or more, and be coached to such a high level, that the level of tactics would rise. Therefore there would be no "dumbed down" sailing at Olympic level.

It could be a bit like top-level bike sprinting, for example, which tests the ability to weave your way through the bunch at incredibly high speed and with people blocking you and crashing around you, like this.\

?t=2

It wouldn't be conventional tactics, but it wouldn't be "dumbed down" and nor would RBs, FW, slalom or LT.

The people I know who say that any form of sailing is "dumbed down" are normally the ones who have never done that form of sailing much or at a significant level, and have never won much in any form of sailing.

The most popular and prestigious event is the 100M sprint, not sure how many tactics go into that 10s of competition.

Chris249
357 posts
28 Jun 2019 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cammd said..

Chris249 said..

?t=2

The most popular and prestigious event is the 100M sprint, not sure how many tactics go into that 10s of competition.

It's not comparable - it's not a sailing event, the starting positions are (I think) drawn by lot, and there are lanes marked out on the ground. None of those factors apply in slalom. And there's plenty of evidence that sprints and other similar events are largely determined by genetics, a factor that doesn't apply much to sailing.

In many sailing classes it's accepted that mark rounding tactics are critical. Slalom has lots of mark rounding, in proportion to its length. The lines you take into marks, the tightness of your gybe, the way you control other competitors and other factors mean that it's not "dumbed down".

cammd
QLD, 3469 posts
28 Jun 2019 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris249 said..

cammd said..

Chris249 said..

?t=2

It's not comparable - it's not a sailing event, the starting positions are (I think) drawn by lot, and there are lanes marked out on the ground. None of those factors apply in slalom. And there's plenty of evidence that sprints and other similar events are largely determined by genetics, a factor that doesn't apply much to sailing.

In many sailing classes it's accepted that mark rounding tactics are critical. Slalom has lots of mark rounding, in proportion to its length. The lines you take into marks, the tightness of your gybe, the way you control other competitors and other factors mean that it's not "dumbed down".

I agree with you, slalom would be a great event if it were not so dependent on conditions, Olympics is about being the fastest or strongest or fittest. In some events that requires tactics, other events its just athleticism. The most popular event in the games is over in 10s. Maybe foiling will be a game changer.

Rob11
240 posts
28 Jun 2019 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsufering said..

When was the last time you did some proper slalom??

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
28 Jun 2019 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rob11 said..

windsufering said..

Well that depends what a proper slalom course is ?
If it's a Wally slalom , end of April Super Sunday we had 32 wallys LT's I think it was the biggest slalom event this year !

Rob11
240 posts
29 Jun 2019 6:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsufering said..

Rob11 said..

windsufering said..

If it's a Wally slalom , end of April Super Sunday we had 32 wallys LT's I think it was the biggest slalom event this year !

Awesome, I'd suggest you get your head out of the sand...

You're pushing sh%t uphill imo...

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
30 Jun 2019 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rob11 said..

windsufering said..

Rob11 said..

windsufering said..

Why
the class is growing very well
did you know that if you add all the entrants in the Aust champs In the formula class , race board , bic techno,slalom and foil classes it's still smaller than the wallys
not pushing sh%t uphill imo...
btw looking forward to watching the skills of down wind slalom in 5 knots

AUS 814
NSW, 452 posts
30 Jun 2019 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsufering said..

Rob11 said..

windsufering said..

Rob11 said..

windsufering said..

Why
the class is growing very well
did you know that if you add all the entrants in the Aust champs In the formula class , race board , bic techno,slalom and foil classes it's still smaller than the wallys
not pushing sh%t uphill imo...
btw looking forward to watching the skills of down wind slalom in 5 knots

What skills if it's 5 knots it will be a pump fest in the LT

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
30 Jun 2019 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

The wallys have a upwind leg and sailing rules
no pumping up wind
also pump fest in every other class

Chris 249
NSW, 3220 posts
30 Jun 2019 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

If any class, including Wallies, did slalom in 5 knots it would be a pumpfest. Light wind slalom in Wallies is a complete Pumpfest.

You shouldn't knock slalom on shortboards; it's one of the most fantastic ways to race, and takes lots of skill.

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
30 Jun 2019 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

I'd rather be on a Wally than a short board in 5 knots of wind !
I watched a clip on foils doing down wind slalom in 5 knots of wind and imo it's dumbed down sailing
any slalom in 5 kts isn't fun
its my opion

AUS 814
NSW, 452 posts
30 Jun 2019 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsufering said..
I watched a clip on foils doing down wind slalom in 5 knots of wind and imo it's dumbed down sailing
its my opion

Why would you call it dumbed down?.

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
30 Jun 2019 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS 814 said..

windsufering said..
its my opion

Why would you call it dumbed down?.

Looking forward when you organise slalom racers in 5 kts of wind !

AUS 814
NSW, 452 posts
30 Jun 2019 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Pity you don't answer the question

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
30 Jun 2019 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

I think tha the fact is that your not going to organise slalom race in 5 kts of wind is the answer
enjoy your 5 kt slalom training

Ant-man
NSW, 177 posts
1 Jul 2019 5:48AM
Thumbs Up

"The (man/) lady doth protest too much, me thinks."

Windsufering, while I respect your dedication and passion for what you think is the pinnacle of our sport, I have to agree with Rob11, you are pushing crap uphill pretty hard now.

Splitting hairs, arguing extremes instead of generalities, listening with closed ears but a very open mouth, these are the behaviours that old mate Shakespeare is perhaps alluding.

Windsufering, do you have a vested interest in the LT other than an enjoyment of it. Are you really being honest with yourself?

I have sailed every version of our sport (longboard, ultra shortboard (2.1m), speed, surf, slalom, foil, formula, inflatable etc.) and for me windsurf foiling is the only one that has a future in international events for our sport. If that can't be a reality at the Olympics, for whatever reason, I'd prefer no representation.

Chris 249
NSW, 3220 posts
1 Jul 2019 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

Why would you prefer nothing to, for example, Raceboard or slalom in the Games?????

AUS 814
NSW, 452 posts
1 Jul 2019 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Belly25 said..

Windsufering, while I respect your dedication and passion for what you think is the pinnacle of our sport, I have to agree with Rob11, you are pushing crap uphill pretty hard now.

Splitting hairs, arguing extremes instead of generalities, listening with closed ears but a very open mouth, these are the behaviours that old mate Shakespeare is perhaps alluding.

Windsufering, do you have a vested interest in the LT other than an enjoyment of it. Are you really being honest with yourself?

I have sailed every version of our sport (longboard, ultra shortboard (2.1m), speed, surf, slalom, foil, formula, inflatable etc.) and for me windsurf foiling is the only one that has a future in international events for our sport. If that can't be a reality at the Olympics, for whatever reason, I'd prefer no representation.

Nice work

cammd
QLD, 3469 posts
1 Jul 2019 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Belly25 said..

Not sure I agree with that, I would think wave sailing, free style and speed all have a future, I think the other racing classes have a future as well.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"2024 Olympics" started by cammd