Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

NSW Wind Series 2023/24 - Slalom and GPS

Created by jamesf 9 months ago, 14 Oct 2023
jamesf
NSW, 990 posts
14 Oct 2023 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

With Heat One of the Series kicking off less than one week away (Saturday/Sunday 21/22 Oct) at George Reserve Salamander Bay, Port Stephens, it's time to sign up and get ready for a great weekend away. This series is organised by Marmong Point Sailing Club and supported by our generous sponsor Dave from Kite and SUP / Foil Board Sports in Newcastle.

Registration Link:
marmongpointsc.square.site/

More race information:
www.windsurfingnsw.com/classes/slalom/

The Series is focused on maximum time on the water and the least amount of stuffing around, no matter what kit you are on be it Wind Wing, Windsurf fin or Windsurf foil.

Races are a simple format and by attending and taking part your technique will improve, you will learn new skills and see if you really are fast! Across the fleet there is always someone to race and that's what these events are about, not to forget the social side as well.

We intend to kick off either GPS sessions or some slalom racing from 11:00am on Saturday.

Last year provided great conditions on the water, along with good times off the water at near by establishments for catch ups and talking all things us water people talk about.

Social activities anticipated
Friday night - Cheeky Dog Bar (Bannisters)
Saturday night - Soldiers Point Bowling Club

Some people are also heading up on Friday to extend the weekend and likely to freesail from George reserve friday afternoon also.

In addition the remainder of the Series events are listed on our poster above. Of particular note Heat 3 incorporating the State Titles at Myall Lakes over 3 days 1st, 2nd and 3rd December. For those that haven't experienced sailing the Myall Lakes it's a must, not to mention the opportunity to have a great weekend away with plenty of sailing and racing.

Accommodation at Myall Shores is tight and limited, however there are multiple alternatives including Bulahdelah (14 min drive) or Hawks Nest (23 minutes) + short ferry ride. We hope to attract windsurfers and wingers from up and down the east coast (including QLD) to this event, so book it in and lets make windsurfing great again.

Anyone requiring additional information do not hesitate to contact Murray on 0429 875 355 or Kite and Sup Foil Board Sports 4954 2118.

Dezza
NSW, 923 posts
16 Oct 2023 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

I have some new mini motion gps's available if anyone needs one for the GPS events, will bring a couple with me to Soldiers Point this weekend

Mitchysg5
NSW, 37 posts
19 Oct 2023 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a good potential NE for slalom, whoop whoop!!! Can someone bring some UV epoxy some I can patch up my board lol!

byronmc
NSW, 501 posts
19 Oct 2023 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Knead it is quick and good

powersloshin
NSW, 1675 posts
19 Oct 2023 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mitchysg5 said..
L.... Can someone bring some UV epoxy some I can patch up my board lol!

and some bandages just in case

Boston!
NSW, 248 posts
19 Oct 2023 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mitchysg5 said..
Looks like a good potential NE for slalom, whoop whoop!!! Can someone bring some UV epoxy some I can patch up my board lol!

Someone will have some mate. We will sort you out! Forecast looks epic!!!

jamesf
NSW, 990 posts
23 Oct 2023 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to Ian and Jeff on the boat, and to Muz and Byron for all the organising. It was great to see everyone, and the conditions certainly sorted the men from the boys. Remi showed a clean set of heels to everyone else in the lumpy and windy conditions. Lots of photos to come!

Next event is here on Lake Mac - 11th or 12th Nov (forecast dependent).

MobZ
NSW, 288 posts
1 Nov 2023 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to heat 3 Myall Lakes 1, 2, 3 Dec.
I thought i should book accom at Myall Shores this year as last year i wanted to sail over from White Tree Bay but was a bit far for me then.
Not alot of cabins left now. Powered sites yes.

I hope it is super light wind for my SLW board so i can comfortably sail around / with fast freaks(for a few seconds atleast).
Because *training up there yesterday on my little board was feeling a bit out of control - maybe 2032 / 34 season i'll be ready to compete.

powersloshin
NSW, 1675 posts
3 Nov 2023 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

would be great to see the results and photos

jamesf
NSW, 990 posts
9 Nov 2023 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Heat 2 - Lake Macquarie

This weekend Saturday the 11th November, racing from Noon.

The "Mystery" location after 14 years of constant lobbying by Byron we can now reveal Heat 2's location as Shingle Splitters Point, located at the southern end of the Lake.

A body of water regarded by Byron as "the best on the area on the lake", "its like a different lake altogether", free of weed, free of jelly blubbers, with the strongest North Easterly wind on the lake, basically the stuff dreams are made of.

maps.app.goo.gl/sr2XVb8AGiucJBbB9

With a great North Easterly forecast in the 15 to 20knt range, we intend on doing some GPS sessions, followed by some slalom downwind racing.

Registration Link:

More race information:
www.windsurfingnsw.com/classes/slalom/

byronmc
NSW, 501 posts
10 Nov 2023 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

We will base on the first Right hand side car park going in.

berowne
NSW, 1265 posts
11 Nov 2023 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

That was epic!!!
All time one of the best slalom sessions I can remember. Lots of close racing. Simple figure 8's makes racing simple. Starts are important or you get a crowded gybe. compromising your line.
A mix of fins foils and wind wings on course made for a god spectacle. Can't wait to see the video! my watch says I got a 25kt alpha which would be a massive PB!

Thanks Byron for suggesting the spot. Thanks MSC for running it and thanks Jeff and Nellie for the start boat duties!!

Dezza
NSW, 923 posts
11 Nov 2023 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Seconded, that was a great day out, well worth the trip up

berowne
NSW, 1265 posts
13 Nov 2023 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Short on time so no big writeup for me... photos and videos will have to do!

berowne
NSW, 1265 posts
13 Nov 2023 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

berowne
NSW, 1265 posts
13 Nov 2023 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to Jeff for the video. I've got one full race edit to do.
3 race starts above, but none when I was first :)

Looking forward to the results Muz!

Great day out, really well worth the drive.

Best session I've ever had on my F4 Foils 560 front wing to be honest. Buzzed all the way home :)

MobZ
NSW, 288 posts
13 Nov 2023 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like fun. Great vids.

nswwindseries
3 posts
13 Nov 2023 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

Results are in for the Windsurfing.

Lots of close racing and battles throughout the entire fleet no matter what kit you were on.

Pretty sure everyone improved across the day having done 11 race starts and 33 race gybes culminating in 55kms of sailing, a solid day on the water.

Wingfoil results to follow after the adjudicator figures out who is who. PS I wonder what those yellow bibs with numbers on them would be good for? Next time boys.

berowne
NSW, 1265 posts
15 Nov 2023 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

jamesf
NSW, 990 posts
28 Nov 2023 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

We're looking forward to the NSW slalom championships this weekend (Friday-Sunday).

For those who haven't already paid for the series, please pre register on the website. We'll have trouble processing credit cards etc on site due to patchy internet access.
marmongpointsc.square.site

See you there!

berowne
NSW, 1265 posts
2 Dec 2023 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

The NSW Slalom State Titles started on Friday 1/Dec/2023.

We were greeted to some mild conditions to get us started. A gentle 8-14kt ESE shifting to ENE and fading. 2 Races were run before the wind dropped to below foiling speeds and despite resetting the course by the time we went back out the day was done.

I was on my FMX 91 Hyperion with 9.1CHS foil sail and F4 660 with 210 tail. Good setup but needed a push to get flying... Byron was on similar (620) while most of the others were on 800 or larger front wings, and 9 or smaller sails.

Remi was the only rider on a Fin, with his large slalom board and 9m CHS sail, but the gybes were a challenge without a foil!

Thanks to everyone that makes the event happen!

powersloshin
NSW, 1675 posts
2 Dec 2023 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Is there any reason why no results, pictures or stories have been posted about the event at Port Stephens ?

Dezza
NSW, 923 posts
2 Dec 2023 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Georgio, it was so windy at the Port Stephens event the results page got ripped off the clipboard and blown out to sea. Which is a shame as I'm certain I was first in the fins

nswwindseries
3 posts
3 Dec 2023 7:15AM
Thumbs Up

Given the extreme interest in the first event above belated results

byronmc
NSW, 501 posts
4 Dec 2023 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

What an event Myal delivers again with 6 races.
such a beautiful place with sandy launch sites stepping from your camp site into to 26 deg fresh water with no weed and no jellyfish what the hell is not to like about it.
wildlife everywhere
friendly like minded people enjoying windsurfing and the serenity of this place and not to mention a little bit of social drinking.
siting on your chair on the waters edge with wine and beer watching the sun set with friends just special memories .
congratulation to all who raced including some first timers who all had big smiles on there face , it's all about fun and enjoyment and I have no doubt you improved your skills from this great weekend away.
thanks to everyone who helped make this event happen and there are quite a few to pull off such a great event.

berowne
NSW, 1265 posts
6 Dec 2023 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

The long video so everyone gets 15sec of fame...

see if you can spot yourself!

berowne
NSW, 1265 posts
7 Dec 2023 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

The "Professional" edit

croanster
4 posts
9 Dec 2023 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

Gday guys, I put together a vloggy type video of the event. Got some footage of nearly everyone in the last half of the video. My first vlog video, first time at this event and my second race ever - gotta say, it was fantastic! Thanks to the organisers!
Anyway, hope you enjoy it!
Cheers! Bryce.

?si=KFXg3DuYb2t3QHYB

berowne
NSW, 1265 posts
10 Dec 2023 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
croanster said..
Gday guys, I put together a vloggy type video of the event. Got some footage of nearly everyone in the last half of the video. My first vlog video, first time at this event and my second race ever - gotta say, it was fantastic! Thanks to the organisers!
Anyway, hope you enjoy it!
Cheers! Bryce.
?si=KFXg3DuYb2t3QHYB

Top effort Bryce!

jamesf
NSW, 990 posts
13 Dec 2023 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Our next event is this coming weekend, back here on Lake Macquarie.

To ensure the best conditions possible, the team are still poring over forecasts. The day and location will be announced here and on our facebook site "Windsurfing Marmong Point" on Thursday night.

In the meantime, if you haven't already paid for the series, please pre-register (only $25 for the event!) on our website:

jamesf
NSW, 990 posts
15 Dec 2023 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

ROUND 4 - SUNDAY 17th DEC - COAL POINT (New Location)

Round 4 of the NSW Wind Series is going ahead this Sunday, 17th December. Forecast is for a moderate ESE breeze so the team have decided on a new location on the North side of Coal Point - Gurranba Reserve (just around the corner from our normal Coal Point location). Plenty of parking, toilets and great access to Belmont Bay.

308A Skye Point Rd, Coal Point NSW 2283
maps.app.goo.gl/pqhi1Mokk9AeWonZ7

Please pre-register online - briefing at 11am. Hope to see you there!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

"NSW Wind Series 2023/24 - Slalom and GPS" started by jamesf