Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

goya quad specs 2018

Created by uweh > 9 months ago, 4 Jul 2017
seabreezer
377 posts
2 Dec 2017 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

Surely people are getting this back to front ... instead of comparing the same volume (like Tallboy 96 vs 94) ... I would be comparing the same WIDTH ... so Tallboy - you might find the 104 has more 'float' for the power level of 60ish width ... or more importantly - you can 'get away ' with the extra float of the 104 WHILST having similar bottom end / topend to the 2017-96 .... so when your sailing those flukey breaks , the 104 is ripping .... with extra ease ....

And the german test - of course a board much narrower than others in the test will be 'tippier' , they should have tested the same width goya custom as other boards in the test (or could have got away with testing the bigger model vs others)

Also , Im sure stuff like 'setting the rail' is just a case of playing with strap / foot / fin positions .... I would have said the 2018 version should be easier to set the rail as it apparantly has more rocker ... ?? maybe them front strap positions need to come back to help set the rail like the 2017 ... ?

Tallboy
14 posts
2 Dec 2017 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Yes I agree. 1 friend who has access to all the boards has gone from the 86 to 94 and told me I needed the 104. The 94 turned up in my shop and the owner was happy for me to take a brand new board out on demo for a few weeks! Next year I hope to get a go on the 104.

AlexF
484 posts
4 Dec 2017 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabreezer said..
Surely people are getting this back to front ... instead of comparing the same volume (like Tallboy 96 vs 94) ... I would be comparing the same WIDTH ... so Tallboy - you might find the 104 has more 'float' for the power level of 60ish width ... or more importantly - you can 'get away ' with the extra float of the 104 WHILST having similar bottom end / topend to the 2017-96 .... so when your sailing those flukey breaks , the 104 is ripping .... with extra ease ....

And the german test - of course a board much narrower than others in the test will be 'tippier' , they should have tested the same width goya custom as other boards in the test (or could have got away with testing the bigger model vs others)

Also , Im sure stuff like 'setting the rail' is just a case of playing with strap / foot / fin positions .... I would have said the 2018 version should be easier to set the rail as it apparantly has more rocker ... ?? maybe them front strap positions need to come back to help set the rail like the 2017 ... ?

I aggree 100%. Now.
And after i was thinking about it alot and sharing several mails with Francisco.
But at first i thought in "volume replaces volume", not "width replaces width".
In my case, i (90kg) rode 85 Liter boards in the singlefin times, than my first 88 Quad (non Goya), than i heard and understood Ciscos message "take one size bigger" and went happily on the 2014 94 Quad, then replaced it with my current 96 Quad, and now we have to take our own conclusions which boards to ride, because:
- SURF Magazine(s) still think(s) in volume classes for waveboards, only for the freeride widebody boards they think in a width/volume combination now, testing lower volume wide boards against higher volume narrow boards.
- Goya should communicate clearer the new rule to choose the boards according width not volume, meaning to choose "another size bigger"
Only problem i see with the current Goya range is, that the voulme sizes hadn't moved up to fully apply this rule, esp. for us bigger guys. The 104 is regarding to Francisco "a lightwind shape, build lighter, less tough". Not really the highwind board for us heavier guys.
But our salvation may come with the bigger Thruster sizes showing up on the horizon, 227 x 60, 99 liters sounds right.
Alex

AlexF
484 posts
4 Dec 2017 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
t2wheeler said..

I'm probably breaching copyright here...

BTW the latest issue has a good review of the Goya One 96, which I happen to own

Bring 'em on!
Could you post your impressions and the test of the One, too?
I'm about to order the One 116 as my new lightwind toy, replacing my 116 Quad.
Alex

northy1
430 posts
5 Dec 2017 2:50AM
Thumbs Up

RE: But our salvation may come with the bigger Thruster sizes showing up on the horizon, 227 x 60, 99 liters sounds right.

Any idea on when and what sizes?>

AlexF
484 posts
5 Dec 2017 5:18AM
Thumbs Up

Seems like a 99 and 105 are on their way for early next year.
Let's cross fingers ...

Plainview
WA, 175 posts
5 Dec 2017 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AlexF said..

t2wheeler said..

I'm probably breaching copyright here...

BTW the latest issue has a good review of the Goya One 96, which I happen to own

Bring 'em on!
Could you post your impressions and the test of the One, too?
I'm about to order the One 116 as my new lightwind toy, replacing my 116 Quad.
Alex

No probs - I posted a quick review of the One here 3 weeks back

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Review/2018-Goya-One-96L

It matches pretty well with the Windsurf mag review that came out last week :)

AlexF
484 posts
26 Dec 2017 6:26AM
Thumbs Up

Tthe specs of the Thruster 99 and 105 are out on the Goya page now.
Any comments?
The Thruster 99 looks like the real successor of the old Quad 96.
I just wonder about the huge tailwidth of the 99, having 38cm compared to 36,7cm of my Quad 96.
Alex

northy1
430 posts
5 Feb 2018 5:53AM
Thumbs Up

wonder if that tail spec for the 105 is a typo? the 106 One freewave has a narrower tail and yet wider.

Jens
WA, 340 posts
5 Feb 2018 7:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AlexF said..

seabreezer said..

I aggree 100%. Now.
And after i was thinking about it alot and sharing several mails with Francisco.
But at first i thought in "volume replaces volume", not "width replaces width".
In my case, i (90kg) rode 85 Liter boards in the singlefin times, than my first 88 Quad (non Goya), than i heard and understood Ciscos message "take one size bigger" and went happily on the 2014 94 Quad, then replaced it with my current 96 Quad, and now we have to take our own conclusions which boards to ride, because:
- SURF Magazine(s) still think(s) in volume classes for waveboards, only for the freeride widebody boards they think in a width/volume combination now, testing lower volume wide boards against higher volume narrow boards.
- Goya should communicate clearer the new rule to choose the boards according width not volume, meaning to choose "another size bigger"
Only problem i see with the current Goya range is, that the voulme sizes hadn't moved up to fully apply this rule, esp. for us bigger guys. The 104 is regarding to Francisco "a lightwind shape, build lighter, less tough". Not really the highwind board for us heavier guys.
But our salvation may come with the bigger Thruster sizes showing up on the horizon, 227 x 60, 99 liters sounds right.
Alex

Hi Alex.
How do you like your current 2016 96l compared to the 2014 94l it replaced? I'm about the same weight as you and still really happy with the 2015 94 & 104. Both boards are still going really well. Cheers Jens

AlexF
484 posts
5 Feb 2018 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jens said..

Hi Alex.
How do you like your current 2016 96l compared to the 2014 94l it replaced? I'm about the same weight as you and still really happy with the 2015 94 & 104. Both boards are still going really well. Cheers Jens

The 2016 feels more lively, faster (to plane), but also less comfortable in choppy conditions due to the monoconcave bottom.
On the wave there's not much between the boards, the 2016 turns a LITTLE better, due to less tailwidth and rear foot more at the back and carries speed a little better through the bottom turn. But it also is less flowy, needs more committment, esp. on a choppy waveface.
Both are really good boards.
Alex

northy1
430 posts
5 Feb 2018 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AlexF said..

Jens said..

Hi Alex.

The 2016 feels more lively, faster (to plane), but also less comfortable in choppy conditions due to the monoconcave bottom.
On the wave there's not much between the boards, the 2016 turns a LITTLE better, due to less tailwidth and rear foot more at the back and carries speed a little better through the bottom turn. But it also is less flowy, needs more committment, esp. on a choppy waveface.
Both are really good boards.
Alex

Hi - any thoughts on how the 106 compared to the 96?

Jens
WA, 340 posts
6 Feb 2018 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Alex. It's always great to hear from someone who uses the gear. Sounds like I should keep using my trusty 94 until it finally gives up the ghost. Mind you that may be a while, given the standard of construction. Interesting what you said about flow. This is really important for me in wave riding and I have moved everything as far forward as I can to maximize it. To my surprise it means that straps,fins and mast are all now in the same position as Dick' s Cube 95.
Northy. If you send Dr Dick a private message I reckon he' ll tell you all about his experiences with the 106.
Cheers Jens

seabreezer
377 posts
10 Apr 2018 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AlexF said..
German Surf mag did test the Quad 89 now.
Despite being the largest board in the test (volumewise) it was the narrowest and felt the smallest when slogging.
Planing was good average, turning among the most radical, comparable to the 88 Quatro Pyramid.
So it's true what Francisco told in Tarifa, you have to choose the new Quad at least one size bigger to have the same or even better accessability ("... for replacing a 2017 86 choose the 89 or even 94 ...").
For me having a 96 the 94 still isn't an option for a replacement, but the 104 lightwind shape isn't an option either.
So i have to wait for an Quad 99 to come or change to another brand or Flikka custom.
Alex

Hey ALexF , that wave test - what other boards did they have comparable to custom 89 and pyramid 88 for turning ability ? .... or were them 2 THE turniest duo in test ? .... just trying to get an idea where pyramid and custom 2018 sit in the scheme of things rocker / turning wise compared to rest of market ... we know pyramid 18 got speeded up (flatter rocker) , and goya custom comes from a background of say fast dependable rocker (ie usually stiffer than a pyramid)

AlexF
484 posts
11 Apr 2018 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabreezer said..

AlexF said..
German Surf mag did test the Quad 89 now.
Despite being the largest board in the test (volumewise) it was the narrowest and felt the smallest when slogging.
Planing was good average, turning among the most radical, comparable to the 88 Quatro Pyramid.
So it's true what Francisco told in Tarifa, you have to choose the new Quad at least one size bigger to have the same or even better accessability ("... for replacing a 2017 86 choose the 89 or even 94 ...").
For me having a 96 the 94 still isn't an option for a replacement, but the 104 lightwind shape isn't an option either.
So i have to wait for an Quad 99 to come or change to another brand or Flikka custom.
Alex

Hey ALexF , that wave test - what other boards did they have comparable to custom 89 and pyramid 88 for turning ability ? .... or were them 2 THE turniest duo in test ? .... just trying to get an idea where pyramid and custom 2018 sit in the scheme of things rocker / turning wise compared to rest of market ... we know pyramid 18 got speeded up (flatter rocker) , and goya custom comes from a background of say fast dependable rocker (ie usually stiffer than a pyramid)

No, they found about the same turning ability in the Fanatic Grip 82, JP Radical Quad, NoveNove KS and slightly worse the RRD Wave Cult.
But performancwise JP and NoveNove are not up to the Goya or Pyramid, only Fanatic and RRD.
Alex

seabreezer
377 posts
12 Apr 2018 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

cheers Alex ...

Would be interested to hear from anyone putting the 2018 goya custom through its paces in sideshore conditions and good waves ...

AA007
4 posts
21 Apr 2018 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hi All

I see some people are looking information on the 118 94 and 99 thruster. Well I have all 3 boards.

118 quad is an amazing board great bigger guys waveboard. It has plenty float and planes early for a wave board. I mainly sail it with 5.5 Banzai in cross off and onshore condition board is a dream. I would say this is the best quad yet by Goya. The top end control is great. Just pick one board size bigger in the smaller sizes and you are on to a winner. I have sailed it overpower with a 5m and the board was fine. The turns you can get on the board are amazing the 116 quad was a great board but the new 118 is on another level in my opinion .

99 thruster, only had a quick session on it in very difficult condition. Board feels good planes well and has that smooth feel. That all I can say at the moment.

94 quad you can sail in storm force winds this is a serious board that has great speed and offers full control when you need it. The quads aren't difficult to sail as long as you just go up a size. If you sailed the 84/86 then get the 89 this will handle 3.7 with ease. 94 takes a 4.2 in overpower condition without any problems. New mfc black fins are great they are strong and don't crumble like the red versions on 2016/2017.

Davox
QLD, 49 posts
23 Apr 2018 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

I agree with AA07, I had my first real sail on my 96L Goya quad with side shore wind and small waves and the board performed well. It is a little interesting to get used to in the beginning as it is skinnier and shorter than my other boards, but once your feet are balanced on the centre line there is ample float and control in light winds. I had one amazing wave with strong secure turns and speed through the top and bottom turns. The extra thickness really makes the board drive through the turns nicely, but I did have a couple of nose plants putting too much pressure over the nose and rails, but that is my technique not the board. I am looking forward to this weekend when we get a real swell to put it through some proper bottom turns and top hacks, I hope I didn't just jinx it.

AlexF
484 posts
23 Apr 2018 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AA007 said..
Hi All

....... Just pick one board size bigger in the smaller sizes and you are on to a winner. ........

.... The quads aren't difficult to sail as long as you just go up a size. If you sailed the 84/86 then get the 89 this will handle 3.7 with ease .....

I agree with everything you say, but Goya left a gap in their 2018 range for all of us heavier guys who use a older 96 as their small board.
They made a 94, much smaller feeling, but no 99 Quad, only the lightwind size 104.

So we only have the choice of the 99 Thruster now, or going to another brand for a Quad.

Alex

AA007
4 posts
24 Apr 2018 5:47AM
Thumbs Up

The 99 might be a good choice as a strong wind board it's doesn't feel big under your feet. It also releases early onto the plane. I will let you know how it goes. The 104 quad will certainly handle a lot of wind, if I can sail my 118 stacked with a 5m you are bound to able to put a 4.2 on 104 with ease. Still having the float with the control of a smaller board. You would also be putting less skin tension through the sail so those on 3 batten Sails could have a lovely setup. I really only use my 118 with 5.5m and marginal 5m. I have a 6.3 Banzai but for me I would find a faster rocker board would be better with that sail in lighter onshore conditions. Something like the Goya one 115 or witchcraft reaper 115.

AlexF
484 posts
24 Apr 2018 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AA007 said..
The 99 might be a good choice as a strong wind board it's doesn't feel big under your feet. It also releases early onto the plane. I will let you know how it goes. The 104 quad will certainly handle a lot of wind, if I can sail my 118 stacked with a 5m you are bound to able to put a 4.2 on 104 with ease. Still having the float with the control of a smaller board. You would also be putting less skin tension through the sail so those on 3 batten Sails could have a lovely setup. I really only use my 118 with 5.5m and marginal 5m. I have a 6.3 Banzai but for me I would find a faster rocker board would be better with that sail in lighter onshore conditions. Something like the Goya one 115 or witchcraft reaper 115.

I replaced my Quad 116 with the One 116. When i measured and compared their Rocker, it was almost the same tail rocker.
But the V-Bottom lets the one feel different, more comfy, and the bigger centerfin more directional and powerfull.
I had it out in the waves with my 5.7 Banzai in sideshore conditions with a 21 Center and it felt only a little stiffer in the top turn than the Quad. That's amazing. i really like it so far.
It's better for my demand of a lightwind wave / medium wind flatwater board. My One 116 is accompanied by a 2016 Quad 96 and a Crossover SUP/Windfoil Custom.
Alex

AA007
4 posts
25 Apr 2018 1:30AM
Thumbs Up

Good to here is that the 2017 board?

AlexF
484 posts
25 Apr 2018 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AA007 said..
Good to here is that the 2017 board?

No it's the new 2018

AA007
4 posts
26 Apr 2018 6:05AM
Thumbs Up

Cool nice looking shape

philn
725 posts
26 Apr 2018 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AlexF said..

I replaced my Quad 116 with the One 116.

Have you ever sailed the Quatro Tetra? If you have, how does it compare?

I have the 2015 Tetra 109 L (I think same shape 2015-2017), and the 116 L Goya One looks like a possible replacement at some point. The Tetra is surprisingly good in small to medium size waves and cross shore winds. Not as good in cross onshore, but still respectable. On flat water it carries a 7.0 comfortably. In the waves I regularly use a 6.7 with it, though 6.3 and smaller is preferable for wave riding.

AlexF
484 posts
26 Apr 2018 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
philn said..

AlexF said..

I replaced my Quad 116 with the One 116.

Have you ever sailed the Quatro Tetra? If you have, how does it compare?

I have the 2015 Tetra 109 L (I think same shape 2015-2017), and the 116 L Goya One looks like a possible replacement at some point. The Tetra is surprisingly good in small to medium size waves and cross shore winds. Not as good in cross onshore, but still respectable. On flat water it carries a 7.0 comfortably. In the waves I regularly use a 6.7 with it, though 6.3 and smaller is preferable for wave riding.

No i never tried a Quatro, only the last generations of the Goya Quad and One.
I don't put bigger salis than my 6.3 Banzai on my boards for wave surfing, because i find them too clumsy and the 6.3 has a lot of power trimmed baggy. But the perfect fit for the 116 is my 5.7 Banzai, that's a lot of fun and the sail feels already "playfull" whereas the 6.3 sometimes feels more "physical" when thrown around on a wave, but much less than the former Eclipse and KA Killer i had before it.

Jens
WA, 340 posts
27 Apr 2018 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AA007 said..
Hi All

I see some people are looking information on the 118 94 and 99 thruster. Well I have all 3 boards.

118 quad is an amazing board great bigger guys waveboard. It has plenty float and planes early for a wave board. I mainly sail it with 5.5 Banzai in cross off and onshore condition board is a dream. I would say this is the best quad yet by Goya. The top end control is great. Just pick one board size bigger in the smaller sizes and you are on to a winner. I have sailed it overpower with a 5m and the board was fine. The turns you can get on the board are amazing the 116 quad was a great board but the new 118 is on another level in my opinion .

99 thruster, only had a quick session on it in very difficult condition. Board feels good planes well and has that smooth feel. That all I can say at the moment.

94 quad you can sail in storm force winds this is a serious board that has great speed and offers full control when you need it. The quads aren't difficult to sail as long as you just go up a size. If you sailed the 84/86 then get the 89 this will handle 3.7 with ease. 94 takes a 4.2 in overpower condition without any problems. New mfc black fins are great they are strong and don't crumble like the red versions on 2016/2017.

Hi AA,

Please let us know how you get on with your new boards. There's not too much real world feedback on the new gear, and it is always interesting to hear from the guys who are actually sailing them. I have the same range in the 2014/15 models, and find myself using the 94l most of all, followed by the 104 at the end of the season when the winds get lighter and more unreliable. My 118l is not getting much use because at 92-3kg I can sail the 104 in really light conditions. How about you-can you tell us your weight so that we can put your feedback into context?

Cheers, Jens

AlexF
484 posts
31 Aug 2018 3:27AM
Thumbs Up

Any more feedback on the boards, esp. the Thruster 99?
My trusty Quad 96 scored its last waves under my feet on my last trip, now it's time for a new board.
Alex

SardegnaHubert
5 posts
4 Nov 2018 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, I?m Hubert, German, 80-85kgs, enthusiastic windsurfer for more than 30 years, preferring wavesailing in Sardegna, where I go about 5 times a year (spring and autumn). Sardegna offers all kind of windsurfing, with different wind-directions, all kind of waves, on good days even big and long running down-the-line beauties.
Reading your experiences always has been very interesting for me, thanks for this!
Bought my first Goya Quad 104 in 2012/13, because I needed a bigger waveboard for the wonderful light wind wave days after the storms. Was more than happy with this first 100l-waveboard I could get in Germany, it even worked very good with higher winds, perfect for that gusty conditions I often have to surf in Sardegna.
Since 2013 I go with Goya (sold all my other gear), always using just two different Custom Quads, one smaller (84) and one bigger (104, 106, two different 118?s). Last year I replaced my gear by the new quads, first had the 89 and 118, than (after two spine-surjeries and a few terrible months without any sports) I changed to 94 and 118, now have a perfect combination for me: 94 Custom Quad + 105 Custom Thruster.
So, - I can give a lot of informations, actually coming back after about 5 weeks at the sea and some very interesting wave-days, added to a couple of very different wave-days I had last spring:
I could not believe what Francisco had said in the video, that we could even go 10 liters more as in the years before. That?s why I first bought the 89, - really great toy, wonderful turning, perfect with stormy 3.7 to 5.0 days, - but really needing a bit more efforts, when not gliding. That?s why, after my surgeries, having a lot of time thinking and comparing the shapes, I decided to change to 94, which really has almost the same width as my (be-loved) 84 (2015), whilst the new 89 has about 2.5 cm (!!!) less. (By the way, almost same width and length as the new 84 !!). A friend of mine (also about 83kgs) in that time had used the new 94 Custom Quad more than 100 days in every conditions Tarifa and Sardegna had to offer, even on German lakes, - he was soo happy with it, said it would be better in all disciplines than his older JP quad.
And really: My experiences with the 94 CQ are exactly confirming Francisco: This board has 10l more, is gliding super easy, but its turning capability is better than the older 84 I had before, much livelier. Even and especially on some masthigh Alghero down-the-line waves with south-storm and fully blowing 4.2 it was a dream, automatically reacting on every impulse without any effort. And - not to forget - when suddenly the wind turned and almost stopped out there (the reef is about 2kms out at a small island) I was very very happy to have ten liters more under my feet to come back to the beach without swimming.
Experiences with the new 118: Turning like a small board, livelier than I had thought such a big board could be, carrying 6.3 Fringe with ease, working very good even with stronger winds, - but because of the thickness more tricky for my weight, when the wind had gone. I think for the big guys (10-20kgs more than me) it would be a perfect waveboard, - I with my weight cannot really have the profit of the volume, because I?m standing "too high".
That?s why I changed to the 105 Custom Thruster in September, especially after having seen an Austrian friend on it in May. What a wonderful and versatile board!!! Even as a quad-fan I must say, that the middle-fin option offers so many different qualities, - unbelievable! I went out with 6.3 and 28(!) freewave fin for freeriding, great early and constant planing, with 5.7 and 5.0, using 25 or 23 cms, depending on the conditions, with 4.2 (big waves, smaller fin) and even 3.7 (small wind-waves, just for trying, if there would be the end for this board) it worked, - a few years ago no-one would have believed, that it would be possible to shape an as versatile board as this CT 105.
So, for me, my weight and my different spots and wind-conditions, I have the best possible combination now: 94 CQ from 3.7 to 5.0, best waveboard I ever had, much easier than the 89! (If you compare: Between 84 and 89 there are 5l, but almost no difference in width and length, - between 89 and 94 there are 5 l, too, - but the 94 is 2.7cm(!!) wider than the 89!)
If I would live on a place of the world, where there are almost only wave conditions, maybe I would take the 104 CQ as my big board (did not try yet), - but after having tried the different options with my CT 105 I nearly cannot imagine a better board for me in Sardegna. Last week I again was staying out on the Reef La Maddalena Alghero, beautiful waves, 4.2 and CQ 94, the wind became less for an hour, I went to the beach, took my CT 105, same sail, and was the one with the smallest sail, but always gliding, taking one wave after the other, whilst most locals had to fight to get to the peak with 5.0 because of their small boards.
In fact: Goya should have informed the customers much more exactly and intensively about the change from 2017 to 2018 Custom Quads, then the German SURF test would have been another. With 94 Custom Quad or 86 Custom Thruster the Goya would have been a absolute favorite like the years before - and like now with the new 2019 test, where they describe the 86 CT.
If I would take a smaller board again, I would take the 84, because I believe (never tried), that this size is gliding almost like 89, but is more stable because of the less of thickness (same width and length).
But with my actual gear (in combination with my be-loved Fringes), I?m more than happy.
So, sorry for the long story, but I thought that I could add my experiences, maybe they could help someone.

SardegnaHubert
5 posts
4 Nov 2018 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry, AlexF, I forgot to tell, that last week in Sardegna I was together with an other Austrian friend Berny, he had the CT 99 as bigger waveboard (has about 75 kgs). He was sooo excited about the gliding and turning qualities of this board, even on big waves with 4.2! He now intends to sell his small Flikka waveboard and go with a smaller CT as small board, because the 99 even on the Alghero waves with 4.2 was better, - he said.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"goya quad specs 2018" started by uweh