Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

need a fast 100 litre slalom board .any recommendations ??

Created by Tardy > 9 months ago, 18 Mar 2019
Tardy
4929 posts
18 Mar 2019 5:31AM
Thumbs Up

I Haven't brought many board s in the last 8 years .so no idea whats fast anymore .
just wonder if anyone can recommend a fast 96-100 litre slalom boards
i had a look at the 100 litre patrik ,nice .
any others i may consider ??? ,looking to better my PB time ,
have had good speeds on my second hand 2013 115 patrick ,but it does get a bit floaty
in high winds .

Farang
43 posts
18 Mar 2019 6:13AM
Thumbs Up

I think they are all fast if it is a slalom board . Antoine used RRD X-Fire so it was the fastest.. Try Arnon Dagans Future Fly Boards (FF) - he was the chief tester for RRD for many years till 2018, but now from 2019 he started his own company Future Fly Boards. We could expect that they are faster than X-Fire boards - and Verdi is the shaper of his boards. So Dark Horse 97 board is what you are looking for. And those boards are nicely priced as he is selling them direct - so no dealers to raise the prices. That Dark Horse 97 costs 2,079 euro inc Tax but first 100 will get 35% discount so 1,351 euro plus shipping .

FF Boards: ff-boards.com/

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7924 posts
18 Mar 2019 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Depends on whether you want a flatwater board or chop..Unless you're superman, assuming the boards have a similar top speed potential, I figure a more user friendly board will probably give you better speeds as you'll game to push it.

Tardy
4929 posts
18 Mar 2019 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Farang said..
I think they are all fast if it is a slalom board . Antoine used RRD X-Fire so it was the fastest.. Try Arnon Dagans Future Fly Boards (FF) - he was the chief tester for RRD for many years till 2018, but now from 2019 he started his own company Future Fly Boards. We could expect that they are faster than X-Fire boards - and Verdi is the shaper of his boards. So Dark Horse 97 board is what you are looking for. And those boards are nicely priced as he is selling them direct - so no dealers to raise the prices. That Dark Horse 97 costs 2,079 euro inc Tax but first 100 will get 35% discount so 1,351 euro plus shipping .

FF Boards: ff-boards.com/

thank you Farang ,nice looking boards ,was hoping to get something closer to home .

SUE ,looking at more flat water .but hey does that every happen ,when its 25 -27 knots ,

HotBodMon
NSW, 574 posts
18 Mar 2019 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

I like farangs first 12 words Tardy.
I reckon once you've had your board ( any slalom board ) long enough and used it to death over that time you have figured out what works and what works better for that board in any given circumstance , making it the fastest board . Sure there might be a newer model that's lighter or some other claimed performance benefit but I bet around the park your ol banga would kick it's arse , at least in the immediate time frame
I'm prepared to be shot down for this comment but that's what I've noticed anyway

Tardy
4929 posts
18 Mar 2019 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HotBodMon said..
I like farangs first 12 words Tardy.
I reckon once you've had your board ( any slalom board ) long enough and used it to death over that time you have figured out what works and what works better for that board in any given circumstance , making it the fastest board . Sure there might be a newer model that's lighter or some other claimed performance benefit but I bet around the park your ol banga would kick it's arse , at least in the immediate time frame
I'm prepared to be shot down for this comment but that's what I've noticed anyway

all good mate ,and yeah good advise ,I just got to get one ,i don't own a 95-100 litre slalom board ,and your right ,I reckon they're all fast .these days
just thought I'd throw the question out there .see if theres any stand outs .

Tardy
4929 posts
18 Mar 2019 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

was thinking this weapon

HotBodMon
NSW, 574 posts
18 Mar 2019 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

^very sexy.
I make sure before a purchase that it has thick pads, personal preference

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
18 Mar 2019 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

iS97 2012 wood model......mines been snapped in two and now getting a delaminated bottom repaired (unconventionally, but so far so good). Wouldn't waste my time on it if it wasn't so bloody good.

JonesySail
QLD, 1064 posts
18 Mar 2019 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Have a look at the RRD firestorms also for a controllable go fast board , less volume in the rear compared to their slalom boards, smoother rails and some bits going on underneath to soften the ride

JEZ
WA, 395 posts
19 Mar 2019 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Tardy. If you ask the RRD X-Fire 98 riders out there, I'm sure that there would be unanimous green thumbs!
Undoubtedly one of the fastest, and easiest sailing slalom boards.

Farang, I'm sure that they are nice boards, but even if you got a '100 Frequent Flyer' discount, by the time a board is landed, you're looking at $2600+- Not a lot better than a pre-ordered RRD, but without the same warranty cover.

Jez

kato
VIC, 3347 posts
19 Mar 2019 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

CarbonArt 52/53/54 . Fast , strong and hard to find second hand cos they don't break and we love them.
The oldest I seen is an 05 mod well used , small soft patch between the straps and still quick. Really good in chop too.

Troppo
WA, 887 posts
19 Mar 2019 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

The Simmer 3xs slalom board/s have been on the podiums here in WA since we got them. Pretty hard to go past the plug and play nature of these speed machines. The 96L is a weapon.

Farang
43 posts
19 Mar 2019 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JEZ said..
Tardy. If you ask the RRD X-Fire 98 riders out there, I'm sure that there would be unanimous green thumbs!
Undoubtedly one of the fastest, and easiest sailing slalom boards.

Farang, I'm sure that they are nice boards, but even if you got a '100 Frequent Flyer' discount, by the time a board is landed, you're looking at $2600+- Not a lot better than a pre-ordered RRD, but without the same warranty cover.

Jez

FF boards do have a warranty..... And if the board is damaged during the transportation they will ship you a new one. And the price including 18% VAT is 1,351 euro, so tax free price is 1,145 euro.

Tardy
4929 posts
20 Mar 2019 5:28AM
Thumbs Up

good price .Farang .I would still have to add 60percent for the dollar plus freight .

some great speed machines listed here ...now to decide ,i really like the look of the simmer you've got for sale troppo .

Bugs74
QLD, 71 posts
20 Mar 2019 8:24AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Tardy
Just my opinion but if you have want something fast in flat water conditions that are not always super flat weed lakes. You should look at what the faster guys are using on gpstc. Most of the guys getting the best speeds in qld are riding fanatic falcon 99/89 depending on the model or the starboard isonics.
Not sure on pricing for new but there are few on seabreeze occasionally. Guys are also getting good speeds and gybes on the 112/115 falcons in the lighter conditions also.
www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/Windsurfing-Boards/~lrhql/2016-Fanatic-Falcon-And-Adh.aspx?_page=1&search=iVVAl2umBXmHLC7VP1FIeA%3D%3D
This guys has a second hand 99 on seabreeze. These boards are definately capable of 40kts on flat water if you are game. Anyhow just my 10 cents. worth. Always fun trying to improve that Pb. Good luck.

Tardy
4929 posts
20 Mar 2019 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

thanks bugs any advise is appreciated ,

the search is on . to find my speed machine .falcon it could be.

olskool
QLD, 2444 posts
20 Mar 2019 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Tardy im still getting used to my 122 Falcon. Only sailed it a few times. But it does feel much much faster than anything ive sailed before. Even when you sheet out it just keeps fangin.

choco
SA, 4003 posts
20 Mar 2019 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
thanks bugs any advise is appreciated ,

the search is on . to find my speed machine .falcon it could be.

I've got the falcon 99 and have a love hate relationship with it, best gps 2 sec speed on it was a bit over 42 knots but in saying that it is frustratingly sticky.
For a board that size it is a real struggle to get it to break free your more likely to go over the handle bars than get planning compared to my isonic 87 in the same amount of wind it just takes off freely the 99 is complete opposite.

Tardy
4929 posts
21 Mar 2019 3:41AM
Thumbs Up

Great speed choco,
interesting what you say about the board .

mkseven
QLD, 2309 posts
21 Mar 2019 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

I briefly tried 99 & found same as choco, not comfortable in the chop plus isn't actually 99L it's only 94L (the later 98 is 98). If that 5L matters be sure to check the IFCA list before you commit to anything.

powersloshin
NSW, 1656 posts
21 Mar 2019 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

I had the i101 wood for a few years and it was a nice and smooth board, then tried the 2014 carbon i97 and I found it faster in flat water , but a lot harder in the chop. After that I went onto Exocet rs3 which is 100 liters, 64 wide and it has become the board I used most ever. For me it has the right balance of speed and friendliness. Also for me at 75 kgs is a medium board, very versatile can take quite a bit of wind or a 7.5 for lighter wind sessions.
Board page: martignoni.id.au/board.php?board=Exocet%20RS3%202013
All sessions with rs3 here: martignoni.id.au/summary.php?board=Exocet%20RS3%202013&sort=date

Tardy
4929 posts
21 Mar 2019 6:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

that was a awesome vid ...best i've seen thanks zeegerman ,i presume it was you in the vid being gold star .

mk ,good info on the fanatic ..94 litres , huh.it sounds like a testy board ..but still capable of 40 's ,still a contender .

powersloshin ,some great speeds ,glad you've found your machine .

it all comes down to the right board on the right Day ,with the right sail .
I've had 33,5 knots on my 115 and a 6,5 cheetah .my sail seemed to run out of juice ,so up dated to the lion
which i feel has simular speed to my old warps .

now finding the right board ...so close i can feel it ..

I think I've got the speed bug .

mkseven
QLD, 2309 posts
21 Mar 2019 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Any recent 100L slalom board should be 40 capable given that 40 is done on 70 & 80w boards.

ZeeGerman
268 posts
21 Mar 2019 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..

that was a awesome vid ...best i've seen thanks zeegerman ,i presume it was you in the vid being gold star .

mk ,good info on the fanatic ..94 litres , huh.it sounds like a testy board ..but still capable of 40 's ,still a contender .

powersloshin ,some great speeds ,glad you've found your machine .

it all comes down to the right board on the right Day ,with the right sail .
I've had 33,5 knots on my 115 and a 6,5 cheetah .my sail seemed to run out of juice ,so up dated to the lion
which i feel has simular speed to my old warps .

now finding the right board ...so close i can feel it ..

I think I've got the speed bug .

No, that's not me in the vid.
I only know him from seeing him flying past on the local lake. Him being the sixth fastest sailor in the world, I don't mind feeling like a snail when he's around.
But: I've just realised the board in the vid is only 88 litres, not really what has been asked for!
Sorry for being slightly off-topic.

Nubie
70 posts
22 Mar 2019 12:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Farang said..
. Antoine used RRD X-Fire so it was the fastest..

AA is fastest not xfire,this year he will use JP ,when he win slalom championship 2019,JP will be again "fastest"...

nerdycross
296 posts
22 Mar 2019 2:02AM
Thumbs Up

Only sailed a few times so far but my newly bought 95 fox powerd up is definitely quick board and so easy to control. Mabe worth a look.

snorkel962
QLD, 448 posts
22 Mar 2019 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nerdycross said..
Only sailed a few times so far but my newly bought 95 fox powerd up is definitely quick board and so easy to control. Mabe worth a look.

Or the 105!! Well worth considering especially if you have bumps in the water. At the same sort of width Patrik 95 slalom should be looked at as well.

Tardy
4929 posts
22 Mar 2019 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

Been looking at the 95 litre slalom ,i think the narrower tail might give it a bit more cut in chop .,$2950,...

Farang
43 posts
22 Mar 2019 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nubie said..

Farang said..
. Antoine used RRD X-Fire so it was the fastest..

AA is fastest not xfire,this year he will use JP ,when he win slalom championship 2019,JP will be again "fastest"...

Something like that . At least he made it to go the fastest, so that board was the fastest compared to the other boards....

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"need a fast 100 litre slalom board .any recommendations ??" started by Tardy