JY77
QLD, 83 posts
14 Sep 2023 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Looking for a foil to work well in the following conditions and equipment
8-20 Knots on a duotone 6m Slick SLS
18-30 knots on a duotone 4m Slick
I am 96KG riding 5"0" fanatic Skywing 75L Board

Would a new Duotone 1595 Aero Glide be too big.
currently swapping between HA 2000 and HA1250

CraigGDuotone
26 posts
14 Sep 2023 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

hi there, if you are riding a 75L at your weight you are obviously experienced - that means you could move down from the 2000HA to a 1750 or even 1500 Free series. I would not go for the Glide 1595, it's a pump wing actually, so for winging it is super powerful, would say you are better off with the Glide 1305 as a replacement to the HA2000. Will work up to about 20knots probably, after which you'll be straight onto the 1250HA anyway. For Gliding/Downwinding, the 1305 is a better choice than the Free or Carve ranges.

MProject04
460 posts
14 Sep 2023 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Advice from the boss himself.. couldn't get any better

JuleBerlin
2 posts
14 Sep 2023 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hi! I love the Glide 1305, I also come from the 2000 HA. I am a little heavier, with 104 kg. When you are in the air you can fly by 8 knots, to start will not be easy. Julian

CraigGDuotone
26 posts
14 Sep 2023 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MProject04 said..

thanks, don't want to jump in on every topic, but sometimes it's good to just to mention the options. And then get the user comments to see if they agree!

BullroarerTook
218 posts
14 Sep 2023 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Welcome Craig!

sunsetsailboards
456 posts
15 Sep 2023 2:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CraigGDuotone said..

MProject04 said..

thanks, don't want to jump in on every topic, but sometimes it's good to just to mention the options. And then get the user comments to see if they agree!

good to see you at AWSI again this year!

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
15 Sep 2023 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CraigGDuotone said..
hi there, if you are riding a 75L at your weight you are obviously experienced - that means you could move down from the 2000HA to a 1750 or even 1500 Free series. I would not go for the Glide 1595, it's a pump wing actually, so for winging it is super powerful, would say you are better off with the Glide 1305 as a replacement to the HA2000. Will work up to about 20knots probably, after which you'll be straight onto the 1250HA anyway. For Gliding/Downwinding, the 1305 is a better choice than the Free or Carve ranges.

Thanks for the advice Craig, you are spot on, I am happy with the HA1250 in 18 knots on the 6m. The 4m is a handful to get going on but fun once up and ridding. I love the lift of the HA2000 in 8 to 18 knots but find it too slow to ride and join together small short waves and big chop, even keeping up with the wave is hard. Sounds like the 1750 Free or 1305 Glide is a better option to replace the HA2000. obviously the early lift in 10 knots might be harder on the 75L board with these two options though.

I did notice though on the HA1250 it was a lot easier to get up on foil when I used the 78cm fuselage instead of the 68 cm and the 300 tail wing . Not sure why and if it was the larger rear tail wing or the front wing being pushed forward more on the large fuselage, but seemed to help in the low end and meant I could get off the HA2000 sooner as it is much more enjoyable to ride in the sloppy choppy waves.

CraigGDuotone
26 posts
15 Sep 2023 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JY77 said..

CraigGDuotone said..

Thanks for the advice Craig, you are spot on, I am happy with the HA1250 in 18 knots on the 6m. The 4m is a handful to get going on but fun once up and ridding. I love the lift of the HA2000 in 8 to 18 knots but find it too slow to ride and join together small short waves and big chop, even keeping up with the wave is hard. Sounds like the 1750 Free or 1305 Glide is a better option to replace the HA2000. obviously the early lift in 10 knots might be harder on the 75L board with these two options though.

I did notice though on the HA1250 it was a lot easier to get up on foil when I used the 78cm fuselage instead of the 68 cm and the 300 tail wing . Not sure why and if it was the larger rear tail wing or the front wing being pushed forward more on the large fuselage, but seemed to help in the low end and meant I could get off the HA2000 sooner as it is much more enjoyable to ride in the sloppy choppy waves.

no worries. Yes quite right, the Back wing and the longer, further fwd fuselage help a lot in the lighter winds. The Glide 1305 will come up a bit later than the 1750 Free yes, but will stay up at least as long as be faster. For sure faster and more lively than your 2000...so either of those 2 is a good option, if you want tighter manoeuvres, take the Free, if Glide is more important for tacks and gybes/360's, then the Free will be better. That 1250 does have a massive range though, was my favourite light wind weapon (76kg/65L Sky Style mostly) until the Carve 1100 came along. another good option is of course the Carve 1400, that is a really great foil for turning and a bit of waves, plenty of speed and is even more manoeuvrable than the Free 1500/1750....but might be a touch small for you coming from the 2000 and using such a small board? too many good options, but each is aimed at a particular rider style/range of conditions.

CraigGDuotone
26 posts
15 Sep 2023 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sunsetsailboards said..

CraigGDuotone said..

MProject04 said..

good to see you at AWSI again this year!

u too, had a blast, one week solid of wind, could not ask for more, from 3.0-8.0...

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
16 Sep 2023 7:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CraigGDuotone said..

JY77 said..

CraigGDuotone said..

no worries. Yes quite right, the Back wing and the longer, further fwd fuselage help a lot in the lighter winds. The Glide 1305 will come up a bit later than the 1750 Free yes, but will stay up at least as long as be faster. For sure faster and more lively than your 2000...so either of those 2 is a good option, if you want tighter manoeuvres, take the Free, if Glide is more important for tacks and gybes/360's, then the Free will be better. That 1250 does have a massive range though, was my favourite light wind weapon (76kg/65L Sky Style mostly) until the Carve 1100 came along. another good option is of course the Carve 1400, that is a really great foil for turning and a bit of waves, plenty of speed and is even more manoeuvrable than the Free 1500/1750....but might be a touch small for you coming from the 2000 and using such a small board? too many good options, but each is aimed at a particular rider style/range of conditions.

Thanks again Craig so many good options maybe it's time to take advantage of these options and freshen up both my
HA 2000 and 1250 with a new combo to cover a bigger range of riding styles and wind range. Sounds like I can use the 1430 carve to replace the 1250 which will give more speed and manoeuvrability and beter lower end without playing around with longer fuse or bigger back wing. Then use the 1305 instead of my 2000 for lighter winds and nail my turns and have better speed and glide then the 2000 giving me more fun on those light wind days . It looks like all I have to do is when the wind picks up just change the front wing from the 1305 glide to the 1430 carve and keep the 6 m slick sls short fuse and 200 P tail wing.

CraigGDuotone
26 posts
19 Sep 2023 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Hmm, think you misunderstood slightly - so for a combo of wings, I would go for Carve 2.0 1100 and then either Carve 2.0 1400 or Glide 1305...but not 1400 Carve and Glide 1305...those will be too close....I find having the same style of wing in different sizes easier to get tuned in to be honest - just doing some testing this week at Garda actually on flat water foils, once again noticing how you need a small reset when switching styles of wings from your regular ones.

So if you want to have a set of Glides, then 1305/1085 is a good option too, there is enough difference between the 2/same back wing of 200. Same for 1100/1400 Carve, also the 200P back wing.

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
19 Sep 2023 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks again for all your help. After driving 7 hours to find a Duotone dealer with stock and resisting the pressure of their no. 1 selling axis spitfire. I went for a fresh new update. Updated my sky wing 2022 5'0"board , HA 2000 foil /Al3.0 82 mast and 78 fuse to
2024 sky style 5'1" duotone board, fanatic 82 carbon mast and 68 carbon fuse and Duotone 1305 Aero glide foil. I will give some feed back once I have spent some time on it. The main difficulty I have experienced so far is going from the 78 fuse to 68 is a lot harder to pop up on foil in 12 knots

CraigGDuotone
26 posts
19 Sep 2023 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JY77 said..
Thanks again for all your help. After driving 7 hours to find a Duotone dealer with stock and resisting the pressure of their no. 1 selling axis spitfire. I went for a fresh new update. Updated my sky wing 2022 5'0"board , HA 2000 foil /Al3.0 82 mast and 78 fuse to
2024 sky style 5'1" duotone board, fanatic 82 carbon mast and 68 carbon fuse and Duotone 1305 Aero glide foil. I will give some feed back once I have spent some time on it. The main difficulty I have experienced so far is going from the 78 fuse to 68 is a lot harder to pop up on foil in 12 knots

appreciate the loyalty! Sounds like a good setup and pretty sure that 85L/5'1" will also help in the lighter stuff too. I think you'll find enough difference between your 1250 HA and the 1305, especially in terms of glide. 66 vs 78, just been testing last few days with longer fuselages and what I realised is, that when you are used to a 66 and 60cm that the longer fuselage offers more control, but I actually find it harder to pump up with the longer fuselage now, as the take off is steeper/slower, whereas the shorter fuselage pops up quicker and rides flatter in a shorter time? but that is also a question of what you get used to.

boardsurfr
WA, 2289 posts
19 Sep 2023 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

A bit off topic but I just have to ask Craig since he's responding here: can you tell us anything about compatibility of Fanatic foil gear with future Duotone foils? I'm looking to switch brands and liked the Fanatic foils a lot when I go a chance to test them in ABK Boardsport camps. But after getting burned by one brand that changed fuses every year to make last years gear obsolete, which also means replacement parts are impossible to get, I don't want to repeat that. An alternative brand that seems quite popular has two many engineering similarities with a third brand that I started on, and had to switch from when fuses broke on a regular basis. The Fanatic engineering looks rock-solid - but it seems the Duotone kite foils have a different mast-fuse connection, and there are plans to unify this with the wing/wind foils?

NikOnFoil
59 posts
19 Sep 2023 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boardsurfr said..
can you tell us anything about compatibility of Fanatic foil gear with future Duotone foils?

As Fanatic Wing masts, fuselage and foils are fully compatible with new Duotone Wing masts, fuselage and foils AND Duotone just released an update of the fuselage (also fully compatible) I would be very surprised by a sudden new and incompatible system.

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
20 Sep 2023 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CraigGDuotone said..

JY77 said..

appreciate the loyalty! Sounds like a good setup and pretty sure that 85L/5'1" will also help in the lighter stuff too. I think you'll find enough difference between your 1250 HA and the 1305, especially in terms of glide. 66 vs 78, just been testing last few days with longer fuselages and what I realised is, that when you are used to a 66 and 60cm that the longer fuselage offers more control, but I actually find it harder to pump up with the longer fuselage now, as the take off is steeper/slower, whereas the shorter fuselage pops up quicker and rides flatter in a shorter time? but that is also a question of what you get used to.

Interesting you say that, because that is how I know where to position my mast on the long fuse. I start all the way forward and then move it back until it stops that fast aggressive lift followed by that stall and drop.

JuleBerlin
2 posts
20 Sep 2023 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Good choice! Only after you fly with the glide, you also want to replace the 1250 free (-:

CraigGDuotone
26 posts
20 Sep 2023 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boardsurfr said..
A bit off topic but I just have to ask Craig since he's responding here: can you tell us anything about compatibility of Fanatic foil gear with future Duotone foils? I'm looking to switch brands and liked the Fanatic foils a lot when I go a chance to test them in ABK Boardsport camps. But after getting burned by one brand that changed fuses every year to make last years gear obsolete, which also means replacement parts are impossible to get, I don't want to repeat that. An alternative brand that seems quite popular has two many engineering similarities with a third brand that I started on, and had to switch from when fuses broke on a regular basis. The Fanatic engineering looks rock-solid - but it seems the Duotone kite foils have a different mast-fuse connection, and there are plans to unify this with the wing/wind foils?

sure, no problem - and thanks to NikonFoil for clarifying - indeed, all systems from Duotone Kiting Carbon and Fanatic Carbon with the (3 Bolt System) will work with the new Duotone Wingfoiling foils. We did update our Carbon Fuselages to a more aerodynamic Aluminium fuselage (called Aero AL 3BS), with only a small weight increase and lower price - this feels way smoother thru the water and in terms of stiffness hardly noticeable. Our Alu Mast still works with the Alu (Aero AL)pocket fuselage, no changes there and also compatible with older Fanatic Parts.

The foil mounting system on the front of both the Aero AL 3BS fuselage, Aero Pocket fuselage is also the same as the Fanatic one, with the 3 heavy duty 8mm Torx screws, no changes there either. Whilst the D/LAB Carve 2.0 range is a 2 part fuselage, this still has the same back wing screw on system, same for all our fuselages, Alu or Carbon, new and old. And those D/LAB Carve 2.0 fuselages also fit of course on both the standard Aero SLS Carbon Duotone masts (and older Fanatic carbon masts) as well as the Duotone D/LAB masts (previously Fa/DT Collab mast), as well as the Duotone Kiteboarding Carbon Masts.

Sounds complicated to some, but if you take the time to understand the range, there is a plenty of backward/forward compatibility.

And for kiting, we find that our team/Dealers really like the new Carve 2.0 wings for kiting in 850 especially (previously good size was 950 at DTK), which means you need to get a Duotone Wingfoiling fuselage, but can still use the same Duotone Kiteboarding masts. We'll keep working on further compatibilities there, keeping in mind the huge differences between ave kite and wing front wing use/forces.

sorry for the long answer.. maybe it helps other users who had similar questions/doubts.

boardsurfr
WA, 2289 posts
20 Sep 2023 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the detailed answer. To summarize, this means that:
- optimizations and changes to wing and wind foil parts will be compatible with 2023 gear
- kite foil gear is currently incompatible, but will become more compatible, which initially requires getting a wing fuse

Sounds good. I think it's a bit of a bummer that the carbon and aluminum fuses and masts are incompatible (3 screws vs 2 screws and pocket), but changing that would be a bigger pain than the current situation, since it would make some existing gear incompatible.

crakas
QLD, 448 posts
21 Sep 2023 6:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JY77 said..
2024 sky style 5'1" duotone board, fanatic 82 carbon mast and 68 carbon fuse and Duotone 1305 Aero glide foil.

Josh, it sounds like your wife is as tolerant if not more than mine!

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
21 Sep 2023 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
crakas said..

JY77 said..
2024 sky style 5'1" duotone board, fanatic 82 carbon mast and 68 carbon fuse and Duotone 1305 Aero glide foil.

Josh, it sounds like your wife is as tolerant if not more than mine!

I sold it to her as a holiday to visit the Gold Coast and Sunshine coast as an incentive to make the trip lol. My wife said just buy it all now as we might not have any money left for you to buy it later.

crakas
QLD, 448 posts
21 Sep 2023 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

Genius..

CraigGDuotone
26 posts
21 Sep 2023 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boardsurfr said..
Thanks for the detailed answer. To summarize, this means that:
- optimizations and changes to wing and wind foil parts will be compatible with 2023 gear
- kite foil gear is currently incompatible, but will become more compatible, which initially requires getting a wing fuse

Sounds good. I think it's a bit of a bummer that the carbon and aluminum fuses and masts are incompatible (3 screws vs 2 screws and pocket), but changing that would be a bigger pain than the current situation, since it would make some existing gear incompatible.

correct on all yes. And working on a plan to get the Alu mast/fuse connection to be the same as the Carbon one, which will cut down on the nr of fuselages and improve compatibility. Long term the kite front wing mounting system also to be the same as wing, which is somewhat of a compromise for kiting since the forces are so much less/means a slightly over-dimensioned fuselage for kiting, but strong enough for the biggest wings for wingfoiling.

Maybe the 7hr drive helped to lower the resistance! :-)

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
22 Sep 2023 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

Is there a quicker way to mount the carbon mast to the sky style board using the supplied gold coloured torque 25mm bolts and slide nuts. The only way I can do it is to lift the nut up in the slot with a screw driver and then put half a turn on the thread then move to the next three with the same technique. And if you can't get the last one started try and back off the ones you have down and hope they don't come undone. Then tighten them all up about one and a half turn. Is this enough thread to hold the mast secure?

Dave J
VIC, 46 posts
22 Sep 2023 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Shouldn't they be 30mm bolts?

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
22 Sep 2023 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

The shop gave me 25mm bolts with blue paint on the bottom part of the thread. Was wondering if I have been given the wrong type or is that how it is, seams to be short

Dave J
VIC, 46 posts
22 Sep 2023 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Wrong ones I think, I've always used 30mm M8 bolts with all my fanatic /duo boards

BullroarerTook
218 posts
22 Sep 2023 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

I'm pretty sure I have 30s at the mast to board connection as well. With my Stingray 115 I can put the bolts through the mast, loosely put on the nuts and then tilt the mast and put in the front bolts slide forward a bit and drop in the back bolts. I can see that this might not work with 25s as there might not be enough clearance.

Craig G is floating around here now and might be able to advise better.

sunsetsailboards
456 posts
23 Sep 2023 2:43AM
Thumbs Up

the ones I stock here from Fanatic/Duotone are M8 30mm with T45 heads and blue thread coating

www.sunsetsailboards.com/products/fanatic-foil-mounting-hardware-m8-torx

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
25 Sep 2023 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks yes they have given me the wrong size Lucky my new foil didn't end up at the bottom of the ocean

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Advice on what size 2024 Duotone Aero Glide" started by JY77