Advice on what size 2024 Duotone Aero Glide

Created by JY77 > 9 months ago, 14 Sep 2023
JY77
QLD, 83 posts
10 Oct 2023 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JY77 said..
Thanks again for all your help. After driving 7 hours to find a Duotone dealer with stock and resisting the pressure of their no. 1 selling axis spitfire. I went for a fresh new update. Updated my sky wing 2022 5'0"board , HA 2000 foil /Al3.0 82 mast and 78 fuse to
2024 sky style 5'1" duotone board, fanatic 82 carbon mast and 68 carbon fuse and Duotone 1305 Aero glide foil. I will give some feed back once I have spent some time on it. The main difficulty I have experienced so far is going from the 78 fuse to 68 is a lot harder to pop up on foil in 12 knots

Just had my first session, on the above new Duotone Equipment in 13 -20 knot gusty conditions, at the river mouth in flat water. First impressions is that all the advice from Craig is spot on. The 1305 Glide felt like I was ridding my old 1250 HA and was just as easy if not easier then the 2000HA to get going, as it didn't lift as abruptly. Still managed to comfortably handle the 22 knot gusts with the harness lines hooked in. It was a pleasure to gybe and tack, so smooth. Looking forward to trying it in small wind swell next. I was using my 6m 2023 Slick SLS

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
10 Oct 2023 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

The 1305 Glide was actually easier to ride powered up then the HA2000. The HA 2000 gets that taco feeling once you push down on the side during a gybe, tack or foot change it will just buck you off if you push too hard or go too aggressive. I didn't experience this as much on the Glide I highly recommend the 1305 Glide as a good option for progression from the HA 2000 in the 15- 20 knot range as a 95 KG rider. The Glide definitely needs more displacement speed to foil but it seemed as though it required less effort to get to the foiling displacement speed then it does on the HA2000. Will like to compare in the bottom end of the wind range as well

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
24 Oct 2023 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CraigGDuotone said..

MProject04 said..
Advice from the boss himself.. couldn't get any better

thanks, don't want to jump in on every topic, but sometimes it's good to just to mention the options. And then get the user comments to see if they agree!

Have been ridding the 1305 glide, with the 68 fuse on my 85L sky style in 10-17 knots. Launching off the beach in on onshore conditions in a very bumpy and tidal area. I would normally take out my 2000Ha and 78 fuse and have no drama with a couple of pumps and up. I notice on the Glide I struggle a lot more in these conditions and often take 5 goes or 20 min of getting washed back into shore before I get up. Obviously there is a different technique to get this foil up quick, before the gust goes and the waves nock you off. I am finding the Rodeo start seams to be better then the stinkbug in the waves but i am taking too long to get foiling and miss the gust and then get washed back into shore. Every now and then I get up and the foil just takes off it is so much fun to ride. Tacking and gybing is so much easier to carry speed though the turns and riding one handed is a breeze whilst keeping you speed riding with the swell down wind compared to the HA2000. Any tips to get this foil up would be much appreciated.

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
24 Oct 2023 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JuleBerlin said..
Hi! I love the Glide 1305, I also come from the 2000 HA. I am a little heavier, with 104 kg. When you are in the air you can fly by 8 knots, to start will not be easy. Julian

You are definitely right getting started on the 1305 glide is not easy especially with onshore winds off the beach in 10-17 knots. I hope it gets easier

CraigGDuotone
26 posts
24 Oct 2023 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys, indeed that is the one "weak point" of the 1305 - once riding it feels like you have a much bigger foil under your feet, due to the higher aspect. But it is indeed a big jump from the HA2000, in terms of starting power, especially for heavier riders. One option is to go with a bigger back wing, a friend of mine is using the 300 back wing from the 2000 setup and loves it - personally too big for my 75kg's, but I also use a bigger back wing on some of my foils for super light winds, it really makes a big difference. So using the 250C or 300C from the Free range (or previously from the Fanatic range 250/300 from the HA), could well help to get going in the lighter winds.

Besides that, pumping technique is obviously important and can always be improved/starting more on your favourite side also helps in super light winds, I can definitely get up and go on one side far better than the other in marginal conditions, by better pumping technique on both the board and wing.

Anyway, good to hear you are happy with the 1305! Another great light wind "performance" wing is the Carve 2.0 1430, currently my favourite allrounder for the lightest freestyle sessions, still with a decent top end speed and good glide.

patronus
360 posts
24 Oct 2023 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CraigGDuotone said..
Hi Guys, indeed that is the one "weak point" of the 1305 - once riding it feels like you have a much bigger foil under your feet, due to the higher aspect. But it is indeed a big jump from the HA2000, in terms of starting power, especially for heavier riders. One option is to go with a bigger back wing, a friend of mine is using the 300 back wing from the 2000 setup and loves it - personally too big for my 75kg's, but I also use a bigger back wing on some of my foils for super light winds, it really makes a big difference. So using the 250C or 300C from the Free range (or previously from the Fanatic range 250/300 from the HA), could well help to get going in the lighter winds.

Besides that, pumping technique is obviously important and can always be improved/starting more on your favourite side also helps in super light winds, I can definitely get up and go on one side far better than the other in marginal conditions, by better pumping technique on both the board and wing.

Anyway, good to hear you are happy with the 1305! Another great light wind "performance" wing is the Carve 2.0 1430, currently my favourite allrounder for the lightest freestyle sessions, still with a decent top end speed and good glide.

85kg - would reverse shimming 200 stab help 1085 get up in light winds?

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
24 Oct 2023 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CraigGDuotone said..

Thanks for the tips, i will give it ago over the next 4 weeks and see what difference it makes . I am definitely happy with the foil when up and ridding. Just qurious though would the cave 1430 be easier to pump up onto foil.

crakas
QLD, 448 posts
24 Oct 2023 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JY77 said..

Thanks for the tips, i will give it ago over the next 4 weeks and see what difference it makes . I am definitely happy with the foil when up and ridding. Just qurious though would the cave 1430 be easier to pump up onto foil.

You should be happy with the speed. you passed me like I was standing still yesterday.

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
25 Oct 2023 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Very happy and I could have pushed it harder but was getting a bit risky in those bumps with my skill level getting back up onto foil LOL.

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
27 Oct 2023 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CraigGDuotone said..

Yesterday I put the 300 tail wing on from my old HA2000 setup. The wind was gusty 10-15 knots. This definitely allowed me to get up Considerably easier, and it seamed as though I could slow down on a small wave and pivot turn at a much slower speed without stalling compared to the standard 200 tail wing. The increased lift was definitely noticeable, and It felt like I was constantly pushing down on my front foot, and as the speed picked up it was very hard to stop breaching. I will try and move the whole foil mast position 1cm backwards and see if this allows for earlier foiling but not to excessive lift that it becomes hard to ride.

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
12 Nov 2023 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CraigGDuotone said..

I have tried using bigger back wings and it does help to some degree to get up but you lose that acceleration feeling and performance a d it feels more like the old 2000 HA. I can only seam to get up on the 1305 glide with my 6m sls slick and 5'1 skystyle when the average wind is 16 knots. For me to be able to ride ride in 10 -15 knots would it be better, performance wise to get a bigger glide foil or a duotone ventis 8m?

leepasty
365 posts
12 Nov 2023 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JY77 said..

CraigGDuotone said..

I have tried using bigger back wings and it does help to some degree to get up but you lose that acceleration feeling and performance a d it feels more like the old 2000 HA. I can only seam to get up on the 1305 glide with my 6m sls slick and 5'1 skystyle when the average wind is 16 knots. For me to be able to ride ride in 10 -15 knots would it be better, performance wise to get a bigger glide foil or a duotone ventis 8m?

How heavy are you? I'm 93 kg & can go on 1305 in 8-10 knts no probs with 5.5 & 5'1. On the Glides don't pump the foil too hard more like small taps, if too hard on foil it won't take off

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
12 Nov 2023 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..

JY77 said..

CraigGDuotone said..

How heavy are you? I'm 93 kg & can go on 1305 in 8-10 knts no probs with 5.5 & 5'1. On the Glides don't pump the foil too hard more like small taps, if too hard on foil it won't take off

95Kg I have the foot staps all the way back and the mast forward of centre. So just wing pumps with little board pumping

leepasty
365 posts
12 Nov 2023 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

I ride footstraps at front foil finger width from front of box on 60 fuse with 180 tail. no back strap

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
13 Nov 2023 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

Is that that on the sky style. I ride with the centre of the mast on the front two numbers think they are I and II I have tried the straps in the front position but it seems to nose dive in the gusts. Might give it another go

leepasty
365 posts
13 Nov 2023 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JY77 said..
Is that that on the sky style. I ride with the centre of the mast on the front two numbers think they are I and II I have tried the straps in the front position but it seems to nose dive in the gusts. Might give it another go

Yeah last years 2023 Sky style 5'1

patronus
360 posts
13 Nov 2023 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..
I ride footstraps at front foil finger width from front of box on 60 fuse with 180 tail. no back strap

Is that mast position just for light winds, and does 60 fuse move foil closer to mast than 68 carbon?

leepasty
365 posts
14 Nov 2023 1:26AM
Thumbs Up

I keep same mast position for all winds and all front wings. Not used the 68 for long time but think it moves mast back 1cm if I remember right. no longer got that board but was same position on the 4'9. on the new 4'9 Sky style sls I use footstraps 1 hole from front and mast 2 fingers from front. The new boards not got so much volume up front so better be back a little

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
27 Nov 2023 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

Final thoughts of the 1305 Glide. It has been a learning experience going from the 140L sky wing, 2000 HA foil and 6m slick sls to the 85L sky style and 1305 glide. Going to the smaller board and foil with current size 6m wing was tough off the beach but fine in flat water. I could ride on the bigger foil and small board but the foil was not as fun to ride as the glide 1305 so I persisted to pump my arms off and walk up the beach to get going in 8-14 knots off the beach in tide. I was getting so frustrated changing tail size but not liking the extra drag and loss of performance. Changing shims but also lost performance and increased drag. I thought this foil and small board thing was a waist of time and money. However my last resort was to try the 8m Ventis and my Gosh. This wing is a perfect match for the glide I am ripping in 8-14 knots and only have to sheet an go with very minimal pumping, I can even get foiling on my knees if i pump on my knees. It even lets me ride up to 18-20 knots. Everything got easy tacking gybing pump and glide.. so my advice is that there are probably good and bad combinations out there but when you have an efficient foil and the right wing it is so much fun. This wing turned my setup from painful endless attempts to now foiling every day with ease.

NikOnFoil
59 posts
27 Nov 2023 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JY77 said..
However my last resort was to try the 8m Ventis and my Gosh. This wing is a perfect match for the glide I am ripping in 8-14 knots and only have to sheet an go with very minimal pumping, I can even get foiling on my knees if i pump on my knees.

Maybe you have to adjust your pumping technique to HA foil. You have to pump with higher frequency, Wing also with higher frequency, less input to the foil, no kicking with back foot just small pumps with front foot and don't let it come if not enough speed.

After some months on Aero Glide I now use the 905 most of the time and the 1305 is my light wind weapon. Lowend is very good.

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
27 Nov 2023 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Yes I think your right the 8m ventis allowed we to have fun on the water without a great pumping technique. Maybe in time and as I get better I can drop back down a wing size. Have you used the 1080 glide or is it too close to the 1305

Jacketless
5 posts
29 Nov 2023 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Hey all,

Really useful and detailed thread, thanks guys!

Quick question on your thoughts- I'm looking at getting a glide for my partner- she's past the beginner stage now jibing and taking her first waves in 15-22 knt conditions with a 4m wing, she's currently on an aero free 1250 and 75l sky wing. She's about 55kgs and I'm hesitating between the glide 905 or 1085. I personally think the 905 would be amazing but I know she struggles getting up on foil in wavey or lighter conditions, so perhaps the 1085 would be a safer if less progressive option.

Any advice?

Kitz92
VIC, 34 posts
29 Nov 2023 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jacketless said..
Hey all,

Quick question on your thoughts- I'm looking at getting a glide for my partner- she's past the beginner stage now jibing and taking her first waves in 15-22 knt conditions with a 4m wing, she's currently on an aero free 1250 and 75l sky wing. She's about 55kgs and I'm hesitating between the glide 905 or 1085. I personally think the 905 would be amazing but I know she struggles getting up on foil in wavey or lighter conditions, so perhaps the 1085 would be a safer if less progressive option.

Any advice?

I'm around 75kg and can get going on the 1080 in around 13 knots with a 4.8 hand wing. At 55kg, I reckon the 1080 would be waaay too big. Try the 905. I'm on the 725 once it's a solid 17-18 knots. The Glide's require a slightly different pumping technique than the Aero's (more finesse on the back foot, different cadence), but once dialled, I reckon they're awesome.

leepasty
365 posts
29 Nov 2023 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jacketless said..
Hey all,

Any advice?

905 for sure it's awesome foil just needs couple more pumps on hand wing to get going over the Free

?si=DNqMUG0XKck6mH-T

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
1 Dec 2023 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

908 for sure the 1080 would be too big for her size. It wont matter if you go the 1080 or 908 in regards to getting up they both require a different technique which you will have to be patient until you get good at it. I found to help the learning process its best to go a wind wing size a little bigger then the one you normally use until you get efficient at getting up.

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
1 Dec 2023 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

the 908 also has a smaller tail wing then the 1080 which will be less draggy

Jacketless
5 posts
4 Dec 2023 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks so much for the advice everyone, really useful. Yeah my feeling was that better to go lower area for a front wing to use when it's pumping wind, and you seem to have all confirmed that.

JY77
QLD, 83 posts
28 May 2024 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CraigGDuotone said..

I have just added a 110L 7'8" long and 20" wide board to my 1305 Glide and 5m and 8m wing set up. This made getting onto foil a breeze. I can now get foiling in 7 knots with the 8m and 11knots with the 5m. Now i think I can ride a smaller foil for course racing and small waves and down wind down wind runs. I have tried the 1000 flow and 1100 carve and find I can get up easily on the 8m in 15 knots but was wondering if i should go smaller or try the glide 908

kitebored
NSW, 560 posts
16 Jun 2024 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JY77 said..
Yes I think your right the 8m ventis allowed we to have fun on the water without a great pumping technique. Maybe in time and as I get better I can drop back down a wing size. Have you used the 1080 glide or is it too close to the 1305

I've been learning with the 1305 glide, 105L board (I'm ~93kg) and it was a great choice to learn on and gives me a lighter wind foil now as technique improves.

I agree the larger sail/wing helps when learning, I started winging 3 months ago and have been using a 6m and in hindsight should have gone 6.5+ to complement my 5m. Have used the 1085 glide recently also and as long as there is wind it feels better all round.. easier to turn, more stable at speed, easier to gybe, only downside is it's harder to get onto the foil in marginal conditions and as a beginner and I find myself going back to the 1305 on those days sub 15knts.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Advice on what size 2024 Duotone Aero Glide" started by JY77