Forums > Kitesurfing General

2015 north trust bar 4 line Question

Created by yendor > 9 months ago, 7 Mar 2017
yendor
NSW, 260 posts
7 Mar 2017 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Would anyone be kind enough to measure how far up the y split is on this bar?
For arguments sake measurement from depower/trim cleat to y split.
Will be using this measurement so I can use a 2012 Peter Lynn
navigater bar.
Thanks in advance.

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
7 Mar 2017 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

... more info needed as the measurement your after is actually different for the different length line sets i.e. 19m, 22m, 24m or 27m have different measurements but,,,,the length from the split and upwards is the same on all the bars.

Cheers,

Robbie :)

yendor
NSW, 260 posts
7 Mar 2017 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Will be using 24 meter lines.
Its for a 12 dice

yendor
NSW, 260 posts
7 Mar 2017 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

If you know the length from y to kite, that would do fine.

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
7 Mar 2017 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

... I have 19m line set and Y to kite is 12.9m for a 2015.

Hope this helps.

Robbie

yendor
NSW, 260 posts
7 Mar 2017 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Puetz said..
... I have 19m line set and Y to kite is 12.9m for a 2015.

Hope this helps.

Robbie

Thanks Robbie
Will get onto it tomorrow after I go kiting.
Cheers Rod.

weebitbreezy
617 posts
7 Mar 2017 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

North Y split is always measured from the kite.

According to North, 2015 moved the split on the 5th Element down to be 14m from the kite and the quad to 18m down from the kite. (ergo 6m up on your quad bar).

2014 and earlier had lower quad split but higher 5th line split.

Youngbreezy
WA, 938 posts
8 Mar 2017 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

What could be used to form the high y split when modifying a low y split bar? I have been considering modifying a bar to fly North kites and have checked you can just buy the front lines but a bit pricey, or is there another way to manage this ?

daddycool
WA, 337 posts
8 Mar 2017 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

My quad bar ( not sure of year, I think 2016) has 22m lines and a split at 16m from kite. Am looking at an additional 2014 quad bar with 19m lines for stronger winds and/or waves. Have asked the seller to measure for me. What difference would a meter or 2 make - I'm not sure. Have 8m and 12 m 2016 Dice's...

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
8 Mar 2017 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
weebitbreezy said..
North Y split is always measured from the kite.

According to North, 2015 moved the split on the 5th Element down to be 14m from the kite and the quad to 18m down from the kite. (ergo 6m up on your quad bar).

2014 and earlier had lower quad split but higher 5th line split.

... absolutely correct 'weebitbreezy'. I re-checked the packet my 19m bar lines came in and saw 2013/14, so what I thought was 2015 lines was in fact 2013/14. No biggie as I added 13m lines to them to make my mega long but works brilliant 31m lines to my Ozone Edge 19m.

I checked my old 2015 27m bar and yep, kite to Y is 13.9m (or 14m).

Robbie

weebitbreezy
617 posts
8 Mar 2017 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Youngbreezy said..
What could be used to form the high y split when modifying a low y split bar? I have been considering modifying a bar to fly North kites and have checked you can just buy the front lines but a bit pricey, or is there another way to manage this ?

For a quad bar, you might just get away with using the low V split (a 22m 2014 bar would have hardly any difference to a V split (maybe a metre)). Plenty of people using a low V on the North bridled kites and liking it. Test it and see. Note that you might need to trim the lines a bit to make up for the slight difference in line lengths between low V and Y split (can't remember the trigonometry as to which are longer). You should get slightly better low end and slightly worse top end. Look at the click bar videos and you'll see all the wakestyle riders using low V splits on their kites.

For the 5th line bars.....um? I have heard of someone using a low V 5 line bar but I can't believe it would work well. The kites that need the 5th line use the high split as the bridle (Rebel, Vegas) and you need a lot more knowledge to get that to work.

yendor
NSW, 260 posts
9 Mar 2017 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
weebitbreezy said..

Youngbreezy said..

For a quad bar, you might just get away with using the low V split (a 22m 2014 bar would have hardly any difference to a V split (maybe a metre)). Plenty of people using a low V on the North bridled kites and liking it. Test it and see. Note that you might need to trim the lines a bit to make up for the slight difference in line lengths between low V and Y split (can't remember the trigonometry as to which are longer). You should get slightly better low end and slightly worse top end. Look at the click bar videos and you'll see all the wakestyle riders using low V splits on their kites.

For the 5th line bars.....um? I have heard of someone using a low V 5 line bar but I can't believe it would work well. The kites that need the 5th line use the high split as the bridle (Rebel, Vegas) and you need a lot more knowledge to get that to work.

Thanks webitbreezy,
Have adjusted my lines to split 18 meters from kite to y.
I have two Peter Lynn bars and will try both to see the difference from low v to y.
Now waiting for kite to arrive.
Cheers Rod.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"2015 north trust bar 4 line Question" started by yendor