Forums > Kitesurfing General

My beginner valve repair

Created by MattyR > 9 months ago, 27 Sep 2016
MattyR
QLD, 2 posts
27 Sep 2016 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

I recently decided to try my hand at kite surfing picked up a secondhand old kite (It is a best nemesis hp, maybe 2008 or 2009 model). Only issue, the 9mm inflate valve came off from the bladder. I have found some information out there that was helpful but some things I kind of just figured out. So I decided to put this up in the hopes it may help somebody out there. After consideration I decided to glue instead of buying stick on valves as they were around 25-30 bucks and I can use this stuff to hopefully touch up any other valves that need it.

After digging on this forum, the Internet and pretty much every store in my town, I decided to try sikaflex 291. It seems to be one of decent choices for gluing a valve back on. I got this from Bunnings for $21. I believe this stuff takes around 12 hours or so to set. Tried a few trade shops but nobody had any stormsure glue or something of that nature.

I lost the ball from inside the valve and could not be bothered digging through the kite to find it. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a similar type of ball. In the end I got a wooden 12mm bead from spotlight (they didn't have any plastic 12mm)

Taking some advice from the forums I needed something to put pressure down while it sets. I didn't plan ahead and found that the little sticky tape rolls are perfect size to go over the top of the valve and just put my toe hitch on top to put some weight on it.

As you can see I don't have a work space (living in a unit). I managed to pull the bladder enough through a zipper to lay it out. Again not having a work area or the tools I lay it flat on a Tupperware container on top of a foldout table.

Also, this is my first post so sorry if it's not in the right area. Also I'm only just a brand new beginner so hopefully my terminology isn't too off. I will check on it in the morning in about 15 hours (should be good by then), with the hopes of taking it out tomorrow. I will post an update on how it goes.

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
27 Sep 2016 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Great effort - but why ? $21 bucks from Bunnings and all of the hassles - vs $25 to simply stick on a valve and go kiting ?
Sure you now have a big tube of silaflex - now what ?
Just my 2CW ....
Keep innovating!!

timmybuddhadude
WA, 739 posts
27 Sep 2016 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambie said..
Great effort - but why ? $21 bucks from Bunnings and all of the hassles - vs $25 to simply stick on a valve and go kiting ?
Just my 2CW ....
Keep innovating!!

Lol

Yep glue comes in handy for bigger things other stuff many things bladders valves everything.i still think its cool though if yr other valves pop or come off
For reference rub it with acetone first chemical reaction between the two welds it .and not having a ball isnt the end of the world...
Hope it works for u

Trophozoite
QLD, 12 posts
28 Sep 2016 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

I use sikaflex aswell. Does the job, but aquaseal is the best.

Glueing a valve back on I do this:

Clean all surfaces when alcohol/methylated spirits
Get a spare square piece of bladder material - cut 1 cm hole in middle

Put glue around hole in bladder
Put glue on bottom and top of valve base
Put glue in an outer circle pattern on spare square piece

Put together and use cotton bud to move glue out evenly. Weigh down overnight

Make valve sandwich.

Credit to Ian

MattyR
QLD, 2 posts
28 Sep 2016 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambie said...
Just my 2CW ....
Keep innovating!!

Yeah as mentioned just above, it is an old kite and some of the other valves may need a touch up. The kite is about 7-8 years old. Will probably use the skilaflex around the place too. Also I'm not in a big city so I don't have access to everything. The stick on valves would be ordered online and take days to a week or so.

Just checked it and from first glance it seems to be sealed and bonded to the bladder quite well. I will take it out shortly to test it out

NorthernKitesAUS
QLD, 1061 posts
28 Sep 2016 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

I can see by the bottom right hand corner of your valve mate, that's already peeling away!

NorthernKitesAUS
QLD, 1061 posts
28 Sep 2016 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DylanJamo said..
I can see by the bottom right hand corner of your valve mate, that's already peeling away!

What Troph said above is the way to properly do it.

ps. Who's Ian mate?

Trophozoite
QLD, 12 posts
28 Sep 2016 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Ian, kite repairer in Townsville showed me how to do them like this

kingmatt
NSW, 11 posts
24 Nov 2016 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Did this repair work in the end and if so how long did it last for??

Freddofrog
WA, 522 posts
24 Nov 2016 7:32AM
Thumbs Up

haha. From that 3rd photo I thought you were using to 5t press to compress the value. Shame it wasn't. That would have been funny. :)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"My beginner valve repair" started by MattyR