Forums > Kitesurfing General

Yes more chicken loops - No more dud balls

Created by SaveTheWhales > 9 months ago, 9 Jul 2016
SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
9 Jul 2016 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

and the the Halo 2 will feature a sensible strong spring loaded latch - in case you need to reset the chicken loop, above the water - in deep water, to save your butt..

along the lines of this simple well proven idea

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
9 Jul 2016 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

I like the look of that ! And it means you will have to 'test' your safety every time you hook in ;-).

The Ride Engine with the 'rope' spreader bar is also an interesting twist but I do wonder about how long the a chicken loop will lasts as it slides back and forth. Ive never been a fan of the pulley and hook option on the Dynabar and the ring attachment seems to wear the rope out pretty fast.

suniboy21
VIC, 1090 posts
9 Jul 2016 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

ill stick to my open catch harness thanks...

Peahi
VIC, 1470 posts
9 Jul 2016 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

I had a look at the new Cab spreader bar with the ball option and its heavy as, not sure why they need to make it out of heavy stainless where lighter aluminium is available as above.

Select to expand quote
Lambie said..Ive never been a fan of the pulley and hook option on the Dynabar and the ring attachment seems to wear the rope out pretty fast.

There was also a hook on a swivel by NP which the shop told me was a better "cleaner" option than a dynabar.

No thanks I'll take the dynabar with all the extra freedom of the pulley hook, easily replaceable rope and a hook to be at my hip when I ride toeside.

JamesGibbons
53 posts
10 Jul 2016 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Looks interesting for sure, if it this spreader bar is universal and works with more than just their harnesses I would definitely be interested in getting one!

cloudsurfer
NSW, 25 posts
11 Jul 2016 1:41AM
Thumbs Up

I like the concept too, however it's different from that second image in that it's a closed loop and that flap at the bottom doesn't exist which means that resetting the chicken loop above water, when in deep water, and then hooking into your harness isn't possible with this one as you would need to insert your chicken loop into the halo before resetting which could be tricky underwater!

Plummet
4862 posts
11 Jul 2016 3:30AM
Thumbs Up

shi thouse if you want teatherlaunch/land.

kernal
WA, 541 posts
11 Jul 2016 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Its official 80% of you are hooked in bucket hat wearing old fart kooks so now everyone who can actually kite has to get dumbed down for your safety concerns. First you couldnt pump your own kites now you cant fly your own kites well enough to stop it accidently unhooking and god knows why you cant just keep flying it unhooked.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
11 Jul 2016 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Well im a kook who doesnt know how to stay hooked in - was out in the storm on Saturday.
Doing one particular jump n trick - the Naish donkey comes out and i got to test out my new Dakine impact vest.. lucky it was a small jump.

It has its merits and a springloaded latch would be perfect..

Chris_M
2129 posts
11 Jul 2016 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

What language was he speaking? I couldn't understand a word of it!

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
11 Jul 2016 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

"no more dud balls" seems a bit premature doesn't it? Like a week after they announce the product, everyone's talking about it and no-one's tried it, and it's a "dud ball" already is it?

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
11 Jul 2016 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Plummet - I do tether launch a bit and I see your point - it would be a tricky transition! And also yes to cloudsurfer - its hard enough to reset the chicken loop above the water and with no load on it - so this would be neigh impossible in a real world situation. I retract my earlier comments!!

Like some other posters I have really haven't had any problems with my existing harness and chicken loop set up ( Ok I have had the occasional un intended unhook ) but now that I spen most of my time in the surf I am looking for a refined Dynabar set up - Its great to see innovation in the kite surf world is alive and well !!

glasstraxx
WA, 321 posts
13 Jul 2016 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kookaburrahz said..
Its official 80% of you are hooked in bucket hat wearing old fart kooks so now everyone who can actually kite has to get dumbed down for your safety concerns. First you couldnt pump your own kites now you cant fly your own kites well enough to stop it accidently unhooking and god knows why you cant just keep flying it unhooked.

haha

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
13 Jul 2016 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..
"no more dud balls" seems a bit premature doesn't it? Like a week after they announce the product, everyone's talking about it and no-one's tried it, and it's a "dud ball" already is it?

Here's a guy testing the fireball connection. V V V

dyyylan
72 posts
14 Jul 2016 4:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaveTheWhales said..
Well im a kook who doesnt know how to stay hooked in - was out in the storm on Saturday.
Doing one particular jump n trick - the Naish donkey comes out and i got to test out my new Dakine impact vest.. lucky it was a small jump.

It has its merits and a springloaded latch would be perfect..

Sounds like a problem with Naish donkey dicks, not with the chicken loop design. In the last 5 years I've accidentally come unhooked one time, on a brand that no longer exists. Never had a problem with Cab/SS/LF/Switch.

ColoColo
QLD, 130 posts
14 Jul 2016 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

If this Halo spreader bar becomes normal, it will make all bars with non-detachable chicken loops (the ones that stay back on your harness - older Cabrinha bars and Slingshot) useless and people will have to upgrade their safety systems to the modern chicken loop.

Hence - less kooks and kooky accidents at your local!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Yes more chicken loops - No more dud balls" started by SaveTheWhales