Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Any ideas on 2014 griffins

Created by Gumble > 9 months ago, 8 Aug 2013
Gumble
NSW, 22 posts
8 Aug 2013 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

Currently an old newby. Looking for a 17 plus kite , and would like to support Aus company. Looking at Argo 17 but cannot find info on new series griffins, but info on 17 zephyr is in abundance. Believe that Argo is approx $800 below ozone which is also appealing but not crucial , any info/ opinions ??

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
8 Aug 2013 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

when your new youll do almost anything to get on the water, imo you need a bit more power when your new rather than less, if your around 80 kgs on a standard tt youll need 13 to 14 knts to get you going(riding in light wind takes a bit of skill), its at the lower and upper winds that a big kite shows it pedigree, if you target winds around 15knts most big kites will do the job ( weight 80 ish kg), a fair bit of info is needed to get some decent advice, weight, board size and make, conditions ( lakes, ocean, flatwater etc) and im sure youll get some good advice, cheers cauncy

the skipper
QLD, 90 posts
9 Aug 2013 12:28AM
Thumbs Up

Always buy the cheap one first, then you will get an understanding of what it feels like to yearn for really good state of the art kites...........if you don't give up in the process!

radman4
678 posts
9 Aug 2013 5:29AM
Thumbs Up

Not sure on your weight etc but I got a 17 TRX in a few weeks ago with the latest mini bridal ,have had it out three times in winds 9-11 and 10-14 ,I was on a 142 x 43 all three sessions and had it back to back with a 15 Fury which is a high aspect freestyle/race kite,my weight is 95 kegs,both kites had very similar low end power and on the lightest day of riding I could still cut through surf and get back to my start point,for a big kite it turns very well about the same as my 14 TRX with the old bridal and the bar pressure is also no heavier than the 14,it has really nice lift so was great for backflip kite loops and 1 1/2 loop transitions easier than on the Fury 15 ,it's also a great jumper you can rip it straight up the side of the window for a nice controlled vertical boost with tons of float for a soft landing.
When I first rode it I expected the power output to be a bit more brutal but it was quite the opposite it felt smooth and really controlled,the slightly stronger day was an awesome ride with a 1 1/2 m swell to play on,got some nice toeside riding in drifting and looping the kite was way easier than expected,all in all it was a very nice kite.
I swapped with my mate 75 kg on the lighter day and he was riding a 133 x 41 and he was ripping along on it ,he normally rides a 2012 14 TRX and was absolutely rapt with the 17 ,he can't wait to get one for summer (our summers are usually light sea breeze days from 9-18 knots).
Hope this helps ,if you contact Chris through the griffin website I'm sure he could organize a demo for you.

MagicMike
WA, 210 posts
9 Aug 2013 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

I'm 75-78kg and my 13.5 Argo does me 13kts upward with a surfboard. Maybe even less on flatter conditions.
My griffin was a fair bit cheaper than other brands but I'm pretty stoked with it.
The 17 should be fine if the wind gets up a little bit, just be wary it is a big powerful kite
No better feeling than getting out there in light winds

dafish
NSW, 1633 posts
9 Aug 2013 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

I have been flying the TRX kites for a while now, and have spent a great deal of time with various bridle mods in the last year. I too love flying in any wind, I just want to be on the water. I was always pretty happy with the 2013 17mt kite and 2014 bridle, I could get out in 10 to 12 knots and ride waves. What I really enjoyed was that if the wind suddenly came up, I didn't feel like I going to get hammered or couldn't hold an edge. The range of this kite is pretty damn good. However, I was always hoping that I could get the kite going in sub 10 knot conditions. So, on a day when it was only 6 to 8 knots max I went down and started messing around with some of the settings and came up with a great solution for those really light days. I added 95 mm to the end section of bridle (furthest from center of kite) and effectively brought the two power lines closer together. Instantly I was riding up wind on my Alaia. Now most people can't be bothered going out in such marginal conditions, but there is a different sense of peace I find in smooth conditions. This mod was really extraordinary for me. I had to adjust the depower a fair bit to trim the kite, but I had all this great lowend. downside was that the bar pressure had increased.A week later we had a light northerly so I headed out to grab a few waves. Only this time I added 95mm to the steering lines which balanced out the bar. The heavy bar pressure was gone. I was able to stay up wind, ride waves, and even throw a few jumps in waves where there was not a white cap in sight. I was riding a 5'8 surfboard and I weight about 83 kilos. If you have a 14 or 17 trx I recommend you give this little mod a try, it has now taken me out in days that were not possible before. Other upside is that it is even easier to reverse launch the kite. As with any kite in light winds, it takes a lot of technique to relaunch if you drop it.

suface2air
QLD, 701 posts
9 Aug 2013 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Dafish sorry for being a dump prick but not sure what you mean . Do you mean you added 95mm to the end of the bridle were it connects to the kite the furthest from the center ie that the front lines connect to then add 95mm to the rear lines to compensate the extra on the front bridle . Thanks other than that might have to draw a picture cause I can read them well .

dafish
NSW, 1633 posts
9 Aug 2013 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hey dude, you've got it. Take the bridle apart on the wing where it changes direction. That is the last contact point of the bridle. Add a pig tail on to that so that you increase the length of that section. This brings the attaching knots closer to the center of the kite. Then, add a 95 mm pigtail to the steering line. Leave them on the kite. You can take them off easy if the wind comes up to 12 plus. If you still need a drawing let me know and I will sketch it for you.

radman4
678 posts
9 Aug 2013 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Dafish are you using the new mini bridal and the attachment point is it the shoulder attachment or the next up,also are you using the upper or lower shoulder attachment point.

Gumble
NSW, 22 posts
9 Aug 2013 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

To Cauncy, The skipper, Radman4, Mick91 and Dafish,
Thanks for the informative replies. For Cauncy, 97 kg, 144 slingshot ignition board (very easy on knees) and very happy at the moment just mowing the lawn !!. In the future would like to" dog style" as in boost of swells etc.
Currently share 3 kites - ss t3 9, sst3 11, and griffin argo 13.5. All kites 2010 and the argo is a level above the ss by a mile in feel and power delivery , so feel quite comfortable with them.

@Radman, Dafish, and Mick91,
Would the 17m TRX be too much for a newby, who may have newbies wanting a go, or would the argo be a better choice, as the TRX is said to be a lot faster kite

By the way, as my first post, thanks for not taking me as a troll !!
All comments and advice appreciated .

radman4
678 posts
10 Aug 2013 5:39AM
Thumbs Up

Yea the TRX would be fine it's a 17 but the power output is really smooth ,its nothing like your old 13.5 Argo,you'll find it lighter on the bar faster turning with a more gradual power build up, it's near impossible to stall,also being a 17 yes it's quick for it's size as compared to some other 17m kites but it's still relative to it's size so it's no wasp.

dafish
NSW, 1633 posts
10 Aug 2013 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Radman,
yes, I am using the current 2014 mini bridle. If you look here :

http://www.griffinkites.com.au/component/kunena/10-trx-2013/336-trx-pro-light-wind-setting-sub-10-knots

someone posted this good diagram this morning. I started doing this mod three or four weeks ago and have dialed the 17 in now at 95 mm. This is a really great low end improvement and can be swapped out easily to ride the kite at 12 knots and up.

radman4
678 posts
10 Aug 2013 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

dafish said..

Hey Radman,
yes, I am using the current 2014 mini bridle. If you look here :

http://www.griffinkites.com.au/component/kunena/10-trx-2013/336-trx-pro-light-wind-setting-sub-10-knots

someone posted this good diagram this morning. I started doing this mod three or four weeks ago and have dialed the 17 in now at 95 mm. This is a really great low end improvement and can be swapped out easily to ride the kite at 12 knots and up.

Thanks for that yea I thought you meant the lower pigtail bridal point will make up an extension for that and the back line and give it a shot.
What line length are you running am using a STD bar with the 4 m extensions,I have a set of 8 m extensions I might try as well.

dafish
NSW, 1633 posts
10 Aug 2013 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Same bar I use on all my kites, 24 mt lines. 55cm bar.

Cvee
NSW, 7 posts
26 Aug 2013 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dafish, tried the mod today on my v7 17trx and worked well. I'm 98 kg and using 146 x 46 board. Local bom readings were 6kts gusting to 10 and increased to 7knts gusting to 13. Held ground and occasional upwind on 6-10 and smoking upwind with floaty jumps at 7-13. I wouldnt normally attempt a session unless it was 8knts gusting to 12 just to hold ground and cruise.
Just wondering whether you tried longer extensions at all and also what's the theory behind centre lines being closer together for more bottom end? To me it appears to open up the canopy more. It felt more like an Argo to fly and remained very stable, even in 13 knt gusts it felt fine. I used standard 25m lines and 55cm bar. Connected direct to centre lines rather than using usual 2nd knot on pigtails and used pigtails on steering lines, didn't need much trim and retained depower ability...thanks for the advice, I was already stoked with this kites range and speed, would be hard to find better!

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
26 Aug 2013 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gumble said..

Currently an old newby. Looking for a 17 plus kite , and would like to support Aus company. Looking at Argo 17 but cannot find info on new series griffins, but info on 17 zephyr is in abundance. Believe that Argo is approx $800 below ozone which is also appealing but not crucial , any info/ opinions ??

Just a quick reply re "Any ideas on 2014 griffins", 2014 kites will be ready September 14th - ish from some Aussie kite shops and online.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
26 Aug 2013 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

c'mon Chris, don't leave us hanging, what can we expect from griffin this year?
I heard a new bar was is the works, any changes to the argo? what about the TRX?

dafish
NSW, 1633 posts
26 Aug 2013 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Cvee,
glad you gave it a shot. I too was pretty stoked with the outcome. I have not tried extensions but a rider in Spain who I have been communicating with has and has great results. He is looking at it from a raceboard perspective I think. Me, long lines won't get me into the surf. My goal was to be able to get out and grab a few waves when it was sub 10 knots and fairly glassy.
I really wish more people would try this kite. I think they would be surprised.
Hey Bennie, new bar is pretty close I hear, and there might be some changes to both kites, but to what extent I can't say. There will be new colors this year as well. Can't wait for a new 7mt to get here.

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
26 Aug 2013 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bennie said..c'mon Chris, don't leave us hanging, what can we expect from griffin this year? I heard a new bar was is the works, any changes to the argo? what about the TRX?

What to expect? ( Insert blatant pimping here followed by blatant trolling )

The 2014s kites are a well refined and multiple generational kite, new bar is happening, new colors, countless hours of hard work in the surf and talking to riders improving kites every year. I am stoked with the quality and performance of the kites for 2013 2014. Reviews should start happening mid Sep.

TRX Light 3 strut, pulley less, batten less wave kite with float, bottom end, top end and kite loops.
Argo 4 strut 4 pulleys all rounder with grunt and ease of use auto relaunch stability height float etc.

cracknback
NSW, 56 posts
26 Aug 2013 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

The new colours look good Chris, look forward to seeing the new bar as well, but that said, I dont really have any gripes with the current one.

catalaussie
128 posts
28 Aug 2013 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dafish said..

Hey Cvee,
glad you gave it a shot. I too was pretty stoked with the outcome. I have not tried extensions but a rider in Spain who I have been communicating with has and has great results. He is looking at it from a raceboard perspective I think. Me, long lines won't get me into the surf. My goal was to be able to get out and grab a few waves when it was sub 10 knots and fairly glassy....

Hi,

I could only try once the TRX-17m with lightwind mode and 35m lines (25m lines+10m extensions) and worked really well. I could get out in 6-8 knots in flat water, but don't take me as a reference as I'm 65Kg and I was using a big raceboard (RRD K-race70). I could'nt try so much in this conditions as the wind increased fast, but the kite continued performing really stable.

The lightwind mode really gives you more constant pull (TRX seemed to pull more as an Argo that than a TRX).

Longer lines give you a better low end as the wind window is higher and you can get more apparent wind, but the kite turns slower (as TRX is a really fast turning kite, is not too slow even using long lines, but it turns slower than using shorter lines). I think using long lines should not be recommended to get into the surf, but you can just try someday if you are bored on the beach waiting for the wind

Dafish, I'll continue trying and let you know

Chris, nice colours!!!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Any ideas on 2014 griffins" started by Gumble