Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

BWS AEneema

Created by Jasonwave > 9 months ago, 14 Sep 2015
Jasonwave
78 posts
14 Sep 2015 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone taken one of these for a ride yet ? would be grateful for any feedback, am thinking of getting some for my 'intermediate' level family to start playing around on surfbaords and the BWS pitch on these seems to suit that, and still be good for my own more advanced requirements.

juandesooka
615 posts
16 Sep 2015 2:07AM
Thumbs Up

Only review I have seen so far below. Sounds pretty good! [and amusing that they add a link to Tool's video for Aeneema, "to clear up any confusion about the name", LOL]

The reviews I have read about the Noise Pro is that it is as good as any wave kite out there, but at expense of being less great "all rounder". Sounds to me like BWS have stepped back a little on the wave/drift aspect towards the middle?

For me, I have just moved my Noise quiver and am halfway to a new to me Noise Pro quiver. Staying 2 years behind the leading edge because I'm a cheap bastard! Looking forward to checking out a lightly used Aeneema's in late 2016 or 2017.

https://www.bwsurf.com/news/entry/aeneema-kite-review

The feedback from our Team Riders, customers, Ambassadors and even Namotu Kite Week guests on our Aeneema kite has been incredibly positive. Aside from some misguided digs at the name that have kept us all entertained we have actually been pretty overwhelmed with the response. When Ben started riding this kite back in May we knew Dano was onto a winner - the Æneema is the culmination of everything we've learned in the last 15 years of kitesurfing. This review was written by Martin, one of our Ambassadors. I don't think we could have summed it up any better. MARTIN, AMBASSADOR 5 SEPT 2015 "I’ve always wanted to surf. Ever since I can remember. But I never really lived anywhere near a decent surf break. I caught my first wave 20 years ago on a year out in Australia at Redgate, Margaret River WA, a pretty good spot to start. But that was it. My surfing career never got past the white water and I moved to the Alps to snowboard. Now I live on the Mediterranean. The surf is, well, hardly surfable most of the time. It can get pretty good, but not very often and when it does everyone and his grandmother is in the water, so I thought I’d kite instead. I’ve been kiting since 2001, slowly progressing and improving over the years. In 2007 I bought my first directional kitesurf board, took the straps off and thought, well this is as close as I’m going to get to surfing. I’ve been through so many kites since then, each one slightly better than the last. Each year, mainly through trial and error, learning about how kites behave, the advantages and disadvantages of each model and slowly carving out my own style and learning what it is ‘my program’ needs from a kite. Last year I got my hands on my first ‘wave specific kites’. Less aggressive, lighter bar pressure, less pull on the harness, yet the upwind ability was better. So they pulled less but went upwind better? WTF? Hard to believe but true. This combination gives you the ability to concentrate much more on your board skills, the angle on your jumps, how to grab, on your tacks and gybes. It gives you more time hitting ramps and now you can even surf waves going upwind, something I could never do with a freeride kite. I was so impressed with my new wave kites, such a huge step forward. Enter BWS Aeneema – welcome to the NEXT level. The Aeneema has pushed this concept even further than any wave kite I’ve tried. I’ve now had around 5 sessions on the Aeneema. I have an 8 and an 11 (5.5m will be ordered this week!). I ride a 5’6 Tomo (noseless board) in the usual chop and mushy wind swell we get here. A 6’4” Tokoro for the bigger stuff. The 11 kicks off around 10/12 knots but is much more entertaining from around 14kn and, amazingly, I was still comfortable when it was gusting 25kn with my 65kg. The 8m works for me in 15kn but obviously is more fun from around 18kn. They are light, have a very light bar pressure and a progressive arcing turn, unless you yank on the bar, which makes the kite pivot in a millisecond. These turning options are fantastic for carving between sets or when waves are too small to actually surf and for pivot repositioning while on larger waves. They pull gently on the harness, giving you the sensation that they’re too soft, but don’t be fooled, these boys pack a punch when you want to ride hard and the upwind capability is at a level I haven’t seen in any kite so far. They have an amazing ability to completely ‘turn off’ when you don’t want the kite’s power and come straight back on again when you bring the bar back in. I’ve also been hitting some ramps and boosting some major airs, higher and further and with more control than I ever had on my previous kites. Today I got a great session in 25kn onshore with overhead swell. Riding waves in onshore wind isn’t easy, but on the Aeneema’s it was a breeze. Just turn ‘em off and away they drift! Today I was as close to surfing as I’d ever been before. So congratulations to Ben Wilson, Dano See, Karl Vannerem, Ian Alldredge and the whole awesome BWS team, for coming up with a kite as awesome as this. This Aeneema really is gonna flush out the s***! And thanks for bringing me closer to surfing than I’ve ever been. I’m so happy to be sharing my dream with you guys. BWS – Kites made for surfers." - Martin.

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
20 Sep 2015 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

I'd be really keen to hear from anyone who has ridden the Aeneema and can provide input as to the bar pressure, turning speed and aspect ratio compared to a Noise Pro.

In addition to waves, the nice depower and fast turning speed on these wave kites makes them quite fun on hydrofoil board too (freeriding not racing obv). My Noises sit slightly too far back in the window for my preference, and if the Aeneema is a little higher AR this could do the trick. I like the Colours too.

BWS - anyone got one over in WA ?? I'm not sure if you sell thru our local shops anymore.

blow in
NSW, 103 posts
23 Sep 2015 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Hi James,

Yep we have crew over there that can hook you up with a demo Aeneema. The Aeneema is definitely quicker turning and faster through the window than the PRO. Easy for me to say I guess, but for what its worth i'm absolutely loving my Aeneema's.

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
23 Sep 2015 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

That name tho

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
23 Sep 2015 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Blow In. I've had contact with BWS and as soon as its 7m weather they've promised to hook me up with a demo. I've owned Classics and Pro's and can't wait to see how the AE fits in.

Jasonwave
78 posts
11 Oct 2015 2:39AM
Thumbs Up

just spent the afternoon on an 11m Aeneema in 12-15knts, with the IA Signature Rawson. The kite is like the marketing says - more allround, a kinda more user friendly Noise Pro: a bit more punch, quicker turn, and runs upwind great if you let it breath and fly forward (ie bar not full in). You recognise the Pro family resemblance in its rectangular look, but with rounder edges, similar power delivery and turning smoothness in flight and gentle positive bar pressure. Only had small waves but the drift feeling of the Pro was clearly there. Together with the BWS bar I am convinced this is perfect for suiting both my teenage kids who are just getting going, and for me to use for advanced surf sessions. No loss of wave pedigree, easier for those looking to get there. Nice one. Will get a few. Also recon its going to be great for my ambitions on foiling given its smoothness and lightness.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"BWS AEneema" started by Jasonwave