Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Ride engine harness

Created by SavageCarrot > 9 months ago, 16 Mar 2016
horey69
QLD, 496 posts
11 Apr 2016 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Just ordered a Wichard forged ring 45mm internal size 7.5mm thick 315 ss $25 from our local marine hardware store.

Leighbreeze
WA, 535 posts
11 Apr 2016 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Horey,how heavy are you.:)
That's a good size ring.

horey69
QLD, 496 posts
12 Apr 2016 6:55AM
Thumbs Up

Only 80kg big enough to let the c-loop release easily. I think I'm just going to leave my safety leash on the side. I've been using a mystic two face harness for a while now that has a sliding bar so very used to going to the side for safety.

Leighbreeze
WA, 535 posts
12 Apr 2016 5:41AM
Thumbs Up

The ride will suit you.Awesome comfy harness.
Enjoy.

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
12 Apr 2016 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

What makes my system work is that I always ride in "suicide" mode, chicken loop through the SS ring and then through leash swivel, leash connects to the SS ozone leash swivel Fig 8 ring. If the rope breaks, the leash holds the chicken loop well within reach and I can ride back to shore.
I use the main QR every time I kite and can find it easily underwater, as happened on Sunday, when I was kiting in light wind with the Enduro 14M/surfboard, sideshore and 1M waves. Rode into a rip, kite was high and I sank in the water, kite luffed and fell just downwind, lots of slack line in the water. Had to wait till the wave took the kite away from and I though I might be able to relaunch, but no, the kite rolled and twisted and then got hit by a few more. I released the QR, flagging the kite, this was in deep water, bar under water. Pushed by board into the next wave to get it away from me and started swimming in. Caught up to my board, but noticed now that the kite was heading back out in a rip, paddled my board like crazy and just made it to the beach as the kite started to pull me back out to sea, fun times. Managed to get some footing and the shore break was solid and pushed me in a bit, from there I could tow the kite in. Then noticed my board was heading back out in the gutter/rip, but I had to get my kite onto the beach. Fortunately a passerby saw the board heading for NZ and waded in to grab it, saving me another swim!
Quickly sorted kites and lines, relaunched and continued my downwider is barely 10 knots, I'm really impressed with the Enduro 14 as a low wind wave kite.
I also use the QR for self landing, often there is no-one around when I come in, and think frequent use of the QR has made me a much safer and independent kiter.
My harness is so comfortable its the last thing I take off at the beach showers for a rinse, it never rides up and is comfy to bend over and pack up my kite. I've even left it on and had a ride 6klms back up the beach in a ute to do 2nd and 3rd downwinders.

horey69
QLD, 496 posts
14 Apr 2016 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Leigh, it took me a while to catch on, but I now understand what you are doing with the antal ring. Have you tried it out I mean using the large antal ring? I wonder if the c-loop will come off the antal ring when the load of the kite drops away. Are you going to leave the ss ring on as a option? I like the idea of the c-loop sitting in that large antal ring. Would be good to know how it's working for you.

Leighbreeze
WA, 535 posts
22 Apr 2016 5:18AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Horey,
Yes mate I tried the larger Antal ring and found the CL to tight a fit for the CL to release properly.My new Naish Fusion CL is even bigger than most others,so went back to the SS ring.
Only issue is if you want to tether your kite to an anchor or swap over the kite whilst still flying.Will try the Wicard SS release footing on the weekend.Reckon it will solve the problem of tethering the kite in strong winds.
But you can always release your CL if needed when only using the SS ring.
Have attached another Dyneema 4mm as a spare if the main 6mm Dyneema fails.As Steve said he has been using the same cord for over 12 mths.So it's tough cord.
Will take a few photos and let you know how the Wicard SS release fitting works.

horey69
QLD, 496 posts
23 Apr 2016 7:00AM
Thumbs Up

Nice one thanks Leigh, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I don't do much tethered lancing and landing up here there are always plenty of people around. I gotta say I'm itching to get my hands on it.

Leighbreeze
WA, 535 posts
3 May 2016 4:48AM
Thumbs Up

G,day Horey,found the Wichard release fitting better than the ring,mainly because it gives you the option of releasing the fitting when needed to exchange kites or for tethering when landing if needed.

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
3 May 2016 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

I might change to a wichard, I've still got one from my kite buggy harness, just to allow for hot swapping demo kites, with people who cannot handle just the chicken loop and reattaching to the ring while the kite is flying (it is a bit awkward fumbling around near my groin).

I would never use the wichard as a safety though and would just use the stock release string as it will not get in the way or accidentally release.

My harness is showing signs of wear, one of the webbing loops that holds the carbon bar let go, so I just cut off the frayed bits melted a hole either side of the bar and then tied it on and glued the knots, works fine. I'm not happy as a customer that this webbing has failed though and still think the harness design at the front needs some refinement and R&D. Comfort wise, still super happy with it. Travelling with it recently, I just put it in the case in the same position as the photo and filled the inside with my westsuit and hot top. It is a slight pain that it does not lay flat for travelling, but the workarounds are doable. Still think they are massively overpriced, and see very little difference in the performance of the 3 price points and would recommend everyone just buy the hexcore "entry" level with whichever spreader bar suits/riding style. The justifications for the higher prices of the other 2 models don't cut it in real life, the weight difference between the carbon elite and the hexcore is about 300grams. The slight increase in stiffness of the carbon does not translate to more comfort or performance in my experience.

Still same rope since new. I'd estimate 150-200hrs of use over this last 8 months.

horey69
QLD, 496 posts
3 May 2016 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

I've decided not to run the ring at all, you can get small chicken loops for all the slingshot bars (Mr Terry would know) for $30ish from KP
so I'm gong to try that first, I'll keep an eye on the wear if its to excessive I'll try the ring.

If I wear out one c-loop a season its not a great expense, ok so I'll need three for my current quiver but hey let see how it goes.

I have a trusted waterman / friend up here that mentioned when he tried that Whichard release it didn't work so well under load.

TomW059
183 posts
4 May 2016 5:18AM
Thumbs Up

I'm running a wichard on mine, mainly because I do lot of tethered launches in unpopulated spots. ( Sweden).
Have you tested if CL will release through it? I'm doubtful and have not tested it out. ( dumb). I think it will catch up.
Whenever I have launch help I don't use it.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Ride engine harness" started by SavageCarrot