Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Shinn Monk 2015 vs 2017

Created by nikmcc 1 month ago, 17 Jan 2018
nikmcc
NSW, 230 posts
17 Jan 2018 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Any Monk experts out there?

I rode a 2017 monk golddigger today and really liked it. And might have my eye on second hand one.

What has changed from the 2015 monk to now?

Also, what's with the names?
Forever, goldigger, ghost etc? Is there differences or do they just give it a new name each year?

Cheers

cauncy
WA, 5828 posts
17 Jan 2018 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Minor tweaks, original monk has been my fave, the newer renditions have a bit more pop due to being stiffer at the tips, but not too much to take away the buttery feel, always preferred the 135 size bracket for mid to low 80 kg bracket, on a powered kite

weebitbreezy
301 posts
17 Jan 2018 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

I think the 2017 was the first to be produced at the new factory (Austria I think - or is that where they moved from?) so its a new mold but based on the same outline. I think the brand rep was saying its fractionally lighter and has a little more low/mid range but the same top end.

I translate that in real world conditions to be 'Its a little bit nicer but you probably can't tell the difference back to back'. Oh and new adjustable ratchet pads. I like them but they don't adjust for big feet so well (My small EU 43 feet are fine. My mates EU 47 monstrosities are a squeeze and he hasn't a hope of using booties in the winter)

nikmcc
NSW, 230 posts
18 Jan 2018 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers for the info!

Foot pads are always a challenge for me... US14 (eu49?)

wishy
WA, 1234 posts
18 Jan 2018 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Tried the 2018 the other day, it certainly holds a nice edge - super easy to jump to toeside and throw absolute buckets of water even in choppy conditions. I really like those snowboard ratchet footpads, easy to loosen/tighten with one hand.

Gilly3
QLD, 648 posts
18 Jan 2018 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nikmcc said..

I rode a 2017 monk golddigger today and really liked it. And might have my eye on second hand one.

Forever, goldigger, ghost etc? Is there differences or do they just give it a new name each year?

Cheers

I would ask this guy....

www.seabreeze.com.au/Members/Profile/Details.aspx?member=MarkShinn

send him an email....i'm sure he will respond

nikmcc
NSW, 230 posts
18 Jan 2018 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gilly3 said..

nikmcc said..

Cheers

I would ask this guy....

www.seabreeze.com.au/Members/Profile/Details.aspx?member=MarkShinn

send him an email....i'm sure he will respond

Cheers!

I bought the 2015, compared it back to back with my mates 2017 today. Pretty hard to find any difference except the ratchet straps. Wind was a bit too light to really give a good run, but either way I'm happy with the older version ??

weebitbreezy
301 posts
18 Jan 2018 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nikmcc said..
Cheers for the info!

US 14 is EU 47. My friend with the big feet recommends the Nobile bindings if you are looking for a change. They come in 2 sizes. Clearly don't get the small ones. I have tried them (they just about get small enough for me) and they are nice - if a little less soft than the Shinn sneakers.

His are currently fitted to a Shinn Ronson so the hole pattern is good if you were going for a monk. I'm sure you will be pretty happy with the Monk.

nikmcc
NSW, 230 posts
19 Jan 2018 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
weebitbreezy said..

nikmcc said..
Cheers for the info!

US 14 is EU 47. My friend with the big feet recommends the Nobile bindings if you are looking for a change. They come in 2 sizes. Clearly don't get the small ones. I have tried them (they just about get small enough for me) and they are nice - if a little less soft than the Shinn sneakers.

His are currently fitted to a Shinn Ronson so the hole pattern is good if you were going for a monk. I'm sure you will be pretty happy with the Monk.

Cheers,

I'll have a look at the nobiles.

I might end up keeping the axis pads off my old board. They are nice and big. But maybe not as nice as the shinn pads.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Shinn Monk 2015 vs 2017" started by nikmcc