Forums > Sailing General

Storm Damage in Sydney

Reply
Created by Strongie Two weeks ago, 4 Jun 2019
Sectorsteve
NSW, 2064 posts
4 Jun 2019 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

3 boats at least on the beach at callala bay

Ramona
NSW, 4970 posts
4 Jun 2019 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sectorsteve said..
3 boats at least on the beach at callala bay








Sectorsteve
NSW, 2064 posts
4 Jun 2019 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

Sectorsteve said..
3 boats at least on the beach at callala bay










Very sad to see.

Trek
NSW, 842 posts
5 Jun 2019 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

They could have saved all the recovery costs and repairs if they knew their boat had come adrift and did something about it before the beaching! See it all the time

lydia
831 posts
5 Jun 2019 5:52AM
Thumbs Up

Let alone for being irresponsible ****ers, you know there is plenty coming but you leave the bikini up and the furling headsail on.
No doubt they will be in my insurance pool.
it is a two way street and as the insured you have to mitigate your risk

troubadour
NSW, 99 posts
5 Jun 2019 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Very hard to get a moored boat insured in callala bay

Ramona
NSW, 4970 posts
5 Jun 2019 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Trek said..
They could have saved all the recovery costs and repairs if they knew their boat had come adrift and did something about it before the beaching! See it all the time


Very short distance to the beach in these cases. The yachts would be on the beach by the time you pulled your phone out of your pocket. These photos were posted on a Facebook page I run for the local yacht owners at Greenwell Point. The poster regularly reports incidents like this as they happen which have enabled us to save yachts that have come adrift at GP. Two of these yachts have their headsails unfurled. The one with no mast has the broken mast in the water with the headsail free. If the headsails are secured with several wraps of the sheet around them and the furling line secured at a cleat a lot of drama can be avoided. I have no idea why these yachts did come off but two obviously have their mooring risers still attached so I suspect shackle pin failure.
Insurance at Jervis Bay was impossible, not sure if it is still the case.

sydchris
NSW, 211 posts
5 Jun 2019 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

What's the issue with moorings in Callala Bay - is it lack of maintenance, poor holding, lack of swinging room preventing a decent scope, or a combination?

Chris249
178 posts
5 Jun 2019 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..
Let alone for being irresponsible ****ers, you know there is plenty coming but you leave the bikini up and the furling headsail on.



If you take the bikini down you may get arrested for indecent exposure; that's why you leave the furling headsail on to keep yourself covered.

Mind you, it was too bloody cold for a bikini anyway.

Sectorsteve
NSW, 2064 posts
5 Jun 2019 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sydchris said..
What's the issue with moorings in Callala Bay - is it lack of maintenance, poor holding, lack of swinging room preventing a decent scope, or a combination?


Went for a look today. The beneteaus bolt on keel has ripped through the hull. Keel is sitting on the sand. 1 dismasted. Fibreglass washing ashore in the surf. Construction on the beneteau doesn't look good actually.
The keel on the dismayed yacht is completely submerged in the sand
The third boat fared the best. There's at least one small yacht dismasted in the bay with the mast onboard.
Must have been bad there. My boats in the creek and fine. Thought I'd lost a winch cover but it only got blown into the bucket on deck.












Sectorsteve
NSW, 2064 posts
5 Jun 2019 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe sails off furlers. Hull clean. Bimini and Windage down may help. The two worst off out of the three both had windage that could have been removed. I shudder at the thought of this happening to me. I'd be there prior doing whatever I could. Take them right up curemebene creek and anchor them out of the wind.
I'm just so glad I never caved in for a mooring there.
Even anchoring with a good anchor in vincentia youd be protected.
I saw the poor guy of the first boat retrieving sails, rigging etc from the surf today.
All he had to do was be there a few days ago and pull it all off.
Bit of an average mooring area really.
Ive used Callala a a few times in the middle of the night when ive been caught out over at long beach thinking it would be ok there for the night during the blows. 50kn one time and a steady 40 the next time.
Its not good. If youre near the beach there its exposed to nearly every wind angle and whos to say a boats not gonna come off the mooring upwind of you and mow you down. It happens.

lydia
831 posts
5 Jun 2019 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Not a lot of floor in that Bendy Toy

Sectorsteve
NSW, 2064 posts
5 Jun 2019 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..
Not a lot of floor in that Bendy Toy



i tried to move that keel. i was curious to its weight. Very heavy. Made me realise the forces on a fibreglass hull with those bolts. Bit of a scary thought. i think id rather be in my tophat offshore.
Id say that the tophat would just be sitting on the beach there with no damage if this happened.

Ramona
NSW, 4970 posts
5 Jun 2019 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sydchris said..
What's the issue with moorings in Callala Bay - is it lack of maintenance, poor holding, lack of swinging room preventing a decent scope, or a combination?


Always lack of maintenance. It is generally a good spot for moorings and it's just when occasionally the bay gets large Southerly grounds swells the lack of servicing of moorings become apparent. I had an Endeavor 24 come of a mooring there in the mid seventies when the pin in the shackle let go. SS mousing on the pin caused the thread to disappear. Bit of pressure during a Westerly gale and the pin moved back far enough to allow a link to pass. Same mooring contractor has had multiple incidents of the same nature.

GKandCC
NSW, 169 posts
5 Jun 2019 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

The problem with Callala Bay and Jervis Bay generally is its a big circular bay, there is no where to shelter in big blows (esp from NE thru to SW,) NOWHERE!!!, except those with shallow drafts up Currumbene Crk. It's becoming tiresome listing the number of boats winding up on the beach after a big blow in Callala Bay. Get things sorted! or don't bother us having any interest or the rescue authorities having an interest in the ensuing calamities, the insurance companies have already indicated the degree to which they are interested in this as a mooring area.
Jervis Bay is a lovely cruising area, dicey anchorages though when the weather turns against you...read the weather ahead of time, get out to sea, don't get yourself in trouble and don't expect others to get themselves in trouble on your behalf.

Sectorsteve
NSW, 2064 posts
5 Jun 2019 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Vincentia is good in sw/southerlies
Long Beach and cabbage tree point is good in nor Easter's.
The problem is when the wind shifts then you usually have about an hours passage through fetch to get shelter.
I got caught out in a 50knot squall from the west when at cabbage tree point a few years ago. Had a small anchor. Wasn't forecasted. It just came. Fortunately I'd stowed the boat before dark but the boaT was dragging and fast. Nearly ended up on the beach.
Motored behind the reef there which was only about 10min which was quite sheltered. Now I don't anchor so close in.
It's certainly a gnarly spot and this is the only reason why I can understand the local BOs diligence.
This also happened in March. I was out there 4 days and the wind shifted everyday meaning you shifted constantly. Once at 2am.
Then at Easter it was utterly gorgeous and when like this there is nowhere better imo.
It's also quiet. No cruise ships. No party boats, it's magic.
You just got to deal with what comes. There's options and it's something every boater in jb should learn themselves on.
It took me ages just to get my confidence up going in and out of the creek in daylight. I was more scared of running aground there then being in the bay in 50knots.
You wouldn't have gone out to sea that day. Outside the bay the seas would have been monstrous. It would have been very dangerous and no doubt breaking waves at the entrance to the bay. It's gnarly enough outside the heads in benign weather. Plus where would you go? No. There's options in jb. But for whatever reason this continues to happen.

I love jb. It's so special.
I'd never have a mooring in callala though but if I did I'd anchor up the creek past the myola ramp before this weather comes. It was forecasted. The squalls aren't but they come and go but many of these southerly blusters are in the forecast. You have days notice before these events. I always check the weather there but that it affects us up the creek
Any of those boats could get up the creek at high tide.
How on earth are they going to get these boats off the beach? Two are partially buried

keensailor
NSW, 625 posts
6 Jun 2019 5:57AM
Thumbs Up

The north easters can get very strong in JB as well, if you look at JB on Google maps you can see how it protrudes out from the coast line. So effectively the a north easter is a sea breeze in JB not a land breeze like it is in an enclosed harbour or lake.
Callala Bay is wide open from a true southerly. JB is the wildest place I have sailed.

MorningBird
NSW, 2146 posts
6 Jun 2019 6:42AM
Thumbs Up

I'm in Canada. I trust MB is ok or someone would have emaile me.

Ramona
NSW, 4970 posts
6 Jun 2019 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MorningBird said..
I'm in Canada. I trust MB is ok or someone would have emaile me.


It will be fine I'm sure. The wind was no worse than normal just unfortunate we had 6 metres of swell. This swell came in to Jervis Bay and that is what cause the problem there. Sydney ferries to Manly stopped but where your mooring is it would have been dead calm. Around my mooring it was calm water with probably 20 knots of Southerly. At my house might have got to 40 knots. At sea though it was fresh on top of a heavy swell.

MorningBird
NSW, 2146 posts
6 Jun 2019 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

MorningBird said..
I'm in Canada. I trust MB is ok or someone would have emaile me.



It will be fine I'm sure. The wind was no worse than normal just unfortunate we had 6 metres of swell. This swell came in to Jervis Bay and that is what cause the problem there. Sydney ferries to Manly stopped but where your mooring is it would have been dead calm. Around my mooring it was calm water with probably 20 knots of Southerly. At my house might have got to 40 knots. At sea though it was fresh on top of a heavy swell.


Thanks mate.

AzureF305
NSW, 71 posts
6 Jun 2019 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MorningBird said..
I'm in Canada. I trust MB is ok or someone would have emaile me.


I was over that way on Sunday and had a good look around her - everything looked fine (that was before the blow of course). I'll be out again on Saturday and I'll go and check her again.

G30ff0
NSW, 123 posts
6 Jun 2019 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

MorningBird said..
I'm in Canada. I trust MB is ok or someone would have emaile me.



It will be fine I'm sure. The wind was no worse than normal just unfortunate we had 6 metres of swell. This swell came in to Jervis Bay and that is what cause the problem there. Sydney ferries to Manly stopped but where your mooring is it would have been dead calm. Around my mooring it was calm water with probably 20 knots of Southerly. At my house might have got to 40 knots. At sea though it was fresh on top of a heavy swell.


Would the swells still be 6m when they hit CB?

Ramona
NSW, 4970 posts
7 Jun 2019 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
G30ff0 said..

Ramona said..


MorningBird said..
I'm in Canada. I trust MB is ok or someone would have emaile me.




It will be fine I'm sure. The wind was no worse than normal just unfortunate we had 6 metres of swell. This swell came in to Jervis Bay and that is what cause the problem there. Sydney ferries to Manly stopped but where your mooring is it would have been dead calm. Around my mooring it was calm water with probably 20 knots of Southerly. At my house might have got to 40 knots. At sea though it was fresh on top of a heavy swell.



Would the swells still be 6m when they hit CB?


No way but enough ground swell gets through to create problems.

Sectorsteve
NSW, 2064 posts
7 Jun 2019 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Combined with strong winds and about 20km of bay for waves to form. Means callala is a disaster.

MorningBird
NSW, 2146 posts
7 Jun 2019 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AzureF305 said..

MorningBird said..
I'm in Canada. I trust MB is ok or someone would have emaile me.



I was over that way on Sunday and had a good look around her - everything looked fine (that was before the blow of course). I'll be out again on Saturday and I'll go and check her again.


Ta. I owe you one.

LooseChange
NSW, 1941 posts
7 Jun 2019 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

A quick update on the Callala Bay thing regarding insurance and the boats on the beach. Talking with a local, he tells me that NRMA will insure in Callala Bay if the boat is up to and including 30 feet, he has his 27 footer with NRMA. None of the big marine insurance companies will touch Callala Bay. Several owners are insured with a company in New Zealand, so basically you are on your own finding a deal that you can live with.


The Benny Oceanis 32 on the beach is insured with Youi and they are covering the cost of removing the boat from the beach and transporting it to a final resting place as it is a write off. The major part of the damage was caused by the boat pounding its keel on the bottom caused by the surging from the huge swells. Apparently it pounded for about 4 hours before chafing through the line on the alloy toe rail which started its journey to the beach where just for good measure it smashed the starboard side of the hull in causing severe structural damage and internal flooding. Just for good measure and to add to the misery of the owners the boats had been broken in to and had equipment and belongings stolen from them.





This boat (below) along with the Benny are both being lifted off the beach right now 3:30pm Friday 7/6/19
This boat also has had the hull penetrated and is no longer a floater but may be salvageable. It was related to me that it possibly doesn't have insurance coverage.





G30ff0
NSW, 123 posts
7 Jun 2019 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

G30ff0 said..


Ramona said..



MorningBird said..
I'm in Canada. I trust MB is ok or someone would have emaile me.





It will be fine I'm sure. The wind was no worse than normal just unfortunate we had 6 metres of swell. This swell came in to Jervis Bay and that is what cause the problem there. Sydney ferries to Manly stopped but where your mooring is it would have been dead calm. Around my mooring it was calm water with probably 20 knots of Southerly. At my house might have got to 40 knots. At sea though it was fresh on top of a heavy swell.




Would the swells still be 6m when they hit CB?



No way but enough ground swell gets through to create problems.


Thanks

Sectorsteve
NSW, 2064 posts
7 Jun 2019 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

I wondered if the beached boats would be spared by the thieves.
There's a bit of it going on. Cat on curembene Easter Sunday lost they're tender from davitts and outboard locked on rail. Myola. Makes me think the thieves are around callala.
I really hate thieves. I've been lucky all my moorings have been close to houses and I always get to know the residents who keep an eye out.
I'm utterly amazed at that beneteaus keel structure.
I'm pretty sure I've heard of them coming off before.
HaRdly surprising when you see how it's made.
I'm glad they're insured. I hope it's a painless settlement for them

Ramona
NSW, 4970 posts
8 Jun 2019 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

It's a longweekend. Last day of a longweekend is the day when things usually go walkabout around here. Myola carpark is a problem area though.

AzureF305
NSW, 71 posts
8 Jun 2019 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MorningBird said..

AzureF305 said..


MorningBird said..
I'm in Canada. I trust MB is ok or someone would have emaile me.




I was over that way on Sunday and had a good look around her - everything looked fine (that was before the blow of course). I'll be out again on Saturday and I'll go and check her again.



Ta. I owe you one.


Went and checked out MB this afternoon. She's still looking good and secure, but has suffered a little damage to the boom bag. I'll PM you with some details and pics.



Subscribe
Reply

Forums > Sailing General


"Storm Damage in Sydney" started by Strongie