Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Bundeenabuoy
NSW, 1121 posts
26 Apr 2021 5:54AM
Thumbs Up

I am having difficulty turning the key in my ignition.
Any ideas to solve this issue, thanks?

Craig66
NSW, 2153 posts
26 Apr 2021 7:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bundeenabuoy said..

graphite powder may help if you can work a bit into the ignition on the key, gently wiggle and turn the key for a while.

dont use a wet lube.

lydia
1328 posts
26 Apr 2021 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bundeenabuoy said..

Get rid of out.
First thing I do with all the boats.
Safety issue.

Bundeenabuoy
NSW, 1121 posts
28 Apr 2021 4:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..

Bundeenabuoy said..

Get rid of out.
Safety issue.

Whitworths have a three pin brass starter that may fit. I will check to see when next onboard.

Bundeenabuoy
NSW, 1121 posts
28 Apr 2021 4:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..

Bundeenabuoy said..

Get rid of out.
Safety issue.

Whitworths have a three pin brass starter that may fit. I will check to see when next onboard.
Select to expand quote
Craig66 said..

Bundeenabuoy said..

graphite powder may help if you can work a bit into the ignition on the key, gently wiggle and turn the key for a while.

dont use a wet lube.

I thought that might be the case. I will try the graphite powder.

Bushdog
SA, 218 posts
28 Apr 2021 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Salt build up may be an issue, especially if the switch is in the cockpit. I've sprayed the key area with brake clean - dissolves and pushes out salt from the lock barrel then dries clean so the graphite can do its job. You need to let it dry totally before connecting power...

jbarnes85
NSW, 184 posts
28 Apr 2021 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Well I didn't actually do it but I had a wind vane installed onto my boat today.

Ramona
NSW, 6108 posts
29 Apr 2021 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbarnes85 said..
Well I didn't actually do it but I had a wind vane installed onto my boat today.

Good choice.

DrogueOne
VIC, 127 posts
29 Apr 2021 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbarnes85 said..

good one!
looks simple and robust. How do you set the course?

jbarnes85
NSW, 184 posts
29 Apr 2021 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrogueOne said..

jbarnes85 said..

good one!

Its not fully setup yet. There are still the lines to the tiller to install and the paddle etc. Once I get it out testing Ill send post another photo.

Ramona
NSW, 6108 posts
29 Apr 2021 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrogueOne said..

jbarnes85 said..

good one!

The head is rotated by a SS chain, the cog is just visible in the photo. There should be a pulley on the shaft with control lines to the cockpit so the head can be rotated remotely.

Bundeenabuoy
NSW, 1121 posts
30 Apr 2021 5:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrogueOne said..

jbarnes85 said..

good one!

I am having a lot of fun with mine and still learning.
Reaching seems the simplest to start with. The vane should be pointed directly into the wind so that a change in wind direction will cause the vane to move which then causes the lines to move the tiller.
My lines are fairly taunt and they should run as smoothly as possible. I suspect the lower their diameter the more responsive the vane will be.
Its ideal for me as I often sail single handed for around five hours. It give me the opportunity to look more closely at my sail settings.
It seems to work well in winds six knots and above.
I would be interested to hear how others use theirs.
I am very thankful to those here who have helped me with this.

jbarnes85
NSW, 184 posts
5 May 2021 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Put my boat on a truck yesterday in Sydney. Delivered to Geelong and I reassembled most of it. Bloody stressful actually. Lifting a mast with a crane and installing all the rigging having not done it before is a little stressful. Think I'll have a rigger double check what I have done.Lost my tri light on the way. Couldn't get it off in Sydney in the rain but wish I tried harder given the price of a new one. So far that's all the damage I have found. If I ever do it again it will be a lot smoother.....

r13
NSW, 753 posts
5 May 2021 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

That's a mighty effort right there, well done. Yes agree would get a suitably experienced rigger to tune up the tensions in your standing rigging so that the rig is fit for sailing again. We have recently done a replacement mast project here in Sydney and Infinity Rigging were excellent.

Ramona
NSW, 6108 posts
6 May 2021 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Well, I did nothing on my boat today. I actually had two days where I never even went out to work on her, instead had a busman's holiday and worked on my race car. The deck is finished now except for the Kiwi grip paint. I've fabricated a couple of winch mounts for the Harkin 46's which have adorned our lounge room. The winches were more than half of what I paid for the yacht!
The Kubota was almost seized when I bought her. The water had risen up to the alternator height on more than one occasion I believe. The engine oil was perfect and there were no signs internally of water ingress. Monday I pulled off the alternator and starter motor and chucked them. Put a breaker bar on the crankshaft and found it was solid. Pulled the injectors and put a fair bit of diesel in the bores. Looked inside the hole for the starter motor and the bell housing was full of water. Sucked that out and filled it up with diesel. The next day I applied a bit of pressure to the breaker bar and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get a full rotation. The diesel shot out the cylinders and I suspect there may have been a tiny bit of water in the rear cylinder at some stage. New alternator and starter motor are about 400 dollars. The engine is the D722. Does anyone have the number for the alternator belt?

Bundeenabuoy
NSW, 1121 posts
7 May 2021 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbarnes85 said..
Put my boat on a truck yesterday in Sydney. Delivered to Geelong and I reassembled most of it. Bloody stressful actually. Lifting a mast with a crane and installing all the rigging having not done it before is a little stressful. Think I'll have a rigger double check what I have done.Lost my tri light on the way. Couldn't get it off in Sydney in the rain but wish I tried harder given the price of a new one. So far that's all the damage I have found. If I ever do it again it will be a lot smoother.....

That's a great achievement

saltiest1
NSW, 2359 posts
7 May 2021 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Battery number 5 (Crank battery) finally installed today. 600 amp hrs total should do .

Always such fun moving stuff about to complete a task.

r13
NSW, 753 posts
7 May 2021 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
Well, I did nothing on my boat today. I actually had two days where I never even went out to work on her, instead had a busman's holiday and worked on my race car. The deck is finished now except for the Kiwi grip paint. I've fabricated a couple of winch mounts for the Harkin 46's which have adorned our lounge room. The winches were more than half of what I paid for the yacht!
The Kubota was almost seized when I bought her. The water had risen up to the alternator height on more than one occasion I believe. The engine oil was perfect and there were no signs internally of water ingress. Monday I pulled off the alternator and starter motor and chucked them. Put a breaker bar on the crankshaft and found it was solid. Pulled the injectors and put a fair bit of diesel in the bores. Looked inside the hole for the starter motor and the bell housing was full of water. Sucked that out and filled it up with diesel. The next day I applied a bit of pressure to the breaker bar and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get a full rotation. The diesel shot out the cylinders and I suspect there may have been a tiny bit of water in the rear cylinder at some stage. New alternator and starter motor are about 400 dollars. The engine is the D722. Does anyone have the number for the alternator belt?

Perfect winch mounts and glass work. For the Kubota assume you have these from the web - the alt belt is not specified unfortunately.

kubota.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Z482-Z602-D722-D902.pdf

www.sydneydieselcentre.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Super-Mini-Series_Z482_Z602_D722_D902.pdf

This site might respond if you fill out the form?

www.lectura-specs.com/en/engines-kubota-d722-e4b-2017-2021/spare-parts/988662/983181/11689559

garymalmgren
698 posts
7 May 2021 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Ramona
I wouldn't worry too much about the belt.
Fit the alternator and measure with a piece of string.
Belt sizes are the inside diameter.
Head off to an auto parts place and get 3 belts.
Your string size, one 2 cm smaller and one 2 cm larger.
One is sure to fit. Take the two wrong sizes back.
Exchange one for the correct size so you have a spare and get a refund on the other one.
Any brand will do the job.

gary

Bundeenabuoy
NSW, 1121 posts
7 May 2021 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
r13 said..

Ramona said..

Perfect winch mounts and glass work. For the Kubota assume you have these from the web - the alt belt is not specified unfortunately.

kubota.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Z482-Z602-D722-D902.pdf

www.sydneydieselcentre.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Super-Mini-Series_Z482_Z602_D722_D902.pdf

This site might respond if you fill out the form?

www.lectura-specs.com/en/engines-kubota-d722-e4b-2017-2021/spare-parts/988662/983181/11689559

This is good information for me.
Thanks Rob.

Ramona
NSW, 6108 posts
7 May 2021 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

I've given up trying to buy belts online. I will just get one from my local engineering shop. I used to buy these belts regularly years ago for my Kubota generator. They are a narrower V than normal. Only $12 US from the states but postage is a killer. There is a Kubota dealer in town here but for some reason they don't list belts.

r13
NSW, 753 posts
7 May 2021 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
I've given up trying to buy belts online. I will just get one from my local engineering shop. I used to buy these belts regularly years ago for my Kubota generator. They are a narrower V than normal. Only $12 US from the states but postage is a killer. There is a Kubota dealer in town here but for some reason they don't list belts.

Yeah but if you fronted up to the local Kubota dealer premises in person they would surely order in the belt in for you? Without the postage killer?

Ramona
NSW, 6108 posts
8 May 2021 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
r13 said..

Ramona said..

Yeah but if you fronted up to the local Kubota dealer premises in person they would surely order in the belt in for you? Without the postage killer?

I'm a regular at the one man operated engineering shop so I know I will get excellent service there.

Ramona
NSW, 6108 posts
8 May 2021 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

The Kubota belt number is 15881-97010 {35"x1/2"] and is between $6 and $9 in the USA so probably 30 bucks here. This is for the Beta 20hp which is a Kubota D722 if anyone is interested.

Ramona
NSW, 6108 posts
Tuesday , 8 Jun 2021 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Finished the Kiwigrip on the deck today. I'm very impressed with that stuff.

Still waiting for the deck prisms to arrive!

New anchor installed and new bow roller made and installed.

Lazzz
NSW, 639 posts
Tuesday , 8 Jun 2021 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

Lookin good!!

Another plus for KiwiGrip is that it is very easy to touch up any chips or scratches years later as well.

Kitehard
WA, 2776 posts
Site Sponsor
Wednesday , 9 Jun 2021 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

New windows for the NX25

Removed old crazed and foggy originals, cut and installed new tinted acrylic windows. ??

takes a few years off the old girl.

DM

julesmoto
NSW, 167 posts
Wednesday , 9 Jun 2021 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

Sure is looking good! Just wondering where you got your deck prisms from because I wouldn't mind replacing mine.

Ramona
NSW, 6108 posts
Wednesday , 9 Jun 2021 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
julesmoto said..

Ramona said..

Sure is looking good! Just wondering where you got your deck prisms from because I wouldn't mind replacing mine.

They have not arrived yet. It's been nearly 6 months, one is sitting in Sydney and they are waiting for the other one to arrive from Britain. I would suggest going into the shop and seeing what they have in stock.

shop.classic-boat-supplies.com.au/boat-hardware/deck-lights/bronze-deck-light-prism-deep-frame-rectangular/

julesmoto
NSW, 167 posts
Wednesday , 9 Jun 2021 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

julesmoto said..

Ramona said..

They have not arrived yet. It's been nearly 6 months, one is sitting in Sydney and they are waiting for the other one to arrive from Britain. I would suggest going into the shop and seeing what they have in stock.

shop.classic-boat-supplies.com.au/boat-hardware/deck-lights/bronze-deck-light-prism-deep-frame-rectangular/

Thanks

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin