Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Ramona
NSW, 7421 posts
9 Jun 2021 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
julesmoto said..

Ramona said..

julesmoto said..

Ramona said..

Sure is looking good! Just wondering where you got your deck prisms from because I wouldn't mind replacing mine.

They have not arrived yet. It's been nearly 6 months, one is sitting in Sydney and they are waiting for the other one to arrive from Britain. I would suggest going into the shop and seeing what they have in stock.

shop.classic-boat-supplies.com.au/boat-hardware/deck-lights/bronze-deck-light-prism-deep-frame-rectangular/

Thanks

Wait a fortnight. They have a massive back order about to arrive.

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
14 Jun 2021 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

New engine, shaft and prop, new lithium batteries, replace windows and paint engine room and remove un-used equipment from the boat.

Lazzz
NSW, 858 posts
14 Jun 2021 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
whiteout said..
New engine, shaft and prop, new lithium batteries, replace windows and paint engine room and remove un-used equipment from the boat.

Great effort but just doesn't have the deserved impact without any pics!!

Azure305
NSW, 394 posts
16 Jun 2021 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Out with the old, and in with the new. New to me at least - it was s/hand, but in excellent condition.

the old was becoming dangerous to use, and beyond saving

I mounted the new one a little further out to give me better access (i'm tall). The original fiddles came with it too.

julesmoto
NSW, 1257 posts
17 Jun 2021 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Drilled four 110mm holes in the boat today. installed 100mm sewer pipe out the back of the cockpit through the lazarette above the Quadrant and up the transom. Don't fancy my giant cockpit being filled by a rogue wave. Job not finished yet as have yet to glass them in then cut out the bits spanning the lazarette to install removable sections so that I don't lose access in that area. Note the size of the new drains in the transom v the old exiting just above water level. Never without my four-year-old crew/apprentice on the boat :-)

2bish
TAS, 805 posts
21 Jun 2021 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Azure305 said..
Out with the old, and in with the new. New to me at least - it was s/hand, but in excellent condition.

I mounted the new one a little further out to give me better access (i'm tall). The original fiddles came with it too.

Looks good, is it working well? Have you gained a little extra space underneath as well?

2bish
TAS, 805 posts
21 Jun 2021 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
julesmoto said..
Drilled four 110mm holes in the boat today. installed 100mm sewer pipe out the back of the cockpit through the lazarette above the Quadrant and up the transom. Don't fancy my giant cockpit being filled by a rogue wave. Job not finished yet as have yet to glass them in then cut out the bits spanning the lazarette to install removable sections so that I don't lose access in that area. Note the size of the new drains in the transom v the old exiting just above water level. Never without my four-year-old crew/apprentice on the boat :-)

Haha, very enthusiastic looking crew there!

will you test it and time how long it takes to drain?

2bish
TAS, 805 posts
21 Jun 2021 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

New main sheet blocks and boom strop installed.

julesmoto
NSW, 1257 posts
21 Jun 2021 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Completed my 100mm cockpit drains that go from the rear of the cockpit out through the transom through the lazarette. This involved putting four cuts through the 100 mm tubes already glassed in and fitting 3 joiners two rubber and one longitudinaly split PVC joiner with 4 slide latches as depicted. Undoing 4 hose clamps and 4 quick release slide latches now allows me to crawl into the lazarette to do fun things like service the quadrant and the engine throttle cables

Stockie
NSW, 343 posts
21 Jun 2021 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Strengthened up the stanchions. As standard on Bavaria's of my boat era, the life line stanchions are hooked under the tow rail, then bolted through the fibreglass deck. Mine had worked loose from people pulling on the lines to get on or off the boat at docks!
And one got snagged at a raft up, after sone helpful soul created too much wake near an anchorage, the gel coat was cracked. So I have added a stainless top plate to spread the load better and cover the damage gel coat cracks. I used west and filler to bed the one damaged one and silicon to bed the others in better condition. Ordered sone 2mm thick 150mm circles off eBay and cut them in half.

8 done and it took me a day to get access below to add a stout s/steel plate and new bolts and nuts, used a specially bought pass through socket set, magic item for long bolts.

Azure305
NSW, 394 posts
21 Jun 2021 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
2bish said..

Azure305 said..

Looks good, is it working well? Have you gained a little extra space underneath as well?

Thanks 2bish, yes everything works perfectly except the piezo lighters, but that's ok I'll keep using the stick lighter i used on the old one - at least im not getting green flames !!.
Well spotted! - the oven is slightly smaller than the old one so i did get some extra space under, but as long as it fits a casserole or a shepherds pie im a happy man

Azure305
NSW, 394 posts
21 Jun 2021 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

I noticed this thread has now had over 500,000 views. That is just awesome!
I've said it before and I'll say it again - these are the posts I look forward to reading the most. They're informative, instructional, and inspirational. I love seeing how others get things done, and how information, skills, knowledge and compliments are shared without the derogatory cr*p often seen in other (un-named) forums. Personally I have achieved things and solved problems i never otherwise would have without the help offered here and in other SB posts.
Thankyou to everyone.

Ramona
NSW, 7421 posts
22 Jun 2021 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stockie said..
Strengthened up the stanchions. As standard on Bavaria's of my boat era, the life line stanchions are hooked under the tow rail, then bolted through the fibreglass deck. Mine had worked loose from people pulling on the lines to get on or off the boat at docks!

In the navy if you stood alongside the life lines and put your hand on the life line you could expect a toe up the butt and a lecture on why the life lines are there. The life lines are really a one use item. I have a constant battle with friends who pull up alongside to see what I'm up to and swing on the life lines when they could just as easily hold on to the toerail! All the stanchions are freshly bolted down on a new deck and they will stay that way for 50 years if I can keep people off of them! The pushpit is there to get onboard.

2bish
TAS, 805 posts
22 Jun 2021 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
julesmoto said..
Completed my 100mm cockpit drains that go from the rear of the cockpit out through the transom through the lazarette. This involved putting four cuts through the 100 mm tubes already glassed in and fitting 3 joiners two rubber and one longitudinaly split PVC joiner with 4 slide latches as depicted. Undoing 4 hose clamps and 4 quick release slide latches now allows me to crawl into the lazarette to do fun things like service the quadrant and the engine throttle cables

Good forward thinking there!

Craig66
NSW, 2440 posts
22 Jun 2021 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
julesmoto said..

Hi Julesmoto,
It may not be necessary as your pipes are well above water line but do you have a way to stop "back wash" from entering the cockpit if your getting wave action from behind?

Stockie
NSW, 343 posts
22 Jun 2021 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Craig66 said..

julesmoto said..

Hi Julesmoto,
It may not be necessary as your pipes are well above water line but do you have a way to stop "back wash" from entering the cockpit if your getting wave action from behind?

I was thinking that two, no issue sailing around Lake Macquarrie, but if you venture outside in a good Southerly running North you may want to add a non return. You could use plastic funnels with lightly weighted shock cord.
cheers Richard

woko
NSW, 1523 posts
22 Jun 2021 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

I've noticed the big RIBs that are used by marine rescue etc, have a simple collapsible hose from the cockpit drains that act as non returns, must pass survey

julesmoto
NSW, 1257 posts
23 Jun 2021 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Craig66 said..

julesmoto said..

Hi Julesmoto,

Not at the moment so I will see how I go with that. The thought of a pair of hundred millimetre intermittent blasts of water on my feet doesn't terrify me as much a whole wave filling my 3 metre long .cockpit and not getting away pronto. After all whatever comes in through these holes would pretty quickly and easily exit through the same holes . Furthermore how do opened transom designs get on ?

julesmoto
NSW, 1257 posts
23 Jun 2021 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Craig66 said..

julesmoto said..

Hi Julesmoto,

Not at the moment so I will see how I go with that. The thought of a pair of hundred millimetre intermittent blasts of water on my feet doesn't terrify me as much a whole wave filling my 3 metre long .cockpit and not getting away pronto. After all whatever comes in through these holes would pretty quickly and easily exit through the same holes . Furthermore how do opened transom designs get on ?

julesmoto
NSW, 1257 posts
23 Jun 2021 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stockie said..

Craig66 said..

julesmoto said..

Hi Julesmoto,

I was thinking that two, no issue sailing around Lake Macquarrie, but if you venture outside in a good Southerly running North you may want to add a non return. You could use plastic funnels with lightly weighted shock cord.
cheers Richard

Thanks Richard that's an interesting idea that I will certainly mull over.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2495 posts
23 Jun 2021 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
. Furthermore how do opened transom designs get on ?

No issue at all with an open transom. I think I had it happen once (or twice) over 5 years?
Love the slide latch Julesmoto, that looks super neat.

julesmoto
NSW, 1257 posts
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
woko said..
I've noticed the big RIBs that are used by marine rescue etc, have a simple collapsible hose from the cockpit drains that act as non returns, must pass survey

Another interesting idea . Thanks for that.

julesmoto
NSW, 1257 posts
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
woko said..

julesmoto
NSW, 1257 posts
23 Jun 2021 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
woko said..

Jolene
WA, 1558 posts
23 Jun 2021 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
woko said..

Yes,, I made a piece canvas collapsible hose for my small electric bilge pump discharge.
In rough seas it would flow water back to the pump ,eventually getting past the joker valve and into the bilge
I got the idea from the cockpit drains on Pink Lady

julesmoto
NSW, 1257 posts
24 Jun 2021 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the really helpful replies guys and sorry for the duplicate posts which I now can't delete. All work on the boat (like the new waterproof Bulkhead around the rudder/skeg area) at a screaming halt now as escaped before Queensland shut its borders yesterday and now nice and warm in Airlie Beach but severely missing my boat in Sydney. To make it worse there are so many yachts in the bay teasing me with their masthead anchor lights on obviously owned by people who plan ahead and sailed their boats here :-(. Might be a few people in Sydney however that will be locked out of their boats soon.

Wander66
QLD, 294 posts
25 Jun 2021 7:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
julesmoto said..
Thanks for all the really helpful replies guys and sorry for the duplicate posts which I now can't delete. All work on the boat (like the new waterproof Bulkhead around the rudder/skeg area) at a screaming halt now as escaped before Queensland shut its borders yesterday and now nice and warm in Airlie Beach but severely missing my boat in Sydney. To make it worse there are so many yachts in the bay teasing me with their masthead anchor lights on obviously owned by people who plan ahead and sailed their boats here :-(. Might be a few people in Sydney however that will be locked out of their boats soon.

Yep Cisco and I went for a sail last Sunday and we've never seen more boats anchored throughout the Burnett River than there is at the moment. Also plenty of nomads on the road.

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
25 Jun 2021 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

I seem to remember some time ago that Whitworths sold rubber flaps that acted as one way valves. They had a sleeve that went over the pipe and were secured with a hose clamp. If they are still available they'll stop the water coming into the cockpit.

Craig66
NSW, 2440 posts
25 Jun 2021 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said..
I seem to remember some time ago that Whitworths sold rubber flaps that acted as one way valves. They had a sleeve that went over the pipe and were secured with a hose clamp. If they are still available they'll stop the water coming into the cockpit.

Same as inboard boats have on exhaust pipes, or go with fancy s/s truck flap, more bling to polish

Achernar
QLD, 372 posts
26 Jun 2021 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

As a friend of mine is fond of saying, if its stupid and it works, its not stupid. $29.95.

www.bunnings.com.au/holman-150mm-pvc-dwv-male-flap-valve_p0149150?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_dWGBhDAARIsAMcYuJy6ZY-QnGPk4y6CduZa7VLu5YtHY0qE2iyFp5drahGLtw1bFWQLLQgaAvkbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or, whatever size fits.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin