WA, 3519 posts
2 Apr 2014 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

Nice!

HaveFun
NSW, 201 posts
2 Apr 2014 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Oh there are some great Aussie designs and builders.

kitethrills
QLD, 185 posts
5 Jan 2015 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

i do....

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
5 Jan 2015 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

Nice finnish, is that the original gelcoat or a painted finnish?

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
5 Jan 2015 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

that is the original gel coat finish
thats great news kitethrills what number is she and got any pics.
mine was built in 1981 and is build number 20

Franrick
289 posts
5 Jan 2015 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't had much to do with the Jarkans but an acquaintance of mine in the late eighties had one on Lake Macquarie and swore they were Gods gift to yachties.

MorningBird
NSW, 2648 posts
5 Jan 2015 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

Very nice looking boat. Any internal photos?

What are the two white cylinders under the granny seat?

Ramona
NSW, 7421 posts
5 Jan 2015 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Built here in Nowra. Mate had one for a few years and did a five year cruise in her. Came back and built a larger Jarkan with a rear cockpit.

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
5 Jan 2015 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

2 white tubs are storage the one on the port side fits a small gas cylinder yes ramona built in nowra i believe they built around 40 of these.
i have not seen one for sale though in the 18 months i have had her
its like a tardis people just dont believe the amount of room in her.
these were pics i took of her before i bought her she looks a bit different now and a lot cleaner she was for sale at royals in williams town for quite awhile i believe.

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
5 Jan 2015 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

Well done mate,

love the Aft cabin

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
5 Jan 2015 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

very nice yacht !...................congrats on finding her ........... most have a great internal fit out i believe ?

FoolishBehaviour
NSW, 51 posts
11 Jan 2015 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Cry Havoc looks great.

We have a 1987 built Jarkan 10.5 which we bought about 4 years ago.

We are the 4th owner. She has had 4 names (we have kept the previous name).

Last owner upgraded all instruments, fitted heater, new furler, holding tank, rebuilt fridge, replaced hatches etc

She is unbelievable. Attached photos were taken a few weeks ago after clean and polish. We have no osmosis.

We just fitted a new "Lee" genoa (135%) and it has made a real difference. Previous owner had cut off 25% of old genoa and in hindsight he destroyed the performance.

An earlier owner replaced original motor (20HP). We now have 28HP Volvo.

A previous post mentioned 50 were built. I have identified 31 Jarkan 10.5. Was Cry Havoc previously named Bold Venture II? If yes then it's only 30.

Ramona
NSW, 7421 posts
12 Jan 2015 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

HaveFun said..
A great boat from the Aussie designer and builder Kanga Birtels. 50 built before sadly the moulds for the 10.5 were destroyed in a bushfire that destroyed the factory. If you want to read the history and succeess of thhe jarkan boats of various types here is the link told by Kanga himself. http://jaja7007.staging-cloud.netregistry.net/?page_id=11

Kanga is is an interesting bloke. I had some fibreglass fish storage slurry boxes built by his apprentices years ago. My mate Ken who owned one of the earlier 10.5's bought the 46 foot hull that was in the mould when the fire went through. The mould was outside the factory just a few feet away and was undamaged. Core samples were taken from various parts of the hull and tested to ensure it was still OK. Ken fitted the hull out himself to an extremely high standard but unfortunately died of cancer not long after she was launched. Ken owned a series of yachts and was a serious offshore cruiser and while he liked the 10.5 it was the only aft cabin vessel he owned.

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
12 Jan 2015 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

hi there warrina III
great to hear about your boat she looks in great condition no osmosis in cry havoc either they are extremely well built boats.
cry havoc started life as build number 20 originally called gail force for a couple of years and was then bought by legendary yachtsman colin betts who renamed her cry havoc for his uncle who served on the HMAS Kanimbla whose war cry was from shakespeare "cry havoc and unleash the dogs of war".
She was sold in 1989 and renamed Bold Venture II and kept that name till i bought her and renamed her Cry Havoc.
i would be very interested in any of the info you have on the jarkan 10.5s their names build numbers where are they now.
I have a folder with the original sales pamphlet and other info.
would love to see a few more pics of Warrina III .

KaJa
9 posts
18 Jan 2015 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

We have a very nice Jarkan called Hina. See hinakj@wordpress.com.au

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
19 Jan 2015 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

wow KaJa
she looks great and 12 years newer than cry havoc what is the build number?
i would love to see more pictures of her.
i checked out your blog and am very envious looks like you guys had a great adventure.
how did the boat perform

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
19 Jan 2015 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

got any pics of your boat kitethrills or any info on build number and year

KaJa
9 posts
19 Jan 2015 6:53AM
Thumbs Up

How can I find build number? Owned Hina near 5 years all info States 1992.

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
19 Jan 2015 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful boat guys.

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
19 Jan 2015 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

i am not sure where the build number would be mine is on a bulk head to comply with australian registration.
this is an old pic and the name Cry Havoc is under bold venture which has been glued over the top.
perhaps somebody on this forum may know if one is likely to be on the hull some where

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
19 Jan 2015 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Hina
looks great the cabin vents under the dodger on mine are in the cabin sides and mine doesnt have that great looking cabin floor.
what is it made of

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
19 Jan 2015 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KaJa said..
How can I find build number? Owned Hina near 5 years all info States 1992.

Have a look near the top right hand corner of the transom, when building the J 24's we used to put a small Dymo label on the mould in that location just before spraying the gelcoat. If they still put it there it will of course be mirror reversed and is rather small and may now be covered over by the hull/deck join.

FoolishBehaviour
NSW, 51 posts
19 Jan 2015 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

Re 1992 Built

From Jarkan Web site it indicates as follows:-

"Over fifty of these yachts were built between 1976 and the late eighties. Jarkan are proud to be able to say that almost all of their 10.5′s have been cruised and raced safely by owners, completing many ocean crossings and at least two circumnavigations. Even today around thirty years on, they hold a high resale value and enjoy the praise of their owners."

Our Warrina III is 1987 built I I thought it was one of the last (when launched it was named Pamir)

KaJa
9 posts
19 Jan 2015 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Yes I have read that on the Jarkan site also. Thought the launch date may have been a claim from the seller but other document show her mast, rigging and sails quoted Nov 91. When were the moulds destroyed? Boat was originally named Circe and was commissioned for K King as above. Cabin sole is teak and Holly , no osmosis we are very happy with her performance esp in heavy weather.

KaJa
9 posts
19 Jan 2015 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Just rang Kanga to verify info re launch date. He knew Ken King well and said he had a long history with the factory. Hina was build 48 the second last number and was built at the same time as the last boat. It was originally called St Elmos Fire. Kanga thought it was built late 91 but said Ken took it home to do some extra fit out as was his trade and confirmed a launch date of 1992. The last boat was built for an Ian Bashford. So there are 49 possible Jarkan 10.5s. Thanks Kanga for helping to solve her history!

FoolishBehaviour
NSW, 51 posts
19 Jan 2015 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

If you go to the Yachting Australia Data base you will see that St Elmos Fire (5395) and Circe (5696) are still listed.

When we purchased Warrina III it had two sail numbers. The number I use today (4530) was listed as Pamir. Pamir's original was R W King (went by Warren King) back in 1987. He sold her in 1999. There is a lot of paperwork stored on board going back to 1987.

When a boat is sold you are meant to remove the sail number and notify Yachting Australia. As a member of Yachting Australia I was able to simply transfer the sail number (4530) to my name (at a one off fee of $110). Fortunately the number on the main was 4538 so the 8 is now 0.

FoolishBehaviour
NSW, 51 posts
19 Jan 2015 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry my previous post was not correct.

I am a member of Yachting Australia but all the sail numbers I referred to were actually issued by Yachting NSW.

The previous owner was responsible to remove these numbers when they sold.

If your interested here is the web site. Simply enter the sail number.

http://www.nsw.yachtingaustralia.com.au/sa/boat/

KaJa
9 posts
19 Jan 2015 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Is Ken the same owner Kanga said owned my boat previously called St Elmos Fire? Mine is also fitted out exceptionally well as Kanga said was Ken Kings skill.

kitethrills
QLD, 185 posts
24 Jan 2015 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

i work for kitethrills..my Name is James... and this is my very loved jarken10.5 she is called AOTEA111 good to see there is more of us...HAPPY DAYS

KaJa
9 posts
28 Jan 2015 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hi James, nice looking boat. Love to see more. Wing to wing is perfect downwind. Think I saw you on the Clarence River? Happy days for sure!

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"jarkan 10.5" started by aus005