Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2018 SIC RS

Created by Grenfell > 9 months ago, 24 Jul 2017
LucBenac
263 posts
8 Sep 2018 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
21.5" already sounds wide to me. 19.5" anyone?

Quiet! Do not disclosed2020 models....it's commercial confidential.

WaveScience
VIC, 71 posts
8 Sep 2018 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..

WaveScience said..

JEG said..

sales pitch = 21.5" wide.

"Faster and more stable" than last year's model.

Yep. Isn't it always "10% faster and more stable" every year? By now raceboards should be so fast that you've finished the race before you've started.

21.5" already sounds wide to me. 19.5" anyone?

Yardsale
66 posts
12 Sep 2018 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..

TS5 said..
If you say they will bring out a 21.5 RS that reminds me of a very interesting article by Jim Terrell and a video he made with an 11 inch wide Race SUP.

www.google.de/amp/www.supracer.com/the-death-and-rebirth-of-sup-racing/amp/

21.5" will be seen as a total barge in 5 years. The racing world is going to belong to teenagers on boards well under 18" wide within just a couple of years. Then we'll see all the old men who are currently keeping racing going, leave the sport (or at least the competitive side of it).

This will be good. I can't wait for it to happen. Because then the manufacturers will concentrate on creating boards that are fun, pleasant, and flattering to paddle for the average Joe, and are built well and decent value, because that is where the sales will be.

The rash of Type A middle-aged men (mainly) with high disposable incomes, and mid-life-crisis dreams of athletic glory who have been populating SUP racing for the last 10 years have had their time, and need now to shuffle off and e.g. join the MAMIL cycling set instead. Let the kids develop the sport, rather than being held back by having to use equipment and race formats that are oriented towards favouring middle-aged men.

There is a point where width becomes too narrow to allow for a strong stance, if you watch most Sup racers they stand in a standard athletic stance with feet at most just inside shoulder width. Once you bring feet in a narrow stance you lose structural power... unless you adjust your position. I wonder with narrower boards if you'll see a foot forward stance technique.

Area10
1389 posts
12 Sep 2018 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Yes of course.

Racers will do what Jim Terrell was doing on his 11" wide board. You will use you paddle to balance, and if you come to a stop you will have to sit down or you'll fall in. Both feet will be along the midline of the board and directly behind each other. So, as long as the board is the width of your foot (when at an angle) it will be wide enough. People will bend their knee(s) more than currently, to get low to aid balance. It's the same as Olympic sprint canoe, basically.

The hope to keep things similar to how they are now might lie in the formats of races. For instance the kind of stance mentioned above may not work for the M2O in a big blow.

Emeboy
NSW, 230 posts
13 Sep 2018 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

Too narrow?... this is narrow....

JEG
VIC, 1087 posts
13 Sep 2018 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

stick sup and that would go well in racing, surf and downwind.

Yardsale
66 posts
19 Sep 2018 3:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
Yes of course.

Racers will do what Jim Terrell was doing on his 11" wide board. You will use you paddle to balance, and if you come to a stop you will have to sit down or you'll fall in. Both feet will be along the midline of the board and directly behind each other. So, as long as the board is the width of your foot (when at an angle) it will be wide enough. People will bend their knee(s) more than currently, to get low to aid balance. It's the same as Olympic sprint canoe, basically.

The hope to keep things similar to how they are now might lie in the formats of races. For instance the kind of stance mentioned above may not work for the M2O in a big blow.

Thanks, that's really Interesting. I will say that my 23" RS is so stable I feel like by next year a 21.5 would be doable I keep pushing the width with the idea it will improve my balancing muscles so going back to slightly wider boards for downwind will be easier. It also makes paddling in the winter here more interesting - when you have to balance in eddy's and chop. Cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2018 SIC RS" started by Grenfell