Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Ke Nalu Paddle review

Created by Jimmy Lewis Boards > 9 months ago, 5 Dec 2019
5 Dec 2019 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

After being with one brand of paddle for 7 years it was time for a change.
After a few months of trying a few different paddles I ran into Dean from Ke Nalu at the Merimbula Classic last week he talked me into ordering a new paddle..
I have now had a couple of surfs with my Ke Nalu Wiki paddle. I got the xtuf s shaft and 84 blade.
I can say I am pretty stoked the paddle pulls straight through the water has lots of drive one or two quick strokes and I am on the wave..
The weight is nice and light and the shaft is stiff enough without being to hard on the old shoulders.
Will repost again after a few months about the durability

webbo100
NSW, 63 posts
6 Dec 2019 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Have the same, awesome paddle in the surf .

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
7 Dec 2019 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

That is a nice paddle but if your budget is not there I bought the jimmy lewis asst fibreglass signature paddle on sale. Its surprisingly light and its only 600g more than my top end full carbon paddle but you get use it. The power is about the same but what surprised me the most is how the fibreglass shaft flex well and I would say it has the best flex of all paddles I have ever own and I own a few good ones
I'm not saying buy the jimmy lewis paddle but dont over look all fibreglass paddle brand because you never ever know until you try

exiled
362 posts
7 Dec 2019 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

I really like the flex of the xTuf shafts. A lot easier on my joints than my other paddles.

Shlogger
397 posts
11 Dec 2019 11:49PM
Thumbs Up

The Wiki 84 rocks....and Yes I like the flex of the Xtuf shafts as well. I've tried so many models and I always go back to the 84. Though my favorite flex was a Whiskey Jack wood paddle. I thought maybe it was just a memory from 15 years ago...but I took it off the wall and used it just to see and Ohhhhh....it was so buttery smooth. They just break to easily for real world applications, so back above the mantle it goes. ;)

Someone should duplicate that flex. :)

burchas
335 posts
21 Dec 2019 5:44AM
Thumbs Up

I have the same one with the 74 blade and even at that size I have more than enough power both for surf and downwind

H3nrik
2 posts
3 Jan 2020 2:40AM
Thumbs Up

I've had a Wiki 84 and a Maliko 95 since 2012 and they are great. I use the Maliko in lighter conditions and the Wiki when it is really windy, surf and downwind.
Very happy with them.

H3nrik

anchorpoint
190 posts
3 Jan 2020 2:55AM
Thumbs Up

Nice paddle..but broke it after 3 surfs....been using naish for years and i dare to say they seem stronger

justaddwater
NSW, 675 posts
3 Jan 2020 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
anchorpoint said..
Nice paddle..but broke it after 3 surfs....been using naish for years and i dare to say they seem stronger

Broke after 3 surfs!!! I have had mine for 7 years,my local is over shallow reef and it's still in good condition and I hit it regularly .the cheaper wiki blade x-tuff shaft,might shout myself a new wiki74 blade though ,thought with there forever loyalty policy they may have looked after you.?

Deano72
NSW, 540 posts
3 Jan 2020 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
anchorpoint said..

Mate.....have a read of the Ke Nalu warranty and 'forever paddle policy ' on the Ke Nalu Australia website.
Any component damaged during normal use will be replaced under warranty within 12 months of purchase......beyond that any damaged component can be replaced at a discounted price under the 'forever paddle policy'.
All you've got to do is get in touch.
Cheers Dean
Ke Nalu Australia

justaddwater
NSW, 675 posts
3 Jan 2020 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Deano72 said..

anchorpoint said..

Mate.....have a read of the Ke Nalu warranty and 'forever paddle policy ' on the Ke Nalu Australia website.
Any component damaged during normal use will be replaced under warranty within 12 months of purchase......beyond that any damaged component can be replaced at a discounted price under the 'forever paddle policy'.
Cheers Dean
Ke Nalu Australia

Thanks for the quick response Dean,that's why I. Purchased my paddle 7 years ago with no problems since then. My perfect combo Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 10 ft and 8.11 striker,no affiliation With. either brand,just. demand value for money,as I have been let down by so many other brandsoverr many years

justaddwater
NSW, 675 posts
3 Jan 2020 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Deano72 said..

anchorpoint said..

Cheers Dean
Ke Nalu Australia

Just curious anyone had a ke Nalu more than 7 years?

Dash
NSW, 43 posts
3 Jan 2020 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
justaddwater said..

Deano72 said..

anchorpoint said..

Cheers Dean
Ke Nalu Australia

I've had a Ke Nalu for at least 5 years. Seen a LOT of use - twice a week for most weeks. Replaced the blade section once through the forever paddle policy and it was quick and easy! can't speak highly enough of not only the paddle but also the service offered!

Only other paddle I have broken was a Naish

lam
VIC, 251 posts
3 Jan 2020 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

I have had a starboard enduro for six years. Used about 6 times a week. Fallen of the roof of the car at 80km an hour and still going strong. 'Touch wood'

tightlines
WA, 3467 posts
3 Jan 2020 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
justaddwater said..

Deano72 said..

anchorpoint said..

Cheers Dean
Ke Nalu Australia

I'm not too sure, I reckon my first one would be about that old and has been used as a surf paddle the whole time, still going.
I have other race paddles that are all still going strong too.

I have never broke a shaft or handle but did break a blade (ho'oloa) when learning to foil recently (foiling is tough on paddles).
It was used for a couple of years for racing, then surfing, then foiling.

justaddwater
NSW, 675 posts
3 Jan 2020 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tightlines said..

justaddwater said..

Deano72 said..

anchorpoint said..

Cheers Dean
Ke Nalu Australia

I'm not too sure, I reckon my first one would be about that old and has been used as a surf paddle the whole time, still going.
I have other race paddles that are all still going strong too.

I have never broke a shaft or handle but did break a blade (ho'oloa) when learning to foil recently (foiling is tough on paddles).
It was used for a couple of years for racing, then surfing, then foiling.

My first custom sup was a 10 ftlongboard shape by Rod Hocker,surf shapes,he also built me a custom balsa/carbon paddle,when they were delivered board was damaged and paddle was in two pieces.any way surfed the board hard for years ,and after breaking the shaft another 5 times,I put it back together and retired it,after Rods passing.It reminds me of my sup journey,and some of the innovative sup builder/designers I have meet along the way.(the paddle weighed480 grams incredible for approx 12 years ago).i have been on the KeNalu 7years a 60th b/day present from my daughters,an I'm sure that when it gets retired,there will be heaps more stories to tell

Slab
1061 posts
4 Jan 2020 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

I have exactly the same....actually two of them....had them for years and still in great nick.

H3nrik
2 posts
7 Jan 2020 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
justaddwater said..

Deano72 said..

anchorpoint said..

Cheers Dean
Ke Nalu Australia

I think they started selling Ke Nalu paddles in 2012?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Ke Nalu Paddle review" started by Jimmy Lewis Boards