Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Surftech Laird Race 14 - Opinion?

Created by chucktheskiffie > 9 months ago, 10 Apr 2014
chucktheskiffie
219 posts
10 Apr 2014 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

Looking at maybe getting into some DW and wondered if there were opinions on this board?

Cheers

Chuck

ActionSportsWA
WA, 950 posts
10 Apr 2014 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Chuck,

The ST Laird 14 is a quick board which will show it's real strength for bigger riders in flat water. However, saying that, if you have the footwork and balance (and why wouldn't you on a 29" wide board?) then it will be a good downwind board too.

The full displacement nose on the board just doesn't have the same amount of volume as boards such as the Fanatic Falcon or the NSP DC's which pop up like corks and tend to be much easier in terms of footwork.

The Laird is a great board and perfect for heavier riders.

Hope this helps,

DM

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
10 Apr 2014 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

I like it.. I like it more than the other Bark shapes [Eliminator/Dominator and Expedition] because the forward deck is a much better shape.

It would be a great flat water board that you can also do downwinders on.

But if you want better DW performance.. and you need a board for a bigger guy.. I'd be checking out the new Naish Glide..

chucktheskiffie
219 posts
10 Apr 2014 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

I thought the Laird was for the bigger guy....

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
10 Apr 2014 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chucktheskiffie said...
I thought the Laird was for the bigger guy....

It is.. and so is the new Glide..

crazybula
NSW, 99 posts
11 Apr 2014 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

I had a Bark Laird 14 for a few months and I weigh 100+kg.

ActionSportsWA is on the money with how it goes.

On medium+ condition Dwers there are times when you get your weight fwd to catch/maintain runners and footwork is required to keep it steady due to the narrow rolled section thru the front of the board. At the end of these runs where fatigue is an issue is when this board gets a little squirrelly.

This is not a bad thing, just high maintenance and good for your skill set long term.

I only parted with mine for financial reasons to get a DW specific board. I would have liked to have kept it as it is a fantastic all rounder that anyone can paddle, making it great for first timers and family.

It was brilliant in light conditions, especially lake/estuary dwers where its flatter rocker and knife bow suited the smaller period and straighter runners. I also used it for flatwater training as its great glide was good for concentrating on stroke technique.

I do miss mine but the boss said it had to go for me to get a new one.

chucktheskiffie
219 posts
11 Apr 2014 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Very insightful everyone thanks.

So what is the major difference between this and your DW specific board? is it a simple case of more nose rocker?

Cheers

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
11 Apr 2014 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chucktheskiffie said..

Very insightful everyone thanks.

So what is the major difference between this and your DW specific board? is it a simple case of more nose rocker?

Cheers

Rocker [both nose and tail].. rails and nose shape are the most obvious ..

IMO that Laird should go ok on downwinders.. but will be slightly less forgiving and more technical to use compared to more DW specific boards.

chucktheskiffie
219 posts
11 Apr 2014 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Well there is nothing like technical and less forgiving for a bloke with his L plates on!

chucktheskiffie
219 posts
13 Apr 2014 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Just put my deposit down on the Laird today, so we are in business!

i'll be sure to post how it goes from a beginner standpoint.

crazybula
NSW, 99 posts
14 Apr 2014 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry for the late reply.

The DW specific board I changed to has a fuller nose that is better behaved in cross chop and side swell, as I paddle more and more offshore now.

I sold the Bark to a mate who is a 90kg first timer who absolutely loves it - just as I did.

She was/is a good looking board too..........

Not quite standard colour

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Surftech Laird Race 14 - Opinion?" started by chucktheskiffie