Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Dreaming of Bali video on VBox

Created by porchey73 > 9 months ago, 3 Dec 2015
porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
3 Dec 2015 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

ok here goes...

So I can't go to Bali this year and i was going through some footage that i shot last year while on an extended holiday with my wife and two kids and thought i would put this up to share. I think that travelling is excellent with these style of boards and I was able to commute on mopeds to different surf spots all along the coast. As a result i was pretty much surfing by myself most of the time ( as you can see from the footage) I had a blast and surfed myself silly for four and and a half weeks and did the dad/family tourist things as well and stayed in a range of accommodation. My wife and kids loved it and my youngest learnt how to swim there which saved me about a grand in swim fees... i am kind of new to this video embed thing and hopefully it works. Make sure your little kids aren't watching with you as there is an f bomb in the song i chose. This link works on my laptop but not on my mobile device (apologies) I will try to work on my video embedding skills on my holidays..if it fails and you have a computer you can search under Gulliver VBox Porchey 2014 on youtube... The board in this clip has returned to Indo without me and Guy Baker is riding it in some beautiful waves now in Lombok...

Chris_M
2129 posts
3 Dec 2015 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Good on you, some useful tips there.

Especially interested to hear that you managed to combine an excellent surf trip with wife and kids in tow, nicely done!

My current strategy is to make surf trips sound as feral as possible, then invite wife and kid, to which they will decline. Then I go it alone. Don't reckon I could manage over a month away though, that might be pushing it haha

Macaha
QLD, 21870 posts
3 Dec 2015 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Nice clip thanks

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
3 Dec 2015 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

I will lock that away in the secret men's business folder for future reference. Feral doesn't work on my boys as they are 6 and 3 and are drawn towards it naturally. My wife is also becoming more and more immune to the feral lifestyle since she married me... Honestly though we had a ball and did lots of cool stuff together.

wazza66
QLD, 607 posts
3 Dec 2015 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Ah the memories..... great trip with good waves, beers and laughs

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
4 Dec 2015 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

Aaah yes.. Wazza ??I wonder where your go pro is now??

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
4 Dec 2015 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Great vid. Looks like you got that board dialled too.

Wezzy
WA, 221 posts
4 Dec 2015 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome vid champ!! Loved it!!

slugga
VIC, 172 posts
4 Dec 2015 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

looks epic.. where abouts were you surfing??? that right looks so fun was that over Sanur side?

Towny
NSW, 903 posts
4 Dec 2015 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

The little VBox's make it easier to travel, I enjoyed dragging a 7.3ft board through Indo as its a lot easier compared to a 9.0ft+board.

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
5 Dec 2015 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah Zeusman, I reckon I got it right with the fins... Was running Jackson Close side fins and s4 rears with a nubster from shapers. Very good setup for this style of board my weight etc. plus I got a lot of time in on quality waves which helps a lot with timing and body position.

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
9 Dec 2015 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah slugga... we surfed mostly on the Sanur side up and down the coast to nusa dua and the last one is on a little wave on an island just off it..;) we were pretty mobile and made bookings according to swell size as we went..at Sanur we stayed at Segara agung which was close to the reef and still a good price with excellent service and cheap meals at the establishment

slugga
VIC, 172 posts
9 Dec 2015 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
porchey73 said...
Yeah slugga... we surfed mostly on the Sanur side up and down the coast to nusa dua and the last one is on a little wave on an island just off it..;) we were pretty mobile and made bookings according to swell size as we went..at Sanur we stayed at Segara agung which was close to the reef and still a good price with excellent service and cheap meals at the establishment

Yer cool that's good to know I spent a few weeks in legian in October surfed kuta reef and chungu bug found the beachies out front the best but I'm heading back in October next year and will be looking at staying a few days over that side with the kids being a natural footer I'm keen as for some of those right reefs they look epic what time of year were you there the winds look pretty good in the vids

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
9 Dec 2015 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

We were there December and January .. Apart from a few days where it was howling onshore .. I got waves most days ., when it was onshore it was good cause I got to have a rest and do a few family tours..having a sup allowed me to paddle out to reefs early before old mate could get his boat ready...

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Dreaming of Bali video on VBox" started by porchey73