Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

SUP Watch Vs. Smart Phone App for fitness paddling

Created by Imoutthere > 9 months ago, 27 May 2016
Imoutthere
181 posts
27 May 2016 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

Does anyone have a SUP fitness related watch for fitness paddling, or is it best to use a SUP related smartphone app?

I haven't done any research yet, as I'm just here putting this question out there on the breeze and seeing if anyone has any advice and/or feedback.

Perhaps the sport isn't mature enough for the watch companies to bring something SUP specific to the market place?

I'm actually very hesitant with the idea of taking my mobile with me but others seem to be doing so.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated?

Hoppo3228
VIC, 744 posts
28 May 2016 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

I've got a Garmin Vivofit HR and it does an amazing job of recording data such as:

total time
total distance
total strokes
distance per stroke
av distance per stroke
av speed
highest speed
av hr
highest hr
GPS log
total calories
time log per km paddled

among other things...

It auto sync's with my phone to show the data...

Imoutthere
181 posts
28 May 2016 6:59AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that. FYI, just found a credible looking video review..

pumpjockey02
309 posts
28 May 2016 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

Done a lot of research on this front a month or two ago. Out there there are a new wave of android watches coming to the market in late 2016. From surf brands with this function using google maps. Casio already has an android watch. Nixon is in development and also another major surf brand.
cheak out wearable .com
I bought a sony waterproof phone. But have not used it on the sup as its too new at the moment. My old 4S iPhone worked great in a waterproof cover. Strava works really well on lakes and rivers.
I was surprised how well it worked.
I think the iPhone will be waterproof too in its next release.

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
28 May 2016 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

Garmin Fenix, the new ones have a sup option, but I thought they were too bulky for everyday, so I got the Garmin 920Xt and added a paddle activity, does all you want and if you get the tri model it's stylish enough to wear everyday, well it was for me

Hoppo3228
VIC, 744 posts
28 May 2016 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

sorry, i've got the vivoactive hr!!

Imoutthere
181 posts
29 May 2016 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

Imoutthere
181 posts
29 May 2016 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Haydos3228 said..
sorry, i've got the vivoactive hr!!

Very poor form there Haydos3228. ; )

jojameka
VIC, 94 posts
29 May 2016 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Haydos3228,

I have recently got a vivoactive HR as a birthday present and love it. Is there a downloadable app that you use for the data such as stroke count etc? I can't seem to find one. I am just using it in "walk" mode. Makes me look like Jesus when I sync it with my phone and it shows I've walked 10k's on Port Phillip Bay.

Imoutthere
181 posts
29 May 2016 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Garmin vívoactive HR REVIEW

Hoppo3228
VIC, 744 posts
29 May 2016 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Jojomeka,

It's already built in to the unit itself.

when you start a paddle, push the right button once, scroll down to SUP, click on it and then when you start, click the right button again once. It will begin timer and counting etc.

When you stop, click right button again, then sync it with your phone and the data will auto upload.

Today my data was:

Surf at Pt Roadknight (anglesea)

2;27hrs
10.31kms
514 Kcal burned
3045 strokes
av 33 strokes per min
max 87 strokes in a min
av stroke dist 2.59m
pace 14:20min/km
avg speed 4.2kph
max speed 22.6kph
av HR 78bpm
max bpm 124bpm
11 laps ( 11 x 1km) - shortest time of 11:58, longest of 17:44.

Most of the data for me is irrelevant as i'm a surf SUPer but the calorie count and Hr is what I use it for.

Let me know if you need any more help with it!

Imoutthere
181 posts
29 May 2016 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Very interesting Haydos3228. Thanks heaps for sharing.

HBsups
79 posts
30 May 2016 2:47AM
Thumbs Up

I,m interested- do you guys with the watches check your speed regularly when paddling, and does it interrupt the flow at all? I haven't tried a watch, but the thing I like about phone apps is the voice update on speed you can get without having to look at anything...and they are cheap (once you have waterproofed your phone).
Of course the phone doesn't give you a calorie counter, but that's not a biggie for me.
Ive tried a few apps and reckon motionX has the best all round set up and voice update.
Cheers Hb

HBsups
79 posts
30 May 2016 2:49AM
Thumbs Up

I,m interested- do you guys with the watches check your speed regularly when paddling, and does it interrupt the flow at all? I haven't tried a watch, but the thing I like about phone apps is the voice update on speed you can get without having to look at anything...and they are cheap (once you have waterproofed your phone).
Of course the phone doesn't give you a calorie counter, but that's not a biggie for me.
Ive tried a few apps and reckon motionX has the best all round set up and voice update.
Cheers Hb

jojameka
VIC, 94 posts
30 May 2016 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Haydos. My bad. I have the vivo active with the heart rate sensor. Different from the HR. Hopefully there will be an update or app available for SUP on mine soon.

Stumpi
VIC, 186 posts
30 May 2016 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

I have a Garmin Fenix 3, had the 920 XT but didn't like the Disney look wearing it every day.

Fenix does everything you want, I use mine comprehensively for training and as a smart watch its also pretty good.

If you get one, make sure you go for the Sapphire version, it has a Chemically hardened Sapphire Crystal glass that is pretty much scratch proof, well worth the extra.

The 920 will do all you want, the Fenix just does it with class and with bells on. I have two buddies that have also just swapped form 920s to the Fenix and they'll say the same. Awesome tool, so much so that I leave the expensive watches in the watch winder now, rarely do I ever take this off now.

MvsL
NSW, 44 posts
30 May 2016 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stumpi said...
I have a Garmin Fenix 3, had the 920 XT but didn't like the Disney look wearing it every day.

Fenix does everything you want, I use mine comprehensively for training and as a smart watch its also pretty good.

If you get one, make sure you go for the Sapphire version...

Awesome tool, so much so that I leave the expensive watches in the watch winder now, rarely do I ever take this off now.

Yikes. Isn't the sapphire Fenix worth about $700. How much are your expensive watches?

airsail
QLD, 1261 posts
30 May 2016 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

I went the standard silver Fenix 3, you can get screen covers that work great and I wear mine daily, I work as a mechanic and no screen scratches. Also the silver doesn't show scratches on the case, unlike the dark plated one. Garmin make a good webbing strap that won't break in the surf and a wave app has wave count, time on wave, longest wave and distance on wave. Mines over 12 months old and has a hard life, no problems as yet.

Stumpi
VIC, 186 posts
31 May 2016 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MvsL said...
Stumpi said...

If you get one, make sure you go for the Sapphire version...

Awesome tool, so much so that I leave the expensive watches in the watch winder now, rarely do I ever take this off now.

Yikes. Isn't the sapphire Fenix worth about $700. How much are your expensive watches?

Lol, significantly more! And that just goes to prove just how wearable everyday and useful the Fenix is.

Who needs Swiss divers watches and Pilots instruments when the Fenix does it all. :-)

Imoutthere
181 posts
12 Jun 2016 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

Top 5 Best Fitness Trackers Video (June 5th 2016).

Imoutthere
181 posts
12 Jun 2016 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Dated June 5th 2016

baddog
256 posts
12 Jun 2016 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jojameka said..
Is there a downloadable app that you use for the data such as stroke count...

Just add a cadence (stroke count x 2) data field to one of your GPS activities; I use my Run activity for paddling. The only bummer of course is you need to divide by 2 to get you stroke count.

dcenzed
34 posts
16 Jun 2016 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

I have a Fenix 2 by garmin, very accurate and even has a cadence count as well with the last upgrade and also usefull for other activities.
While the watch shows your distance, it doesn't show real time speed, i bought a makai gps unit for real time speed, but it is nowhere near as accurate as the garmin for distance.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"SUP Watch Vs. Smart Phone App for fitness paddling" started by Imoutthere