Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

The Plank is Brutal

Created by Downwinder > 9 months ago, 10 Dec 2014
Downwinder
QLD, 1996 posts
10 Dec 2014 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

I was talking with good friend ex WCT surfer Michael “Munga” Barry the other day at Burleigh Heads. “I worked for Mung’s Godfathers of the Ocean Surf School about 15 years ago.” We got talking about how good is the surfing on the WCT these days. When I worked for Surfing Qld I used to judge Jordy Smith, Adriano DeSouza, Julian Wilson, Stephanie Gilmore, Sally Fitzgibbons. When they where coming through the ranks.
We got talking about the plank on how brutal that exercise is. It's the exercise we all dread at the gym: I told Munga I do the plank on a daily basis and enjoy doing the plank I can hold the plank for like 5 minutes but then I’m done "Help Me Please Mr Wizard."
Munga told me his 19yo son can do the plank for like 9 minutes, I said to Munga your son’s a weapon.

Guinness Wold Record:- the average person might be able to sustain it for a minute, maybe two or three if they have trained for it, before a painful shot to the abdomen forces them to slump on the ground in agony. So if you're slugging it out trying to improve your best time, this story might not make you feel so good. Chinese policeman Mao Weidong has smashed the planking world record with an incredible time of four hours and 26 minutes. To put this superhuman feat into perspective, Weidong held his position as long as a standard round of golf or for the equivalent of watching three games of soccer back-to-back.

Mao Weidong annihilates planking world record

Whats the longest any of you breezers can do the plank for. It’s just asking a curious question "Mr Wizard"

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
10 Dec 2014 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

15:33 sec just shy of the world record dam it

Downwinder
QLD, 1996 posts
10 Dec 2014 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
teatrea said..
15:33 sec just shy of the world record dam it

Hahahaha teatrea thats just the timer dummy! during the video interview he did 4 hours 26 minutes Mao Weidong must be related to Bruce Lee F@@ken hard as nails

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
10 Dec 2014 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

The telly must be sh1t in China.

beerdead
NSW, 433 posts
10 Dec 2014 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

5 minutes, and that's with the elbows level with my nose. MUCH more difficult!
Not bad for a 62 year old!

My exercise physiologist (I'm currently a sick bastard) told me that any more than 10 seconds has no benefit, and that it is highly injurious to the lower spine. So is everything else that I've conditioned my torso with.

By the way, my son told me that I have always been a sick old bastard.

I follow the plank with raising an arm, than also raising the opposite leg, then touching the raised arms elbow to the raised legs knee. All while in the plank position, and slow and controlled. Awesome stuff!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"The Plank is Brutal" started by Downwinder