Forums > Surfing Longboarding

Bali January 2018

Created by MickPC 6 months ago, 12 Jan 2018
MickPC
6312 posts
12 Jan 2018 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Woke up a couple of hours earlier than planned at 0130 frothing to head off to Bali. Local waves have been few & far between in the lead up to the new year. Last year was good up until a week after new years. So plan was to bail about the same time keeping the wave count up to date & the missus watching her favourite sportsman Federer play tennis. While she watched a fun game against a funny yanky bloke...well like I said, I was frothing to get over here.

Arrived yesterday & things have run really smoothly. No traffic jam coming into Perth around Cockburn (pronounced co-burn, but no one does ; )....no lines through both Perth & Bali airport of any significance. The baggage carousel in Bali, broke down. But they had it fixed 5 mins after I got my boards so no prob.

Wasn't looking foreward to having to dropping the CW Whalebone to become one with itself again and an old favourite board in for a reno at Naruki on Benarsari lane, but heading back out of Kuta on the notoriously busy Jalan Legian was a breeze. Those blokes are bloody good, so looking foreward to seeing their work. The whalebones not only being rejoined, its getting a facelift with some art to cover the join. Just asked them to not use any black & to do whatever they think looks cool.

Light drizzle non stop up until after we'd had some drinks we'd picked up along the way while enjoying the pool. Then 1/2 way through dinner at Gegar it got heavier. Didn't need a shower after riding back to the hotel on the free shuttle bus haha

Had the best sleep in ages but woke up bummed out the raid did not finish by 9am. This time of year it will often rain late arvo & in the morning. But it was still raining after finishing breaky at 0830. Came up with the brilliant idea of getting a massage which went down well & found a great liitle coconuts mini supermarket with a very good drinks selection. Prost beer, my new favourite Indo beer, Bali Cider, Jack black, decent orange juice to mix with our duty free vodka, Guiness stout & Bali's Hatten Rose which isn't a bad drop in my not too fussy opinion. By the time we'd got back & restocked the fridge the rain was light.

Missus asked if I was going surfing, I said of course & she said she was happy to chill out watching Japanese drama's after the massage. So I finned up a 6'0 Hypto shape with some Shapers S9 fronts & & a solus rear & jumped back on the bus to the beach. Waves looked a bit junky, like hungover when I arrived. So just opted for the shortest paddle route round the South end of the beach. The whole stretch of the Nusa Dua wave supermarket aisles were empty apart from a couple of Japanese kamakazes going over the falls.

I found a nice section where the current pushed North before running you out the back before the next section. The head & 1/2 waves were generally pretty peaky & not really running down the reef properly. But it was better than it looked from the beach, clean, fun & empty. I had about 10 waves in 90 mins when I was paddling back out after a double head bomb I'd pulled off 1/2 way coz it was shutting down. A slightly larger one broke in front of me & stole my surf hat....I was like oh hell no, not again. I hadn't clipped it to the attachment on my rashie my missus sewed on for me....then I saw it, bobbing around in the impact zone. I have a spare one, but past times I'd lost them I didn't have the chance to salvage it. So I raced in after it with the set rolling in, grabbed it, gripped it in my teeth, turned around duckdived head & 1/2 of white water, swallowed some salt water, turned around and body boarded in coughing, suddenly deciding how good a beer would go down now.

I was like 2/3's of the way towards the Hilton, so I decided going that way coz I was curious how long it would take to walk up alongside a road beside the Hilton to my hotel the Swis Bel Hotel behind it....well I was farked by the time I'd walked 200m up a steep track to where the road starts & fully farked by the time I'd walked the maybe 1'5 to 2 km up a moderate incline.

The security guard who taught me the Balinese language version of bagus gave me a high 5 for walking back & my missus got real worried & asked if I was dieing, adding she'd kill me if I made her a young widow lol....I said I did not recommend the walk back from the beach & we will need to hire a scooter tomorrow. We'd actually tried after the massage but unfortunately they did not have the surfboard carrier attachment.

So yeah decent start, fun waves, nothing to write home about...but oOps I just did while knocking off 3 vodka's & just about finished the first prost....cheers if you made it this far reading my ramblings ; )

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1019 posts
12 Jan 2018 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like a decent start to your trip mate hope you score epic waves and flick some pics up

MickPC
6312 posts
13 Jan 2018 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Wasn't able to find a scooter locally with a board carrier. So booked one with Bali bike rental online which was probably the go anyway coz we got a decent insurance package, 2 helmets & a couple of poncho raincoats stashed under the seat that will probably come in handy. That said, its been a beautiful day with not a drop of rain & some sun. Personally I prefer surfing in overcast conditions, the suns less bitey

But yeah we got wheels, a Vario 125 in good nick that I don't have to kick start like the last scooter I rented, stoked. We got it at 11am just as the breakfast food coma was subsiding. I can't help myself when there's a pile of grilled chicken to dig into

The tide was on the drop with a fairly high low tide of 0.75m at 1400. So we just rode straight down the road to the second 1/2 of that surfbreak divided in 2 by bloody hotel developers building yet another damn groyne. Its all good if they're creating waves on straight hander sections of beach, no worries. But bloody annoying when waves are lost.

Missus opted to jump off as we reached the rough section steep decline with loose limestone rocks of variable size & water troughs from the recent rains. Not to mention the huge drop on the side. Good choice & I almost turned around to park up top but was already a 1/3 of the way down & turning around on the 1 lane road would of been about as hard as continuing. Heaps easier with just one on the scooter too.

Missus chilled in the Warung there in between swims & waves were really fun. Nothing epic, but with just a Balo & Brazilian sharing waves with me it was great. We were hooting each other into chest to just over head high very sucky rights. Just a little too shallow to throw over for easy barrels. But we all got a few barrels & all got slightly hammered with difficult sucky steps in the overhead set waves. I had this funny moment not quite making the takeoff on a setwave. The wave dredged to about 4.5 foot deep & as I was falling feet first with my board kicked out to the side I saw this really beautiful big colourful fish . It momentarily distracted me from my predicament, I was like ohh nice fish lol & then oh sh1t its shallow, grabbing my knees for a bomby to try & reduce penetrating the shallow water & leaning back as I hit to prevent being tumbled over headlong into the coral. My right foot pushed down hard on something sharp down there slicing through the big toe of my booty & just copping a little more than a scratch on my skin & later on I was feeling something a little achy on the inside soft tissue of my ankle that a few beers & a couple of vodkas have fixed. Missus took some video in between swims & got some good video of Made the very cool Balinese bloke who was well & truly the stsandout surfer out of the 3 of us. The Brazillian bloke was a good guy too, over for 2 months on his first Indo trip

Shared a really nice Mie Goreng with the missus & then was a bit anxious about heading back up the hill, I forgot to tie my board down even. But a awesome Balo bloke stopped me & started tieing my board down with the straps after a laugh. I told him I was scared & almost considered offering paying him to ride it up for me. But on the other hand I'd walked up that damn hill the day before & that weighed in with not being a complete wuss got me going. One hell of a bumpy ride, but actually a lot easier than going down. However I'll leave the bike up at the end of the paving stones next time

So yeah stoked we got wheels now, not sure if we'll head North or South tomorrow. Will see what the swell does...feeling a new sense of freedom...the worlds our oyster, or maybe make mine an Ayam Goreng....cheers

Macaha
QLD, 16635 posts
13 Jan 2018 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I'm still ripping into these guys

laceys lane
QLD, 17397 posts
13 Jan 2018 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

are you going to rip into some waves or just bars.

lurker

Macaha
QLD, 16635 posts
13 Jan 2018 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

Macaha said..

are you going to rip into some waves or just bars.

lurker

Oh is this surfing forum dam ok I surfer out the front bigger than last weekend but a little off down the line. Oh evo 903 loves it here.

laceys lane
QLD, 17397 posts
14 Jan 2018 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

Cool. Im sure all the crew would love to see photos of you and mick with your boards the evo2 9 3 in bali

Lurker

MickPC
6312 posts
14 Jan 2018 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Good to hear you got some waves Mac

Macaha
QLD, 16635 posts
14 Jan 2018 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Blown out this side now mate, got smashed on the bike in a storm bloody rubbish tin roofing flying in the air mini tornado.

oldmal
NSW, 145 posts
14 Jan 2018 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..
Cool. Im sure all the crew would love to see photos of you and mick with your boards the evo2 9 3 in bali

Lurker

whats the saying in here pics or it didnt happen

laceys lane
QLD, 17397 posts
14 Jan 2018 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
oldmal said..said t

laceys lane said..

Lurker

Nar,if mac said it happened it could have!!!

lurkie

MickPC
6312 posts
14 Jan 2018 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..
Blown out this side now mate, got smashed on the bike in a storm bloody rubbish tin roofing flying in the air mini tornado.

Yeah it come in quick, I'd just started surfing at that time & it cleared the decks nicely....was just about wtriting about it before we had to jump on the bus to Geger for dinner...didn't last long though hey, not over here anyway.

Hope your alright & not writing from free hospital wifi connection!!!!

MickPC
6312 posts
14 Jan 2018 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Late start today, didn't have brekky till 0830...lower back was aching, I think from riding up death hill on the scooter yesterday arvo. Ankle little sore but come good after some walking, neck feeling bit dodgy and I've only surfed twice. Bit soft hey, yep I know.

Yesterday arvo's low tide surf seemed to work out well, so I thought I'd just do the same. That's the thing I really like about this time of year. although you can surf the arvo in the dry season, your generally limited to SW Bukit & Kuta beach if you don't mind travelling all this way to surf a beachie. Not to write off the banks between Kuta & Canngu, they do get good. Without getting off track, point I mean to make is I love the wet season. Not only do you get a huge choice of right handers. The winds tend to be lighter & there are just so many spots & so fewer surfers that you can find waves to yourself very easily & temps perfect in/out of the water.

But anyway I really needed a massage, my lower back was really aching & I don't usually get lower back pain. We went & got a massage & oh man. I'm not sure if it was the best massage ever or the most needed massage ever or a combination of the 2. I'll go for All of the above, this lady really detected knots well & took care of them. I could go on & on describing the good points of the massage but I'll save you the boring details. Lets just say it made a big difference.

We grabbed some stocks from the local coconut minimart including $1.75 bag of pistio nuts which is an epic price, local cocomart over the road from Ramada Bintang has them for like $15.....but anyway lol sorry I just said I'd save you boring details.

We did a surf check at Geger where I thought I'd be surfing coz I was expecting swell to have dropped. But it was about the same or slightly bigger. Thought ok maybe that other place then & snapped some shots off at a local lookout. It looked magic. 4 or 5 take off sections, well overhead, one perfect for longboards, breaking quite uniformally & fatter. The rest breaking faster with steep walls & massive caverns of barrels. One guy out on the whole stretch.

I bailed back to the hotel, washed off the massage oil & headed down to where I was yesterday. Parking the scooter up top this time ; ) About 10 people out when I got there about 1230 & competition was fierce when I first arrived. There were a lot of good local surfers dominating & catching everery swell that moved. I chilled for a bit & then caught a set wave, but I couldnt paddle out to meet it properly in time & went over the falls onto the shallow reef (it was bottom of the tide). I came up holding my hat & a couple of young local blokes were asking me if I was ok thinking I'd hit my head. Told them I just didn't want to lose my hat lol

Got a couple of average ones after that & looked less of a kook I hope....talked to some young blokes lucky enough to be growing up in Bali with their expat parents & couldn't help looking at one thinking geez he looks like Rio Waida, but he's too young. Turned out he was Rio Waida's little brother Ryuida (apologies if I spelt it wrong). Yet another hot rat grom blessed to grow up in a beautiful part of the world. Good guys : )

So anyway, like Mac said a storm suddenlly hit. I could see it coming & said to one of the groms, here comes the rain. The offshore WSW, smashed round to the South bringing a torrent of rain. It was beautiful, so refreshing. The glassy condtions turned cross shore & everyone except Ryida, a couple of Euro blokes floating on the shoulder & myself went in. The pics will show how it didn't look too apetizing when no waves cames through, but I was stoked the missus got a couple of barrel sequences of my best barrels along with some nice shots of other people.

It may have been 12knts cross shore, but the shallow depth of the waves hitting the reef soon cleaned them up. Really fun day followed up with drinks at the hotel & dinner/drinks at Geger.

Gusties delivering my boards from Naruki tomorrow & then we're hitting the road on the next days adventures....cheers : )

Macaha
QLD, 16635 posts
14 Jan 2018 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
oldmal said..

laceys lane said..

Lurker

Also only one user name man up old mate

MickPC
6312 posts
15 Jan 2018 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

lol Redgum do have some good songs....the maker of your board the Sultan of Speed sure liked Bali, get over mid Dec to Mar for more rights & less crowds. Just don't bring anything green from Nimbin

MickPC
6312 posts
15 Jan 2018 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Fark I was reading down the forum, trying to find this thread forgetting it was up top from me commenting on it 10 minutes ago An arvo of shopping will do that to you when your not driving, on holiday & an abundence of alcohol on hand haha

Today was a lay day, kinda

Didn't get up early, didn't get up late. Ate pretty much the same I have for breakfast as I have since last Friday. Fried rice/noodles mixed with various vegies & some grilled chicken. 3 glasses of juice, (Guava, Orange, Pineapple) & 2 coffees. I think I found the optimal aamount of chicken pieces today...5....previously 8 to 10 lol. One thing I love about this hotel is that they have grilled chicken available everyday. Other places change the menu or don't have grilled chicken & that sux. But anyway, no food coma today

Loving the Vario125, I really enjoy cruising around slowly on a scooter. My max speed is like 50km/h. I leave the visor up on my helmet & enjoy the cooling breeze. Gusti wasn't due to arrive with my boards till about 0930 coz Naruki opens at 9am. So I told the missus I was keen to explore & she was too. Just changed the word "ride" to "explore" there or maybe I should have left it that way for fun haha

Popped into the surf lookout down the road which revealed swell had dropped to head & a 1/2 on the bomby reefs, mid tide & rising. Then headed further South to see where the roads would take us. One bloke out under the paragliding cliff carving up double head crumbly rights with no bazz sections & a heap of unridden waves in between. Absolute smorgasborg if you had a boat. Bali is a lot like the SW of Australia, to get from one part of the coastline to the next involves a great deal of backtraicking & twists & turns to get to the next area. Which is a very good thing in my opinion. It means some knowledge of swell size, tides winds is required. SW WA you wanna beat the seabreeze, Bali you wanna beat the tradewind & be at a place on the correct tide. Tide especially is very important in Bali as wind is a lot more dependable that SW WA (=Windy Always).

Soz anyway, we cruised around dodging cow poo & pot holes & got back to the hotel at 0930 just before Gusti arrived.

Oh man, those guys at Naruki are awesome. The CW Whalebone is back in action, the artwork they chose was to match the previous allover yellow. You can see its been broken when the lights behind it but it looks awesome. I'm gonna keep it as my small wave longboard under head high & use the tolly for waist to overhead. Two longboards in the quiver again, stoked.....the old favourite reno came out great too from a contours pov, it looks like its had some ding repairs. But real smooth, this board excels at my local. Stoke to see it beathing new life.

Drop in swell and car transport seemed like a good opportunity for this missus to do some shopping. But first I wanted to show her Pandawa Beach before it gets too tourist crazy. Heaps busier than the last time I visited, this place is going to be a tourist metropolis within the next few years. It will probably become what New Kuta (Dreamland) wanted to be. It has a much nicer beach & doesn't have the stagnent cesspool. Touirqoise water, natural outer reef swell barrier for swimmers and some waves for surfers not too far offshore. But really limited season, this place will get huge like bring your Hawaiian gun when swells average elsewhere lol well not quite but its a small swell wet season spot.

There have been a lot of videos flooding the internet over the last 12 months. A couple of hotels have had "soft openings" meaning they havn't finished building the hotel, but they have almost finished & you can stay with a roof over your head providing you don't mind the ongoing work finishing the hotel. The size of some upcomg hotels blows me away, like this place almost needs its own airport to provide people for the amount of rooms available. Its crazy, I can't immagine occupancy rates being higher than 15% hoenstly. Not with the existing infrastructure which often seems to be a second thought. Western development is not inoccent of this either...but anyway....I digress...

Missus went for a swim & I went for a surf out front of the Northern Warung. Surprisingly there were about 15 people out just North of here surfing the left. The reef I surfed was like a cross between Balian & a large version of wategoes head & 1/2 to double head. Swells coming from 2 directions meeting up, jacking for a sucky takeoff & big fat wall top turn cutbacks, then reforming, sometimes walling up the other way. Just plain fun & great for a relaxed lay day. Easy Easy paddle outs, chilled fun waves with no competition for about 90 mins.

Then we popped over to South Kuta Lippo Mall so the missus could shop at Matarhari....been a good day, stoked to have the whalebone back in action

Macaha
QLD, 16635 posts
15 Jan 2018 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Over at Ku De Ta ripping into the cocktail menu

oldmal
NSW, 145 posts
16 Jan 2018 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..
Over at Ku De Ta ripping into the cocktail menu

Shame you're not ripping into some waves

MickPC
6312 posts
16 Jan 2018 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

I forgot a very important point about yesterday. OMG the girls down at Pandawa, the place was like 80% 20 something single East European slim hotties in bikini's. I had like 5 of them smiling at me when I came in from a surf. Great pick up spot for single blokes. I've seen a few youtube vids lately portraying it as one of Bali's secret must visit beaches along with Padang Padang.

Also learnt some interesting language.

Bali is Indonesian but it has like a dialect of its own some words/phrases different to Indonensia.

I have always used "suok samore" instead of terima mark'asee for thankyou when I'm sure I'm talking to a Balianese person or "bar'chee" instead of ba'gus for good.

But wasn't aware Segara was Balanese for Pantai (beach) till yesterday...but anyway, that was yesterday

MickPC
6312 posts
16 Jan 2018 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Good day to get some work done Mac, next 3 days looking a lot better mate

Swell check from the local lookout revealed a drop in swell again today. Very small for this part of the coast & the tide was high. Was already planning on hitting the beach at 1230 when the tide was 2 hours out from the low.

We rode down to the actual Nusa Dua (Nusa = Island / dua = 2) which gives this area its name. Walked around the Northen one taking pics of Agung the volcano and watching some people having fun on learner boards surfing waist high waves either side. One bloke on a 666 getting heaps off the side.

Had a massage at the same place but unfortunately the lady that gave me the epic massage was not there today. Had a deep tissue verge of pain/pleasure massage instead that was probably good from a therapeutic standpoint. Went back to the hotel to wash the massage oil off & grab our gear for the beach.

I saw some head & 1/2 sets coming through Nusa Dua out on the reef & grabbed my shortboard. However it looked smaller when we got down to Geger & my missus forgot her goggles, snorkel & swim fins. So I decided we'd go back & I'd grab my CW Whalebone longboard as well.

Paddling out to the outer reef was a breeze compared to paddling out on the shorty & a couple of people commented I had the right board for the day. I thought so too

There were about 15 people out but they were spread out on 2 take off zones with plenty of other options to get away from them. So I chose one of those. There was still the farily frequent head & 1/2 peak wave with head high shoulders running into a bit of a grower section slightly smaller than where you took off but maintaining a good size wall for long rides. Was great having a longboard that just glided through the flat sections to easily make the next section. It made what would have been a pretty average, well lower than average by Bali standards...it was heaps of fun & I was stoked to have the longboard as an option.

Swell period is 33% better tomorrow & Thursday/Friday swells jacking. So next few days should be really good & hopefully we'll get some good pics/vids to share with you guys when we get home. Oh after I rebuild my desktop, it died 2 days before we came. Just remembered, gotta order parts to arrive for Mon/Tues.

Catch yuz later....cheers

McGuane
QLD, 471 posts
17 Jan 2018 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Great Bali thread once again Mick, I'm enjoying every post. Thanks for going to the trouble. Hope the swell arrives (or as much as you want, anyway!)

Macaha
QLD, 16635 posts
17 Jan 2018 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah awesome I'm still on the hunt for Ted

MickPC
6312 posts
17 Jan 2018 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Was timing for a 1230 surf today, told the missus not to worry about getting a food coma. Had noodles with extra chicken pieces, 8

Then went to check the surf from a couple of lookouts. Surprised to see it looked like it had dropped looking at 0930 an hour before high tide. But checking Nusa Dua the middle section had some double head fat waves grinding through with not much wall on the shoulder.

Popped in for a massage, unfortunately the awesome massage lady was not there & that place was busy. Had a very so so massage over the road. Then checked the surf again. Looked fun, was humming & harring over the shortie or the longboard. Did a little detour behind the hotel to see where the road went & thereon the side of the road was my Dr Massager waving at us. I stopped & told her I came to see her & she said sorry my day off. I asked her name, I'd forgotten the other day. Its Komang, Dr Komang. If your in the Nusa Dua area & want a massage. Ask for Komang at the massage place next to the Cocomart just North of the turnoff to Geger beach (beside Mulia). She has a mole on the middle of her nose, super friendly & yeah best massage ever in my opinion.

I decided on the longboard coz the next couple of days are meant to be bigger & its so much easier paddling in after a surf.

I got a lift out on a boat today, 50k Rp one way. About 8 people out in the middle. Was getting too shallow for further South & too small for the next section to the North. I sat a lot further out & wide & got a couple of set waves off the bat.The waves were running down the reef really well today, more South in the swell. Size tapered off & frequency as the tide came into the low which was fine after I'd been caught inside a couple of times being tempted to go a little too far. Missus got some pics of my last wave which was cool coz I'd said not too bother coz its so far away. But she's awesome...

If the forecast is right for the next couple of days we should get some cool pics too share with yuz when we get home...cheers

MickPC
6312 posts
17 Jan 2018 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McGuane said..
Great Bali thread once again Mick, I'm enjoying every post. Thanks for going to the trouble. Hope the swell arrives (or as much as you want, anyway!)

Thanks mate, I enjoy writing them.....& yeah don't want too much swell lol just enough for head to double at places closer to the beach....cheers

MickPC
6312 posts
17 Jan 2018 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..
Yeah awesome I'm still on the hunt for Ted

Just hope he's deep in a barrel somewhere & not working too hard.

MickPC
6312 posts
18 Jan 2018 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

The early arvo low tide has slipped back later & this morning there was a low tide at 0430. Expecting a big swell we got down to the first lookout earlier to find it was bigger with the place down the road I really enjoyed a couple of times over the last weekend was starting to break, but still too small. Checking the next lookout, Nusa Dua South end was cranking through some nice bombs double to triple head, but didn't seem to have much wall. On retrospect I probably should have gone out for the best waves of the day.

Time keeps slipping slipping slipping into the future, I was on the old carpark hop. With the incoming tide already on the mid I thought maybe Sri Lanka would be good. It was about waist to chest crumbly walls with no one out. Would of been great fun on a longboard, but I had my shorty. Was heading back to Nusa Dua, but on a last second whim turned down into The Nusa Dua. The wave between the points also looked great for longboards, long rights walling up niely with the beginner rent a board crowd getting worked over nicely. One bloke on a longboard got a screamer just before I walked over to the North side & found wedgy sucky head high peaks peeling left and right. I couldn't resist, nice beach for the missus to have a swim & not 2km's off the coast. I thought I'll surf here & considering the conditions should have plenty of energy left to surf down the road or Nusa Dua reef on the arvo low tide.

There were about about 8 people out, although 4 of them comprised a couple of locals pushing a couple of girls into waves. So you'd just get on whatever side you wanted to go coz they'd go straight in a poo man stance. There was one local bloke that surfed alright and a man with his 2 sons who were all boogie boarding. It was a real novelty surf, felt nice to go left surfing backhand again beside this low rock point covered in greenery. Got a few rights too.

One of the chicks getting pushed in on a big yellow longboard was on the wrong board, she should have been on a softop. There were plenty available on the beach. I saw her get pushed in on the shoulder with a bloke taking off on the peak heading right for her. she did a big wheelie & this local bloke ducked under the front of her board flying down the line just before she fell off. I was impressed with his style lol...another Aussie guy who had only just paddled out was not so lucky. He caught his first wave taking off close behind her. She turned too early getting drawn up the wave only to have her board come whipping down with the lip. This blokes just dived for cover & I was watching hoping he didn't get hurt it was so close. Luckily he was alright, unluckily his board lost a fin. I felt so sorry for him, I'd just been talking to him & he'd told me he'd been out of the water for ages due to an injury. The girl on the yellow board paddled in, sad it would have put a bummer on her day too. The local bloke should have been pushing her into smaller knee high waves on the inside...

Missus wandered around Bali collection for a while where there seems to be like 4 shops repeated over & over again. I informed her by the 3rd set I was starving & was gonna have to bail for lunch. Luckily she'd found a new swimsuit, so she'd had a fix.

We had lunch at the Nusa Dua Beach Grill with an epic view of the surf. We often have a big brekky, then share a plate for lunch & have been enjoying a Hainan Chicken (steamed chicken) with salad, rice & soup for dinner. However the Mahi Mahi we ordered was the smallest serve of Mahi Mahi we have ever received & also the most expensive. So after finishing that pretty quick we went to the restaurant we like on Geger & got a chicken burger with chips. More food, just as good, same view only slightly less elevated & 20% of the cost of the Mahi Mahi at the beach grill.

Did I go surfing again? No...Nusa Dua had a fairly strong cross shore on it & the double to triple head peak looked a bit shifty. The place down the road was now about chest high but also cross shore. We walked down Geger about 200m to a seaside store with the best shell collection I've seen in Bali. I discovered it yesterday when I paddled in from the Nusa Dua reef & thought the prices the lady was quoting even without haggling were really good. So we bought 4 really nice shells for 400k Rp with only a bit of haggling. Then bought a bum bag from another one for when my mouth mounted gopro runs out of battery. I'm probably going to take it out tomorrow, I think the swell will be bigger *fingers crossed*

Ok soz like the local bloke down the road said to us today, "mar tar nae" its Japanese for cya later ; D

IFocus
WA, 309 posts
18 Jan 2018 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Macaha said..

Haha looks like Woolly good bloke.

Macaha
QLD, 16635 posts
18 Jan 2018 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
IFocus said..

Macaha said..

Select to expand quote
IFocus said..

Macaha said..

haha small world I thought one of you guys from WA would know who he was haha

IFocus
WA, 309 posts
18 Jan 2018 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome write up Mick you take me right back to Bali, thanks for making the effort just read through today when I remembered that you're over there, hope you score Cheers

IFocus
WA, 309 posts
18 Jan 2018 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

IFocus said..

Macaha said..

IFocus said..

Macaha said..

haha small world I thought one of you guys from WA would know who he was haha

Yeah anyone from Mandurah and 1/2 WA, brought my last wet-suit from his shop he also runs the local surf school for the groms does a really good job.

MickPC
6312 posts
19 Jan 2018 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
IFocus said..
Awesome write up Mick you take me right back to Bali, thanks for making the effort just read through today when I remembered that you're over there, hope you score Cheers

Cheers bro, almost over, nothing epic but been good fun...I was gonna comment it could be Wooly also but this is his busiest time with the shop & lessons. So doubted it was him

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Bali January 2018" started by MickPC