Custom Board, Tuttle or rail

28 days ago
Reply
Register to post, see what you've read, and subscribe to topics.
snapback
snapback
73 posts
73 posts
1 Sep 2026 5:11pm
hey guys

i want to buy a custom windfoil board. i have a carbon simmer deep tuttle mast and i‘m not sure if should stick with tuttle or change to rails as most brands in the freeride/freestyle sector change to rails exept severne with the predator.
with rails i could change position with different front wings, but i would have to get a new mast.

what would you do also regarding less foil options in the future?
2keen
2keen
WA
388 posts
WA, 388 posts
1 Sep 2026 6:27pm
If you’re getting custom, get both. Deep Tuttle for your Simmer mast and tracks for any future purchases🤙
Mark _australia
Mark _australia
WA
23807 posts
WA, 23807 posts
1 Sep 2026 6:52pm
^^^ yup that was my thought too. Done well they will be stronger together than only having one or the other and say 300g extra to add a DT to a track install
miamiwindsurfe
miamiwindsurfe
213 posts
213 posts
2 Sep 2026 9:27pm
Hard to predict the future... But I would not base my decision on older mast, masts are getting stiffer, lighter and less drag ..., if you have the money for a custom board, don't ruin it .. tracks+ Tuttle= extra drag,extra weight, if you are not racing, tracks gives you more options. Just ordered custom from Frank foil boards with tracks myself ..
jdfoils
jdfoils
478 posts
478 posts
2 Sep 2026 11:06pm
Use the adjustable tuttle box.
Mark _australia
Mark _australia
WA
23807 posts
WA, 23807 posts
3 Sep 2026 7:13pm
Dunno about the drag argument. I have retrofitted SUP style handles in the bottom of factory boards and nobody has said it’s noticeable.
and you could put a blanker in the DT if you wanted. Just saw the head off an old rubbish Tuttle fin.
2keen
2keen
WA
388 posts
WA, 388 posts
3 Sep 2026 9:27pm
miamiwindsurfe said..
Hard to predict the future... But I would not base my decision on older mast, masts are getting stiffer, lighter and less drag ..., if you have the money for a custom board, don't ruin it .. tracks+ Tuttle= extra drag,extra weight, if you are not racing, tracks gives you more options. Just ordered custom from Frank foil boards with tracks myself ..


Miami,
Frank seem to be gold standard in downwind boards, didn’t know they also do windfoil. Keep us posted!!
Cheers
BullroarerTook
BullroarerTook
320 posts
320 posts
4 Sep 2026 2:58am
As a swell style foiler, I’ve found significant improvement in sliding the mast 1 cm. So I would always go for twin tracks.
jdfoils
jdfoils
478 posts
478 posts
4 Sep 2026 9:56am
I carve swell and foilstyle. The only time I move my foil position is when I move the footstraps.
I use locking t-nuts to assure my foil goes in the same place every time.
Grantmac
Grantmac
2416 posts
2416 posts
4 Sep 2026 6:55pm
Do both. You'll never notice the weight or drag but it will be stronger and more versatile.
sailortrash
sailortrash
29 posts
29 posts
24 Sep 2026 1:30pm
I use 4 positions frequently, and it’s a huge difference in trimming between my normal flatwater/lake spot and ocean conditions

one for the bigger wing (main point of reference)
+ 2 cm for the smaller wing
-4/6 cm for swell riding
+ 6 cm for a 753 fuse (vs normal 90)

if u want a no-limits board, go with tracks (or both). I guess Tuttle works for more defined conditions .
John340
John340
QLD
3453 posts
QLD, 3453 posts
24 Sep 2026 4:31pm
I installed twin tracks to my Predator 110. I would never go back to a Tuttle box.
Please Register, or first...
Topics Subscribe Reply