Foilstyle for heavyweights

24 days ago
Reply
Register to post, see what you've read, and subscribe to topics.
Grantmac
Grantmac
2416 posts
2416 posts
6 Sep 2026 9:48am
After a multi-year relationship with winging I'm becoming tempted by some freeride foil and moving towards foilstyle.

Thing is I'm pushing 100kg in gear and I don't want to be swimming home. All the equipment looks to be barely uphaulable at most or a full on sinker at worst. Availability isn't great either.
Would I be completely off base trying to find a Wizard 130? Or should I focus on the 114 and deal with a lack of low end. Ideally I'd like to be getting on the water in 12kts.

Foil I'm less concerned about. I've got the Balz 909/370/93cm and all I should need to get is the 903K fuselage.
thedoor
thedoor
2538 posts
2538 posts
6 Sep 2026 11:23am
Grantmac said..
After a multi-year relationship with winging I'm becoming tempted by some freeride foil and moving towards foilstyle.

Thing is I'm pushing 100kg in gear and I don't want to be swimming home. All the equipment looks to be barely uphaulable at most or a full on sinker at worst. Availability isn't great either.
Would I be completely off base trying to find a Wizard 130? Or should I focus on the 114 and deal with a lack of low end. Ideally I'd like to be getting on the water in 12kts.

Foil I'm less concerned about. I've got the Balz 909/370/93cm and all I should need to get is the 903K fuselage.


I have never been a swing weight guy, maybe if I did aerial stuff I could see swing weight mattering. its hard to get better at foiling if you are slogging, so my vote would be 130L. Although, I would also look at slightly narrower shapes in high volume. Personally, I have more success with my non=aerial freestyle on the earlier Balz 99 series than the pro series, but that might just be me (I have only tried the 909). If you can find a cheap 999 I would definitely recommend it, esp at your weight.

In this recent helitack video I am on 999.


utcminusfour
utcminusfour
826 posts
826 posts
6 Sep 2026 10:12pm
Hey Grantmac!
Glad to hear you’re getting back into windfoiling! I’m in the same weight class as you, and I’ve been pretty focused on carving freestyle maneuvers for years now. I’m keen to help any way I can.
I agree with thedoor about both the boards and the foils.
The key to learning foiling maneuvers is making lots of attempts. You try, fall in, get back up and do it again. You want a board that is easy to uphaul and helps you get flying again quickly. It’s also a lot less intimidating to put yourself backwinded in 12 knots than in 25, so a board that works well in lighter wind will help your progression.
Swing weight matters, sure, but shortening a board comes at such a cost to takeoff and general comfort that, beyond a certain point, the tradeoff doesn’t make sense to me. I built and tested my own take on what was essentially a Wizard 145, and of all the boards I’ve tried, I liked that one the least. The short waterline was unnecessarily uncomfortable and made uphauling and takeoff harder than they needed to be. I really didn’t notice enough reduction in swing weight to justify those tradeoffs.
I’ve rode the 999 for 2.5 years and really like it. It takes off early, is user-friendly and is still plenty fast. When it comes to learning carving maneuvers, low stall speed is your friend.
Unfortunately, I don’t have a production board I can confidently recommend, and that sucks. There should be more options for bigger riders who want maneuverability without sacrificing easy takeoff and basic usability. That lack of options is a big part of why I build my own boards. As always, I’m happy to share my CAD files if you want to use them as a starting point for a custom.
Of the Slingshots, I agree that the 130 is a better choice than the smaller options, but I’m still not convinced it’s the ideal board for you.
BullroarerTook
BullroarerTook
320 posts
320 posts
6 Sep 2026 10:24pm
Not much help, but I’m on the Duotone Stingray 116 at 82 kg. And while I’m just starting FS, thedoor has done 360s etc on my board so I know it will work. For your weight the 126 is probably better. Not much help because they’re hard to find and we wait for the new models to drop. I’ve heard both next week and next year. George Grisely is on the new 103 in his video and it looks tasty. He used to ride thedoor’s board.
Awalkspoiled
Awalkspoiled
WA
547 posts
WA, 547 posts
7 Sep 2026 8:10am
Sounds like the Severne Predator 125 would work well. I generally ride an Alien 155 but that's because I like big sails - 7.0 and 8.5. I've ridden the 125 with a 6.0 and it up hauled OK (ankle deep) under my 105kg and foiled up well. That was with a big (1400) Severne foil but I'm sure it would be just as happy with other setups.
2keen
2keen
WA
388 posts
WA, 388 posts
7 Sep 2026 10:26am



Recently picked up a JP Foil Slate 8’2 x 30” 128 litres. I can highly recommend these as an outside the box option. I mount the foil at the front of the tracks which gives a distance of approximately 60cm from mast base to front of foil mast, resulting in a surprisingly loose ride. I’ve been riding it strapless in sub 13 knots with a SAB 899, I’m 90kgs. As the others have suggested try and pick up a 999 to make things easier. Easy uphaul, smooth takeoff no probs carving downwind 360’s upwind here I come!!
thedoor
thedoor
2538 posts
2538 posts
7 Sep 2026 12:24pm
Love the look of the that foil slate. APB for JJ to get some video please 😂

I saw the predator, might be a bit small for OP but great shape.

For the blokes using "sup-ish" boards what are your thoughts on these for OP

tillosports.com/tillo-element-82/

bigwinds.com/products/naish-windfoil-crossover-131-liter/

Mark _australia
Mark _australia
WA
23808 posts
WA, 23808 posts
7 Sep 2026 4:44pm
^^^ Dunno about suitability, but in that age range, Naish winGfoil had self-destructing tracks so I wouldn't.


Grantmac
Grantmac
2416 posts
2416 posts
8 Sep 2026 3:52pm
I'm a footstraps all the time sort of person, even winging. So anything unstrapped would need to be cheap.
Actually given the budget almost anything needs to be pretty cheap.
My last windfoil board was a Hypernut 4-in-1 106L which I moved the mast track back and installed inboard tracks. It was both too low volume and also inefficient but I liked the concept since I do some WindSUP on occasion.
The Tilo and there was an older Exocet which was a 4-in-1 all seem like they might not actually ride waves very well in fin mode. Of course I'd be buying those blind and that length of board is a challenge with my vehicle. They also aren't going to be very well suited to foilstyle. I remember jumping the Hypernut being rather harrowing and that was with no intentional rotations.

Goya Airbolt is an interesting shape if I could find one?
6u1d0
6u1d0
137 posts
137 posts
9 Sep 2026 11:37pm
MB boards basilisk 125 ?

Not easy to find, depending where you are.

F one rocket
I liked the 105 I tried. But I was already making my first board, wich was quite comparable in size and shape. If I am correct, a big version was available.



Grantmac
Grantmac
2416 posts
2416 posts
10 Sep 2026 4:13am
The MB are very interesting, unfortunately extremely expensive to get to Canada. I looked when they first came out.
KDog
KDog
388 posts
388 posts
10 Sep 2026 4:37am
Probably not enough volume slingshot 115 freestyle are almost being given away gen2 $300 gen3 $349 the catch is you would have to drive to the gorge warehouse to pickup ,shipping to Canada with all the bs going on not going to be reasonable right now.
Grantmac
Grantmac
2416 posts
2416 posts
10 Sep 2026 7:20am
I've thought about making a trip down during one of the swap meets and if I strike out used trying for something direct from Slingshot, work just keeps getting in the way.
6u1d0
6u1d0
137 posts
137 posts
10 Sep 2026 4:08pm
Budget limited and specific requirements and not having access to many brand... You either can build your own (not that hard if you have access to some CNC company to provide the preshaped foam from your shape3d lite project) or modify a used windsurf board. The best result are from slightly larger than your requirement, cut the rear, laminated a hardcore foil box (dual track or DTT, or both), and add new footstraps plugs. Basically a foilstyle just need some flat tail rocker, short length and a UJ in the front straps.


utcminusfour
utcminusfour
826 posts
826 posts
11 Sep 2026 7:14am
2keen said..



Recently picked up a JP Foil Slate 8’2 x 30” 128 litres. I can highly recommend these as an outside the box option. I mount the foil at the front of the tracks which gives a distance of approximately 60cm from mast base to front of foil mast, resulting in a surprisingly loose ride. I’ve been riding it strapless in sub 13 knots with a SAB 899, I’m 90kgs. As the others have suggested try and pick up a 999 to make things easier. Easy uphaul, smooth takeoff no probs carving downwind 360’s upwind here I come!!


That's really clever Simon! Man, I would love to try that out! I am so curious about that design. I am leery of surf rockers but that looks pretty flat, and you say it takes off smooth. Must be the length. With that much length it is easy to get stability with less volume. There is one for sale in the states for a grand and I am tempted. It is 18" longer than my designs. It won't fit inside my car, but my car is gonna be getting an upgrade to an 8' bed truck or van before too long. The other challenge for me is that I have a hike in and out at the beach. To make it in one trip I carry the board behind my back with foil mast on my shoulder and the distance from the front of the tracks and the nose is too long so it would drag on the ground. I sure would love to see what it could do just for the chance to learn about design. I need basics like sails and masts before I could buy an experiment. Wish I could just drop in and sail with you guys! Good luck with UW 360's! Send it mate!
Grantmac
Grantmac
2416 posts
2416 posts
11 Sep 2026 7:42am
There is a Fanatic Bee 120L for sale locally if I want a hybrid SUP set-up. Probably want something shorter though.
coolmove
coolmove
93 posts
93 posts
11 Sep 2026 11:08am
I don't know how good your Surfing skills are, but for lightwind foilstyle with 100 kg i would choose the 114l board and Sabfoil 969/370. Sail Severne Foilfreek / Rad 5,2
Grantmac
Grantmac
2416 posts
2416 posts
12 Sep 2026 4:41am
coolmove said..
I don't know how good your Surfing skills are, but for lightwind foilstyle with 100 kg i would choose the 114l board and Sabfoil 969/370. Sail Severne Foilfreek / Rad 5,2


So you are recommending a smaller board plus larger foil combo, although not as large a foil as other people.

I'm mainly a low intermediate freeride/onshore wave sailor. Basically zero freestyle experience on a fin.
thedoor
thedoor
2538 posts
2538 posts
13 Sep 2026 1:37am
Grantmac said..
There is a Fanatic Bee 120L for sale locally if I want a hybrid SUP set-up. Probably want something shorter though.


At your weight I would go the Bee, if in the $500 range.

Looks great


You can gamble on a slingshot freestyle at 115L as they are super cheap but my gut says that its less than actually 115L . If you had lots of fin experience recently then I am sure you could uphaul the freestyle but sounds like you might struggle?
aeroegnr
aeroegnr
1784 posts
1784 posts
14 Sep 2026 2:39am
thedoor said..

Grantmac said..
There is a Fanatic Bee 120L for sale locally if I want a hybrid SUP set-up. Probably want something shorter though.



At your weight I would go the Bee, if in the $500 range.

Looks great


You can gamble on a slingshot freestyle at 115L as they are super cheap but my gut says that its less than actually 115L . If you had lots of fin experience recently then I am sure you could uphaul the freestyle but sounds like you might struggle?


Me at 208lbs plus shortie and all that uphauling a 7.0 in flat water:



Paducah
Paducah
2875 posts
2875 posts
14 Sep 2026 3:00am
aeroegnr said..

thedoor said..


Grantmac said..
There is a Fanatic Bee 120L for sale locally if I want a hybrid SUP set-up. Probably want something shorter though.




At your weight I would go the Bee, if in the $500 range.

Looks great


You can gamble on a slingshot freestyle at 115L as they are super cheap but my gut says that its less than actually 115L . If you had lots of fin experience recently then I am sure you could uphaul the freestyle but sounds like you might struggle?



Me at 208lbs plus shortie and all that uphauling a 7.0 in flat water:




Up periscope! 😁
Grantmac
Grantmac
2416 posts
2416 posts
14 Sep 2026 4:29am
Definitely a struggle I'm looking to avoid
aeroegnr
aeroegnr
1784 posts
1784 posts
14 Sep 2026 4:40am
Grantmac said..
Definitely a struggle I'm looking to avoid


Understandable. It's not so easy when it's not flat water.
jdfoils
jdfoils
478 posts
478 posts
14 Sep 2026 12:36pm
Slingshot freestyle 115 isn't much of a gamble and has been my daily driver for the last few years. Volume seems correct and is OK to uphaul.

A bit heavy, but very solidly built for the rigors of foilstyle. As a bonus, a replacement is cheaper than a major repair would cost. When I travel I bring two of these in case of mishaps 😁

Damn this bug ridden pos forum!
Grantmac
Grantmac
2416 posts
2416 posts
14 Sep 2026 1:42pm
Thoughts on putting a mast track on a higher volume flat rocker wing board?
6u1d0
6u1d0
137 posts
137 posts
14 Sep 2026 1:46pm
coolmove said..
I don't know how good your Surfing skills are, but for lightwind foilstyle with 100 kg i would choose the 114l board and Sabfoil 969/370. Sail Severne Foilfreek / Rad 5,2



aeroegnr said..

thedoor said..


Grantmac said..
There is a Fanatic Bee 120L for sale locally if I want a hybrid SUP set-up. Probably want something shorter though.




At your weight I would go the Bee, if in the $500 range.

Looks great


You can gamble on a slingshot freestyle at 115L as they are super cheap but my gut says that its less than actually 115L . If you had lots of fin experience recently then I am sure you could uphaul the freestyle but sounds like you might struggle?



Me at 208lbs plus shortie and all that uphauling a 7.0 in flat water:




Man ! I know why I gave up anything above 5.0.


6u1d0
6u1d0
137 posts
137 posts
14 Sep 2026 2:33pm
Grantmac said..
Thoughts on putting a mast track on a higher volume flat rocker wing board?


If what you're looking for is a plug and play 120+l winDfoil, you could try to find a RRD Beluga (some have a mast track) or RRD pocket rocket which was one of the first sub 2m windfoil board (still big volume). The 2m version is almost 150l.
jdfoils
jdfoils
478 posts
478 posts
14 Sep 2026 11:13pm
Grantmac said..
Thoughts on putting a mast track on a higher volume flat rocker wing board?


Thought about it, but loads between the foil tracks and the mast track are far higher than any of my wing boards could handle.
thedoor
thedoor
2538 posts
2538 posts
15 Sep 2026 3:48am
Grantmac said..
Thoughts on putting a mast track on a higher volume flat rocker wing board?


Should be fine geometrically as long as the foil tracks are not too forward. Not sure if most wing boards are strong enough to handle a mast track though.
Grantmac
Grantmac
2416 posts
2416 posts
15 Sep 2026 5:04am
Strength was definitely a concern. Seems like most foil boards die at the tracks though?
Cornholio
Cornholio
75 posts
75 posts
15 Sep 2026 6:14pm
Maybe a 2023 FOIL X 145 an option?
A mate (heavyweight) of mine has loads of fun on that.
Dude is nimble like a ballerina on that thing.
And after years of intens use no signs of failing.

Please Register, or first...
Topics Subscribe Reply