Help me choose a new SAB front wing

Sunday
Reply
Register to post, see what you've read, and subscribe to topics.
NS320
NS320
63 posts
63 posts
27 Sep 2026 8:32pm
I have a SAB 940 front wing (1100 area, T8 connection to fuselage). I would like to get something smaller for higher wind - 15/16 knots and higher. My favorite type of windfoiling is downwinding in swells. I have looked at the SAB website but it is a bit overwhelming with all the choices. Any suggestions?
sailortrash
sailortrash
29 posts
29 posts
27 Sep 2026 11:30pm
The balz pro works well, both 909 and 969 depending on how fast a wing u need
the razor use another fuse but is very popular for that purpose
thedoor
thedoor
2538 posts
2538 posts
28 Sep 2026 1:29am
Hard to go wrong with 909. Razor might be faster but unless you are riding macking ground swells, I don't think you need the speed of the razor. Also the 909 has an excellent low end for a quickish foil
Grantmac
Grantmac
2416 posts
2416 posts
28 Sep 2026 7:51am
909 and consider whether you want to try one of the flat tails if you aren't already.
NS320
NS320
63 posts
63 posts
28 Sep 2026 5:53pm
Grantmac said..
909 and consider whether you want to try one of the flat tails if you aren't already.


My 940 is 1100cm. The 909 is 1000. Will I see a big performance difference?
Roy
Roy
VIC
158 posts
Roy Roy
VIC, 158 posts
28 Sep 2026 8:23pm
I have used the Medusa Pro 869 for the last 2 years as a one foil quiver.
However, recently I have been using the Balz 808. The 808 has slightly less low end lift but has a higher top end speed and is less nervous when you are maxing it.
The Sabfoil website has a compare feature where you can compare different foils - unfortunately the 940 is not longer listed but you can compare the current range.
Grantmac
Grantmac
2416 posts
2416 posts
28 Sep 2026 7:20pm
If you look at how much less volume the Balz series have for their area that gives you an idea of how much thinner they are. The root is the same thickness but the tips are far thinner and it's notably faster without being a difficult foil to use.
NS320
NS320
63 posts
63 posts
29 Sep 2026 1:31am
Roy said..
I have used the Medusa Pro 869 for the last 2 years as a one foil quiver.
However, recently I have been using the Balz 808. The 808 has slightly less low end lift but has a higher top end speed and is less nervous when you are maxing it.
The Sabfoil website has a compare feature where you can compare different foils - unfortunately the 940 is not longer listed but you can compare the current range.


What size sails are you using with the 808 and what wind strength?
sailortrash
sailortrash
29 posts
29 posts
29 Sep 2026 1:08pm
NS320 said..

Grantmac said..
909 and consider whether you want to try one of the flat tails if you aren't already.



My 940 is 1100cm. The 909 is 1000. Will I see a big performance difference?


The balz pro series has less camber than most other freeride/wave wings, and less angle of attack vs the water. Makes them very nice for windsurfing, a blend of the surf carve, easy of use and decent low end, but the low resistance and low pitchiness if slalom wings. So despite similar size, i bet u will notice a huge difference
Roy
Roy
VIC
158 posts
Roy Roy
VIC, 158 posts
29 Sep 2026 10:14pm
NS320 said..

Roy said..
I have used the Medusa Pro 869 for the last 2 years as a one foil quiver.
However, recently I have been using the Balz 808. The 808 has slightly less low end lift but has a higher top end speed and is less nervous when you are maxing it.
The Sabfoil website has a compare feature where you can compare different foils - unfortunately the 940 is not longer listed but you can compare the current range.



What size sails are you using with the 808 and what wind strength?


It's always hard to answer because everyone's idea windspeed seems to be different, but so far I have used:
4.7m 19 - 22knots
4.2m, 21 - 25kts
3.7m, 23 - 30kts
That's based on wind readings on seabreeze.
Hess
Hess
329 posts
329 posts
30 Sep 2026 1:59am
Transferred form the 940 to the 835(the smaller Onda) then moved to the 808 as my most used front wing. Also reducing stabalizers size as I went along. I actually use the 707 when its windy and go back to the 835 very light wind days.
The progression probably covered about 2 years but I foil around 100 days a year. I found the transition easier than I thought and within a few sessions I always felt pretty comfortable while enjoying the advantages of a foil that was a little faster and a lot more fun to turn. What is interesting is before I got each smaller foil I used the "old" foil in all wind conditions [I did not know better] but when I got the new smaller foil I would use it in lower winds unless the wind was too light to get going on my 4.4m then would grab a bigger foil and often a bigger sail.

I am 85kg and use the 808 on my 100L board when the GUSTS are around the following. I prefer to have a sail sized so I can waterstart in the gusts and of course once on foil you don't need much wind. That is one thing I like about the smaller foils is you are moving faster creating more apparent wind and can foil through lulls easier. So as long as you can get going in the gusts the wind minimum seems to be lower.
Using Goya Chyphers (I wound add around a sail size if on wave sails)
4.4m - 15mph
3.8m - 25mph
3.4m - 30/35mph
3.0m sailworks retro 35/45 mph not a freestyle sail

Long answer but hope it helps.
What I love best is riding waves/swells 90 degrees to the wind down the line with power in the sail. Also have a blast downwinding on swells but again powered up. The 808 is fun to carve and I use the 370 or 325 stab on a custom 800 fuse
Not sure if you downwind with the sail flagged
Please Register, or first...
Topics Subscribe Reply