Smaller faster frontfoil instead of PTM926 or use smaller stabilizers.

A week ago
Reply
Register to post, see what you've read, and subscribe to topics.
YellowHelmet
YellowHelmet
127 posts
127 posts
26 Sep 2026 3:17am
I’m using a Slingshot Wizard 114 liter with W103 mast and PTM926 (about 1200 cm2) and the 400 stabilizer, which I like.

This summer on holiday I rented a windfoilboard with a smaller frontwing a Duotone Aero Free 1000 cm², aspect ratio 6,8 which I liked for going a bit faster.

Changing frontfoil and/or stabilizer is much faster than rigging a new smaller sail when the wind picks up and also boosts the speed.

Although I like the PTM926 I was thinking going smaller to Sabfoil 909 (about 1000 cm²) or even Sabfoil 808 (around 800 cm).

On the other hand I have the 3 smaller stabilizers of Slingshot I have not really used.

I was asking myself would the 360, 340 and/or 325 stabilizer have about the same effect on a 1250 cm2 frontfoil as a 1000 cm2 of 800 cm2, or is this quite different.

I was told much experimenting is possible with stabilizers.

I guess I’m a bit lazy for changing gear, especially on sea where it takes me a half an hour to get through the shore break.

Any thoughts ?
Mr Keen
Mr Keen
QLD
697 posts
QLD, 697 posts
26 Sep 2026 8:32am
I use the Sabfoil 909 in all conditions 5.2-3.3 sails. Plenty fast enough snd great low end
Paducah
Paducah
2876 posts
2876 posts
26 Sep 2026 6:49am
From a physics perspective, reducing 200-300cm2 on a wing is going to be bigger change in over all drag than reducing 50 from the stab. Also, smaller wings tend to be thinner in profile and higher aspect, reducing drag as well as having lower surface area. Reducing stab size while reducing drag is as much about reducing the stability that a larger stab provides, making the foiler "looser" or able to change attitude or direction more quickly, something a more experienced rider might desire.

As your skills increase, especially your ability to pump off the water and make light wind jibes, you'll find yourself needing less and less the safety margin a larger area wing provides. Or, you may not. Depends on what ride characteristics you are chasing.
aeroegnr
aeroegnr
1784 posts
1784 posts
26 Sep 2026 7:51am
I stopped using the 400 rear and only sail with the vee tail with no winglets, forget what number that is, but that's with to the 926. Makes it feel a lot better and more controllable in small swells vs the 400 ehich had way too much power and sent me out of the water too easily. Not sure if there was a huge difference in top end.


I've run a smaller phantasm front, forget the number, but wasn't super into the higher takeoff speed required. Could jibe it but it would stall a lot more dramatically.

no experience with sab so can't compare.

This is on the slingshot 115 freestyle.
jstone1
jstone1
49 posts
49 posts
26 Sep 2026 3:24pm
Same as Mr Keen, 909 all the way (and 370 flat stab). 2.9m to 5.2m, 12 to 30+ kts, amazing range. I don't bother tweaking shims or anything really anymore.
utcminusfour
utcminusfour
826 posts
826 posts
26 Sep 2026 8:53pm
I have a wing surfing friend who just taught me something interesting, he was working on speed. He said he figured you want a smaller stab to go faster but heard a podcast (progression I think) that said that if you decrease the front wing size but use a larger stab you get a overall drag reduction but you have more stability, more relative stability, and therefore you can push harder. He managed to gain a few knots the first time he tried it.
WsurfAustin
WsurfAustin
663 posts
663 posts
4 Oct 2026 12:06am
I run the sab 769 medusa and ss vtail exclusively . I’ve tried the 340 and 325 tails, but they were too pitchy for me. The v tail is very stable and likes high speed carving. My max speed is 24. 2 knots which is fine for me.


rider:150 lbs
mast SS 103W
Sails:
North crossover 4.7, wind 16-20 knot.
goya fringe 3. 7, wind 18-25 knots
goya fringe 3.0 wind 23-35 knots.
Please Register, or first...
Topics Subscribe Reply