Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Starboard 2000 Supercruiser

Created by seanhogan Wednesday, 10 Jul 2019
seanhogan
3044 posts
Wednesday , 10 Jul 2019 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

g'day !

Got lucky and scored a 2000 set to try today.
Same set up as the 1700 supercruiser but with the 2000 surf wing and on a 95 carbon mast.

yes.... I know.... was in such a hurry I bolted the blessed thing upside down.

the large wing is feather light (foam core). Stab is adjustable, left it in neutral position.

On the water :
tried it 12 knts with my 7.0 OD, like the 1700 instant take off, I watched my gps while getting going, lifted at 7knts.
Max speed 15.50 but so easily, could do it with one hand on the boom....
Carving up and down the bay was the best ! There is no way you can get it to breach and tight turns don't transform in nose dives !
Tries a couple short downwinders, same result as with the 1700, except with a lower minimum speed, kept it flying at 6.50 knots

Had the wing on the first two holes to get better lift, will try later on with the rear setting.

Jibing is different at low speed (I didn't nail one...but I don"t nail many either on the race ... ) and you can't afford touching the water sideways or else the wing just throws you inside.

All in all a great light wind weapon, can't wait to try it in less wind.
A must for beginners or wave riders ! Not sure I'll buy it unless I can find another mast ! (spoilt brat !)

Boston!
NSW, 68 posts
Wednesday , 10 Jul 2019 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Great review again, Sean. "There is no way you can get it to breach" Really?

seanhogan
3044 posts
Wednesday , 10 Jul 2019 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks !
LOL unless jumping it !!
Honestly I let it rise up and up and when it started making that familiar sound ( you know the one that usually tells you you're in trouble) it came down nicely on its own

Boston!
NSW, 68 posts
Wednesday , 10 Jul 2019 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
Thanks !
LOL unless jumping it !!
Honestly I let it rise up and up and when it started making that familiar sound ( you know the one that usually tells you you're in trouble) it came down nicely on its own

The ABS of foiling! Sounds like I need one! I guess when it happens at 15kts of board speed its easier to pick.

BSN101
WA, 1619 posts
Wednesday , 10 Jul 2019 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Are these available in WA? Does the SuperCruiser bolt onto the SB GT range of fuselages?
Cheers

Swindy
WA, 280 posts
Wednesday , 10 Jul 2019 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..
Are these available in WA? Does the SuperCruiser bolt onto the SB GT range of fuselages?
Cheers

No, I believe they go on the wave foil fuse. Also stab will be different but i believe the masts are compatible.
Atm you would have to order one from revolution to receive in october I think.

Paducah
392 posts
Thursday , 11 Jul 2019 12:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Boston! said..

seanhogan said..
Thanks !
LOL unless jumping it !!

The ABS of foiling! Sounds like I need one! I guess when it happens at 15kts of board speed its easier to pick.

A thought (I very well could be wrong) It also may be simply the shear size of the wing - it offers a lot more resistance to falling after a stall than a smaller wing. I noticed this effect when I first got my Horue XLW vs LW. The LW would simply fall in at low speeds while the XLW would mush in. It was a noticeable difference and at that point in the learning curve, a valuable behaviour. The XLW is only 1000cm2 so I'd expect an even bigger effect from a 1700cm2 wing.

seanhogan
3044 posts
Sunday , 14 Jul 2019 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

part 2

tried the same set up the next day but this time with a 4.6 no cam sail. (same wind conditions)
A tad more pumping required to fly, but what a pleasure once up and going !! Spent most of the time just holding the boom with the front hand and cruising around
1 knot slower than with the 7.0

No way I could use the rear straps with that sail.
Still went upwind like crazy but with the board sailing flat !
Would work better with the mast base further back but I use the 2 bolt plate so can't go all the way back.....

Interesting set up, have to try it on a narrower board!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Starboard 2000 Supercruiser" started by seanhogan