Starboard Ucs durability

1 month ago
Reply
Register to post, see what you've read, and subscribe to topics.
Mikk0
Mikk0
WA
7 posts
WA, 7 posts
18 Aug 2026 12:27am
Has anyone else experienced Ucs mast breakage? I lost fuse and wings because of mast breaking down .I didn't hit anything and I only did around 2000km with the setup. It saw some mildly rough seas and I was occasionally practising jumping, but not often. Older masts have survived many more kilometres and even hits with rocks.

I'm wondering if it is best to stick with the old masts and use hybrid fuselages...
FormuIa
FormuIa
119 posts
119 posts
18 Aug 2026 12:50am
That's a bummer and an expensive one :( Where did it break, presumably at the very end near the fuse connection?
Mikk0
Mikk0
WA
7 posts
WA, 7 posts
18 Aug 2026 1:16am
Yes, the "block" with threads for fuse connection got torn apart. I was doing sharpish turns downwind and suddenly lost lift. As a newbie I'm unable to post pictures, but there is a youtube shorts video with name "Starboard Ucs mast issue"

This really hurts financially, but I have liked the ucs front and rearwings a lot. Shame if the rest of the system is not the same quality. Of course I might have just been unlucky
Cornholio
Cornholio
75 posts
75 posts
18 Aug 2026 1:19am
Just for info.
what type of mast?
carbon or alu?
Plate or deep tuttle?
and where did it fail?
Mikk0
Mikk0
WA
7 posts
WA, 7 posts
18 Aug 2026 1:28am
Carbon c600 deep tuttle and it had the 99 fuse with slx765 and 180 in place while the issue occurred. I have mainly used 160 tail, but I was testing the 180 for the first time
Cornholio
Cornholio
75 posts
75 posts
18 Aug 2026 1:37am

Oof auch!
just seen the video you refered to.
i’m happy i chose the alu mast (mainly because it doesnt justify the extra $$$ for my use )
i did have an issue with my frontwing starting to crack.
i luckely spotted the issue before hadding out.
since my foil was less than a year old it was replaced by starboard distributor within a week.
The new wing sadly had an issue too.
the holes for mounting the frontwing had huge burrs.
these prefented the wing to make a solid connection with the fuse.
i also spotted this before hadding out and removed the burrs as good as possible.
i still feel its necesary to check the foil each time i go windfoiling.

i hope starboard can be of service for you.







WillyWind
WillyWind
601 posts
601 posts
18 Aug 2026 8:21am




Cornholio, is your wing developing a hair crack or it’s just the picture?



Cornholio
Cornholio
75 posts
75 posts
18 Aug 2026 12:44pm
WillyWind said..




Cornholio, is your wing developing a hair crack or it’s just the picture?





There were hairline cracks on both sides. This front wing was replaced within a week under warranty by the starboard distributor here in the Netherlands. So in itself I am happy with the service. And I hope this was just a single production error. I do feel compelled to check the front wing before I go out on the water. But I don't want to think about something similar happening to me like Mikk0.





Mikk0
Mikk0
WA
7 posts
WA, 7 posts
18 Aug 2026 1:26pm
I did some longer runs behind ships (not in close proximity) with the same mast some time ago. Ships propeller stream sometimes help with lift and speed, but it is really shaking everything. Maybe the vibrations were too much for the mast. I don't know
Cornholio
Cornholio
75 posts
75 posts
18 Aug 2026 3:47pm
Mikk0 said..
I did some longer runs behind ships (not in close proximity) with the same mast some time ago. Ships propeller stream sometimes help with lift and speed, but it is really shaking everything. Maybe the vibrations were too much for the mast. I don't know


Ships propeller stream sometimes help with lift and speed?
🤔never heard that before.
But propeller stream does shake things up indeed. i always try to avoid it.
Nevertheless, i don't think it should cause a breaking mast since these masts are used for racing, with huge forces that come with it.

Mikk0
Mikk0
WA
7 posts
WA, 7 posts
18 Aug 2026 4:02pm
Propeller streams certainly wont help when powered up, quite the opposite. But when the wind drops there can be a marginal gain
WillyWind
WillyWind
601 posts
601 posts
19 Aug 2026 3:30am
Cornholio said..

WillyWind said..




Cornholio, is your wing developing a hair crack or it’s just the picture?






There were hairline cracks on both sides. This front wing was replaced within a week under warranty by the starboard distributor here in the Netherlands. So in itself I am happy with the service. And I hope this was just a single production error. I do feel compelled to check the front wing before I go out on the water. But I don't want to think about something similar happening to me like Mikk0.




Oh, I see; this was the old one. I thought it was the replacement!
FormuIa
FormuIa
119 posts
119 posts
19 Aug 2026 5:36pm
Damn, both of these cases look terrible, especially the mast, holy ****. I've been a huge Starboard fan for years, but this got me seriously second-guessing upgrading my foil to the UCS platform. My old SB 1000 1st gen is bulletproof, and I never worry about anything cracking or coming loose (despite double-checking bolt tension occasionally).

Unsure if a marginal ultra-light wind performance gain is worth the stress. Even if they offer great support, what happens if the components are over 2 years old and there's no warranty left? That's an expensive bullet to bite.
Mikk0
Mikk0
WA
7 posts
WA, 7 posts
19 Aug 2026 6:08pm
I have also used Starboard foils for years and have exactly the same experience as Formula. They have been bulletproof! After the Evolution series I didnt like the Slr wings at all, but the Slx design is a huge step forward. Really nice wings and fun to ride. I'm a bit sad if the good old mast and fuse got worse with the ucs, but I still hope this was just one case and hopefully the problem Cornholio had is also nothing common.
FormuIa
FormuIa
119 posts
119 posts
20 Aug 2026 3:57am
One of my friends had the 2nd gen, evolution, and his C400 1000 wing broke off from the fuselage. Might be an one-off, but still ... the 1st gen holds up incredibly well.

I wouldn't expect the mast can snap like that, especially since this connection is supposed to be the stronger part of the setup.
Mark _australia
Mark _australia
WA
23805 posts
WA, 23805 posts
20 Aug 2026 5:50pm
We’ve been building this stuff long enough that such things should not happen. Go warranty
Mushin
Mushin
34 posts
34 posts
12 Sep 2026 5:27pm
What the hell? I just bought 2 ucs system wings, 99 fuse and the C400 mast new. The components look used compared to the new stuff I got from Alpinefoil previous years.
Reading that a mast broke just like that certainly gives me a scare! Stuff like this just makes you seriously question the production quality.
I had my Alpinefoil mast for 8 years already and there are no issues with it... even if I pump quite a lot and sometimes vigorously, crashed many times no issues (fairly low speed 20-30kmh) , even hit rocks where I did not expect them once scratched the wing hard, no problem with the mast.

The lower tier C400 masts should be stronger than C600+ in theory right?
Please Register, or first...
Topics Subscribe Reply