Forums > Windsurfing General

Bombora Brochure 1987

Created by sailquik > 9 months ago, 13 Jun 2019
sailquik
VIC, 6068 posts
13 Jun 2019 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

It's harder to get nice scans from these as the pictures cross two pages. But here goes:

sailquik
VIC, 6068 posts
13 Jun 2019 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

i didnt own many of these myself, but many of my friends did. I recon I sailed just about all of them at one time or another. And some later models.

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
13 Jun 2019 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks. Only ever sailed the Bombora Tri Fin, New Toy and Proto. I owned the New Toy and a Proto. Thanks for the post. This brochure is extremely rare or at least never is seen anywhere. Excellent post. My collection of old boards still includes the Astro-Toy, X-it and Zot all with stronger aluminium finbox. I also have 3 x Strapper custom Tom Luedecke World Cup Slaloms including a "mini custom X-it" style board which is 8'10". Here are competition results featuring the 1991-92 Bombora Zot:

sailquik
VIC, 6068 posts
13 Jun 2019 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

Back in about 1990-91, when the Sandy Point Sailboard Club held their annual 'High Wind Carnival', we recieved on loan, a couple of Zots from Bombora for a one design speed challenge. A few sailors did sail them down the course, but not on the strong wind days. We should have anticipated this because, of course, everyone just wanted to get as many runs as possible on their own fastest gear on the good windy days.

For a rotomoulded plastic board, it was actually pretty nice to sail, and reasonably quick. . But that was when everyone was getting Epoxy fever, so they didnt seem to have the succes of Bombora's earlier models.

sailquik
VIC, 6068 posts
13 Jun 2019 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 1988 Bombora Brochure as well, but that wil have to wait for another post.

Edit. I found a TC brochure as well, and a few others.

h20
VIC, 456 posts
13 Jun 2019 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Great flashbacks and great memories. We also had a TC runner as our first board. Thanks sailquik.

aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
14 Jun 2019 7:42AM
Thumbs Up

Where is Mark Paul these days , the bombora protos where made at kempsey by Alf Jefferies , over the time we had so many boards made by him and they where really good wave boards and the Graphics where awesome so much fun in those days just wave sailing .

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
14 Jun 2019 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aussieboats said..
Where is Mark Paul these days , the bombora protos where made at kempsey by Alf Jefferies , over the time we had so many boards made by him and they where really good wave boards and the Graphics where awesome so much fun in those days just wave sailing .

greenwall.com.au/ex-parrot/

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
14 Jun 2019 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
I have a 1988 Bombora Brochure as well, but that wil have to wait for another post.

I unfortunately don't have the brochure but I do still have my 86 South Pacific

ka43
NSW, 3062 posts
14 Jun 2019 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Still remember the Sailboards Australia factory going all night popping out boards.
Classic shots of Mark, Sarah & Rohan!!

azymuth
WA, 1962 posts
14 Jun 2019 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aussieboats said..

Heard from Mark end of last year - he's still in Sydney, still windsurfing and lately foiling.
He was on his way to Maui with his 17-year-old son, staying with North/Duotone sail designer Kai Hopf who used to sail Long Reef with us in the early 80's

sailquik
VIC, 6068 posts
14 Jun 2019 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ka43 said..
Still remember the Sailboards Australia factory going all night popping out boards.
Classic shots of Mark, Sarah & Rohan!!

Hay Larko. I thought one of those cool dudes in the brochure might have been you!

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
15 Jun 2019 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

That brochure includes at least in the sailing the 3 Bruces- Bruce Kendall, Bruce Wylie and Rohan Cudmore (Bruce III Ro). Bruce Wylie attributes at least in part his business success today to the training and groundwork he received in business while at Sailboards Australia and Bombora. Bruce Wylie is one of the key designers behind the new Windsurfer LT.

www.cobrainter.com/files/6015/4866/6309/Cobra-40YearsBook-56-59.pdf

remery
WA, 1885 posts
15 Jun 2019 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

I had a New Toy for a short while then swapped it for a fiberglass custom New Toy, it didn't turn very well but man it could smack off the lip when jumping.

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
19 Jun 2019 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty O'Connor sailing a Bombora Proto in a Neil Pryde Freesail advertisement published in September/October 1983. Was this a shape by Terry Fitzgerald (the Sultan of Speed) and shaped out of the "Hot Buttered" factory using the Mark Paul/ Bombora templates? I ask this as I understand Scotty sailed and was sponsored by Hot Buttered boards, yet strangely here he is sailing a Bombora Proto.

Adriano
11206 posts
19 Jun 2019 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

The year I took up windsurfing at age 12! I have the brochure somewhere - and I owned the Big Toy as my first board.

Took it out at Clontarf in a southerly after sailing a few times and ripped the mast track out in a huge rig slam.

Got replaced by the John Hall 340 and quickly thereafter with a glass 'wave/slalom' thing from Mikey in Kiama.

Thanks for the post Daffy.

Chris249
357 posts
20 Jun 2019 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aussieboats said..

About a fortnight ago I was in a camping shop in Kempsey's main street when a guy who saw my Windsurfer LT hat or shirt said he used to build waveboards. He didn't say too much about them and I didn't stop to have much of a chat; I wonder if it was him?

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
20 Jun 2019 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris249 said..About a fortnight ago I was in a camping shop in Kempsey's main street when a guy who saw my Windsurfer LT hat or shirt said he used to build waveboards. He didn't say too much about them and I didn't stop to have much of a chat; I wonder if it was him?

aussieboats said..

About a fortnight ago I was in a camping shop in Kempsey's main street when a guy who saw my Windsurfer LT hat or shirt said he used to build waveboards. He didn't say too much about them and I didn't stop to have much of a chat; I wonder if it was him?

Possibly but without more to go on it is speculation. To explain given Crescent Head is 20 minutes away many shapers could reside around there who may have been involved in the windsurfing industry. Shapers will have had assistants and people who worked with them as well ghost shaping or assisting in glassing and layup. For example it could have been an assistant of any of Alf Jefferies, Bob Cooper, Mike Maguire, Warren Cornish, Bob McTavish or another.

www.macleayargus.com.au/story/4018994/kempsey-a-surfers-paradise/

delmar71
NSW, 68 posts
21 Jun 2019 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Oh man thanks for posting this. As a mid to late teenager I obsessed over this very brochure. Had the exact sail on page two. South pac was my first 'performance' board after a Wally. Then Xit, Zot, brother had a tri fin. So much plastic! But to me it was all awesome. Great memories!

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
21 Jun 2019 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
delmar71 said..
Oh man thanks for posting this. As a mid to late teenager I obsessed over this very brochure. Had the exact sail on page two. South pac was my first 'performance' board after a Wally. Then Xit, Zot, brother had a tri fin. So much plastic! But to me it was all awesome. Great memories!

Thanks Sailquik. Looking forward to the 1988 brochure. That is I think, the year of new graphics, aluminium fin boxes, improved fittings and some exotic pro construction PCB slalom and raceboards.

hargs
QLD, 634 posts
22 Jun 2019 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said..

sailquik said..

I unfortunately don't have the brochure but I do still have my 86 South Pacific

I had a yellow South Pacific Snags but the later model with the mast track, also had an Astro Toy!

used2surf
WA, 47 posts
22 Jun 2019 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
14 Nov 2019 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Sailquik. Looking forward to the 1988 brochure. That is I think, the year of new graphics, aluminium fin boxes, improved fittings and some exotic pro construction PCB slalom and raceboards. Please post if you have time, much appreciated and many thanks in advance.

oldmic
NSW, 343 posts
15 Nov 2019 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

I had the New Toy in '83. Worked building Hamilton Island super tough board used leave it stashed in the bush.
snapped rope universal many times between Hamilton and Dent (pretended it was Columbia Gorge because the NE would be stronger between the Islands)
big Flexi fin, wide tail, back then at 8' radical as, f*&$ loved that board

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
15 Nov 2019 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
used2surf said..

Geeezz..now i am felling OLD ... sailed that place a lot way back when and yes with that gear
This thread really is a trip down memory lane
@Sailquik....the Bombora gear ..I remember drooling over that brochure trying to work out how my part time job at KFC could pay for it :)

alvadave
QLD, 70 posts
15 Nov 2019 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
15 Nov 2019 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
16 Nov 2019 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Pretty sure that I had a New Toy in 1983 it seems surprising that it's still there in the brochure in 1987. That probably reflects my millenium expectation that a windsurf range needs to be reinvented everyone year ( regardless of actual improvements.)
Intresting that the New Toy was 58 wide which is similar to my current wave board .

P.C_simpson
NSW, 1489 posts
16 Nov 2019 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

This one even has a Severne boomerang logo and kangaroos that's pretty aussie.

Chris 249
NSW, 3215 posts
16 Nov 2019 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

Tri Fin! New Toy! Those were high tech compared to my first Bombora - the mighty Chopper, aka the original. It was just a Windsurfer with the nose bent up with heat, footstraps, and the back couple of feet cut off. The original Windsurfers were around 21kg so it would have been close to 18kg; once it got takeoff attitude it seemed to keep going way better than I could!

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
16 Nov 2019 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

These are examples of Bombora Windsurfer Choppers as well as a few custom Bombora boards from around 1978 -79 see Mark Paul deep in the pit below in 1980 on his custom. I suspect that the red board with the Klege-cell branding on the sail is a Mike Maguire Bombora custom. This is not a brochure.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Bombora Brochure 1987" started by sailquik