Forums > Windsurfing General

Bombora Brochure 1987

Created by sailquik Thursday, 13 Jun 2019
sailquik
VIC, 4626 posts
Thursday , 13 Jun 2019 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

It's harder to get nice scans from these as the pictures cross two pages. But here goes:

sailquik
VIC, 4626 posts
Thursday , 13 Jun 2019 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

i didnt own many of these myself, but many of my friends did. I recon I sailed just about all of them at one time or another. And some later models.

RichardG
WA, 2572 posts
Thursday , 13 Jun 2019 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks. Only ever sailed the Bombora Tri Fin, New Toy and Proto. I owned the New Toy and a Proto. Thanks for the post. This brochure is extremely rare or at least never is seen anywhere. Excellent post. My collection of old boards still includes the Astro-Toy, X-it and Zot all with stronger aluminium finbox. I also have 3 x Strapper custom Tom Luedecke World Cup Slaloms including a "mini custom X-it" style board which is 8'10". Here are competition results featuring the 1991-92 Bombora Zot:

sailquik
VIC, 4626 posts
Thursday , 13 Jun 2019 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

Back in about 1990-91, when the Sandy Point Sailboard Club held their annual 'High Wind Carnival', we recieved on loan, a couple of Zots from Bombora for a one design speed challenge. A few sailors did sail them down the course, but not on the strong wind days. We should have anticipated this because, of course, everyone just wanted to get as many runs as possible on their own fastest gear on the good windy days.

For a rotomoulded plastic board, it was actually pretty nice to sail, and reasonably quick. . But that was when everyone was getting Epoxy fever, so they didnt seem to have the succes of Bombora's earlier models.

sailquik
VIC, 4626 posts
Thursday , 13 Jun 2019 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 1988 Bombora Brochure as well, but that wil have to wait for another post.

Edit. I found a TC brochure as well, and a few others.

h20
VIC, 421 posts
Thursday , 13 Jun 2019 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Great flashbacks and great memories. We also had a TC runner as our first board. Thanks sailquik.

aussieboats
NSW, 258 posts
Friday , 14 Jun 2019 7:42AM
Thumbs Up

Where is Mark Paul these days , the bombora protos where made at kempsey by Alf Jefferies , over the time we had so many boards made by him and they where really good wave boards and the Graphics where awesome so much fun in those days just wave sailing .

sausage
QLD, 4796 posts
Friday , 14 Jun 2019 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aussieboats said..
Where is Mark Paul these days , the bombora protos where made at kempsey by Alf Jefferies , over the time we had so many boards made by him and they where really good wave boards and the Graphics where awesome so much fun in those days just wave sailing .

greenwall.com.au/ex-parrot/

sausage
QLD, 4796 posts
Friday , 14 Jun 2019 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
I have a 1988 Bombora Brochure as well, but that wil have to wait for another post.

Edit. I found a TC brochure as well, and a few others.

I unfortunately don't have the brochure but I do still have my 86 South Pacific

ka43
NSW, 2835 posts
Friday , 14 Jun 2019 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Still remember the Sailboards Australia factory going all night popping out boards.
Classic shots of Mark, Sarah & Rohan!!

azymuth
WA, 628 posts
Friday , 14 Jun 2019 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aussieboats said..

Heard from Mark end of last year - he's still in Sydney, still windsurfing and lately foiling.
He was on his way to Maui with his 17-year-old son, staying with North/Duotone sail designer Kai Hopf who used to sail Long Reef with us in the early 80's

sailquik
VIC, 4626 posts
Friday , 14 Jun 2019 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ka43 said..
Still remember the Sailboards Australia factory going all night popping out boards.
Classic shots of Mark, Sarah & Rohan!!

Hay Larko. I thought one of those cool dudes in the brochure might have been you!

RichardG
WA, 2572 posts
Saturday , 15 Jun 2019 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

That brochure includes at least in the sailing the 3 Bruces- Bruce Kendall, Bruce Wylie and Rohan Cudmore (Bruce III Ro). Bruce Wylie attributes at least in part his business success today to the training and groundwork he received in business while at Sailboards Australia and Bombora. Bruce Wylie is one of the key designers behind the new Windsurfer LT.

www.cobrainter.com/files/6015/4866/6309/Cobra-40YearsBook-56-59.pdf

remery
WA, 377 posts
Saturday , 15 Jun 2019 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

I had a New Toy for a short while then swapped it for a fiberglass custom New Toy, it didn't turn very well but man it could smack off the lip when jumping.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Bombora Brochure 1987" started by sailquik