Forums > Windsurfing General

Fraser Island

Created by Krusty > 9 months ago, 5 May 2008
Krusty
NSW, 428 posts
5 May 2008 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Thinking about heading up to Fraser island this winter and was wondering if it was worth taking a board and sail there?? Also is there much surf there and are there any good breaks on the island? Will go some time between late june and end of july.

Gestalt
QLD, 12082 posts
5 May 2008 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

good chance of getting in a surf krusty.

thought i might also add as a former sunshine coast resident and someone who travelled to fraser every easter for nearly 10 years.

i would never ever, under any circumstances go in the water at fraser isalnd.

of course. there are lots that dissagree with this view.

greenleader
QLD, 5214 posts
6 May 2008 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

ummm, if you are a windsurfer then you must take your kit where ever you go krusty.

unless you can't be bvggered!

potential for a classic windy day at fraser........priceless.

take your stuff regardless, if you don't get to use it too bad, it's your right as a windsurfer.

Crash Landing
NSW, 1173 posts
6 May 2008 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Seeing the sharks swiming around India Head would put me off...

It was however 25 knots on the inland lakes and looked good - however being freshwater you may want a bigger freestyle board!

Krusty
NSW, 428 posts
6 May 2008 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

I've had many reports along the lines of it being very sharky up there but i guess that the sharks would be well fed on all the fish and english back packers, so they shouldnt hassle me too much.

You're right greenleader I will have to take my kit no matter what, If i dont it'll definately blow!!

Crash Landing
NSW, 1173 posts
6 May 2008 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Just make sure you drive better than you did in Tazzy.[}:)]

Nikita
QLD, 67 posts
6 May 2008 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

I'm going to Fraser this weekend. I've also heard that there're heaps of sharks there. But maybe I can go in one of the fresh water lakes? How far inland are the lakes?

I think I'll only take my gear if it's a 90% chance that it's going to be windy (17+knots) as room for gear in the car will be tight.

What about Inskip point/Rainbow Beach/Double island point? Is there heaps of sharks there as well? I want to have a go in the surf.

Befree001
QLD, 82 posts
6 May 2008 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

I have swum in the surf at Fraser but never ventured to far out as I have seen the sharks come in very close to the shore. My father has photos where the sharks were doing circuits/loops along the gutters. They will come into knee deep water if they have to. Its kinda disturbing when you've been fishing on the sand bank to then have to walk back through a waist deep gutter.

Most of the lakes have a bit of a walk from the carpark to the lake shore, not sure whether its worth carrying the gear that far, the only one which is very close is Ocean lake but that is north of Orchid Beach - admittedly you don't get many backpackers up that far as most of them aren't allowed to take the hire cars past Indian Head which is why a lot of them walk up the Middle Rocks to see the Champayne Pools

At least if you do go on the lakes you won't have to wash your gear afterwards

Mobydisc
NSW, 8578 posts
7 May 2008 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

I feel drawn to northern Queensland as the colder weather with light variable winds start to become the standard weather down in Sydney.

Can I ask a couple questions as I have never been past Noosa or Eumindi in my travels. Are there reasonable caravan parks on good locations as you head further north? I'd like to do a camping trip with my van and a sock tent attached to the back when I camp. Are you allowed to have a campfire?

Whats the price of diesel up there. Its around $1.60 to $1.70 a litre in Sydney now.

I really want a windsurfing holiday somewhere warm and windy. I need time on the water to make up for the lack of wind in Sydney. We had a snowboarding trip to Japan a few months ago. It was fun but windsurfing is better.

wormy
QLD, 679 posts
7 May 2008 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Mobydisc said...

I feel drawn to northern Queensland as the colder weather with light variable winds start to become the standard weather down in Sydney.

Can I ask a couple questions as I have never been past Noosa or Eumindi in my travels. Are there reasonable caravan parks on good locations as you head further north? I'd like to do a camping trip with my van and a sock tent attached to the back when I camp. Are you allowed to have a campfire?

Whats the price of diesel up there. Its around $1.60 to $1.70 a litre in Sydney now.

I really want a windsurfing holiday somewhere warm and windy. I need time on the water to make up for the lack of wind in Sydney. We had a snowboarding trip to Japan a few months ago. It was fun but windsurfing is better.

June thru august is very busy, the grey nomads flock north to prevent those old bones freezing, most caravan parks are fully booked this time, however most parks also have a overnight section that they don't book to allow for daily drive ins, you will find that most onsite vans/cabins/tent sites will be booked as well, so book early
diesel is around 1.60 today, expect it to be 1.70 before long.
lots of great windsurfing locations, I hardly go for longer than a week without a sail and average 3-4 sessions per weekall year

NotWal
QLD, 6943 posts
7 May 2008 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Mobydisc said...

You'd probably be better off going further north Moby. There's not much wind in the south east this time of year, but the water's nice. Thursday Island looks good. Maybe the central coast will work.
Diesel I don't know but ULPs about 1.35 - 1.40 in Bris. Diesels a bit more.

www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/wind/wrselect.shtml

laff77
NSW, 267 posts
7 May 2008 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

My mate and I windsurfed off Inskip Pt a couple of months back. We had a small free ride board and an old wally. Wind was about 20-25 knots and it was loads of fun. Sailed the wally all the way to the Southern tip of Fraser and was cool fun riding the swell. Didn't see and sharkies, but saw heaps of massive sting rays.

RumChaser
TAS, 600 posts
9 May 2008 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

I live in Tassie now but before that, I lived in Brisbane and spent a lot of time visiting Fraser Island. I've climbed the sanddunes that front the beach and watched the sharks cruising the gutters. Having said that, I've also surfed the shore break in front of our tents and lived to tell the tale. My advice, for what it is worth, is to sail on the inside of the island in Harvey Bay. Good flat water and plenty to see. Trouble is, at this time of year there may not be much consistent wind.

jp747
1548 posts
12 May 2008 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

just so happen to come across this article, looks nice and desolate
everything-everywhere.com/2008/04/27/fraser-island

rubo123
8 posts
12 May 2008 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

fraser is sweet!!!

Subscribe