Forums > Windsurfing General

KA Koncept 2016 settings

Created by poehaaa > 9 months ago, 4 Nov 2019
poehaaa
62 posts
4 Nov 2019 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

I just replaced a 2016 KA Koncept with a 2019 version. I never use the printed settings for the 2016 sail, because they just don't seem to be right. To my surprise this has changed for 2019. The printed settings seem to be spot on. I don't know who provided the input for these new settings, but does this legend also have a list of his 2016 settings that he/she is willing to share? The remaining 2016 sizes in my quiver are the sails I don't use that often, so accurate settings would help me a lot.

Last Saturday I used the lower clew eyelet for the first time. This gave so much control that it almost felt like a sail one size smaller. Great for overpowered conditions when there is no time to rig a smaller sail, but it made me wonder what would be faster: smaller sail with upper clew eyelet or bigger sail with bottom eyelet?

For anyone involved in the R&D for these sails: thanks! Great sails. One of the best freerace sails I have ever had. Race sail stability with enough power for mere mortals. Sails are equally happy to be used for some relaxed light wind cruizing as they are for completely overpowered blasting. The 6.2 2016 Koncept on a Futura 93 is one of my all time favourite combo's for a nice burn&turn session.

mr love
VIC, 2309 posts
5 Nov 2019 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Poehaa........Yep the printed specs on the sails had been BS for a while so we did an audit and now they should be pretty good. You can thank Andrew Daff for helping me out with this on Koncept.
Glad you like the sail. With Koncept we have seen no reason to reinvent it and we just do progressive tweaks each year to refine it. I do always feel we can may it better but its a hard task as it is a very, very good sail.
Tell me what your 2016 sizes are and I will check the CAD files and give you the accurate settings.

poehaaa
62 posts
5 Nov 2019 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

In that case: thanks Mr. Daff! I still own the 5.0/5.4/6.2/6.6/7.0 2016 Koncepts. 5.0/5.4 hardly ever used, but bought them for the Defi Wind that I want to do next year. 6.2 is used a lot, because I love this size. The 6.6 and 7.0 are still in very good condition because of the overlap.
Thanks Mr. Love! Do you use a small sail with the upper clew eyelet or the lower clew eyelet on a bigger sail?

mr love
VIC, 2309 posts
5 Nov 2019 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

OK....I will overlay the files for you and give you the numbers...cant do it today though theres a horse race on.

mr love
VIC, 2309 posts
5 Nov 2019 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

i always go big as I am fat!!! Some of the lighter guys sail smaller on the top eyelet. As soon as I am fully powered I drop to the low eyelet..it is faster, really only use the top eyelet if the wind is marginal.

poehaaa
62 posts
5 Nov 2019 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Mr. Love and enjoy the races!

sailquik
VIC, 6074 posts
5 Nov 2019 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

Here you go.
These are my measurements with some notes at the bottom re masts etc. Settings for SDM masts on the smaller ones should be very close ( within a CM). Later years on the same sizes will be very close and should be correct on the bag/sail. 2019 Koncept speed are different.

poehaaa
62 posts
5 Nov 2019 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

That's a lot of valuable information in one post! Thanks for sharing your knowledge. That's very generous.

mr love
VIC, 2309 posts
6 Nov 2019 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Andrew!!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"KA Koncept 2016 settings" started by poehaaa