Forums > Windsurfing General

Lord Howe Fortnight sailors blown away!

Created by lordhowe > 9 months ago, 13 Aug 2010
lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
13 Aug 2010 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

We're getting into the second week of the fortnight and we've had fantastic conditions over here this winter.

The fortnight started last saturday with a full day of wind - I started in the morning on a 7.2 & 100L board, went down to a 6.7 and finished maxed on a 5.7 at about 5pm. After not sailing for about 4 months I was hurting!

Next day saw light winds so good for SUPing and a cruise on the big board trying to get the sail handling back again.

Monday was a fishing/snorkelling & kayaking day.

Tuesday saw us sailing the offshore Northerly winds in the lagoon. We rigged 3 boards and sails and tied them to moorings and ferried people out in the dinghy. Everyone had a great day on the super flat turquoise water. Wind ended up pumping in at around 30 K by the end of the day.

Wednesday saw winds from the same direction at up to 40K with driving rain which made the whole thing seem not so fun. Everyone was quite happy to sit that one out. However it was definitely sailable.

Thursday saw gusty WNW winds on the lagoon, we were sailing straight out from the shed to the reef. Challenging sailing with winds varying from 15 - 30K. The water was very flat so when you were in the big gusts you could put the pedal to the metal. Another very enjoyable days sailing.

Friday - (today) was epic cross on WSW 25-35K, started the day with a 4.7 & 77L, went to a 4.2, finished on a 4.5. Fantastic sailing out on the reef fully powered up with a text book sandy glassy patch for the downwind gybe - like cutting butter!
Everyone was very proud of themselves and for 2 sailors they sailed the smallest gear & the strongest wind in their windsurfing careers....

Tomorrow brings more SW 20-25K, those Lows just keep on keeping on.
I'll post some photos when I get it together.
Keep sailing.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Lord Howe Fortnight sailors blown away!" started by lordhowe