Forums > Windsurfing General

SE Queensland & NSW advice

Created by Rox > 9 months ago, 5 May 2008
Rox
VIC, 104 posts
5 May 2008 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Gonna be heading down the east coast from SE Queensland to Sydney this August and I am after some local knowledge on wind and locations.

What are your best flat water, bump and jump and moderate surf spots. What gear is best? I have 85lt and 106lt FSW boards and 4.7 thru 6.5 rig, pack it all? or just pack a surf board....

Appreciate any help

Gestalt
QLD, 12082 posts
5 May 2008 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

August is not too bad, but bring everything.

first stop WELLO!

good for SW, W, NW, N

speed in westerly at high tide, all other winds are bump and jump which it is very good for.

next stop NORTH KIRRA!

good for NW, N

cross shore waves in NW wind. better earlier in the day. max head high beach break typically smaller.

Rox
VIC, 104 posts
7 May 2008 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the tip.

I have seen a bit of info on the Windmap webiste for spots around Brisbane including Wello. Are there any other websites or other sources of info?

Oh sh@t as I am writing this my Mrs has just added Australia Zoo to our agenda ....

sausage
QLD, 4800 posts
7 May 2008 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

Rox said...

Thanks for the tip.

Oh sh@t as I am writing this my Mrs has just added Australia Zoo to our agenda ....

The crocodile enclosure has some nice flat water but it could be a bit shallow in parts and there might be an occasional log to steer around.

Say hello to Bindi for me.

dism
NSW, 648 posts
8 May 2008 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Australia Zoo is near Caloundra, i'm sure they have some nice water up that way

South West Rocks is meant to be awesome (dunno what winds but) its down near Port Macquarie area

Mobydisc
NSW, 8584 posts
8 May 2008 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

SW Rocks rocks on all wind directions except for southerlies. Strong nor easters are best as the swell wraps around the point and its great for jumping in the bay and gybing on. Westerlies are great and safe too, as long as you don't go past the point.

I guess you have to look for places that will work on westerly winds as thats what you will get around August. You better take some gear because it will be windy every day if you don't.

Gestalt
QLD, 12082 posts
8 May 2008 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Rox,

hopefully this helps you out.

www.windwanderers.com/Locations.html

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
9 May 2008 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Here are the spots I would check out all the way down the coast.

Wello
the Goldy (Shearwater, Currumbin, North Kirra)
Lennox Head
Woolgoolga - Flat top rock
Nambucca Heads
South West Rocks
Old Bar - towards the coast from Taree
Birubi/Anna Bay
Newcastle - there are a few spots around Newy that are worth a look.
The Entrance

Unfortunatly it is the wrong time of year for some of these spots, Woolgoolga usually gets a few good Southerlys this time of year and works well. Birubi works well in the winter wind directions as well. Apart from Birubi there is a decent chance of not sailing alone at many of these spots if there is decent conditions.

As for gear, I used to travel up and down the coast a lot and most of the time only ever took a 85lt board,sails up to 5.5m and a surfboard. Just depends on how picky you want to be on the conditions you go out in.

This list isn't exhaustive and some good spots can be found if you are willing to expolre, these are just the better known places and the ones I would head for.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"SE Queensland & NSW advice" started by Rox