Forums > Windsurfing General

Speed SR250L Restoration

Created by Dag > 9 months ago, 28 May 2018
Dag
QLD, 720 posts
28 May 2018 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Oooooohh! Getting close now! First coat on. Can't wait to see her with the decal's, grip coat and clear.
She also now has a deep tuttle.
Thank's Peter Nitschke @Wind and Surf.

cammd
QLD, 3467 posts
28 May 2018 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Where's the screw holes for the deep tuttle fin box?

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
28 May 2018 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

Not drilled yet.

olskool
QLD, 2444 posts
28 May 2018 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Lookin good there Dags!! Long time coming mate. Soooo shiny. Great boards for med/high wind RB Rippin.

Gestalt
QLD, 14122 posts
28 May 2018 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like Pete has cleaned up.

grich62
QLD, 662 posts
28 May 2018 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

how much does that board weigh dags, mine is over 20 kg but don't seem to have any water in it.

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
29 May 2018 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Mate, when I got it, I weighed it when there was some talk about it on here.
I can't remember exactly, but it was under 18 kg.
Pete said that he got 17 kg, but I don't know when he weighed it.
Anyway it's a really good one of these to restore so it'll be interesting to see what she weigh's when she's finished.
Justin, I went up a couple of day's and did some work on her.

cammd
QLD, 3467 posts
29 May 2018 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

What type of paint are you using

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
29 May 2018 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

Valspar Industrial two-pack Polyurethane. Was the best available way to match the colour spot on.
I'll have at least 750 ml of part B left over though, so I'll get some white later to do the bottom's on all my other boards.

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
5 Jul 2018 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Aahh, she's a beauty.

FanaticYouth
QLD, 30 posts
5 Jul 2018 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dag board looks great, where did you find the stencils for the Speed logo and decals, the mast track and footstraps? Also did you spray paint? Sorry for all the questions! Just wanna get my speed lookin as good as that!

Cheers Harry

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
5 Jul 2018 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful stick. How much does she weigh ?
PS where did you get the boardbag ? I need one for a raceboard.

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
5 Jul 2018 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

I just weighed her and got 19.4 kg with everything including centreboard. Centreboard is 1.3 kg on it's own.
Hi Harry, I had the graphics copied perfectly by Sign Shop in Caboolture.
The mast track I made by copying the original. The windward straps I got from Simon at Board Crazy (Drake), and the four rear straps I got from Sunshine Coast Board Sports (Uni Fibre).
I did the sanding to get the bulk of the old paint off, which also let us inspect her properly and not gain weight with the new paint.
Peter Nitschke @Wind and Surf Landsborough did a fantastic job of faring and spray painting, putting decals on, grip coat,
and a deep tuttle fin box was also added first.
I sailed her yesterday and loved it, but I should have known. The only thing that I didn't remake was the car in the mast track. It broke into three pieces, but at least I saved all the bit's so I'll copy it and make it out of stronger material. I'm thinking alloy.
Grich62 did warn me that might happen.

cammd
QLD, 3467 posts
5 Jul 2018 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

I hope we are going to see her on a race course

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
5 Jul 2018 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Yep Camm, sure will. I was pretty impressed with how she sails.
Now I have two to race.
When the conditions are like they were at the Cootharaba comp, this one should be great.

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
5 Jul 2018 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..

I got the bag from Simon at Board Crazy. Flying Objects Race SUP. Fit's perfectly with a bit of room spare only at the rear.

olskool
QLD, 2444 posts
6 Jul 2018 2:36AM
Thumbs Up

Dags, your new GF looks hot!!
RichardG, Prolimit 12'6" x 26" SUP RACE fits very well also.

AusMoz
QLD, 1389 posts
6 Jul 2018 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

Nice!!!!

There are other options you can do for the mast track instead of the car without having to do any more work on the track.

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
6 Jul 2018 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Moz, what are your thoughts on the track? I don't want to use another track because I spent a lot of time making this one, and it works better than any other (with a strong enough car that is).
Hey Grich, I just looked back at an old post where you asked what weight should be.
Jeffrey answered 19.4 kg which is exactly what she's ended up at, so considering yours has had some additions, I'd say it's on the money
at 20 kg. I now have incentive to concentrate more on the extra 14 kg's in my mid section before the season starts again..

AusMoz
QLD, 1389 posts
6 Jul 2018 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Just sent a PM

cammd
QLD, 3467 posts
6 Jul 2018 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

What gasket material did you use

grich62
QLD, 662 posts
6 Jul 2018 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dag said..
Hi Moz, what are your thoughts on the track? I don't want to use another track because I spent a lot of time making this one, and it works better than any other (with a strong enough car that is).
Hey Grich, I just looked back at an old post where you asked what weight should be.
Jeffrey answered 19.4 kg which is exactly what she's ended up at, so considering yours has had some additions, I'd say it's on the money
at 20 kg. I now have incentive to concentrate more on the extra 14 kg's in my mid section before the season starts again..

thanks for that,1 vote for the standard track but i changed the car to a thread ,the standard plate can slide to the unlock position and let go of the rig.all i did was remove the car turned it up side down , heated a standard brass mast track nut.up in the barby and melted it in to the car , i used a long bolt to guide the nut into the right position ,works good

azuli
QLD, 333 posts
6 Jul 2018 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Superb job Dags!

To repair the mastrack car, you could get two blocks of nylon and rebate one or use a rectangular spacer then bolt the top and bottom pieces together to form the car assembly allowing it to slide along the track.

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
6 Jul 2018 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Camm, it's the old doubled and sewed dacron trick mate. It was already there.
Azuli, the credit go's to Peter for all the work he put into it. I can only take credit for the mast track. It worked soooo good. I should have re-made the car at the same time.
I'll give you a call Moz. My phones charging ATM, but I've found a piece of stainless the right size. Hard to work, but worth putting the time in. Alloy on alloy will wear too much I think.
Grich, I'll stick to the slide with the new car for the moment, as I don't want the wide base plate on the grip coat. We'll see how long I go without another chance at "I told you so".

Ben1973
908 posts
7 Jul 2018 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

I want it!

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
7 Jul 2018 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dag said..

RichardG said..

I got the bag from Simon at Board Crazy. Flying Objects Race SUP. Fit's perfectly with a bit of room spare only at the rear.

Select to expand quote
olskool said..
Dags, your new GF looks hot!!
RichardG, Prolimit 12'6" x 26" SUP RACE fits very well also.

Thanks Guys, Got the 12'6" x 26" Flying Objects Race SUP from SurfSail Australia in Perth. Excellent assistance and service from both Marco of FO and Mark Taylor of top local SurfSail retailer in Perth. Fits the Mistral IMCO OD perfectly.

Imax1
QLD, 4527 posts
7 Jul 2018 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

^^^
mabee I should treat my imco od
nice bag , how much ?
Ps , what should this board weigh straps , cb and fin ?

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
7 Jul 2018 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Mark at SurfSail will look after you just give him a call. I think the RRP is $290 or more depending on the size you need from FO in this style of high end travel bag for RACE SUPs in the global roaming series. For this bag unwittingly, FO may have a market to sell into here as there are 30,000 IMCOs worldwide in 50 nations. I suspect the Equipe will fit into this bag as well.

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
7 Jul 2018 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Imax1 said..
^^^
mabee I should treat my imco od
nice bag , how much ?
Ps , what should this board weigh straps , cb and fin ?

Weight, I have never weighed mine but the following are the specs for around the era of my board or infact I think mine is a 1992-93 model whereas the 1994-1996 model for Atlanta is shown below. It is supposed to be 15.5 kg probably minus straps, fin and daggerboard.

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
7 Jul 2018 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

The Flying Objects seemed like the best quality. All the handles have heaps of re-enforcing. When you pick a board up from the center strap, I think the other's pop a few stitches. The bag as a whole seemed like heaps better quality all over.

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
7 Jul 2018 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dag said..
The Flying Objects seemed like the best quality. All the handles have heaps of re-enforcing. When you pick a board up from the center strap, I think the other's pop a few stitches. The bag as a whole seemed like heaps better quality all over.

Yes this is a top quality product for sure and it even looks good on the roof of the car !

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Speed SR250L Restoration" started by Dag