Forums > Windsurfing General

The right Town at the right moment

Created by MartinPli > 9 months ago, 17 Jan 2016
MartinPli
SA, 9 posts
17 Jan 2016 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

Hello guys,

My name is Martin, I am new on the forum and I have a big question for you that only you can answer. Let me explain

I going to do a school exchange in Australia from january to june (2017) and I don't know which city I should choose. I want to train (mostly slalom and some-times waves) as much as I can and I have the choice between Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and camberra. What do you think is better ? Thanks a lot for your answers and I hope to meet some of you next year

If I cannot go to Australia, there is also Auckland and Victoria in New Zealand. If you have some informations about these towns also, it would be great.

Thank you,
Martin

Windxtasy
WA, 4013 posts
17 Jan 2016 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

Perth is a great city to live in but our best wind is Nov- January. February and March you get some windy days but there are lengthy periods of not much. Wind from April thru to June is very light and infrequent. From July we start getting frontal systems but they are gusty rainy and cold.

clarence
TAS, 979 posts
18 Jan 2016 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Just be aware that some of these cities are HUGE geographically. Depending on which part of the cities you live in, it could be up to 1 hour drive to a somewhere on the ocean.

Clarence

Homestraight
QLD, 39 posts
18 Jan 2016 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

It's known as Windy Wellington for a reason. Consistent breeze down there but pack a good wetsuit as you'll need it most of the year.

MartinPli
SA, 9 posts
19 Jan 2016 4:33AM
Thumbs Up

After all your words, I think I am gonna choose Perth first and then Adelaide.

I just checked Wellington, it is not close to the sea, isn't it ?

Well, I will be close to the Universities, so I don't know yet if it is far or not in the town.

Any informations about New Zealand ?

Thanks

Subsonic
WA, 2963 posts
19 Jan 2016 5:52AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Martin, if you're staying close to UWA you'll be very close to pelican point , which is good for slalom/bump n jump.

If you're at any of the other universities, you'll be about a half hour drive to any one of the local spots.

The ocean is a little further away, but you'll still be able to get to most of the ocean sailing spots within an hour.

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
19 Jan 2016 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Surely Wellington. It's cold but mega windy.

You can go wave sailing at Plimmerton or slaloming at Porirua. Like Australia though, you're going to need a car.

MartinPli
SA, 9 posts
20 Jan 2016 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

I just checked the Wellington Stats, it is incredible !! colder than WA but not dramatic. I am in Montreal and today was -30.

I have heard a bit on Sidney too, looks really good. but how is the wind ?

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
20 Jan 2016 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

The Kiwis are awesome people too and Victoria U has a good rep.

MartinPli
SA, 9 posts
24 Jan 2016 1:50AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, I submit the form. Now let's see what will arrive :)

MartinPli
SA, 9 posts
3 Apr 2016 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone,

I just got my confirmation. It will be Adelaide in SA. I am pretty happy to get at least a destination in Australia!!!!!! Thank you for your help, I will probably travel around the country and try different spots etc...

Anyone in Adelaide ?

Mastbender
1972 posts
3 Apr 2016 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

I'm only about 15 miles from Adelaide, but it's the one in SLO county, California, sorry.
It's amazing that the U.S. has so many towns that were named after Ozzy towns, or is it the other way around??????? Just kidding.
But both towns are near good windsurfing, so there is that.

GarageSale
SA, 12 posts
3 Apr 2016 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Martin, talk to Dave from Windsurfing SA for more info (Check the Facebook page or the Seabreeze topic).

Adelaide has a number of good Windsurfing spots:

Northern beaches: North Haven, Semaphore (~30 min drive)
Closest to the city: Grange, Tennyson (~20 min drive)
Mid coast: Silver Sands and many more (~ 40 min drive)
South: Middleton, Goolwa (~ 1.5 h drive) <- good for waves

Only to name a few.

Nov-March is great, warm sunny weather and reliable seabreeze usually around 15-25 knots.

In winter you get a bit more swell, wind usually comes with stormy weather. On the odd occasion it gets in the 30-35 knots range. It doesn't get too cold, 4:3 wetsuit should be fine.

Marc

MartinPli
SA, 9 posts
8 Apr 2016 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Great Nice infos thanks ! I did not think i would need a wetsuit at this period, it is warm outside isn't it ?

jn1
2454 posts
8 Apr 2016 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MartinPli said..
Great Nice infos thanks ! I did not think i would need a wetsuit at this period, it is warm outside isn't it ?

Yes, the days are hot/warm, but the oceans are still cold (and the nights are cold as well). I'm normally using a 4/3 wettie October/November, then switch to a spring suit mid-Nov. but each you their own. If you come from a very cold climate, you'll probably find that a rashie and board shorts will do the job.

Zed
WA, 1243 posts
8 Apr 2016 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Perth mate.

MartinPli
SA, 9 posts
14 Apr 2016 7:12AM
Thumbs Up

Haha No I actually come from Martinique in the Caribbean. I am in Montreal only for studies.

I will try to go to Perth for sure, make the Lancelin Ocean Classic and most of the others events if I can !

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"The right Town at the right moment" started by MartinPli