Forums > Windsurfing General

Whyalla - any chance of windsurfing this Saturday

Created by russh > 9 months ago, 5 Mar 2008
russh
SA, 2923 posts
5 Mar 2008 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

I am heading up to whyalla with the tribe for a swim carniaval on saturday - any whyallans got any idea if the "SE seabreeze" for saturday is something worth putting some gear in the car for or should I leave it in the shed. - whats the best coastel waters forecast to check?

Have got room for one board and two sails - Go big (6.4 & 112L) or go in small (4.2-4.7 92L) ?

Cheers,

RussH

divaldo
SA, 2846 posts
5 Mar 2008 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Kym is in Whyalla this week flying back tonight and on Friday, I will get her to check out the seabreeze as she flys out each day, reckon with the heat you will be on it! Go Big!

russh
SA, 2923 posts
5 Mar 2008 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

divaldo said...

Kym is in Whyalla this week flying back tonight and on Friday, I will get her to check out the seabreeze as she flys out each day, reckon with the heat you will be on it! Go Big!

Cheers Dave - wish I was flying - will be one warm trip Friday arvo and Sunday - fingers crossed for a howlin SE monday afternoon!

EB
SA, 480 posts
6 Mar 2008 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

you would be praying 4 S S/E for the lighthouse. if it has more east say S/E 25knots plus.False bay lines up like u wouldn,t beleive. otherwise it is the boreshore and 30 kiters. fingers crossed they think the point is too dodge with the rocks 2km kite catching jety???

EB
SA, 480 posts
7 Mar 2008 12:19AM
Thumbs Up

swimming carnivals, yeh say gday to colin mogridge or shaun beatty 4 me

russh
SA, 2923 posts
7 Mar 2008 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that EB - if I run into the particular individuals I will - 6 hours in an indoor swim centre at 39 degrees for 4 events with heaps of pushy swim parents - can't wait for that - looks like 38, 39, 39, 38 degrees next 4 days with"fresh Northerlies " in the morning and "moderate" seabreezes.

Wouldn't it be nice for th BOM to say "Hey russ whyalla, Pt augusta 70% chance of 20-25knts s at 3:30 goin se-e at 530 at 23-28 knts.

The wind predictions for the northern gulfs look hard to work out for the southern sailor - who has trouble relating what BOM predict Vs what happens in his own back yard

Moday evening looks the go but I'll be backin suburbia by then

divaldo
SA, 2846 posts
7 Mar 2008 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Ah memories, whyalla indoor pool! They have a cool water slide and a kids pool that has like a flowing river in it which is cool fun.

Kym mentioned that it was still and glassy when she flew out on Wednesday. Maybe just take some windsurfing DVD's if you need a fix.

Zubby
SA, 885 posts
7 Mar 2008 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Russh,

I would leave your gear at home, it is looking like it will be to hot for a Seabreeze. I am going to keep my eye on it on Monday. I've got a 11 metre sail, desperate stuff hey.........

Maybe we have to pay the price for the windy week last week. I got four good seasons in, the only down side was I snapped my carbon chinook boom

Windsurfing is a very expensive sport but is worth every bit of it!!

EB
SA, 480 posts
7 Mar 2008 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

My 1st experience off the seabreezes in Whyalla were back in "87" 42 degrees 20 knot northerly. BHP was a hideous dust bowl.Thought it might have been ok to sail but the rotten tide was out. 4pm the southerly seabreeze kicked in, bang 30 knots tide didnt hesitate it flew in. 3.7 blown away I was suprised it was a lot of fun.Over my 12 years there i worked out that northerlies are best sailed at the Point Lowly boat ramp or in Fitzgerald Bay were the tide is not a problem. Beleive it or not a northerly can blow a sizey chop slash swell from Pt Augusta. Northerlies have to be sailed early. Who knows what Hewie(WIND & WAVE GOD) can deliver to those who come prepared?
Pity about the outdoor pool, heard they filled it in.Can't imagine a swim meet in the indoor. Don't fret the Westlands hotel is walking distance i'm sure u won't be missed.

divaldo
SA, 2846 posts
8 Mar 2008 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

I lived in Whyalla in 1978

Went back last year for a few weekends, not much has changed,

The indoor pool is pretty good, cant remember where the out door one was? EB?

Looks like a strong kiter community up at he city beach

EB
SA, 480 posts
8 Mar 2008 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Divaldo outdoor pool was in Searle st.Which is directly opposite the indoor pool on the other side of nicolson ave. Very nice 50m pool. Had to be closed and filled in due to major cracking and leaking in the floor. There is now outdoor hockey ground and stadium on the adjacent site.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Whyalla - any chance of windsurfing this Saturday" started by russh