Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

Learn to Windsurf & Team Windsurfing RQYS 2016/17

Created by cammd 7 months ago, 30 Sep 2016
cammd
QLD, 1298 posts
30 Sep 2016 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

A new season has arrived and with it some positive changes to progress the windsurfing programs at RQYS

This season there will be two distinct programs that will run alongside each other. Learn to Windsurf Course's will continue to introduce people to the sport and provide a safe, social and low cost entry into windsurfing and Team Windsurfing will encourage those already engaged to improve on their skills and continue to participate on a regular basis.

Team Windsurfing is the continuation of the program run over the last two seasons however this year it will not cater for novice sailors, they will be catered for by the Learn to Windsurf (LTW) Courses. Team Windsurfing (TW) participants will be expected to have basic windsurfing skills in place ie sail up wind and downwind around some marks non planing in light wind.

Reason for the change is to provide a environment where "graduates" from the LTW courses can come to continue to participate and progress in the sport, therefore much of the activities TW sailors will engage in will be offshore and will be designed to challenge them and develop their skills and confidence to progress them to where they can become independant windsurfers. All this will be done with full support from volunteer instructors with safety boat. Activities will vary weeke to week dependant on conditions but they will all be fun and take place in a safe and social club environment. TW sailors will be expected to self sufficient in terms of getting set up and packing up and launching and retrieving gear, in other words we will see you on the water.

Sounds good hey.

Cost: Free to RQYS members, non members will need to purchase a daily membership pass

Gear: There are no specific gear requirements however some activities will require the ability to sail upwind.

Note: Donated gear is available for use at no cost however there is no guarantee there will always be a board and rig available so participants are encouraged to bring their own gear for Team Windsurfing sessions.

PPE: Hat, sun protection and protective footwear are a must, so to is a life jacket however the club has spares on hand if needed.

First session is tomorrow at 9.00am

For the Newbies

Learn to Windsurf Course sessions will take place weekly at the same place and the same time as the Team Windsurfing

The LTW course will consist of 5 sessions over 5 weeks and will cover everything from sailing theory, wind awareness, board handling, rigging, launching and retrieving gear, self rescue plus all the basic sailing techniques required to progress a complete novice to a level where they can sail in and out and up and downwind confidently in up to 12 knots of wind.
The course is an Australian Sailing accredited course and participants will be issued with a log book and certificate upon completion.
The course will be run by 2 professional instructors with a maximum of 12 participants. So this is an intensive course with lots of one on one time with instructors.
All gear is provided and it is modern learner friendly gear.

In the last session ltw participants will join the team windsurfing crew to put their news skills to use.

Cost: $180 for 5 sessions, no need to be a member

What to bring: Hat sun protection and enclosed footwear is a must.

Next course will begin next weekend. I will post a link to the registration as soon as it get put online.

Mlwj64
QLD, 25 posts
1 Oct 2016 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

what happens if we miss a weekend or there is no wind?

cammd
QLD, 1298 posts
1 Oct 2016 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mlwj64 said..
what happens if we miss a weekend or there is no wind?

With the Team Windsurfing you can come and go as you please, it will be on every Saturday at 9.00 unless conditions are unsafe.

With the Learn to Windsurf there are contingency plans to cater for the unlikely event of zero wind, this program is for people new to windsurfing so not much wind is required however should there be no wind participants will still have a fun session and learn windsurfing skills. If you can't make it one week discuss options with the instructors and they will see what they can arrange to make up the lesson.

Today we had lots of wind with a fresh offshore breeze gusting to 20knts, the 12 or 13 TW sailors were all challenged by the strong breeze however they all sailed really well and had a great time.

Fly'inFrog
QLD, 8 posts
4 Oct 2016 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

Had a great session last Saturday with the TW and the amazing volunteers of RQ. Thanks so much to run this program, we have a lot of fun every time! Looking forward to the next one!
Vai

da vecta
QLD, 2208 posts
4 Oct 2016 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

It's bloody fantastic! The TW and the LTW are both great initiatives to help improve the sport. Hat's off to the volunteers that run this!

Mlwj64
QLD, 25 posts
14 Oct 2016 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

What time Saturday guys n gals?

Roy RMMC
13 posts
14 Oct 2016 5:44AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Camm

The RQ newsletter has a LTW programme starting on the 29th, is this a second course?
My son Matthew is keen to complete the course having had a go at the open day.

Thanks Roy

START WINDSURFING 1 COURSE - Learn to Windsurf at RQYS!

Membership NOT required | 5 Saturday mornings, 3 hour sessions:
Date: 29 October to 26 November 2016
Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Price: $180.00

cammd
QLD, 1298 posts
14 Oct 2016 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RMMC said..
Hi Camm

The RQ newsletter has a LTW programme starting on the 29th, is this a second course?
My son Matthew is keen to complete the course having had a go at the open day.

Thanks Roy

START WINDSURFING 1 COURSE - Learn to Windsurf at RQYS!

Membership NOT required | 5 Saturday mornings, 3 hour sessions:
Date: 29 October to 26 November 2016
Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Price: $180.00

Hi Roy

Yes its the second course, there was one in the September holidays and this up coming one is scheduled to commence 29th Oct.

here's the registration link www.yachtingaustralia.com.au/Entry/?EID=79539

Look forward to seeing Matthew there

cammd
QLD, 1298 posts
14 Oct 2016 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Team Windsurfing session is on at 9.00am, wind and tide are looking good for a little bit of fun slalom racing.

Some more good news, RQ have made the new techno equipment available to team windsurfers to hire for $10.00 on Saturday Team Windsurfing sessions. See reception if you wish to hire a board and rig.

Fly'inFrog
QLD, 8 posts
21 Oct 2016 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Hi There!
Is team windsurfing on tomorrow at RQ? Finally back and hoping to have a go on the water. :)
Vai

cammd
QLD, 1298 posts
21 Oct 2016 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Yes 9.00 am start, tide is out early but on the way in so it will get better thoughout the morning. Wind is looking pretty good, a nice North Easterley building as the day goes.

Session Plan for tomorrow will include a focus on Setting and using harness lines and will try to look something like this
9.00 Briefing
9.10 Rigging
9.30 Onshore Drills with harness
10.00 On water Drills with harness
10.45 races or free sailing depending on whats wanted
11.30 Derig and pack up
11.50 De brief

Windragon
QLD, 154 posts
21 Oct 2016 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good to have schedule and glad to hear there is new gear to hire.

cammd
QLD, 1298 posts
28 Oct 2016 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

TW Session Plan for 29/10

9.00am Briefing
9.10 Rigging
9.40 Shore Drills - Pumping
10.00 Water Drills - Pumping & Harness Lines
10.30 Free sailing or races
11.30 De rig & Pack up
12.00 De brief

Was great to see some of the participants using the harness and planing for the first time in the strong Northerly that kicked up early last week.

I thought given the lighter winds forecast for tomorrow we could practice the on water harness drills that we learned last week and also try a bit of pumping to get a board on the plane

Also look forward to meeting the new crew starting the Learn to Windsurf course tomorrow

Look's like it will be great morning

CeeVee
QLD, 7 posts
28 Oct 2016 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Jake had a massive grin after last weeks harness session, many thanks Cam!
Unfortunately will miss tomorrow, but looking forward to rejoining the crew next week.
Hope everyone has a great time tomorrow!

Maksior
QLD, 54 posts
8 Nov 2016 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
I will be there to help Camm run the sessions with some video. I also would like to invite those who are preparing for Worlds for next day (Sunday) training session starting with rigging at 10:00 and briefing (ready to go on water) at 10:45
Take care and see you soon!
Max

Windragon
QLD, 154 posts
9 Nov 2016 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

We have video to watch or you bought camera to record some videos with us?

Maksior
QLD, 54 posts
9 Nov 2016 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

I will have my Ipad for some video if needed ;)

cammd
QLD, 1298 posts
10 Nov 2016 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Looking like a great forecast for Team Windsurfing session

Be at the New Windsurfing Precinct for a 9.00am briefing and to get rigged and on the water by 9.45

Wind and tide looks good, Max (Aust Olympic Coach) will be joining us to teach some skills and he wants to organise some friendly racing so its promising to be a fantastic session with something for everyone.

Windragon
QLD, 154 posts
10 Nov 2016 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

New Windsurfing Precinct??

Maksior
QLD, 54 posts
11 Nov 2016 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

the regular place, just with some fancy buildings ;)

Roy RMMC
13 posts
26 Nov 2016 6:20AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Team, Is the LTW on this morning please?
Thanks Roy

cammd
QLD, 1298 posts
26 Nov 2016 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Roy

Sorry for the delayed reply, we tried to wait out the storm but in the end it was cancelled due to severe weather warning, next Saturday it will on again so hope to catch up with you then.

Cheers

Cameron

Roy RMMC
13 posts
29 Nov 2016 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

No problems at all Cameron, we waited until 9.45am and then called it as there was no sign of the rain letting up.
Looking forward to Saturday now

Maksior
QLD, 54 posts
11 Dec 2016 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
I would like to invite you to upcoming Saturday- 17.12 for Team Windsurfing session in RQ.
What is on the agenda?

PLANNING GYBES on long boards

We will do some drills on shore that I found very helpful. Than practice on water with some slalom race in the end.

If you are keen on doing Sunday (18th) cruize to Wello for a cup if coffee let me know. I am keen to organize it if you are!
Best regards and see you on Saturday!

Windragon
QLD, 154 posts
11 Dec 2016 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

Need to see if the wind forecast look good next Sat morning

Windragon
QLD, 154 posts
17 Dec 2016 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to Max for the great tips about planing gybe.
Thanks to Dave for having fixed my broken sail battern.

Maksior
QLD, 54 posts
17 Dec 2016 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
The Sunday Cruise this Sunday is a no go as the weather is tricky. Spoke with Cam about our next Team Windsurfing Session. It will be on the 14th of January. I will be in Adelaide at that time but will be the following Saturday at RQ on the 21st. Merry Christmas to all, thank you for great sessions and fantastic 2016. Hope to see you in 2017!
M

Jellylegs
QLD, 1 posts
19 Dec 2016 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Merry Christmas! Hope you all have a happy new year and see you in 2017!

Mlwj64
QLD, 25 posts
4 Jan 2017 1:36AM
Thumbs Up

When is the first learn to windsurf ?program starting in 2017?? I have the month of January OFF work! Keen as mustard!

Legroom
QLD, 16 posts
4 Jan 2017 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, the wife and I interested as well. Just back from a SUPing road trip and keen to give windsurfing a try. After starting Morgan's "learning curve" thread (great read), going in with eyes wide open.

cammd
QLD, 1298 posts
4 Jan 2017 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mlwj64 said..
When is the first learn to windsurf ?program starting in 2017?? I have the month of January OFF work! Keen as mustard!

Select to expand quote
Legroom said..
Hi, the wife and I interested as well. Just back from a SUPing road trip and keen to give windsurfing a try. After starting Morgan's "learning curve" thread (great read), going in with eyes wide open.

Hi Guys the first Team Windsurfing (TW) session is the 14th Jan at 9.00 am, I am not sure when the next Learn to Windsurf (LTW) course is, I will follow up with the Academy tomorrow

Are you guys interested in the Team windsurfing sessions or in the LTW course

Team windsurfing is for people with the basic knowledge looking to improve their skills in a social and supported environment

Learn to Windsurf courses are for beginners taking the first steps in the sport (5 x 3hour sessions)

Look forward to catching up with everyone soon.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Learn to Windsurf & Team Windsurfing RQYS 2016/17" started by cammd